Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 19, 2012 10:08 AM

Apr 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Though I don't dig Kenji Miyazawa that much I'm surprised no one has discussed this yet and this is a Studio Ghibli production to boot. Anyway I didn't read the source material so I didn't mind if this was faithful adaptation of Kenji Miyazawa's play or not.

To be honest I almost dozed off on several parts of it since the 4/5 of it was boring. The only interesting part that caught my attention was the last part when the song came with the rain. The art and animation style was superb hands down but this was like a boring mind screw for me, perhaps other discerning minds with greater perspective than I have could appreciate this more.

7/10 because I'm still a Ghibli fan.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Dec 22, 2014 3:57 PM

Jun 2013
I didn't read it either. Had no idea what's all about beside being atmospheric. At least I enjoyed the music played at the ending.
Jan 6, 2015 5:20 PM

Aug 2013
Wow. The movement "Largo" from the "New World Symphony" (i.e. the popular composition by Antonín Dvořák that was even used in "Shinsekai Yori") was playing in the background during the last scene.

That insert song was probably the best part about this entire short movie.
Oct 24, 2015 3:49 PM

Oct 2012
Egh.. this was... complete waste of time. Workers' babbering was boring as hell and young man's dream felt like some LSD halucination.
Not to mention VA was really bad too.

I don't care this is based on Kenji Miyazawa work. It was complete nonsense.
And I give this picture drama one point more only because of kinda nice song towards the end and clever use of Dvorak's Largo (not that it has anything to do with this short anyway).

2/10 The worst work Ghibli ever did. If you can call this a work.
Dec 19, 2015 3:06 PM

Jul 2014
StevenHu said:
Wow. The movement "Largo" from the "New World Symphony" (i.e. the popular composition by Antonín Dvořák that was even used in "Shinsekai Yori") was playing in the background during the last scene.

That insert song was probably the best part about this entire short movie.

For some reason that piece is featured in a lot of anime. That, and Schumann's Traumerei.

Anyway, I liked this movie. I was fascinated by the surreal and fairy tale-like dialogues. Too bad the animation consisted of still images only.
Dec 12, 2017 6:41 PM

Jan 2015
"I don't understand a single thing you guys are saying. It's all vague and fuzzy like a cloud"
Yeah, pretty much
Dec 30, 2020 6:16 PM

Jul 2015
Every time I rewatch this I fall in love with it a little more. Initially gave this a 9 out of 10 but honestly over time this has easily become not just 10 out of 10 but one of my favourite anime films of all time.
Feb 21, 2022 12:07 PM

May 2019
I dropped this at 4' but I'm reading all these replies about the song in the end so Imma skip it there just for curiosity, but this is extremely boring for me.
I don't hate it because this makes me feel absolutely nothing so I had to vote for ''dislike''.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.