Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 12, 2010 4:27 PM

Feb 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow, he stayed in prison for one year just to pay Zenigata back. He must have a strong sense of pride ^^.
But this episode was great, it somehow gave off the best vibes so far, can't tell exactly why though :P.
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 21, 2012 9:18 PM
Oct 2011
I absolutely loved this episode too! Fujiko's attempts to save him especially. :3

Lupin, Zenigata, Jigen, and Fujiko were all at their finest... I love their dynamic!
Jun 6, 2012 11:48 PM

Aug 2011
This episode would make an amazingly intricate, emotional film. Seriously. Either a Lupin III film, or a live-action film inspired-by. But it has to happen.

Vengeance of everyone's grudge.

"I didn't add it to my list so I forgot I was watching that." - lpf
Aug 16, 2012 10:17 AM

Feb 2012
Yes, great feeling in this episode, maybe because it was so exaggerated and ridiculous. Staying in the prison for a year, shaving with a sharpened nail, being imprisoned without a trial (maybe there was a trial at one point, but he wasn't put in a holding cell or anything, straight to prison he went). On the negative side the escape plan was rather obvious, when he kept insisting he's not Lupin I knew he was going to use the old cry wolf trick.
Aug 17, 2012 3:43 AM

Jan 2012
Fujiko's persistence sure was funny on this episode. Was surprised at how Zenigata really wanted him to try and escape, maybe he wants the thrill of chase forever.

4 / 5
Oct 9, 2012 3:01 PM

Jan 2012
We finally get to learn a little more about Zenigata in this episode. He doesn't appear to want Lupin to be killed, but he doesn't want him to be free either. It's all about the chase for him it seems as mentioned above. Zenigata seems to be the only man who can see through Lupin's tricks and makes for a good rival.

As I was thinking about it, if there was a second guard with a gun at the door watching the other guy bring in the shaving equipment, Lupin would never have been able to escape. I know we all love Lupin and that he has to make an escape somehow, but just wanted to point that out as there should have been a guard there.

It appears that Fujiko really does have feelings for Lupin even though starting out she just wanted the key from him to open that box. Looks like Lupin will have to get a new pistol.
Dec 11, 2013 1:54 PM

Nov 2013
I'm not sure why they used that intro sequence for this episode instead of you know the first one, but aside from that I loved this episode, it was great to see Zenigata again.
Jan 25, 2014 3:19 PM

May 2012
Bubcus93 said:
I'm not sure why they used that intro sequence for this episode instead of you know the first one, but aside from that I loved this episode, it was great to see Zenigata again.

I agree about the intro, it was a little strange and they gave away information about the swordsman before we even met him.

The episode was great although it was a little off for me, but in a good way. I guess I've just been used to seeing Lupin stealing and fighting, rather than showing he had a true sense of pride and was prepared to go to the very end to redeem it.

Fujiko's reasoning behind her trying to get Lupin out was interesting. At first it seemed like she was truly concerned, then she mentioned the key to the treasure box and finally she actually seemed sad he was dead - even going as far to admit she didn't care about the treasure. I guess there is honour among thieves in this particular episode. I'm sure she'll be back to her usual self in the next episode.

I also thought it was nice to see that Zenigata didn't really want his alley to go out in such a pathetic way and that he was even a little upset that Jigen wasn't even going to try to save Lupin. However the episode showed how close Jigen and Lupin truly are and that Jigen was prepared to wait around and put his own career as a thief on hold just to find out what Lupin was planning.
Miss-ScarlettJan 25, 2014 5:01 PM
May 19, 2014 11:12 PM

Jul 2008
So he wastes a year of his life just to break out at the last second. Seems like a waste to me, plus that guard got executed for it.
Jun 6, 2014 5:58 PM

Jan 2014
Wow. An entire year for that. He has dedication, I'll give him that.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jul 28, 2014 3:46 PM

May 2013
Amazing episode... the best so far.
Jan 2, 2015 1:02 AM

Nov 2011
Bubcus93 said:

WTF WAS THAT
GOEMON APPEARS IN THE NEXT EP YET THEY INTRODUCE HIM ON THIS EP?

That aside, this ep was entirely nothing but WTF

An entire year just to get back at Zenigata??? And wtf was that end
Apr 27, 2018 11:38 PM

Jan 2015
What a crazy guy. Great scheme he came up with, satisfying to watch it play out.

Good episode! Best so far, actually.
Mar 4, 2019 8:31 PM

Oct 2012
That long con is beautiful
He's waiting entire year to do that, that was some dedication
I feel bad for the prison guard though.. I hope he's alive

Fujiko is actually sad for Lupin?
Hmm I don't know about that

Haha Jigen should have check back after few months
"Signature removed"
Apr 19, 2019 8:58 AM

Sep 2011
A great episode. The best part of this one was being able to see how the other main characters truly feel about Lupin, who was caught, and was going to be executed.

Fujiko used the chest key as an excuse to try and save him time and time again because she truly cares about him. She even mourned his supposed death. Jigen believed in him until the end, preventing Fujiko from 'interfering', but then he tried to help him to escape himself because he didn't want to lose his partner either. Then there's Zenigata, who has a really great admiration for Lupin, and didn't want to lose his "raison d'être" like this. And you gotta love the way Lupin bided his time to get back at Zenigata like that.

A really great episode, the best so far. And if I remember right, one of the best, if not the best of this whole Part I. Goemon is finally making his debut in the next one too!
Nov 26, 2019 9:27 PM
Apr 2016
Clever episode, and said a lot about the characters, but still full of nonsense. Lupin's pride is huge, and that's nice. Zenigata while the closest to catch Lupin, holds Lupin dear. Interesting.
Nov 27, 2019 1:04 PM

Jun 2015
I feel this episode would fit better if near the finale. We haven't really witnessed Zenigata's struggle to capture him yet. But good episode is a good episode.
Fujiko's several attempts to rescue him was hilarious.
Nov 27, 2019 2:34 PM

Feb 2017
I wish I had the key to Fujiko's chest.
Aug 19, 2020 8:38 AM

Aug 2018
Damn that was insane sacrifice by Lupin just to disrespect the inspector the best way possible, I mean MC spending 1 year for this is just insane
Oct 12, 2021 12:48 AM

May 2019
Easily the best episode so far. Lupin with tricks up his sleeve just to irritate Zenigata. Though, to be fair, I feel like Zenigata would be lost without having Lupin to chase after.
Nov 1, 2021 10:28 AM

Sep 2018
An episode that starts strangely different from the others, that is, the beginning is not as alienating as in the past, the action starts with a very specific purpose and one arrives at consequences, the whole narrative is coherent and full of suspense, for those who watch the first time. Excellent episode, with a lot of new opening that helps in the knowledge and understanding of the characters. Atmosphere full of interest and anxiety, which sees everything melt away thanks to the light-hearted way of doing the protagonist, the characters of Lupine and Jigen are truly charismatic, Zenigata is very funny in the final part of the episode. Story without narrative holes, not bad.
Nov 16, 2021 1:22 PM

Feb 2019
Here I am, watching a show older than my own mother.

I really enjoyed Lupin's escape plan.
The line below is True.
The line above is False.
Dec 7, 2021 10:17 AM
Apr 2021
Hesmiyu said:
Here I am, watching a show older than my own mother.

I really enjoyed Lupin's escape plan.

Same :D

Between Fujiko just threw Lupin's Walther into the sea?Or there it wasn't that ,or he didn't have an own gun these times yet?
Apr 29, 2022 1:32 PM

Jan 2022
Did anyone else notice in the preview for this episode it showed the fake Lupin getting his head sliced off by a guillotine, but in this episode he was on the electric chair instead
Jun 24, 2022 9:47 PM

Feb 2017
My favorite episode so far. It was fun seeing Lupin just be the most insane petty asshole lol.
May 17, 2023 8:37 PM

Dec 2019
This is the first genuinely good episode so far. It plays with the viewer's expectations the whole way through, and it's the first time Ōsumi's darker style works in the story's favour.
CartoonVelocirapMay 18, 2023 11:59 AM
Oct 3, 6:14 AM

Aug 2021
Lupin can shave with his nails, fascinating.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 23 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 18, 2010

37 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 5, 7:39 AM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 20 Discussion

Fronzel - Sep 4, 2012

15 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 5, 5:56 AM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 16 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 4, 2010

17 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 4, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 15 Discussion

Ston3_FreeN7 - Apr 22, 2012

27 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 4, 6:14 PM

Poll: » Lupin III Episode 14 Discussion

Veethorn - Jul 2, 2010

41 by Absurdo_N »»
Oct 4, 5:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.