Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 25, 2018 12:00 AM

Jun 2011
So I just had the time to check out the movie and I know Im late to the party, but whatever.
After watching the movie I was literally in shock when I put it into my list and saw the ratings and reviews.

Just to paraphrase some arguments on why the movie is supposed to be bad:

"The movie agrees and has us go back to Earth... 1000 years post-Godzilla cuz spacetime continuum. Except it's 10 000 years once we see the Earth, except it's 20 000 years after we examine the carbon contents of the plants. So all this setup was to just get us into a jungled up foggy ass Earth to face Godzilla, and dinosaurs while we're at it!"

"It doesn't even work as a cheesy action flick due to the grueling 1 hour exposition setup before the actual Godzilla scene"

I really appreciate fan made content like reviews because they can really be insightful on someone elses opinion and helps for someone else to get a different perspective on an anime. Thats why I still support german sub groups to make the anime fanbase more approachable in Germany. Back to topic:
What I dont understand though, is the fact that people complain just to complain. Whats so bad about information gatherng and analyzing? Whats so bad about a post apocalyptic earth? People complain about 1 hour of exposition on a movie thats probably gonna be a trilogy. Considering the fact that in my personal opinion it wasnt that much of a bad exposition. Remember, this is Godzilla. Every Godzilla movie had a pretty long exposition. Anyone who saw even one live action Godzilla knows that this movie didnt disappoint. Its a shame that people trashtalk and call this anime "All in all, the movie was terrible." because its not.
By the logic of these reviewers everyone should skip the first 10 episodes of Steins;Gate and while we're at it the first 15 episodes of Attack on Titan becasue they're extended expositions.

If they said "I dislike CGI" or "I dislike Kaijuu genre in general" I'd totally appreciate their opinions, but most of the reviews are false statements and critisize the movie where it shouldnt have been.

I watched a lot of Godzilla back in the day and the movies' composition threw me right back. Either people forgot about the old Godzilla movies or stupid people wrote stupid reviews (which should be deleted to be quite honest). I just checked the review guidelines and they actually violate them so there's that...
This movie is a solid 7 (+1 bc I like Godzilla).

The reason I created this thread? What do you guys think of this situation or rather the reviews I should say.
Feb 25, 2018 8:10 AM
May 2013
Hmmm, I have no idea... but I was going to watch this now, until I saw ur post... lol... still going to watch it....as I have seen western movie of this... and old version too.
Have Great Day =)
Animekid3

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Feb 27, 2018 1:41 AM

Jun 2011
Animekid3 said:
Hmmm, I have no idea... but I was going to watch this now, until I saw ur post... lol... still going to watch it....as I have seen western movie of this... and old version too.

Definetly watch it! Its actually a good movie. Im just kinda pissed people discredit the movie so much. Imo the movie is better than both Western versions and keeps up with the older ones.
Feb 28, 2018 2:24 PM
May 2013
Toastx3 said:
Animekid3 said:

Definetly watch it! Its actually a good movie. Im just kinda pissed people discredit the movie so much. Imo the movie is better than both Western versions and keeps up with the older ones.

Sure, yeah I have seen all western version expect 2014... which I’m need to watch. I will watch anime version... in fact I didn’t notice they did anime version until I found it lol.... but sure I will watch... still got it on my tab... just been watching 2018 winter season anime at moment.
Have Great Day =)
Animekid3

Feb 28, 2018 2:25 PM
May 2013
Toastx3 said:
Animekid3 said:

Also I kinda agree with you... as not often I see a big vs. small... on the review it normally be 50/50 on the review ... so this is first I seen... lol
Have Great Day =)
Animekid3

Mar 22, 2018 8:46 AM

Aug 2017
While sometimes reviews can be useful but most of the time people are writing the review from their own enjoyment and perspective. That's why I don't really follow the reviews but see the premise of the show and concept if it interests me or not and watch for myself.

Moreover the animes that are considered bad by the MAL reviews I actually end up liking them XD so no use of putting them in consideration at least for me.
Apr 14, 2018 11:37 AM

Sep 2009
"Top" reviews on this site are acting like this is a standalone film with a dissatisfying climax while ignoring that it's the first in a trilogy and blatantly sets up part 2 in the end. Basically reviewing the first four episodes in a cour and pretending it's a full story, it's pathetic to say the least but that's MAL. I'd also put forth that for anything remotely divisive, haters (whether right or wrong in their assessment, though I'd say it leans pretty far into hyperbole for this community) seem much more likely to go out of their way upvote reviews that reflect their distaste than those who enjoyed it, meanwhile the mean score portrays a very different general opinion.

If the remaining two films deliver you can probably expect it to even out with more positive reviews at the top, if not for this one's page than those of the sequels. Similar effect to s2s and 3s for divisive shows that are more of the same if not better, actual fans stick around. That is if they don't drop the ball; I'm fairly confident this will be an above average entry into the Godzilla franchise but only time will tell.
Apr 14, 2018 10:07 PM

Sep 2015
Dude, I haven't even watched the film yet but it's written by Gen (fucking) Urobuchi, so of course I'm going to like it. I don't even doubt that this anime is underrated and considering I grew up a Godzilla fan, I am definitely hyped for when I do see it (whenever I have time). Unless somehow Polygon Pictures became A1 and ruined Gen's script (which they aren't and there would be no reason to) I believe that this will be a great trilogy.
May 15, 2018 8:50 PM
Feb 2011
Most people don't see to understand the whole point of most Godzilla movies (accept North American ones). Most viewers now expect a typical monster action flick. They fail to see that they are a commentary about things happening at around the time.
Oct 5, 2019 3:01 PM
Apr 2016
Not to the taste of a generic viewer. Mass-watcher when seeing word Godzilla (mind you we are talking about at least 85% of "votes" from westerners who lack a lot of understanding of Japanese themes) expect a lot of first grade CGI and battles of giant monsters with overflowing violence and excessive destruction. Action chaos. Here lies the main reason of said "under-rated-ness". A person who goes to a film expecting violence and action and going there exactly because of the aforementioned will NOT under 99.9% circumstances suddenly become receptive to deeper rhetoric and fundamental philosophy.
Re:formed
Oct 10, 2021 1:44 PM
Apr 2020
Toastx3 said:
So I just had the time to check out the movie and I know Im late to the party, but whatever.
After watching the movie I was literally in shock when I put it into my list and saw the ratings and reviews.

Just to paraphrase some arguments on why the movie is supposed to be bad:

"The movie agrees and has us go back to Earth... 1000 years post-Godzilla cuz spacetime continuum. Except it's 10 000 years once we see the Earth, except it's 20 000 years after we examine the carbon contents of the plants. So all this setup was to just get us into a jungled up foggy ass Earth to face Godzilla, and dinosaurs while we're at it!"

"It doesn't even work as a cheesy action flick due to the grueling 1 hour exposition setup before the actual Godzilla scene"

I really appreciate fan made content like reviews because they can really be insightful on someone elses opinion and helps for someone else to get a different perspective on an anime. Thats why I still support german sub groups to make the anime fanbase more approachable in Germany. Back to topic:
What I dont understand though, is the fact that people complain just to complain. Whats so bad about information gatherng and analyzing? Whats so bad about a post apocalyptic earth? People complain about 1 hour of exposition on a movie thats probably gonna be a trilogy. Considering the fact that in my personal opinion it wasnt that much of a bad exposition. Remember, this is Godzilla. Every Godzilla movie had a pretty long exposition. Anyone who saw even one live action Godzilla knows that this movie didnt disappoint. Its a shame that people trashtalk and call this anime "All in all, the movie was terrible." because its not.
By the logic of these reviewers everyone should skip the first 10 episodes of Steins;Gate and while we're at it the first 15 episodes of Attack on Titan becasue they're extended expositions.

If they said "I dislike CGI" or "I dislike Kaijuu genre in general" I'd totally appreciate their opinions, but most of the reviews are false statements and critisize the movie where it shouldnt have been.

I watched a lot of Godzilla back in the day and the movies' composition threw me right back. Either people forgot about the old Godzilla movies or stupid people wrote stupid reviews (which should be deleted to be quite honest). I just checked the review guidelines and they actually violate them so there's that...
This movie is a solid 7 (+1 bc I like Godzilla).

The reason I created this thread? What do you guys think of this situation or rather the reviews I should say.
I was finding Godzilla vs kong but i found this as well. So i thought i should check it on Mal. I was shocked to watch the rating.
I like space movies.After reading your comment I'll give it a try. thanks for explaining.
Jul 11, 2022 7:59 AM

Jan 2018
I was wondering how to watch this.
How does this relate to the live action shin godzilla or the godzilla singular point?
Are all stand alone?
Can I watch this trilogy and nothing else? Or start by sp? Can I skip the live action?
I've only seen 2 godzilla movies like 20 years ago when I was kid

More topics from this board

Poll: » Godzilla: Kaijuu Wakusei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lordzeru - Jan 17, 2018

57 by Frooday »»
Feb 22, 12:19 PM

» it's a gud show. don't get down by the reviews, just watch it!!!

removed-user - Nov 12, 2023

1 by Sr_Shadow_ »»
Nov 12, 2023 7:46 AM

» Why do human even evacuate from Earth in the first place?

aLotQuestion_ - Jan 17, 2018

29 by removed-user »»
Jan 14, 2020 8:59 PM

» After credits scene.

blackkat101 - Jan 24, 2018

4 by qwertyMrJINX »»
Jan 25, 2018 8:49 PM

» Godzilla will be a trilogy.

DatRandomDude - Mar 25, 2017

7 by ChangeLeopardon »»
Jan 17, 2018 9:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.