Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 1, 2021 3:36 AM

Oct 2019
ok, can we all agree, people only gave this show a low score because:

1. people expected more action and godzilla, which is not a valid issue, since it has purely to do with the name and the marketing, and has nothing to do with the actual quality.

2. it was complicated enough that half the people didn't get it. which makes this show not for your typical viewer, but that's not even close to being a big enough issue that makes this amazing sci-fi rated 6.7 on mal.

and don't say it's because it could have been more easy to understand. shows like serial experiments lain or even evangelion are just as hard if not even harder to understand, but those shows are above 8 rated. people just don't listen to science talk, even with shit like steins;gate that makes it's theories extremely easy to understand, there are still a ton of people out there that call it complicated and boring. and if it wasn't for the second half of that series being more of a psychological tragedy than sci-fi, even steins;gate would be rated low.

this one just got watched by the wrong audience. and it's a real shame. this is one of the best sci-fi's i have seen in recent years. the music is top tier, the twist are unpredictable and original, and the animation is great. even the characters are solid.

well, it at least has the luxury of being one of the only godzilla animes. so it doesn't have much competition. maybe it gets the praise it deserves 1 day, who knows.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 1, 2021 3:43 AM
Jan 2021
As someone who loves sci-fi movies I gotta agree with you man I can't believe it's score is below 7. You don't really need to understand sci-fi to like it
Oct 1, 2021 3:43 AM
Apr 2020
I mean, I thought it was fine. The characters were just quite dull and it could have been better with more time to execute the plot better. But I will give them some credit for the amazing CGI, that's rare to see in anime.
Oct 1, 2021 4:00 AM

Oct 2019
Weebbe said:
I mean, I thought it was fine. The characters were just quite dull and it could have been better with more time to execute the plot better. But I will give them some credit for the amazing CGI, that's rare to see in anime.

i mean i don't think the characters were that special either. they were fun, but yes most of them were ok at best and dull at worst. and there were way too many of them. (except for the 2 AI which were great) , and yes the pacing was a little too fast. not fast enough to ruin the show, but a little slower pacing would have helped the show.

but come on the masterpiece that is the music, the animation and cgi, the twist, the well researched science, the philosophy, the clever direction, the action and the ending/climax of the show, were more than enough to make up for those short comings.

even if you don't agree with it being that good, just take a look at other shows that are rated above/under 7. i mean come on, tokyo goul root A and darling in the franxx are rated above 7.

no matter how you look at it, the positives of this show far out weight the negatives. and even if that wasn't the case, it's still doesn't have enough bad about to sit under those two shows.
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Oct 1, 2021 4:04 AM
Apr 2020
arshiapolygons2 said:
Weebbe said:

i mean i don't think the characters were that special either. they were fun, but yes most of them were ok at best and dull at worst. and there were way too many of them. (except for the 2 AI which were great) , and yes the pacing was a little too fast. not fast enough to ruin the show, but a little slower pacing would have helped the show.

but come on the masterpiece that is the music, the animation and cgi, the twist, the well researched science, the philosophy, the clever direction, the action and the ending/climax of the show, were more than enough to make up for those short comings.

even if you don't agree with it being that good, just take a look at other shows that are rated above/under 7. i mean come on, tokyo goul root A and darling in the franxx are rated above 7.

no matter how you look at it, the positives of this show far out weight the negatives. and even if that wasn't the case, it's still doesn't have enough bad about to sit under those two shows.

Yes, in my opinion it's also a very solid show. And absolutely better than Darling in the Franxx, that's for sure. But I also think it had potential to be something even better. As it is right now, it was fun and entertainning to watch, but overall after finishing it, it wasn't as memorable as most shows I have scored higher.
Oct 1, 2021 11:36 AM
Jan 2021
Me being a G-Fan I was extremely satisfied with how they handled the series and it was refreshing to see something new in the series. The only thing that I sort of not picked at was the pacing in some scenes being questionable besides that I loved every bit of the show and it’s certainly better than the Godzilla Anime Trilogy for sure
Oct 7, 2021 12:35 PM
Jan 2021
I believe I'm one of the audience members that you say didn't get it. I rated it a 6 because it felt like an information dump that would build into itself and new information, and then it just ends. The characters were average but I liked the employees and the girl. And, finally, the ending kinda just blindsided me but in a way that was more "oh, okay then."
Oct 7, 2021 2:12 PM

Oct 2019
eyelinear said:
I believe I'm one of the audience members that you say didn't get it. I rated it a 6 because it felt like an information dump that would build into itself and new information, and then it just ends. The characters were average but I liked the employees and the girl. And, finally, the ending kinda just blindsided me but in a way that was more "oh, okay then."

i mean like i said, it's not for the general audience, since although it tries to explain things simply, it's core idea is just too complicated for most people. i think it could have done much better if it had a few more episodes, so it could space out the science talk a little more.

but here's the thing, there are other great shows that also make it hard for the general audience to understand the plot. evangelion and serial experiments are two great examples. but with those shows, people go out of their way to understand them, so they still have great ratings.

i'm not saying that it being complicated is not a problem in any way, but i am saying that it's only a problem because people don't go out of their way to understand it. i suggest you watch a few explanation videos about this series on youtube, since then you might be able to see were i'm coming from.
Also available at:

Apr 25, 2022 7:46 AM
May 2016
Rather purposeful conversation.
Let's start from an assumption, this anime is classified by many users as "B-Movie genre" or something similar, many people even criticize the poster.
I believe that Godzilla: Singular Point is a good product. I think the characters are well written, perhaps not very thorough on a certain aspect (leaving out Mei Kamino who becomes the absolute protagonist at a certain point in the narrative arc), I believe that the soundtrack is also his workhorse, really well done ... but ... I can understand why people didn't like it.

1 - Godzilla. The problem with Godzilla in this anime is not the little presence, but the little information we have about him. We know that it is named in the ancient legend, we know that it basically wants to be a kind of metaphor and philosophy to the impending catastrophe ... but we never know its modus operandi behind its continuous evolutions. (of which there are four) Its structure is barely mentioned.

2 - Not all users on MAL are used to this kind of anime. Godzilla S.P is very experimental, he has a type of direction, a type of narrative management that is rarely seen in an anime ... he has excellent animations, always excellent, rarely drops in quality ... but it is also true that almost everyone Godzilla doesn't give a damn. The story is good SCI-FI but not enough to get everyone's attention, the only ones who might have seen it, other than Godzilla fans (Godzilla has a very toxic fandom, gets very angry if there isn't enough attention or screen-time about him) are perhaps those who wanted to take a look at him out of curiosity ... being completely stunned by the complex narrative. Because let's face it ... you can understand it or not understand the plot ... the structure is quite complex. Also keep in mind that My Anime List's rating system is very spartan and patchy, as the rating goes down over time. (As if a work becomes ugly as time passes)

3 - The question of the CG. Although the anime is completely 2D to save time, work and to make the monsters more believable, studio Bones has leaned on studio Orange for the CG of the monsters, which is very cool, the monsters are very well done ... but not all of them. love this combination, not many like CG, not many like sometimes how it gets blended with the 2D environment (Here they opted for red dust which is also a great method to cover some poor quality animation, as well as sickening the 2D environment to the CG of monsters) and then basically ... people criticize the CG first. Not aware of the fact that it is difficult to make an entire work based on entirely 2D monsters.

That's all. Godzilla: S.P is a good anime, with great music, interesting characters, nice fight scenes and a nice fresh direction. Definitely one of the coolest anime of 2021. (I'm biased, as I've been a longtime Godzilla fan) Not free from flaws ... but keeping a good pace. I gave it an honest and even generous 9/10 and it's definitely much, much better than the Polygon Pictures trilogy because that was a bore. Because here are a lot more monster scenes, a lot more fighting, and a storyline that still makes sense.
_K3i_Apr 25, 2022 7:50 AM
Nov 12, 2022 5:37 AM
Sep 2022
Apolygon2 said:
Weebbe said:

Tokyo Ghoul v/A was only hated by the manga fanboys, not the anime audience.

& Darling in the Franxx just has a "rushed mid" ending. Despite that, show is still great for many reasons.

If you're gonna make a Godzilla anime, then Godzilla should be in the actual anime.
𝙊𝙣𝙚 𝙋𝙞𝙚𝙘𝙚 𝙥𝙖𝙘𝙞𝙣𝙜 𝙞𝙨 𝙥𝙚𝙧𝙛𝙚𝙘𝙩𝙡𝙮 𝙛𝙞𝙣𝙚. - 𝙕𝙖𝙘𝙝
Nov 12, 2022 5:58 AM

Oct 2019
ThePrinceOfAcid said:
Apolygon2 said:

Tokyo Ghoul v/A was only hated by the manga fanboys, not the anime audience.

& Darling in the Franxx just has a "rushed mid" ending. Despite that, show is still great for many reasons.

If you're gonna make a Godzilla anime, then Godzilla should be in the actual anime.

hi, TG anime only here who has started the manga after finishing it and hasn't even gotten past the s1 point in said manga yet.

no, root A sucked ass. you don't need to be a manga reader to see nonsense story and writing. it was just that the manga readers had the not terrible version the compare root A to, so they had an even easier time understanding why it's shit.

it's not nearly as bad as re s2, but it was pretty bad. I'm sure you will easily find plenty of anime onlys who hated it just as much as the manga readers.

and calling the ending of darling in the franxx just rushed or mid, is the very peak of generosity. it was a complete dumpster fire. it wasn't just bad, it was so bad that it was hilarious to make fun of. it reached the so bad it's good level.

and even before it, most of the show was either stealing ideas from EVA or having cheap drama to add some spice. it wasn't bad, but nothing masterpiece level either. and when you end an ok-good show, with one of the most absurdly terrible endings in the history of fiction, what you are left with is not a show that anyone should call "good"

saying if this is a godzilla anime, then godzilla should have a ton of screen time, is just wrong.

monster for example, is one of the most highly acclaimed anime of all time with yohan being known as one of the greatest villains of all time. he is the monster that is in the title. yet he barely has any screen time.

if godzilla wasn't in the show, or wasn't important to the plot, that would be one thing. but screen time doesn't matter.

not when it comes to quality. you just went in with the wrong expectation.

which is mostly the fault of how the advertised it. they made the trailer as if this was an action fest, and then hit people with a hardcore sci-fi.

but a failure of the marketing team, doesn't make the show any worse or better.
it results in more disappointed watchers though.

if the only reason a show is bad, is because it didn't have what you wanted it to have, it's not a quality problem, it's a marketing problem.

your reason for this being bad, can't be valid, if it would get fixed by changing the name of the show. that's just dumb.

this is a show that was poorly received, and there is no one to blame but the marketing team that made the show be view by the wrong audience, that had the wrong expectations.

show this to someone and sell to them as hardcore and well researched sci-fi that is about figuring out research papers to stop a monster apocalypse, the person who goes in it with that idea will love it.
Also available at:

Nov 25, 2022 12:45 PM
Sep 2022
@Apolygon2

1. Imagine trying to mock me for not finishing Tokyo Ghoul yet. We are talking about the "anime", not the manga.

2. Tokyo Ghoul v/A had problems but it did not make the anime horrible like you claim it did. Maybe some anime-only people were upset with the results but from what I recalled, most anime-only's actually enjoyed v/A but hated the next season which retcon v/A and took place after the manga. Biggest reason why I didn't watch Re and also the reason why I will read the Tokyo Ghoul manga.

3. The ending of "Darling in the Franxx" may be a dumpster fire to some people (it surely was disappointing) but for me, it wasn't horrible.
You might of hated the anime but maybe realize that it's just your opinion? You don't have to be so dismissive.

- - -

If you make a Godzilla anime, you have to make sure that it's good enough for the Godzilla fans but in this case, most Godzilla fans hated it. How are their reasons invalid if they are the core audience?
Nov 25, 2022 3:44 PM

Oct 2019
ThePrinceOfAcid said:
@Apolygon2

1. Imagine trying to mock me for not finishing Tokyo Ghoul yet. We are talking about the "anime", not the manga.

2. Tokyo Ghoul v/A had problems but it did not make the anime horrible like you claim it did. Maybe some anime-only people were upset with the results but from what I recalled, most anime-only's actually enjoyed v/A but hated the next season which retcon v/A and took place after the manga. Biggest reason why I didn't watch Re and also the reason why I will read the Tokyo Ghoul manga.

3. The ending of "Darling in the Franxx" may be a dumpster fire to some people (it surely was disappointing) but for me, it wasn't horrible.
You might of hated the anime but maybe realize that it's just your opinion? You don't have to be so dismissive.

- - -

If you make a Godzilla anime, you have to make sure that it's good enough for the Godzilla fans but in this case, most Godzilla fans hated it. How are their reasons invalid if they are the core audience?

the ending of darling in the franxx breaks every single story telling rule in the worst way possible.

yeah i could say barf is not a good tasting food and it would be just my opinion, but most sane people would beg the differ.

and i think you misuderstand, i do like darling in tbe franxx a lot, but not because its good.

TG root A is also a failure in writing and story telling. it doesn't matter if some people liked it.

a lot of people loved sao, and that doesn't make the sheer crticism that it gets any less valid.

godzilla sp had the major problem with finding the right audience.

it was a hard sci-fi and i will bet you that people who watch steins;gate theries or watch primer for fun would have loved it.

even more so if they also happened to be godzilla fan.

show this to any sci-fi nerd and they will tell you how they loved it.

you are talking abou public opinion, and i'm talking about actual quality.

of course the general public had less problems with those 2. why else would their score be higher?
Also available at:

Nov 25, 2022 5:19 PM
Sep 2022
@Apolygon2

Yet Godzilla:SP has a lower rating than both of the anime you think are "objectively bad".

"actual quality" ??? more like subjective opinions.
Nov 25, 2022 6:23 PM

Oct 2019
ThePrinceOfAcid said:
@Apolygon2

Yet Godzilla:SP has a lower rating than both of the anime you think are "objectively bad".

"actual quality" ??? more like subjective opinions.

oh my god, the ratings are the subjective opinion. it's a public system that anyone can vote at. you can't get more subjective than that.

you asked who was this for? and I gave you the answer

anyone will tell you that the ending of Darling in the franxx makes less than 0 sense.

if there is 1 complaint about a show that is FULLY objective, with 0 opinion involved, it's plot holes.

things that don't make sense are one of the only things that leave 0 room for opinion.

SP not having enough godzilla is a subjective complaint, nonsensical events that make 0 sense aren't.

I am saying that this show got watched by the wrong people due to being marketed as an action godzilla show, instead of a hard sci-fi with some action that godzilla just happened to be in it. and you have given exactly 0 reasons for why that isn't the case.
Also available at:

More topics from this board

Poll: » Godzilla: S.P Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Clas1ck - Mar 25, 2021

84 by Yugesai »»
May 22, 6:02 PM

Poll: » Godzilla: S.P Episode 3 Discussion

Clas1ck - Apr 7, 2021

45 by alex26gc »»
Jan 16, 9:39 PM

» Gintoki Ripoff Design

EXCLMaker - May 9, 2023

7 by Yugesai »»
Dec 24, 2023 7:36 PM

Poll: » Godzilla: S.P Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Clas1ck - Apr 1, 2021

66 by Destroyer31 »»
Dec 9, 2023 10:41 PM

Poll: » Godzilla: S.P Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 16, 2021

78 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Aug 17, 2023 9:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.