Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 9, 2022 6:05 PM

Mar 2014
How did they manage to make it so abysmally ugly? Why is it so bright???

I also hate the altered content. Abysmal original writing too.
Jul 9, 2022 6:13 PM
Oct 2020
Marinate1016 said:
DominusStult said:

Just going to stick with putting the first five minutes side by side with events in the manga. I think it says most of what I want to say about the difference in Yuuhi's character itself.

In the manga the first time Noi returns Yuuhi is stunned by Noi returning, looking between him and where he'd just thrown him. His immediate response is one of confusion for fairly obvious, natural reasons. When Noi keeps trying to tell him what to do he gets pissed and holds him in the air by the tail, stating the following "This is my house which makes you an uninvited guest. You barge into my room then start orderring me around. Don't you have any manners, sir knight?" He then proceeds to hold him up in the air, making it perfectly clear that this is entirely a power play and he's not going to let Noi down until he begs for it. Afterwards he calmly leaves, telling Noi not to follow him or sit on his shoulder to which Noi explains that nobody else can see him.

In the anime, the first time Noi returns Yuuhi backs up against the wall with his arms raised. His immediate response is one of not just shock but a small amount of fear. While he then holds Noi in the same way, rather than forcing his point and having Noi beg to be put down, he throws Noi out the window again. He then freaks out when the same thing as just happened five seconds before happens again and then freaks out when he tries the exact same thing a third time leading to him crashing his bike.

Originally, I was most concerned about the animation, figuring that the story and characters would be kept roughly the same with the author of the manga working on it. That is not what happened and I have to say that I'm genuinely disappointed. My hopes had been sinking but I'd always thought that the writing would be a high point and that this would at least be a fun bit of nostalgia. It was not. The best thing this did was make me reread the manga.

Maybe if I hadn't read the manga I wouldn't be as disappointed as I am. Having read the manga though and having an actual comparrison... This just makes me sad.

Understandable. Basically me with Tate no yuusha

Tate No Yuusha season 2 specifically.
Jul 9, 2022 6:17 PM

Feb 2019
DominusStult said:
Marinate1016 said:

Tate No Yuusha season 2 specifically.

Both actually. But season 2 is just an even worse adaptation. But both are bad.
Jul 9, 2022 8:52 PM

Oct 2010
I won't say manga this, manga that.
But they did manage to do so many things wrong.
Story looks boring without proper build ups, animation is subpar, music and dialogues are not bad but come so out of sync and balance.
And I do not mean 'bad' just 'not worth it'. Both watching and making.
Whole thing feels like '…in 5 mins' or 'next episode preview'. Very strange and unsettling.
Jul 9, 2022 10:56 PM

Jan 2020
Marinate1016 said:
DominusStult said:

Just going to stick with putting the first five minutes side by side with events in the manga. I think it says most of what I want to say about the difference in Yuuhi's character itself.

In the manga the first time Noi returns Yuuhi is stunned by Noi returning, looking between him and where he'd just thrown him. His immediate response is one of confusion for fairly obvious, natural reasons. When Noi keeps trying to tell him what to do he gets pissed and holds him in the air by the tail, stating the following "This is my house which makes you an uninvited guest. You barge into my room then start orderring me around. Don't you have any manners, sir knight?" He then proceeds to hold him up in the air, making it perfectly clear that this is entirely a power play and he's not going to let Noi down until he begs for it. Afterwards he calmly leaves, telling Noi not to follow him or sit on his shoulder to which Noi explains that nobody else can see him.

In the anime, the first time Noi returns Yuuhi backs up against the wall with his arms raised. His immediate response is one of not just shock but a small amount of fear. While he then holds Noi in the same way, rather than forcing his point and having Noi beg to be put down, he throws Noi out the window again. He then freaks out when the same thing as just happened five seconds before happens again and then freaks out when he tries the exact same thing a third time leading to him crashing his bike.

Originally, I was most concerned about the animation, figuring that the story and characters would be kept roughly the same with the author of the manga working on it. That is not what happened and I have to say that I'm genuinely disappointed. My hopes had been sinking but I'd always thought that the writing would be a high point and that this would at least be a fun bit of nostalgia. It was not. The best thing this did was make me reread the manga.

Maybe if I hadn't read the manga I wouldn't be as disappointed as I am. Having read the manga though and having an actual comparrison... This just makes me sad.

Shield Hero is nowhere near as bad as this…
Jul 9, 2022 10:56 PM

Feb 2019
Animillion said:
Marinate1016 said:

Yea, it’s way worse you’re correct. If you haven’t read please don’t comment on how bad it is.
Jul 10, 2022 12:04 AM
Jan 2022
I enjoy the story, like it's pretty funny, but the animation though....like Shield Hero S2 on early episodes, I don't mind much about the animation though, as long as the story is interesting.
Jul 10, 2022 1:52 AM

Oct 2008
i knew it! this is gonna be great!
1st episode was so engaging and so fun!!
thumbs-up for me!! ahihi
5/5.

Jul 10, 2022 3:12 AM

Feb 2021
I will pass this series. Can't get the motivations and the plot. Good luck to all who watch it!
Jul 10, 2022 9:12 AM

May 2012
I think that was fairly good for a 1st episode. I was pretty hesitant to watch at first seeing the low score but it was surprisingly not that bad for a debut.

Man, the comical interaction between the lizard and MC is fascinating so far. I'm not sure with the plot though but we will see. Animation is not really to my liking but I might get used to it later on as long as the character dynamics and story will still be appealing.
Jul 10, 2022 11:07 AM
Apr 2019
-Marce said:
I will pass this series. Can't get the motivations and the plot. Good luck to all who watch it!

Missing out masterpiece tbh. Go check out the manga instead. You can check the mal score or reviews of the manga as well for consideration.
Jul 10, 2022 11:19 AM

Feb 2021
nabewry said:
-Marce said:

Missing out masterpiece tbh. Go check out the manga instead. You can check the mal score or reviews of the manga as well for consideration.

Thanks! I read first chapters and also it isn't for me.
Jul 10, 2022 12:00 PM

Feb 2021
I have a feeling this is some kind of money laundering scheme banking on a beloved series and I feel personally insulted by the lack of effort being put in
Jul 10, 2022 12:06 PM

Mar 2022
Oh boy... So, I went into this blind. Didn't watch the trailer or touched the manga. Not sure what I expected tbh. But, everything I saw was terrible. Five minutes in and I was already annoyed. I would drop it if manga didn't have such a high rating so, I guess I will keep on watching for now...
Jul 10, 2022 1:38 PM

Dec 2019
Stardrake said:
Oh boy... So, I went into this blind. Didn't watch the trailer or touched the manga. Not sure what I expected tbh. But, everything I saw was terrible. Five minutes in and I was already annoyed. I would drop it if manga didn't have such a high rating so, I guess I will keep on watching for now...

I would lowkey just suggest reading the manga. Ain't like the anime's unique features of having music and voice acting makes the experience a better one and everything else is just much weaker than the manga. It ain't even colored that well with how poor the filter and lighting looks. So yeah, reading the manga is a suggestion if you curious about the actual story without dealing with how gaudy the anime looks and sounds.
Jul 10, 2022 1:45 PM

Dec 2012
I can see how the manga would be good, there is potential. But not going to watch more of this, nothing enticing there for me
Jul 10, 2022 2:59 PM

Nov 2016
You didn't need to look it up before to see that this is by the same guy who created Planet With. Okayish start, I can bear the production if the story manages to live up to the potenial I see.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 10, 2022 3:10 PM
Jul 2020
I’m disappointed. The production quality is just too poor for me to over look. I just wish they did the manga justice bc it deserves it.
Jul 10, 2022 3:36 PM

Mar 2022
MangagnaM said:
Stardrake said:

I would lowkey just suggest reading the manga. Ain't like the anime's unique features of having music and voice acting makes the experience a better one and everything else is just much weaker than the manga. It ain't even colored that well with how poor the filter and lighting looks. So yeah, reading the manga is a suggestion if you curious about the actual story without dealing with how gaudy the anime looks and sounds.

I might as well check the manga out considering how many people are praising it. But, I don't know if the story will "click" with me based on from what I saw in this first episode. I'll give it a fair shot.
Jul 10, 2022 4:38 PM

Jan 2020
Marinate1016 said:
Animillion said:

Yea, it’s way worse you’re correct. If you haven’t read please don’t comment on how bad it is.

What do you mean I can’t comment on this? I adore the manga for this and it’s being butchered by art and animation that’s far worse than that of Shield Hero. That’s my opinion and if you disagree then so be it.
Jul 10, 2022 4:39 PM

Feb 2019
Animillion said:
Marinate1016 said:

What do you mean I can’t comment on this? I adore the manga for this and it’s being butchered by art and animation that’s far worse than that of Shield Hero. That’s my opinion and if you disagree then so be it.

The manga is not the source. Again if you haven’t read the source don’t comment.
Jul 10, 2022 4:42 PM

Jan 2020
Marinate1016 said:
Animillion said:

The manga is not the source. Again if you haven’t read the source don’t comment.

The manga is not the source material for this? Wth are you talking about? This is one of my favourite manga of all time and ik it is the source material. So yea I don’t understand why I can’t comment on this.
AnimillionJul 10, 2022 4:47 PM
Jul 10, 2022 4:46 PM

Feb 2019
Animillion said:
Marinate1016 said:

The manga is not the source material for this? Wth are you talking about? This is one of my favourite manga of all time and ik it is the source material. So yea I don’t understand why I can’t comment on this.

Oh I thought you were talking about Tate no yuusha that’s the thing you quoted me
Jul 10, 2022 5:18 PM
Apr 2022
animation quality is as low as fuck. the actions seem kinda dull. but overall I found my self laughing at some scenes. it's quite a show. I only hope that will improve the quality going forward
Jul 11, 2022 7:08 AM

Dec 2012
Animation itself has some slides and stills at points, but sometimes it's actually good enough. Obviously not top tier stuff from the best anime out there, but far from absolutely unwatchable as well. It will be a problem if the later fights keep the same quality, but for now it's fine.

The art style and character designs look good to me, fitting well for the show. Pacing felt good, and I always thought that would be the right point to stop for the first episode. The small differences from the source material in terms of story and scenes feel interesting, and I really don't mind the removal of the panty shot jokes (especially considering the age gap between Sami and Yuuhi).

OST was quite good as well, better than I expected for what seems to be a lower production value series. OP and ED are okay, nothing that really grabbed me so far, but I didn't like the super simple visuals, so I'm hoping that gets an upgrade later. I thought that Sami's voice would be too squeaky for my taste, but it sounds good for now. Her performance in that final scene was good when she was being solemn/serious. Other voice actors were also good, and I can see Yuuhi's voice becoming more interesting as his character develops.

I especially liked how the scene where Samidare showed the Biscuit Hammer to Yuuhi came out. That felt like a really powerful moment, with the voice acting, lighting and shading, and the soundtrack. I'm looking forward to some of the more emotional scenes later on!
Jul 11, 2022 7:28 AM

Feb 2021
Okoki said:
animation quality is as low as fuck. the actions seem kinda dull. but overall I found my self laughing at some scenes. it's quite a show. I only hope that will improve the quality going forward

It is very dull, I agree.
Jul 11, 2022 9:29 AM

Oct 2015
"Biscuit hammer"! Oh my.

I love Amamiya already, he's uniquely hilarious. I know I'll like the rest of the characters and that's including the lizard.

Great opening episode. I don't think this one takes itself seriously.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jul 11, 2022 1:18 PM

Jul 2014
The editing made this anime awkward? the scenes are edited in comedic manner, but at times they just don't land. Otherwise the animation is alright and characters have potential to be funny.

I would read it in light novel format tbh
Jul 11, 2022 4:20 PM

Oct 2020
If there is one thing I can confidently say after watching this episode, it's that I will never enjoy the anime as much as I enjoyed the manga.
Jul 11, 2022 6:27 PM
Apr 2022
-Marce said:
Okoki said:

it reminds me of Tesla note in a way
Jul 11, 2022 9:27 PM

Feb 2021
Okoki said:
-Marce said:

it reminds me of Tesla note in a way

It also was not interesting to watch?
Jul 12, 2022 7:24 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
CQLLIST said:
Yeah fuck it I'm dropping this, how can they ruin a classic this badly????

I have only started to read the manga today, and just seen episode 1, I cant agree with you more.
Why does this adaptation exist? It just doesnt make sense that someone would bother to fund this anime, this many years after it is finished, to finance it with such low budget and then having such a poor choice when choosing the studios.

There is a huge different with manga and anime, the first is actually charming and intrigues you from the go, then the anime, which you just watch and feel empty inside, lacking any passion or care to make you see it as something other than BLAND and GENERIC.

The OP is soo low budget my god, it feels so low effort, this whole adaptation feels 0% effort to actually make you care for what you are seeing.

This is not a problem if you have not experienced the manga, it will be another bland poorly executed wasted potencial anime.
But if you just read the first chapters, you will feel much more strongly how garbage this is versus the manga.

Vizvezdenec said:
Have never read the mange but this production quality is pretty abysmal.
Staying there so far because material itself seems to be pretty interesting, but holy shit...

Bro, just go take a quick taste of the manga, you wont regret it, the potential is fully explored, if you are interested in the anime despite what you seen, the manga will rock your world.

mertyville said:
I was very disappointed by this first episode. I loved the manga for its energy, dynamic characters and the actions. But this episode had non of it. Even Samidare's punch didn't appear as striking nor did she have that dominating pose when declaring Yuuhi to become his knight.
Yuuhi's dislike of the earth was also not mentioned so his loyalty feels awkward if anything.

The opening doesn't fit the series either. Just a slide show for a show that suppose to be full of badass moments. Meh...

Every dramatic action Samidare takes, is charming and inspiring, like a little devil that you just cant hate, right from the first scene where she first saves his ass, how her hand suddently shows up and how it flows from there, it is endearing to see, compared to the anime, couldnt feel anything, just indifference...
PlaycoolJul 12, 2022 7:32 AM
Jul 12, 2022 6:15 PM
Dec 2007
I remember not liking the manga as much as other people did (although it was entertaining) a very, very long time ago, but I strangely feel that I like the adaptation way more than other people do. Probably due to the overall weirdness, direction and unusual seiyuu work (I love it). Animation is crap though but I don't mind.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 12, 2022 6:17 PM

Dec 2015
Well that was complete trash.
Jul 12, 2022 6:38 PM
Nov 2019
I've definitely seen worse animes but it's far from what it deserves. The budget is very much no high enough and it shows. It does seem to be doing a good amount with what little money it has, but I think it needed much more time and care.

One of my favorites mangas of all time and definitely one with more heart and soul than anything else. I also follow the author on twitter and he seems very cool, talks about his minecraft time with his son and it just seems neat.

I really, really, really hope this makes enough money that he can get something like Spirit Circle done by a better studio or at least with a better budget.
Jul 14, 2022 12:09 AM

Jun 2009
What really ticks me off is that the character design is just all wrong. Mizukami has such a distinct style and it's just completely absent from this.

Animation is pretty bad (just compare the impact of Samidare punching the golem to the manga panel) but that was expected. The many small changes were more annoying to me.

I still have faith that the quality of the story and especiall the characters will still come through to make this at least a decent watch, awful production quality notwithstanding.

Half the cast is missing from the OP, so that means this won't be a full adaption or they switch up the OP along the way. Btw, the OP pretty much just used scenes from the actual show, which is pretty lazy.

(Gimme my panty shots!)

Oh yeah btw not a fan of either Sami's or Yuuhi's VAs.
grandy_UiDJul 14, 2022 12:14 AM
Jul 18, 2022 8:27 AM

May 2021
Animation aside, the premise is absurd and hilarious and the interactions between the lizard and the MC are enough to say that this has lived up to my expectations.

Animillion said:

As an anime-only for both, this is MUCH better than Shield Hero.

Jul 18, 2022 9:20 AM

Jan 2020
RioFS said:
Animation aside, the premise is absurd and hilarious and the interactions between the lizard and the MC are enough to say that this has lived up to my expectations.

Animillion said:

Well, I’m not an anime only for this series so I may be biased and definitely disagree. I just imagine what would’ve been if something like Lycoris Recoil switched spots and got animated like this while A- 1 Pictures animated this series. Too bad
Jul 18, 2022 9:26 AM

May 2021
Animillion said:
RioFS said:

Well, I’m not an anime only for this series so I may be biased and definitely disagree. I just imagine what would’ve been if something like Lycoris Recoil switched spots and got animated like this while A- 1 Pictures animated this series. Too bad

Yeah, the animation sucks but its not like Shield Hero excelled at it or anything. At least this anime isn't trivializing slavery and has better pacing.

Jul 23, 2022 2:37 AM

Oct 2018
People were complaining about the animation but it seems it's way more than just that. The worst part were the attempt at comedy. One more episode.
Jul 23, 2022 7:10 PM
Mar 2012
Yuuhi vs everyone & lizard quite funny, good va's. The lizard ghost story nice excuse.
Another scumbag mc but maybe better than Engage's. Art feels 90s somehow, and bland character designs cutout pasted on scene.
Jul 28, 2022 12:03 AM

Aug 2018
It's interesting.
I was curious about this anime, plus I've written down the manga to read it before xd
The opening and ending are fine.
Aug 3, 2022 9:32 AM
Oct 2019
i don't have any issue with the animation. i just don't like the mc. if it weren't for this girl i wouldn't keep watching

did she say she was going to stop the biscuit hammer from destroying the earth...because she wanted to destroy the earth with her own fist? wtf

5/10 first episode
Sep 25, 2022 3:57 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I had always wanted to read the manga of this because years ago (maybe 2008??) some artist drew a piece that featured a bunch of characters from different manga and anime and they were going to give like 20% off the piece or something if I could guess something like 30 of the characters or something. I think I could only get like 25 or something-- with my friend's help. Yuuhi and Noi were two of the characters on that piece and I had no idea who the heck they were, so the artist was like, "Yeah it's a kinda obscure manga and I would have been surprised if anyone got it, but it's called [insert title here]". I honestly forgot what she said, but I did see the manga somewhere and recognize the design of Yuuhi so I had found it. I still didn't read it though I figured I'd read it eventually... yet here's the anime out long after that time.

So anyway, I guess I'm watching. It definitely has that 2005 feel to it and I feel like I'm watching something from back then for sure. Though honestly... I'm not sure if I actually want to continue. Main character is actually kinda annoying. Also, the aim of saving the world just so you can destroy it yourself? Ehhh. Still, I'll stick with it. Something about it reminds me of some of the old comics I used to draw.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Dec 27, 2022 9:26 AM

Jul 2015
Production quality looks bad but story seems interesting, I like how Yuuhi immediately threw the talking lizard out of his window as first reaction.

Mar 23, 2023 11:47 PM

Feb 2021
This first episode needs more action...
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 24, 10:52 PM

Jun 2022
Might Be Another Quick Drop , That Duck Like Stuff Look So Casual .
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hoshi no Samidare Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 12, 2022

48 by RGreatDanton »»
May 25, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Hoshi no Samidare Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2022

43 by RGreatDanton »»
May 25, 3:30 AM

Poll: » Hoshi no Samidare Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2022

30 by RGreatDanton »»
May 25, 3:14 AM

Poll: » Hoshi no Samidare Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2022

39 by RGreatDanton »»
May 24, 11:27 PM

Poll: » Hoshi no Samidare Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2022

53 by RGreatDanton »»
May 24, 11:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.