Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 18, 2012 4:45 AM

Oct 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
i love matsukata's spirit in this - one of my all time favorite characters - she shows one doesn't need to follow traditional paths in life (i.e. marriage) - this show just grows in my estimation with each episode.........genius.........
Jan 18, 2012 10:50 PM

Sep 2011
Agreed, she is one of the strong female character who knows what she wants. Her inner thoughts are what I liked about the series. She makes pretty funny observations about the various characters.
No way to recall
What it was that you had said to me
Like I care at all
But it was so loud
And you sure could yell
You took a stand on every little thing
And it was so loud
May 5, 2012 2:54 PM
Mar 2012
This was the best episode so far.
And so true.

I really liked how Matsukata rejected the thought of not being a woman just because she doesn't act like a "princess" and sees herself rather as a samurai.
Anime and real life needs more people like that.
Apr 25, 2013 3:27 PM
Aug 2011
I really enjoyed when she confronted Doujima when he mentioned women sleeping around for jobs.

Everything about black-haired girl just screams FAKE.
Jul 3, 2013 3:16 PM

Nov 2011
That last quote is so fucking true. She's not a lover, but more of a fighter :3
Dec 6, 2016 4:45 PM
Feb 2015
not a fan of this episode
Jan 15, 2018 9:17 PM
Aug 2014
Yumi could have just read the proposal and give the baseball player the summary; which he probably even didn't read anyway.
Jan 27, 2019 2:04 AM

Aug 2017
Good episode. I like how Matsukata acts here.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 7, 2019 7:44 AM

Oct 2012
Yumi is supposed to be prettier than Hiroko
But face-wise, she looks so boring, guess that's side characters for you xD

Yumi is pacifist, while Hiroko is more "activist" :P

Working women are the best women! They're tough women, don't underestimate them xD
"Signature removed"
Jan 2, 2020 4:16 PM

Nov 2016
Everyone probably knows someone like Yumi and I guess her character was supposed to portray the "typical" woman. I was still kinda perplexed when Mayu idolized her while amongst other things mentioning how she snatched away the man from another woman xD

But I prefer Matsutaka. She's strong and confident.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 1, 2020 4:36 AM

Dec 2013
I love this episode as well! I thought at first that Yumi girl is a b*tch but I realized she has a different style to handle situations especially when it deals with guys. Good thing she still helped Hiro in the end or else- I love Hiro's personality and how she fight that cynical Megane geezer.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

May 8, 2021 7:42 PM
Dec 2019
While you can interpret this episode as simply saying that being direct isn't always the best way, I get the impression that the author is supporting the status quo in the workplace just as she is supporting the work first mentality. There's being indirect and diplomatic, and then there's accepting misogyny and deliberately acting girly so that men don't see you as a threat. Generally speaking I don't think the latter is acceptable. The misogynist at the workplace totally deserved being scolded and Mayu's diplomatic approach only perpetuates workplace sexism.
Oct 18, 2021 2:06 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Oh yeah marriage, that's a difficult subject... at least it ended good between Yumi and Matsukata
Mar 11, 2022 10:30 PM

Aug 2021
Recynon said:
While you can interpret this episode as simply saying that being direct isn't always the best way, I get the impression that the author is supporting the status quo in the workplace just as she is supporting the work first mentality. There's being indirect and diplomatic, and then there's accepting misogyny and deliberately acting girly so that men don't see you as a threat. Generally speaking I don't think the latter is acceptable. The misogynist at the workplace totally deserved being scolded and Mayu's diplomatic approach only perpetuates workplace sexism.

Agreed with this.
Oct 18, 2023 3:47 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to Recynon
@Recynon
I somewhat had the same reaction to this episode, but at the same time you have to realize that workplace culture norms wise Japan is quite a bit behind where we are in the west and that was even more true when this anime/manga was made. I'm not sure about now, but I do know that when this anime was made the Japanese workplace was still quite similar to say the American workplace in the early 60s.
KristiwazhereOct 18, 2023 4:10 PM
Oct 18, 2023 4:59 PM
Dec 2019
Reply to Kristiwazhere
@Recynon
I somewhat had the same reaction to this episode, but at the same time you have to realize that workplace culture norms wise Japan is quite a bit behind where we are in the west and that was even more true when this anime/manga was made. I'm not sure about now, but I do know that when this anime was made the Japanese workplace was still quite similar to say the American workplace in the early 60s.
@Kristiwazhere

Yes, good point, and I did hear about that work culture. Just pointing out that it is a problem.
Oct 19, 2023 1:14 PM

Sep 2018
Reply to Recynon
@Kristiwazhere

Yes, good point, and I did hear about that work culture. Just pointing out that it is a problem.
@Recynon
I mean it's not right, but my point was more what good is getting angry over a depiction of the mindset in a nearly 20 year anime going to do?
Oct 19, 2023 2:07 PM
Dec 2019
Reply to Kristiwazhere
@Recynon
I mean it's not right, but my point was more what good is getting angry over a depiction of the mindset in a nearly 20 year anime going to do?
@Kristiwazhere I'm not angry I'm just commenting my opinion on the episode.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hataraki Man Episode 11 Discussion

Fronzel - Jul 27, 2012

19 by nessaluvs-anime »»
Nov 12, 2023 1:27 PM

Poll: » Hataraki Man Episode 8 Discussion

octal9 - Mar 31, 2012

12 by Kristiwazhere »»
Oct 24, 2023 1:59 PM

» Shinji

Fronzel - Sep 24, 2012

4 by cornonacob »»
Sep 29, 2023 12:22 AM

Poll: » Hataraki Man Episode 1 Discussion

Shocked - Jul 12, 2012

14 by Timu101 »»
Sep 25, 2023 10:06 PM

Poll: » Hataraki Man Episode 7 Discussion

octal9 - Feb 10, 2012

10 by SlammyHammy »»
May 13, 2023 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.