Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Eminence in Shadow (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Oct 5, 2022 12:47 PM
Feb 2018
Mcsuper said:
This one is interesting, in that the isekai mechanics seem a bit more well refined and distinct from the usual generic setup of a truck-kun killing. It is perhaps a bit edgy, and Kagenou reminds me of Ayanokouji from COTE, but just a whole lot more interesting in general. The show itself resembles Overlord to some extent as well, with Kagenou having a bunch of subordinates. Not entirely sure how much I'll like this due to the animation being rather sub-par, but I will say that this was one of the best first episodes for a non-sequel series this season so far, alongside Gundam.
Are you acquainting this guy with Ayanokoji ?
Oct 5, 2022 12:50 PM

Mar 2020
Neaow said:
Mcsuper said:
This one is interesting, in that the isekai mechanics seem a bit more well refined and distinct from the usual generic setup of a truck-kun killing. It is perhaps a bit edgy, and Kagenou reminds me of Ayanokouji from COTE, but just a whole lot more interesting in general. The show itself resembles Overlord to some extent as well, with Kagenou having a bunch of subordinates. Not entirely sure how much I'll like this due to the animation being rather sub-par, but I will say that this was one of the best first episodes for a non-sequel series this season so far, alongside Gundam.
Are you acquainting this guy with Ayanokoji ?

Very minimally, from Kagenou's pre-reincarnated self at least, didn't specify clearly there. His reincarnated self is definitely not like him.
Oct 5, 2022 12:51 PM
Nov 2020
The ending feels like a season finale
Oct 5, 2022 1:02 PM
Jun 2015
I think it was the the scene when Minoru/Cid brutally beat up the guys. I was waiting for that if he get isekai, but I think it just happen at the end. It's still good though. I can't wait to see what happens next!
Oct 5, 2022 1:08 PM
Aug 2015
Looks like we got ourselves a series!
That was a good one, I didn't anticipate a reincarnation. I thought he has faked his death and the high school girl would somehow join him and the story goes from there. Nope,
this goes a completely different direction with magic and stuff. I had my doubts how that would happen as I only saw the cover with the cat girls and stuff, but now it is clear.

Oct 5, 2022 1:15 PM
Oct 2016
Uma história de um aspecto raro.
Oct 5, 2022 1:18 PM
Apr 2022
looks cool :0!! im excited to see what happens next
what do i put here,, no rly im not creative ; - ;
Oct 5, 2022 1:31 PM

Mar 2022
Yep, this is definitely something I would enjoy.
Oct 5, 2022 1:33 PM
Sep 2020
de momento normal, nada que me llame tanto la atención, falta esperar ver que el resto de capitulos destaca la historia.
Oct 5, 2022 1:38 PM
Jul 2016
It's all edge no point
Oct 5, 2022 1:41 PM

Feb 2022
Looks good, waiting for next episode!

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
||Profile||----------------||Anime||----------------||Manga||
Oct 5, 2022 1:50 PM
Nov 2016
Am i the only one who is confused and disappointed. The points i loved about this manga was the edge comedy, this right now EP 1 is full edge. What happened the manga? was the LN starting different from manga?? The fights etc was pretty ok made sense but .. what happened. The whole making fun of the genre is gone ... F
Oct 5, 2022 1:56 PM
Mar 2021
The actions scenes were well animated.
For a second when I was watching this I thought I clicked on the wrong show until I was halfway done with it. I loved the nice cop out 5/5
Oct 5, 2022 1:57 PM

Apr 2009
wow, that was so trash. I can't even explain why, but that was so bad. The direction, atmosphere, everything is so tropy.
Oct 5, 2022 2:01 PM
Apr 2017
If it ended of moonlight sonata it would have been one of the best first episode ever made. Still it was very good and I hope it manages to keep the hype up!
WoSenOct 5, 2022 2:08 PM
Oct 5, 2022 2:11 PM

Jan 2008
They definitely went a bit too tryhard serious without explaining or testing the waters which they should have just gone in order of the actual novels/manga but those who already know about the show and main character already know what they're getting into. So those who are anime only/new are probably dumbfounded by how edgy this was. Personally, I felt they should have just saved this story for some later flash back or something.

I won't get too much into it but I will at least say this series is tagged comedy for a reason.
Oct 5, 2022 2:18 PM
Apr 2017
Paul said:
They definitely went a bit too tryhard serious without explaining or testing the waters which they should have just gone in order of the actual novels/manga but those who already know about the show and main character already know what they're getting into. So those who are anime only/new are probably dumbfounded by how edgy this was. Personally, I felt they should have just saved this story for some later flash back or something.

I won't get too much into it but I will at least say this series is tagged comedy for a reason.

sure but i think it's fun and unusual to make the spectator think that it is a edgy action anime for the length of an entire episode while being in fact a comedy anime.
Oct 5, 2022 2:24 PM

May 2018
My man's out here living the ultimate chuuni life, mad respect
Oct 5, 2022 2:25 PM
Apr 2011
WoSen said:
Paul said:

sure but i think it's fun and unusual to make the spectator think that it is a edgy action anime for the length of an entire episode while being in fact a comedy anime.

The problem with that is some people just might believe its just another harem isekai anime ... which would be sad. While it does suffer from a lot of the tropes the edgelord comedy usually saves it.
Oct 5, 2022 2:27 PM

Jan 2021
This is one of the few shows this season that I heard good things about, so I was highly anticipating this premiere. And it did not disappoint. I really like all of the character designs, and the story seems intriguing. It also seems to actually have a budget, which isn't something you see very often in recent isekai. Hopefully it'll be a good 20 episode run. The OP (or ED, I don't know) is good as well.

Oct 5, 2022 2:28 PM
Jul 2022
I liked the first episode.........
Oct 5, 2022 2:35 PM

Feb 2017
lol not sure if it's a comedy or it's taking itself serious but the over the top chuuni kid gets hit by a truck and is now able to live his chuuni dreams means I'll be watching it as a comedy.
Oct 5, 2022 2:37 PM

Sep 2007
I paused the ep a few times to check if I was watching the first episode and I was watching the right anime...
I did not expect a prologue type episode that covers what happened before he Isekai'd.....this is usually covered in flashbacks or a OVA or something....interesting that they presented it this way....but it also feels like the anime still hasn't started.

The "early end credits" also reminds me of some other video games (of semi-recent popularity) that also pretended to end early by showing end credits early---but they were no where near done. If I was not familiar with this shtick already I'm sure that when this episode did it I might've had my "mind blown" in disbelief but unfortunately since I've seen it done before I could only lol.

tl;dr: This felt like episode 0 to me. Nice start but I need a real episode 1 for a more solid opinion....The only 2 things I can conclude right now is:
Wow, not holding back on violence and blood huh? And
....Did not realize everyone he recruits is a girl...well I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering his pre-Isekai life...
IkanoOct 5, 2022 2:40 PM
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Oct 5, 2022 2:43 PM
Jul 2018
amazing straight fire
Oct 5, 2022 2:46 PM

Oct 2021
SunlitSonata said:
EdgyLord666 said:

Don't blame the author for the horniness of the anime, there is no stripping and rape threats in the original source.

Fair enough. But I will blame the adaptation for trying to go that route as a means to glorify the MC. Apparently his getting hit by a truck was played like a joke in the manga, but it's bizarrely serious here.

This entire episode is supposed to be a joke, it's a punchline without context. What a weird way to start a series.
Oct 5, 2022 2:49 PM

Sep 2018
lol, I dunno about this one.... Everything turned to straight comedy in those last few minutes. Be interesting to see how serious it takes itself in future episodes.

Edit: I see it has the comedy tag, OK. I think I'll enjoy this.
Oct 5, 2022 2:50 PM
Apr 2022
best greek alphabet iv ever seen
Oct 5, 2022 2:53 PM

Sep 2016
Nice episode with alright action scenes. I didnt know this was gonna be a Isekai at first so gonna be interesting to see how it will develop.
;

This Life. This Night. Your Story. Your Pain. Your Hope. It matters. All of it matters.

;

Oct 5, 2022 2:54 PM
Jul 2021
Mr truck kun appear ! btw technically this is episode 0 prolog. lmao.
Oct 5, 2022 2:55 PM

Feb 2017
EdgyLord666 said:
SunlitSonata said:

Fair enough. But I will blame the adaptation for trying to go that route as a means to glorify the MC. Apparently his getting hit by a truck was played like a joke in the manga, but it's bizarrely serious here.

This entire episode is supposed to be a joke, it's a punchline without context. What a weird way to start a series.

So this anime is indeed comedy?
Wonder if we'll get about the same amount of people that are complaining this is just another generic isekai complaining when the show goes 180 and Mr. McCool guy becomes the butt of the joke.
Oct 5, 2022 3:02 PM
May 2022
Minor details in the anime that you might have missed ".

Truck kun was forshadowed in the early minutes"
Minoru let akane got kidnapped for the sake of his plan as a Eminence in shadow (basically he just forgot to change outfit💀)
He's also doing training while in school (his bag are so heavy and his weights can be seen upon looking at it in some angle)
The opening is a banger but the whole visuals is out of place" ( From Slice of life,horror,thriller and holy god Magical girls and the last part is some edgy people)
The credit scene played after our mc died can't stop laughing lol😂
Oct 5, 2022 3:08 PM

Oct 2021
Luxeraph said:
EdgyLord666 said:

So this anime is indeed comedy?
Wonder if we'll get about the same amount of people that are complaining this is just another generic isekai complaining when the show goes 180 and Mr. McCool guy becomes the butt of the joke.

Yes, it's similar to OPM, a serious story with a comic relief mc.
Oct 5, 2022 3:15 PM
Oct 2019
My boy, Truck-kun did it again 🤣

Interesting, the Isekai world looks like Europe back in the 1900's.
Oct 5, 2022 3:20 PM

Jul 2022
i read the manga but it seemed to have more of a comedic vibe than the anime so i was surprised by this episode which felt more serious, and the animation was better than i expected.
i look forward to this
Oct 5, 2022 3:24 PM
Jul 2011
Loved it! Hope it sticks close to the manga
Oct 5, 2022 3:28 PM
May 2021
Ooo this series looks interesting!!
Oct 5, 2022 3:28 PM
Aug 2021
The art kinda reminds me of Darwin's game, because it's the same studio.. anw i like the gore & violence tho I'm afraid because of a lot of women appeared in the end
Who are they?
his slave? don't tell it's his harem... nahhh
Oct 5, 2022 3:37 PM

Feb 2013
RMTWASHERE said:
PoisonedTea said:
So generic Isekai.

what a disappointing start.

Also he is a murderer. But the show is trying to make it feel he not a villain. This episode has so clashing tones. In stead of calling cops on what he saw he took justice into his own hands, I thought we were getting a different type of Light Yagami for a sec.

its more like konosuba and overlord mixed together rather than anything else. The MC was an embodiment of an chuni edgelord.

Just didn't think the episode was good, Show might be great.
Oct 5, 2022 3:40 PM

Dec 2021
Different path from manga, Its start from volume 4 i recall it, damn i didnt know what volume 4 do, at least fandom/wiki tell about it, not gonna spoil but can we stop the kidnapping and raping at VERY FIRST EPISODE? im sick of it already
Oct 5, 2022 3:44 PM

Nov 2014
Not knowing anything about the original source or the description, I'm thinking its like a isekai twice, as in he died in japan and was isekai'd to the other world and then he died again and was isekai'd back to japan, at least that's what i'm getting from the first episode.
Oct 5, 2022 3:45 PM

Jan 2022
That truck-kun into a roll credit was hilarious, it could be a great anime.
I like everything, ok
Oct 5, 2022 3:46 PM
Sep 2020
finally, a good isekai that’s enjoyable😪
Oct 5, 2022 3:53 PM

Oct 2011
This right here is some damn good entertainment. Loved this.
Oct 5, 2022 3:55 PM
Jul 2017
Loved the manga this is based on. the MC was kind of a "failing upwards idiot" but that might just change here.
Oct 5, 2022 4:06 PM
Feb 2016
MC sits in the last chair by the window. That alone tells you it's going to be epic!
Oct 5, 2022 4:27 PM

Jul 2021
Love how they are describing the MC to be such a serious badass, when in all actuality he is a complete dumbass and it’s downright hilarious. I’m soo looking forward to this series.
Oct 5, 2022 4:37 PM

Jun 2020
mc seems really cool, i need more power!
nice first episode though ^^
i heart cats

Oct 5, 2022 4:40 PM
Nov 2021
Pretty good episode. I kinda wish she'd found out he was her savior after he got killed but I imagine we're moving past any scene in his original world. Im still skeptical this will be a good anime because there's going to be a large harem involved but I'm hoping it'll be fantastic. Maybe they'll take their time adding characters and we don't get the full set of harem characters in the season.
Oct 5, 2022 5:00 PM
Apr 2014
The way they presented the MC through the view of a girl was a turn-off for me, and at first, I thought "Did I get hold of the right animé?" That was until the girl got kidnapped and we got to see some bad-ass fights in that warehouse. Then truck-kun does his job off-screen... That was anti-climactic. And it covers the entire 1st episode in the old world, which felt pretty much dragged, only to finish it off with a small taste of what his new life will be like... I guess the next episode will show us the new world and how the MC will do beginning his new life. Tbh, I was pretty disappointed as I have also heard the community talking about the show and was really impressed by the PVs. Guess I was expecting too much for a 1st episode. Hope it will get better soon.
Oct 5, 2022 5:05 PM

Feb 2020
literally never said this about an anime before but the visual quality looks like trash and hurts my eyes wth...

Pages (15) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is Cid still oblivious ?

meteor4000 - Oct 19

11 by meteor4000 »»
7 hours ago

» About Alexia's rejection scene in episode 5

Jatin587 - Oct 16

31 by Sayan_Pal »»
Oct 17, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2023

773 by Sayan_Pal »»
Oct 12, 4:29 PM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2023

261 by ShadowkillZ »»
Oct 9, 5:27 AM

Poll: » Kage no Jitsuryokusha ni Naritakute! Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2023

124 by ShadowkillZ »»
Oct 9, 3:47 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.