Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 10, 2018 3:40 PM
Oct 2014
SPEERS said:
Shaser_99 said:
the end of season 3 is erased or not ? I can't understand

The last 3 episodes never happened. Wipe them from your memory. You may as well forget everything with Loki, too. They may do some more of these down the line to fix the other 2 volumes as well.

Thanks a lot, I understand now !!!
Apr 10, 2018 3:42 PM

Jul 2017
I am kind of glad we got this recap because I got used to the new animation now.
Apr 10, 2018 4:01 PM

Apr 2016
THAT WAS SO FKN GOOD, im so happy about everything this episode. That 3 year wait was worth it 10000%

Art style isnt as bad as i thought it was going to be and i actually like it already. So excited to watch this season play out after the shit storm at the end of BorN.
Apr 10, 2018 4:02 PM

Feb 2016
Ayyy lmao, this new art is way too moe and way too innocent. The eroticism is gone xDD I know this might be as close as the source art but...

Troll12345678966 said:
So is this uncensored?? Im asking for a friend.

it is not censored, but it looks so moe that it doesn't even look erotic
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 10, 2018 4:08 PM

Nov 2015
I hate the fact that there will be harem ending(unless everybody except Riass dies or forgets him) it's okay flirting and everything but it's shitty to love them all "equaly". Riass is for Issei, Akeno is for me, the rest of them can go fuck themself..
You cannot spell Light without L
Apr 10, 2018 4:10 PM

Jun 2014
It's been a while since I watched the previous seasons of DxD so tbh, this episode was a bit confusing. From what I'm seeing in this thread, it seems like this pretty much retconned the end of Born, so I guess it's good that they're fixing previous mistakes.

The new art is kind of weird, but at least the show has maintained its comical goofiness (like with that oppai song). That, along with the shameless fanservice, is pretty much what I'm here for.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

MAL is literally just anime Twitter as its own website lol.

Apr 10, 2018 4:21 PM
Jan 2017
I really hate the new chara design, for Rias Gremory, moe art style usually represent purity and innocence, two qualities that i don't associate with the demon's lord sister. Especially in ecchi harem show like High School DxD.

And instead of looking strong and determined like with the previous art style, she now look fragile and clueless, which contradict the character background of a century years old demon who play deadly chess game with humanbeing as her pawn.
Apr 10, 2018 4:21 PM

Dec 2012
thebrentinator24 said:
It's been a while since I watched the previous seasons of DxD so tbh, this episode was a bit confusing. From what I'm seeing in this thread, it seems like this pretty much retconned the end of Born, so I guess it's good that they're fixing previous mistakes.

The new art is kind of weird, but at least the show has maintained its comical goofiness (like with that oppai song). That, along with the shameless fanservice, is pretty much what I'm here for.

Pretty much what I came away with, confusing since I barely recall S3 and the art style is weird but not so much that I don't think I won't be use to it by next episode.

I'd rather have a different art style then no new season so won't complain too much...

Sure it will be more jarring in like a re-watch scenario which seems tempting at some point where you miss out watching the S3 episodes that got retconned.
Apr 10, 2018 4:39 PM
Jan 2017
SPEERS said:
vincent204 said:
I really hate the new chara design, for Rias Gremory, moe art style usually represent purity and innocence, two qualities that i don't associate with the demon's lord sister. Especially in ecchi harem show like High School DxD.

And instead of looking strong and determined like with the previous art style, she now look fragile and clueless, which contradict the character background of a century years old demon who play deadly chess game with humanbeing as her pawn.

Rias is only 18, you know this, right? It's her brother that's over a thousand years old.
It's been a while since the last time i've watched High school DxD, i was under the impression that she was older but impersonating an 18 high school girl.

Even if she is 18, that fragile and clueless look doesn't suits someone who take life and death gamble every once in awhile.
Apr 10, 2018 4:40 PM

Jul 2015
Changing the ending of S3 to go back to the true novel content, hilarious conclusion to this part, time to dance the oppai dragon dance.

Not sure about you mates but I like the change in art style, especially the eyecatches and when Rias showed the plot, best switch to ever exist.
Apr 10, 2018 4:45 PM
Feb 2018
I think the action scenes are better in this art style. But it'll take time to get use to it. Also their faithfulling to the LN is good. I think im gonna love it !
Apr 10, 2018 4:46 PM

Mar 2013
Gotta wait a while for subs to go on my usual sites it seems. Found one fan sub but it seemed really off. Referring to Rias as "he", for example, is well off. And referring to Ddraig by a completely different name.
Slice of Life Anime about the everyday life of a German Philosopher: Nietzschijou.
Apr 10, 2018 4:49 PM

Mar 2013
Dtfd said:
you can watch it here (version with subtitles): [REDACTED]

Yeah I wouldn't post links to what I'll just call "unofficial" streaming sites. Against site rules.
Slice of Life Anime about the everyday life of a German Philosopher: Nietzschijou.
Apr 10, 2018 4:52 PM

May 2016
Recap episode they ruined the Juggernaut drive scene as well the last one was epic but rushed but this time it was rushed and lame and wtf was that boob pressing all of a sudden.
Apr 10, 2018 4:54 PM
Apr 2018
Rework and fix on Born was nice to see and the oppai Dragon song was hilarious xD.
Can't wait for the actual start of the series next week (Episode 1)
Apr 10, 2018 4:56 PM
Apr 2013
Have to say I loved this take on the Juggernaught Drive episode better, It's much more light hearted and funny then born's, born's was just sad for the most part, this one even when I watched it raw (I can really speak Japanese and only understood the contest stuff love and big tits) was making me laugh out loud. Now heres to this whole season being great.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
George S. Patton
A better world shall emerge based on faith and understanding.
Douglas MacArthur
Any more WW2 generals I should quote?
Apr 10, 2018 5:00 PM

Apr 2017
The old animation is much better than this
Apr 10, 2018 5:01 PM
Apr 2013
MetaThPr4h said:
Changing the ending of S3 to go back to the true novel content, hilarious conclusion to this part, time to dance the oppai dragon dance.

Not sure about you mates but I like the change in art style, especially the eyecatches and when Rias showed the plot, best switch to ever exist.
Now I can't wait till it reappears in a very serious matter all you LN readers know what I mean and do you guys think they will actually find someone to do that version?
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
George S. Patton
Douglas MacArthur
Apr 10, 2018 5:04 PM
Apr 2013
Xander_Cage said:
no no no no no no...why did they show asia and issei kiss, i just can't imagine them as couple.
issei with any other girl is fine except for asia.
Ohhh Xander as a LN reader let me tell you if you don't like the Issei Asia couple thing STOP now it only gets worse.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
George S. Patton
Douglas MacArthur
Apr 10, 2018 5:04 PM
Dec 2014
Im so happy to see the right story being told this time. Seems like they will follow the LN from now on, which is nice. Really sad that the last 3 episodes isnt cannon though.
Artstyle is... Soso... Have to get used to it, but no matter what kind of animation it is, boobs will always be good :3
Apr 10, 2018 5:08 PM
Apr 2013
5h4d0w5t0rm said:
Im so happy to see the right story being told this time. Seems like they will follow the LN from now on, which is nice. Really sad that the last 3 episodes isnt cannon though.
Artstyle is... Soso... Have to get used to it, but no matter what kind of animation it is, boobs will always be good :3
I know you have probably heard this bunch but that art style is very similar to the LN's so if you haven't read it do so and you will get used to it faster, if you have I don't know what to say other than sit back and enjoy.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
George S. Patton
Douglas MacArthur
Apr 10, 2018 5:17 PM
Dec 2016
Broonos said:
I hate the fact that there will be harem ending(unless everybody except Riass dies or forgets him) it's okay flirting and everything but it's shitty to love them all "equaly". Riass is for Issei, Akeno is for me, the rest of them can go fuck themself..

Issei wants a harem. That's his primary goal. There's no way he'd just choose one of them.
Apr 10, 2018 5:55 PM

Feb 2015
Shiraishiku said:
To be honest that was a really bad episode, but what i'm surpirsed is the score people is already giving it.
It's 4th season. It's obvious that who watch this likes the series.
Apr 10, 2018 6:34 PM

Aug 2013
Now that is how you retcon a bad anime original ending like BorN was. Damn shame that shit had to happen and praise Ishibumi for finding a new studio. As an avid LN reader of this series, I'm officially hyped for this season now.
Don't believe the hype.
Apr 10, 2018 6:38 PM
Dec 2016
This episode was incredible. It was an insane step up in quality from the previous seasons. If they keep up this quality I might give this season of DxD a 10.
Apr 10, 2018 6:48 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Feels good to have DxD back. While I haven't read the LN's I've heard that this fixes some of the mistakes that Season 3 has made. For a recap episode I really enjoyed it nonetheless. Also cannot hold in my laughter for the oppai dragon song lmao.

The art and animation from Passione seems great and I hope it holds up for the rest of the season. Am very much looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 10, 2018 6:52 PM
Dec 2017
the new graphic look childish art work and the first episode story was suck they chance the whole story of last season . i love the last three season and graphic.
Apr 10, 2018 7:42 PM

Sep 2013
The good: DxD is back and its following the LN storyline unlike what we got in BorN
The Bad: It's going to take a awhile to get used to this new art style
Apr 10, 2018 8:07 PM
Jul 2017
SPEERS said:
This was episode 0, a retconning recap episode. Episode 1 airs next week. For those curious, this is how volume 6 was originally supposed to play out in BorN.
Wait, so this was how season 3 should've been? To be honest, apart from the Rias' Dragon Suit, the fight between Issei and Vali by TNK was far more decent than the cringy scenario of the "switch princess and oppai dragon". But, if the episode 0 was what the author wanted, man, they ruined my "decent" harem anime xd.
Apr 10, 2018 8:09 PM

Aug 2015
So it'll air tomorrow. Wow guess I'll just use the link posted.
So many boobs in fairy tail, it's crazy.
Apr 10, 2018 8:32 PM

Feb 2012
Yea that was pretty bad. The juggernaut drive sequence was pretty stupid. That oppai song to bring him back? What the fuck was that. In BorN it was better than this. I didn't think the art change would be that bad but it is pretty off putting so far.
LiquidGoldApr 10, 2018 9:01 PM
Apr 10, 2018 8:41 PM

Apr 2016
So are we all just gonna bitch about the art style or are we gonna enjoy the fact that DxD is back regardless?
2D > 3D
Apr 10, 2018 8:46 PM
Feb 2018
ItzToxic said:
So are we all just gonna bitch about the art style or are we gonna enjoy the fact that DxD is back regardless?

This guy knows his priorities.

The studio has changed and we can't do anything about that. We can either complain about the art or.... we can enjoy some anime titties.
Apr 10, 2018 8:50 PM
Mar 2018
What in the world did I just see? I know the first 3 seasons well and this "recap" didn't even follow the original anime. We waited 3 years for this? I hope it gets better. I am not as much worried about the anime style as I am the script. Irina was no where near Issei when he went to Jauggernaut Drive in BorN, and the Oppai dragon song was AFTER that, not before!
Apr 10, 2018 8:54 PM

Jan 2016
Wait... This wasn't just a recap episode, it literally changed the way season 3 ended :O I read somewhere that the author was angry with what the previous studio did with BorN and that's why this season "re-starts" from there, with a new studio and therefore a new drawing style. Apparently this episode is shown as how things happened in the novel.

The episode itself was... awkward xD But funny nonetheless, I expect a lot from this season. Hopefully the plot gets better for next episodes, and I'm talking about that plot ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) xD Looking forward to see more of this :P
THANKS SENPIEX
Apr 10, 2018 8:58 PM

Apr 2008
Shaser_99 said:
the end of season 3 is erased or not ? I can't understand
It was erased completely from existence. Now the defenders of that anime original crap can screw off forever
Apr 10, 2018 8:59 PM
Nov 2015
DT1214 said:
What in the world did I just see? I know the first 3 seasons well and this "recap" didn't even follow the original anime. We waited 3 years for this? I hope it gets better. I am not as much worried about the anime style as I am the script. Irina was no where near Issei when he went to Jauggernaut Drive in BorN, and the Oppai dragon song was AFTER that, not before!

It's different because it's ret-conning certain events to reflect the light novels. The last episodes, where Loki mind-controlled Rias, no longer happened as well. It was the old studio taking liberties with the plot that led to the new studio taking over, so DxD should follow the light novels from now on.
Apr 10, 2018 9:03 PM

Apr 2008
LiquidGold said:
Yea that was pretty bad. The juggernaut drive sequence was pretty stupid. That oppai song to bring him back? What the fuck was that. In BorN it was better than this. I didn't think the art change would be that bad but it is pretty off putting so far.

Last season ended on anime original trash that made no sense and destroyed major character development between Rias and Issei later down the line
Apr 10, 2018 9:13 PM

Nov 2017
Excellent episode. So thats how s3 was supposed to be. A lot of differences.... man i burst my ass of laughing with that song...hahhaha... looking forward to this new season. Btw i love the new art style. It kind a give a wayyyy more smooth touch not like the edgy one in the previous ones. It gives you a whole new experience.
Apr 10, 2018 9:14 PM
Mar 2018
Yeah, I just wish they would have used the episode 0 to maybe fix the
Elit3Nick said:
DT1214 said:

It's different because it's ret-conning certain events to reflect the light novels. The last episodes, where Loki mind-controlled Rias, no longer happened as well. It was the old studio taking liberties with the plot that led to the new studio taking over, so DxD should follow the light novels from now on.

Yeah. I just wish they would have maybe used episode 0 to fix the oversight of the missing rating game between the Gremory and Sitri house and a correction to the Loki battle. I think they spent too much time on the Jauggernaut drive part. But regardless I am still glad the show is back and I will say that if BorN hadn't gone so far off track then we probably would need an episode 0.
Apr 10, 2018 9:14 PM

Apr 2008
iliyanski89 said:
Excellent episode. So thats how s3 was supposed to be. A lot of differences.... man i burst my ass of laughing with that song...hahhaha... looking forward to this new season. Btw i love the new art style. It kind a give a wayyyy more smooth touch not like the edgy one in the previous ones. It gives you a whole new experience.

Yup this was DxD. Not that edgy angsty trash of last season
Apr 10, 2018 9:16 PM

Apr 2008
DT1214 said:
Yeah, I just wish they would have used the episode 0 to maybe fix the
Elit3Nick said:

Yeah. I just wish they would have maybe used episode 0 to fix the oversight of the missing rating game between the Gremory and Sitri house and a correction to the Loki battle. I think they spent too much time on the Jauggernaut drive part. But regardless I am still glad the show is back and I will say that if BorN hadn't gone so far off track then we probably would need an episode 0.

sadly the whole rating game thing would need more than one episode since there's a good bit of build up leading to it
Apr 10, 2018 9:24 PM
Jan 2018
XD people are moaning about the oppi Dragon song and how he came out of juggernaut drive. THATS WHAT HAPPENED IN THE LN. And also forget about the bloody beach scene that is irrelevent this retcon episode basically made the last 3 episodes of BorN irrelevent
Apr 10, 2018 9:25 PM

Feb 2012
Darklight0303 said:
LiquidGold said:

Last season ended on anime original trash that made no sense and destroyed major character development between Rias and Issei later down the line
Regardless if this is how it was in LN the oppai song was stupid af and I prefer how episode 9 in BorN handled bringing Issei under control from rampaging. But hey that's just my opinion man XD.
Apr 10, 2018 9:25 PM

Apr 2008
Mattinator95 said:
XD people are moaning about the oppi Dragon song and how he came out of juggernaut drive. THATS WHAT HAPPENED IN THE LN. And also forget about the bloody beach scene that is irrelevent this retcon episode basically made the last 3 episodes of BorN irrelevent

it was all anime original trash anyway
Apr 10, 2018 9:37 PM
Jan 2018
Darklight0303 said:
Mattinator95 said:

it was all anime original trash anyway

Yep. Don't they need to explain the consciences of Jugguernaut drive agian ?
Apr 10, 2018 9:47 PM

Jul 2017
Pretty good episode.

This was pretty much a retconned version of the Born finale but it's been a long time since I've seen Born so it kinda refreshed me a bit with what's going on.

Issei is still as great of an "Oppai Dragon" as ever.

The artstyle will take a lot of getting used to since it feels mediocre compared to the great artstyle used for the previous seasons.

But overall, I did have fun. Excited to see where this show will go next week with a new storyline.
Apr 10, 2018 10:09 PM

Feb 2018
WoW the whole episode was remade for the sole purpose of introducing the 'Oppai Song'.
I thought as they are following the LN there will be many changes, but it was all for the song.
Though it was hilarious.

KirishibaApr 11, 2018 12:25 AM
Apr 10, 2018 10:32 PM
Aug 2017
Shaser_99 said:

But the season 3 ending was with Rias mad and the scene at the beach end other things I don't remember, is that erased too ?

My bad, you're right, it's the recap of episode 9, so the last three episodes have been retconnned.
Apr 10, 2018 10:34 PM

Nov 2015
So glad they decided to abandon the storyline from the end of season 3 and adapt directly form the novels.

Oppai Dragon song cracked me up as always, cudos for that.

Tannin got a considerable size decrease, wasn't he described as nearly 10 meters tall?

Really hoping they jump straight to the hero arc next week and just skip the events from Vol 7. Issei vs Sairaorg can't come soon enough
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» High school Dxd Drinking game.

GrimAtrament - May 1, 2018

4 by Jamester_UWU »»
Aug 1, 2022 11:39 PM

» Since this retcons the last 4 episodes of season 3 should i just skip the last 4

Omnitrix10 - Apr 17, 2018

4 by ChartTopper60 »»
Mar 20, 2021 8:19 AM

» Difference between Borns Ending (last 3 episodes) and this episode?

-_Removed_- - Apr 14, 2018

3 by TheDeadWalk »»
Feb 7, 2020 8:10 PM

» What is this? ( 1 2 )

begija - Apr 12, 2018

52 by GrimAtrament »»
May 1, 2018 4:16 PM

Poll: » High School DxD Hero: Taiikukan-ura no Holy Episode 1 Discussion

joe_g7 - Apr 12, 2018

27 by julyan »»
Apr 13, 2018 7:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.