Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 7, 2020 10:55 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
And so it ends, what a boring show. I mean, I like literature, but this show is just a cash cow to the Japan-only game franchise with a cult following. Not surprised that this show was completely skipped over, even during COVID-19 delays (which had majority watchers quit after Episode 7 and a long delay to Episode 8).

The last attempts to save Ryuunosuke from his half-Tainted self and purify books, from the only surviving author Osamu Dazai's perspective. The Gears that can easily thwart and how the Alchemist can change things around with reincarnation, but with limited power. If there was a metaphor, the show's title has it: Gears of Judgment.

The power of books vs. erasing literature completely. The final fight of desperation, and the resurrection of the authors who've been eliminated by the Tainted Ryuunosuke to finish the job (that in the end, both the real and Tainted versions collide).

All in all, a poor show throughout as per standard game adaptations style.
KANLen09Aug 7, 2020 12:04 PM
Aug 7, 2020 11:00 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
A massive fight against the taint... at least they succeeded but they have no respite, a new taint appeared xD

KANLen09 said:

Exactly, that's not surprising.
Aug 7, 2020 11:10 AM
Sep 2015
I thought they're gonna save both Akutagawa version so that both version can exist together????

Anyway, another major problem is that the homebase is inside the building all the time, and that makes me uncomfortable, they should show the outside world more. Touken Ranbu is a role model homebase, the house is very open, and they usually go outside the house.
Aug 7, 2020 12:02 PM

Oct 2012
phantomfandom said:

Anyway, another major problem is that the homebase is inside the building all the time, and that makes me uncomfortable, they should show the outside world more. Touken Ranbu is a role model homebase, the house is very open, and they usually go outside the house.

That's the thing that makes the anime different from the game. In June the anime staff and one of the game's developers (who worked heavily with the anime too) confirmed that they didn't even try to make the anime follow the rules or the setting of the game too heavily, giving old fans something to chew on and lure new fans to try out the game to figure out what's the whole BunAl about. This led to an idea of a closed environment, where the authors are locked to and forced to cooperate in order to survive.

In the game there's a big world to explore, that is based on parallel universe Taishou era Japan. Obviously it focuses on Japan, but there's been talk of foreign countries ever since when they added foreign authors to the game back in 2019 June. The open world and the fact how the authors are free to explore it and interact with normal people in and outside the library has caused some hilarious moments in their daily lives, but also what the anime mentioned in few episodes, some authors have been lazy or done things they shouldn't have done. So having them in a closed space in the anime with not that much to do kinda forced them to focus on the tainting problem. The fact how it was only 13 episodes for something that introcuded such a huge amount of authors, focusing mainly on two sure needed all those episodes to introduce them even though honestly many were left flat with their personalities and background. Especially the Kan+Kume+Hori trio, who were Aktgw's close friends and in my opinion deserved more screen time considering what part the last two episodes handled about Aktgw's life. But then again, the anime was kinda meant for the fans of the game and advertise it. It delves deeper into the relationships of the irl authors, which is the main attraction of the game beside how there's lots of literature talk and references to such. The anime tried too hard to follow in the footsteps of that and it should have focused on action completely with literature on the background (but here it felt like the anime staff couldn't figure out which one to focus on so some episodes lack in many ways or are rushed)... Or then be something like what Touken Ranbu's anime adapation Hanamarus have been like... Some cute, daily life stuff.

KANLen09 said:

As a long-time fan of the game, I had really mixed feelings of the anime announcement last Christmas. And now seeing this circus end (finally), I agree it was kinda standard anime adaptation of a game. It was okay and had some nice moments and lots of literature food for the hungry people. But it had its problems with the characters (way too big cast, too heavy focus on some, but also certain someone's character was something I loathed and I like him irl and in the game more) and certain plot points felt ehhhh. But it would have needed way too many episodes to give the whole series some justice, that obviously many can't afford. So it had to end this way.
Aug 7, 2020 2:24 PM
Aug 2018
one of the best seasonals hands down. great overflowing of emotions, great message, great characters. the importance of literature, of books, about how this can affect author and public, is an important and realistic topic.
i loved all of them but my favorite is Dazai. the two Akutagawas almost reunited is the perfect ending.
i will miss it.
10/10, 5/5
Aug 7, 2020 6:05 PM

Apr 2015
this show started off pretty good but by the end, the plot really dragged over the finished line lmao. the plot crumble was sad to see,,,

Although we part as I leave for Inaba,
where pines grow on the moutain peaks
If I am to hear that you pine for me
I shall come back to you again
Hyakunin Isshu (小倉百人一首):
Poem #16 "Tachiwakare"
©
Aug 7, 2020 11:10 PM

Jan 2019
So, practically in the end Kan and the other two guys were right and they should've killed Taintakawa the first time. That author vs author battle at the beach was a waste of times.

So, what was the Alchemist supposed to be? And what happened to the Taint "possessing" Taintakawa? Also, why did they added Tanizaki and Satou to the OP even though they barely made cameos?

Props for actually killing Taintakawa instead of forgiving him and letting the two Akutagawa alive tho.

Boring anime in the end, although game adaptations have always disappointed me tbh.
Aug 8, 2020 2:16 AM
Apr 2020
It ended. Welp, pretty predictable. Director Neko entered the battlefield, but didn't help that much. lol. They didn't even introduce who the Alchemist is.

Overall, this anime is quite boring. Character design is quite good tho.

Aug 8, 2020 3:13 AM
Apr 2020
I understand the criticism, but I love this anime, the charisma of the characters, the sound, and many other things, I will miss waiting every Friday for a new episode.
Aug 8, 2020 11:07 AM

Apr 2010
Well, I didn't expect much to begin with...

Aug 8, 2020 9:57 PM

Feb 2019
This show wasn't horrible...it was boring, which in some ways is worse than just being bad
Aug 9, 2020 9:39 PM
Aug 2020
Not bad not good too. Just an okay anime. But i will miss the characters especially dazai and akutagawa
Aug 10, 2020 12:49 AM

Mar 2010
I really loved this anime, I'm sad it had to end.
Some great messages, and the way they dealt with the authors and their works was fantastic.
And all the easter eggs! The more you know about the authors and their lives (and works of course) the more enjoyable the entire anime is.

Also, I love what they did with that last OP.
DiscordiaSep 18, 2020 6:23 AM
Aug 11, 2020 9:45 PM

Aug 2017
Finally it's ends, took them too long cuz of the pandemic. I was hoping for more but it was an okay series.

Aug 14, 2020 3:23 AM

Dec 2016
It's one of those underrated animes but I really like it. They portrayed the books really nicely. This anime made me read No Longer Human and I'll check out the other authors too.

I give it 8/10.
Aug 20, 2020 6:49 AM

Jul 2015
Sad but fitting end for Akutagawa, killed by himself (suicide) just like real life (T⌓T)

Even though the concept of authors protecting literature from Taints was pretty interesting (really reminded me of Touken Ranbu with historical authors instead of historical swords), this adaptation felt a bit bland which made it boring to watch.

Aug 29, 2020 3:36 AM
Jul 2020
I was so happy to see Shiga again. I really liked the show and it was a good way to end it off
Jul 9, 2021 2:10 AM
Jan 2017
Watching it fall apart around midway of the episodes was quite disappointing since it had such a promising beginning. At least the animation looked nice most of the times.
5/10

More topics from this board

» Real BungoSD or something else?

removed-user - Jan 29, 2020

7 by bakarikuzu »»
Jun 26, 2021 2:50 PM

Poll: » Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2020

70 by HagePotPotato »»
May 31, 2021 9:18 PM

Poll: » Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 29, 2020

14 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Dec 15, 2020 10:24 AM

Poll: » Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma Episode 12 Discussion

Discordia - Jul 31, 2020

5 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 20, 2020 6:27 AM

Poll: » Bungou to Alchemist: Shinpan no Haguruma Episode 11 Discussion

Ashhk - Jul 24, 2020

3 by Unkrowned »»
Aug 20, 2020 6:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.