Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Gamers! is a masterpiece of character interaction. My try to defend the show. (If you havent watched the show yet, read as well)

New
Aug 30, 2021 11:34 AM
Jan 2021
This show has a pretty low score on MAL. This is not a bad score in general on MAL but everyone doesn't want to give a show a shot just because its under 7. Everybody knows that MAL ratings suck in general but thats a topic for another time.
Gamers! is a show that was quite popular in summer season 2017 (over 500k members now as well) and got promoted by crunchyroll quite hard. Popular youtubers like Gigguk and MothersBasement did talk about them positively as well.
To top that almost everybody can agree that episode 6 (the confession) was wonderfully crafted. It was really an entertaining episode. But after that the score declined and especially the last episode made people really dissatisfied. I definetelly can agree on this feeling.
With the end of the show more and more people critized the structure of the show.
Here comes the notorious "misunderstanding" theme. Here comes the crucial point.
The average watcher says that every single shenanigans could have been been solved if they'd just talk with eath other. But the author created believable characters that don't have just one character trade like "i'm the tsundere" or "i'm the nerd that eventually attracts every female characters. The anime "tries" (more to the tries later) to give insight to every mindset of each character. We all overthink things. We want the best for our friends but we don't back down if someone disrespects our interests. Some are more open minded to these (Aguri) but especially in love it's hard to talk about these things in complete honesty.
I can imagine to get into these kind of trials with my friends.
To be completely honest i have to admit that Gamers! doesn't work so well in the medium of "anime". Many of you know the light novel is the source material to Gamers!. After reading the LN for a while I can definetely say that the LN surpasses the anime. Why? The author has much more "time" to develelop his characters and gives to every event the thoughts of another character. The characters are much more fleshed out and there are tons of details. The anime tries it with the episode 6 which did work very well like I said but never attempts it for real again.
Ttime for my conclusion. Gamers! made a believable attempt to mimic our weird human thinking. You could disagree but we can at least agree that this romcom tried something more wacky than most romance stories. I hope that monologue of mine made you rewatch this series or that a new watcher wouldnt judge this show just for the rating but to give it a fair go. Thats what every show deserves at least.
Sadly the LN didnt get an official english release up until now.(weirdly enough only germany did). But there exists a fan translation for all the 12 volumes. I can send you these through direct message if you want. And if you finished the anime and decided to read the LN i'd recommend you to start from the beginning. You will appreciate it. If you dont have that much time on your hand id say to start from Volume 3.
Id appreciate any kind of feedback. A rewatch would be greatly appreciated as well.
Cheers

Side note:
If youre wondering about the weird pacing of the last episodes here are some explanations:
Spoilers obviously: The anime finishes on Volume 5 but in the LN theres actually a huge cliffhanger. Studio Pine Jam probably knew that there wouldn't be a season 2 so they made the non canon ending in episode 11 and used a side story from a side novel as their last episodes. Thats why it feels so out of place.

If you have any more questions you can also join r/gamersanime on Reddit and there will be plenty of kind people to help you.
Aug 30, 2021 11:48 AM
Mar 2021
I love this show. This is the funniest show I have EVER seen and tied for my 5th fav anime. Love to see the show get some good plublistity.
Also I would love to read the LN I have only been able to read the manga so far so if you could send it that would be much appreciated:)
Aug 30, 2021 12:17 PM
Feb 2021
Frankly, I actually thought this show was pretty decent and wasn’t really that bad. It had some nice execution in it’s ideas like you stated. For the misunderstandings, I was kinda split on them. Sometimes they were decently crafted and actually felt like they were either intentional and plausible for how each character was. On the other hand, it would sometimes get repetitive and just not be funny to me. So yeah, I think this show get a little too much flak, but I still wouldn’t say it’s underrated or some romcom gem.
Aug 30, 2021 12:36 PM
Nov 2019
One thing--> 6.84 is not a bad score? Ok then whats with animes over8. 00???
Aug 30, 2021 1:24 PM
May 2011
MxrcoH1Ibxr said:

Those shows are really, really good. For instance, outside of sequels (whose scores are inflated) no show this season is above 8.00.

Inversely, if 6.84 is bad, what does that say about shows below 6.00? Or 5.00?
Aug 30, 2021 1:33 PM

Feb 2020
I am not gone read the wall of text. But yeah I actually liked gamers very much. It actually didn't notice it had a score below 7. (probably it's because mass hate on misunderstanding plot device used, but it was so effective). It's a shame, such a great romance anime. But i have seen many great anime below 7 other than this, so nothing new here. oh well, it will go under the my list of underrated anime i guess.
AdampkAug 30, 2021 1:37 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Aug 30, 2021 1:34 PM
Nov 2019
Fail_Man_X said:
MxrcoH1Ibxr said:

Those shows are really, really good. For instance, outside of sequels (whose scores are inflated) no show this season is above 8.00.

its good no doubt but not more...
I know when its aired it had a score around high 7.xx but know its below 7 and tbh many shows are better than this one, but thats just my opinion...
Shows below 6 or 5 are so low cuz most of the anime community members dont like them and so is it the other way round, 8.xx shows have this score cuz they are liked by most community members.. So easy it is.. And we are not talking about hating on popular animes too...
Aug 30, 2021 1:37 PM

Nov 2017
one of the best comedies and characters ever for me personally

plz @ me
Aug 30, 2021 1:40 PM
Nov 2019
Fail_Man_X said:
MxrcoH1Ibxr said:

and theres 1 anime over 8.xx...its not even a sequel but kk
Aug 30, 2021 1:45 PM

Apr 2019
2017 + Generic Design...
It must be garbage.
Aug 30, 2021 1:51 PM
May 2011
MxrcoH1Ibxr said:
Fail_Man_X said:

I know when its aired it had a score around high 7.xx but know its below 7 and tbh many shows are better than this one, but thats just my opinion...
Shows below 6 or 5 are so low cuz most of the anime community members dont like them and so is it the other way round, 8.xx shows have this score cuz they are liked by most community members.. So easy it is.. And we are not talking about hating on popular animes too...

Fair enough. I won't argue that the score should be higher. I trust that it is just people's honest opinions. 6.84 isn't bad, though, and it would be unfortunate if people avoided it just because it is below 7.00

MxrcoH1Ibxr said:
Fail_Man_X said:

Love Live Superstar doesn't count.
Aug 30, 2021 1:53 PM
Nov 2019
Fail_Man_X said:
MxrcoH1Ibxr said:

Fair enough. I won't argue that the score should be higher. I trust that it is just people's honest opinions. 6.84 isn't bad, though, and it would be unfortunate if people avoided it just because it is below 7.00

MxrcoH1Ibxr said:

its not a seuqel only an alternative setting - > in a way of a"reproduction" tbh idont know lol
Aug 30, 2021 2:08 PM
May 2011
MxrcoH1Ibxr said:
Fail_Man_X said:

its not a seuqel only an alternative setting - > in a way of a"reproduction" tbh idont know lol

You're not wrong, lol. But c'mon. After 5 seasons and 3 groups, "Love Live" has filtered out people who wouldn't like/be interested in it. That's why it has a high score but low member count
Aug 30, 2021 2:36 PM
Jan 2021
The concept was good and execution was alright, not bad but not that great either. The characters are just the usual comedy anime characters, I don't know what depth you're talking about cause there's not much of it. Compared to Chūnibyō Demo Koi ga Shitai and Kyōkai no Kanata (similar demo target) this Anime lacks a lot, character's depth-wise (this anime is similar to Gekkan Shōjo Nozaki-kun, Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru, and Tatoeba Last Dungeon in terms of Character's Depth IMO). But I laughed and still think that overall it was good(got a few good laughs) so I gave it a 7.
Hot_Green_TeaAug 30, 2021 3:02 PM
Aug 30, 2021 2:40 PM

Jul 2021
It's a sad/painful cringe comedy. That alone doesn't cater to a lot of people. It certainly had it's handful of funny moments that were very enjoyable, but the main dumb joke was tied to a horse and dragged over the whole circumference of the sun.

That and the fact that the confusion wasn't really cleared up in the end made me fucking want to hit my head so hard that I'd forget all about it. Watching communicationally inept high schoolers being retarded for 12 episodes straight really doesn't jingle my bells.
Aug 30, 2021 3:28 PM
Oct 2019
Thanks for explaining that ending. This show was hilarious and I loved the op but those last few episodes threw me off
Aug 30, 2021 5:54 PM
Sep 2020
Gamers! Is a great anime. I showed it to my friend to doesn't watch anime and he liked. There's just something great about the show
Aug 30, 2021 7:35 PM
Jul 2017
It was a good anime. Had good laughs of how characters always do stuff that could be lead to misunderstanding.
Aug 30, 2021 9:47 PM
Jan 2021
It’s a show about gamers who don’t really game. I was sad. That’s why I didn’t rate it super high. It’s just a normal generic romance
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Aug 31, 2021 5:41 PM
Mar 2021
Tbh I hated this anime no offense people have different opinions but I just found it boring, like I was hoping for more gaming stuff...
Aug 31, 2021 10:42 PM
Dec 2020
The show saturized the famous anime trope way too much to the point of akward to watch sometime
Its not bad but there is nothing other than the over-saturized trope which male the anime nothing more than a chill happy fun SoL romcom anime
Sep 1, 2021 8:52 AM
Jan 2021
I agree this is rated way too low i should say this show deserve to be rated between 7.5 or 8 at least .the animation is also decent the choreography was good even the voice acting in Japanese was good i don't know why it still stuck on 6
Sep 11, 2021 12:26 PM
Apr 2021
truee i loved this show it was soo funny , only thing is that they ended the whole season just in middle of nowhere
Sep 30, 2021 3:03 AM

Mar 2018
I really loved the Show it was quiet Funny and enjoyable since i my self is a gamer...kinda sad to see how it's rating is coming down even tho it's based on How Gamer's r in Life..idk what could people want more than this show lol...it is really good for it's Genre atleast 8 should be given
Oct 13, 2021 11:27 PM
Sep 2021
herofelix77 said:
This show has a pretty low score on MAL. This is not a bad score in general on MAL but everyone doesn't want to give a show a shot just because its under 7. Everybody knows that MAL ratings suck in general but thats a topic for another time.
Gamers! is a show that was quite popular in summer season 2017 (over 500k members now as well) and got promoted by crunchyroll quite hard. Popular youtubers like Gigguk and MothersBasement did talk about them positively as well.
To top that almost everybody can agree that episode 6 (the confession) was wonderfully crafted. It was really an entertaining episode. But after that the score declined and especially the last episode made people really dissatisfied. I definetelly can agree on this feeling.
With the end of the show more and more people critized the structure of the show.
Here comes the notorious "misunderstanding" theme. Here comes the crucial point.
The average watcher says that every single shenanigans could have been been solved if they'd just talk with eath other. But the author created believable characters that don't have just one character trade like "i'm the tsundere" or "i'm the nerd that eventually attracts every female characters. The anime "tries" (more to the tries later) to give insight to every mindset of each character. We all overthink things. We want the best for our friends but we don't back down if someone disrespects our interests. Some are more open minded to these (Aguri) but especially in love it's hard to talk about these things in complete honesty.
To be completely honest i have to admit that Gamers! doesn't work so well in the medium of "anime". Many of you know the light novel is the source material to Gamers!. After reading the LN for a while I can definetely say that the LN surpasses the anime. Why? The author has much more "time" to develelop his characters and gives to every event the thoughts of another character. The characters are much more fleshed out and there are tons of details. The anime tries it with the episode 6 which did work very well like I said but never attempts it for real again.
Ttime for my conclusion. Gamers! made a believable attempt to mimic our weird human thinking. You could disagree but we can at least agree that this romcom tried something more wacky than most romance stories. I hope that monologue of mine made you rewatch this series or that a new watcher wouldnt judge this show just for the rating but to give it a fair go. Thats what every show deserves at least.
Sadly the LN didnt get an official english release up until now.(weirdly enough only germany did). But there exists a fan translation for all the 12 volumes. I can send you these through direct message if you want. And if you finished the anime and decided to read the LN i'd recommend you to start from the beginning. You will appreciate it. If you dont have that much time on your hand id say to start from Volume 3.
Id appreciate any kind of feedback. A rewatch would be greatly appreciated as well.
Cheers

Side note:
If youre wondering about the weird pacing of the last episodes here are some explanations:
Spoilers obviously: The anime finishes on Volume 5 but in the LN theres actually a huge cliffhanger. Studio Pine Jam probably knew that there wouldn't be a season 2 so they made the non canon ending in episode 11 and used a side story from a side novel as their last episodes. Thats why it feels so out of place.

If you have any more questions you can also join r/gamersanime on Reddit and there will be plenty of kind people to help you.

Can you pass the link for the LN??? I loved this show and I wanna see what happens next, I’m glad both relationship were stable tho
Oct 13, 2021 11:30 PM
Jan 2021
Rock_87 said:
herofelix77 said:
Cheers

Side note:

Can you pass the link for the LN??? I loved this show and I wanna see what happens next, I’m glad both relationship were stable tho

http://skythewood.blogspot.com/p/gamers.html

There you go. Have fun! I’d say start from the beginning if you have time, if not, from volume 4
Nov 9, 2021 12:34 PM

Jul 2021
It's so bored and very predictable.
Nov 30, 2021 10:06 PM
Feb 2021
This anime deserves to be 6.00 . I was so overhyped with first few episodes and was fuming about how the hell this show has low ratings I mean what the heck ??

Later as episode goes it was so painful with those misunderstanding relationship each episode after episode .. such a great potential anime got ruined still it's just a one time watchable show.
Jan 5, 2022 7:33 AM

Mar 2018
I Watched that Show in 2018 and really Enjoyed it and couldn't believe it's rating now...It has everything it was quiet enjoyable Show on Gamer's idk what people expected...Comedy was Cool everything was done right...and characters r pretty cool
Jan 20, 2022 10:34 AM
Jul 2021
I enjoyed Gamers precisely because it never does seem to take itself seriously, and has an utterly labyrinthine series of misunderstandings and love polygons. It’s by no means high art, but watching every single event just make things worse is pretty fun when there isn’t one “main couple” that I am genuinely rooting for. I couldn’t care less who ends up with whom, which lets me just sit back and laugh at the sheer silliness.

In terms of score, I think a six is more than fair if 5 were truly “average” as it is designed to be, but MAL users seem to have assigned 7.5 as “average” instead so whatever.
Mar 26, 2022 12:55 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
To be honest, I enjoyed this show a ton back when it first aired too. But I'd a feeling it was because I was still kind of finding my groove in the medium then. Now, that I'm rewatching it (at E7 right now), I can confidently say that this is indeed one of the best shows when it comes to character interactions and misunderstanding galore xD. E6's finale is just a pure treat to watch!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Apr 20, 2022 11:19 PM
May 2019
I gave this a 6 when I first watched it two years ago but upon doing a second watch right now I changed my score to 10. Loving it.
Apr 23, 2022 3:56 PM

Mar 2008
I just finished watching. Well, it's not some mega deep anime, but fun. A solid romcom for me, and the main theme (games) is always close to my heart. I even like the last episode when our team tries to explain to normie the meaning of games and that DLC is not always a scam. Damn... i've been there. Sure after 11 ep. it feels little off but still not terrible. For me this show is a solid 8, now need to read LN.

May 20, 2022 9:04 AM
Feb 2022
herofelix77 said:
Cheers

Side note:

I second you, OP. Gamers! is an uncomprehended masterpiece, and it's also very funny with good characters and good soundtrack.

But don't worry about the scores, this site's top animes is a joke in 90% of the time.
Jul 28, 2022 5:41 PM

Oct 2019
this show is really far better than the score makes you think.

its like a 7.75/10 in my book.

and is in my top 3 favorite comedy anime.

plus the fact that episode 6 I think is my second favorite comedy episode.

it was 1st before the rap episode in kaguya sama.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 20, 2022 1:19 PM
Aug 2015
MAL simply do not have good taste. Gamers is a comedic masterpiece.
Oct 30, 2022 9:04 PM

Oct 2018
It wasn't bad, started strong with some interesting character dynamics, but felt like it lost a lot of dramatic steam in the last few episodes. Episode 12 was particularly disappointing being a mix of fan-service and discussion of gaming without a hint of further character developments, essentially leaving the story around Chiaki unresolved with her gaming identity still unknown to Amano. Definitely felt like a bit of an unresolved ending that was left hanging at the end of episode 11.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gamers! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 13, 2017

274 by kingin92 »»
Aug 21, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Gamers! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2017

321 by SuperSonic486 »»
Jun 4, 1:34 PM

Poll: » [Poll] Gamers Romance

Lnlover - Aug 30, 2017

30 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Apr 13, 8:19 PM

» Misunderstandings

Shomix - Sep 29, 2017

13 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Apr 13, 8:18 PM

Poll: » [the usual] BEST GIRL POLL

GangsterCat - Sep 7, 2017

13 by Thyriad-oPPailov »»
Apr 13, 8:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.