Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Oct 2, 2016 5:52 PM

Jul 2014
Occasionally some great visuals. Otherwise unwatchable garbage. I'd like to blame it on trying to introduce so many characters but it was clumsy even for that and it's aimed really really young. It'd be hard enjoying this if you're older than 9.
Oct 2, 2016 6:00 PM

Jan 2014
Was expecting a historical show with a trap MC...Got the gayest looking show ever...Yeah,not my thing...My bad for misunderstanding the concept...Dropped...
Oct 2, 2016 6:02 PM

Jul 2013
At least the action and animation is great but aside from that I'm not fan of this show but I'll continue this for two more episode for the action

2/5

Oct 2, 2016 7:03 PM

Jan 2013
rip all the guys that didn't know this is a show mostly aimed at girls lol.

YASUSADA HE'S SO PRECIOUS AFL;ASGJJKAL!!!
Oct 2, 2016 7:22 PM

Dec 2014
art work seemed good.... let's see how it goes for now
Oct 2, 2016 7:25 PM

Sep 2011
Im giving this two episodes instead of my usual one or three. I spaced out god knows how many times while watching this episode. The way they introduced everybody was some of the worst writing I have seen in years. They weren't even subtle - they just flat out said "I'm X, and I'm Y's sword." It even did this multiple sentences in a row. That's a pretty good sign the writing won't get much better. Things got slightly interesting at the end which is the only reason Im willing to give this another episode. The art and action were up to par, but if the writing and pacing remain as they are I'll be dropping this one.
Oct 2, 2016 7:26 PM
Dec 2014
Yeahhhh, like many here, there wasn't much to it, I'll still continue watching it though in merits of hoping to see better stuff out of this season.
The comedy was pretty jovial which isn't bad at all, it's okay.
Oct 2, 2016 7:44 PM

Jul 2016
Just a few minutes in, Bishounen and I think this is a fujobait? Waaaaaaaah. After an all girls yuri bait, now this? Doga Kobo, you're doing it right. Lol. I still keep watching it and hoping for a real action.
SkyWing0Oct 2, 2016 8:00 PM
"This (anime) industry is weird" - Chitose Karasuma, Gi(a)rlish Number

I hope someday someone in an anime would say, "The (anime) viewers are weird."
Oct 2, 2016 8:30 PM

Nov 2010
LoneWizard said:
Was expecting a historical show with a trap MC...Got the gayest looking show ever...Yeah,not my thing...My bad for misunderstanding the concept...Dropped...

Yup, i right there with you. I'm done.
Oct 2, 2016 8:43 PM

Jun 2013
*watches opening scene after OP*

"Welp, this is certainly different than last season."
Oct 2, 2016 9:07 PM

Feb 2013
Mayuka said:
FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC ISHIKIRIMARU FANSERVICE THAT WAS SO GOOD
It was TOO DAMN CUTE omg, I can't believe so many of the sword babies showed up in one episode?! I enjoyed it!! The OP/EDs were spectacular!!

The story was good too, lots of stuff happened already.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS!!!!!!!!!! Also, Shokudaikiri cooking in his casual outfit/I can die happy now. XD,,,
Oct 2, 2016 9:09 PM

Jun 2011
Ahehehehehe.... Slice of life fantasy, huh? I have higher expectations for the Touken Ranbu anime coming in 2017, hopefully it's more serious. I'm really only watching this so I can someday get their nendoroids.
Oct 2, 2016 9:23 PM
Oct 2, 2016 9:40 PM

Jun 2013
Not one of the better first episodes of the season, but not bad, will probably continue with this.
Oct 2, 2016 9:41 PM
Jul 2018
Well I prefer steel swords cutting people in half and this kind of thing, not my type of show

dropping here lol
Oct 2, 2016 9:43 PM

Apr 2016
looks like bishonen trash ill give it one more episode
Oct 2, 2016 10:33 PM

Sep 2013
decent but forgettable start. got a bit interesting towards the end but everything else was just average.

The video for the opening song was pretty good but that song is just awful.

Hm, I wonder if Hajime Saito is in this. If he is, I'll definitely wait and see. Don't know much about this show other than the synopsis and what I watched. I know he's not in the cast on this website but people have been added in before so I can hope.

Oct 2, 2016 10:58 PM

Jun 2009
Ohman ohman I'm in love with the anime already after watching the first episode it was SO DAM GOOD.

The art is amazing, the music is amazing, and the characters are nothing short of how they are in the game! I'm very excited to see more of them in the upcoming episodes(especially Yamanbagiri, he's my precious baby ;u; )

Now to go off and play the game some more! XD

You have been blessed by sparkly bishie Cherry Blossom <3 You're welcome ^^

Oct 2, 2016 11:02 PM

Jun 2009
ChoiShu said:
rip all the guys that didn't know this is a show mostly aimed at girls lol.

YASUSADA HE'S SO PRECIOUS AFL;ASGJJKAL!!!

RIGHT????? LIKE THEY SHOULD'VE KNOWN THAT BUT NOW I BET THEY FEEL SO STUPID LMAO AND I LAUGH AT THEM, but they get effort for "trying" xDDDDDD Now they're complaining about it to make it look bad lmfao nice try, fanboys, it's still a good show so far! :P Quit hating and go back to your waifus, fanboys, and leave us alone! XD

(Sorry for the double post but I had to rofl )

Oct 2, 2016 11:05 PM

Jul 2015
So this was actually a card game. Like Kancolle but as swords now, and for the female audience!

No wonder a whole bunch of characters were just suddenly introduced lol

This looks nice. I'm in it for whatever fun awaits!

Oct 2, 2016 11:07 PM

Dec 2012
I'm in love with a new episode. Because this anime planned as slice of life, not some action. And they did it nice! It's fun, animation is nice, characters are all different and cute.
But i think this anime was more interesting for game fans like Gyakuten Saiban.

Sooo i waiting for Munechika and Kogitsunemaru (i was gladly shocked, when they put them into the opening!)
Oct 2, 2016 11:19 PM

Jul 2014
TehSnawn said:
decent but forgettable start. got a bit interesting towards the end but everything else was just average.

The video for the opening song was pretty good but that song is just awful.

Hm, I wonder if Hajime Saito is in this. If he is, I'll definitely wait and see. Don't know much about this show other than the synopsis and what I watched. I know he's not in the cast on this website but people have been added in before so I can hope.

The entire game is about the swords, not their owners. So of course he doesn't appear.
Oct 2, 2016 11:35 PM

Feb 2014
This episode is very surprising in many ways.

First, from animation perspective. I didn't expect the OP will be directed & storyboarded by Yasuomi Umetsu. It was typical his OP, full of his gimmicks and neatly animated. Even Nozomu Abe was there too. This sequence was done by him : https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/25936/animated-artist_unknown-creatures-effects-fighting

Also, the highlight of animation is of course the Shinsengumi raid in Ikeda inn. The sequence where captain Okita Souji fighting was beautifully animated by Hirofumi Okita : https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/25943/animated-effects-fighting-hirofumi_okita-liquid-ru

So far this is the best sequence I've run into in this season. Very impressive. And not only on good level, but I think this sequence alone is one of the best animated sword fighting I've ever saw. Bravo Okita! (also notice how we have two genius "Okita" here! :p )

The next fighting scenes were probably done by Hamaguchi Akira...
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/25948/akira_hamaguchi-animated-creatures-fighting-hair-t
https://sakugabooru.com/data/preview/8902cf36b52e991335c38476cc4dd95d.jpg

And the last scene where Yasusada tried to charge alone into second floor, only to be saved by Kiyomitsu.
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/25954/animated-artist_unknown-creatures-effects-fighting

I wonder who animated that...because it was good too. It has really some good movement.

There are other notable animators that I knew/noticed, they're Hayate Nakamura, and Chiaki Nakajima. It could be one of them who animated that...but I'm still not sure about their style so I can't say much.

Second, from story perspective. How I described it...
It was a nice mix of light-hearted SoL moments with serious moments. I hope we will good character development too, and many backstories from other swords (or should I call them swordboys ? lol). Their characters are interesting, and Kiyomitsu-Yasusada pairing so far is my favorite. Hasebe was a good leader (?) too, from what I look.

The music is good too, as expected from Kenji Kawai. Kinda reminds me of his scores in Barakamon, although not as good.

Overall, I really enjoyed Touken Ranbu Hanamaru. I won't put my expectation too high for this series, but I'll still look forward for future episodes. :3
Oct 2, 2016 11:50 PM

Sep 2014
Dropped already. Filled with bad dialouge, traps and silly faces. This is so cringe-worthy. I can't stand this...
Oct 3, 2016 12:15 AM

Dec 2009
HOLY CRAP THEY ARE MOVING I CANT BREATHE
I WAS GRINNING SO MUCH THE ENTIRE EPISODE THE OPENING WAS BEAUTIFUL AND ALSO THAT FLASH OF TSURUMARU JUST KILLED ME STRAIGHT HOLY CRAP HE IS A BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL MAN. AND OF COURSE OUR MAIN PAIR IN THIS SEASON HAVE SUCH BEAUTIFUL SHIPPY MOMENTS OH YES... their history as swords was such a tragedy so they deserve any beautiful happy moments they can get.
Really looking forward to the rest of the season + the other one in 2017 :'D.... Oh god... it was such a wonderful experience watching them move... i will never get over the joy...

The only thing that would probably make me happier is when I watch Enstars anime :D
Oct 3, 2016 12:48 AM

Sep 2009
Woah the OP surprised me! I thought we wouldn't be seeing the other sword boys till the next tourabu anime. Can't wait for them to show up.

I don't think there will be much plot since this is pretty slice of life. A lighthearted show about the sword boys doing silly things in the citadel. I reckon ufotable's touken ranbu will be more serious.

I enjoyed the first episode of Hanamaru. It felt like they stuck to some of the ideas and jokes the fans had came up with and animated them. Basically the characters are everything we imagined them to be. :D
Oct 3, 2016 12:56 AM

Dec 2015
It amuses me that some guys' masculinity is so fragile that they feel threatened by bishounens and bishounen anime.

For what it's worth, as someone who hasn't played it, I enjoyed both the comedy SoL moments and the action scenes. Can't wait for the next episode.
Oct 3, 2016 1:40 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I finally understand how it feels to have an anime full of fanservice and actually enjoy it, lol. Seriously, this was pretty much just fanservice for those who play or have played the game. I can't really see other people actually enjoying this without at least some background knowledge of characters, given that there are so many toudan shown right off the bat (and there might be more to come as seen in the OP), and it just seems like random characters you don't care about having fun. And also the repair room, moderate damage, inside jokes (shit throwing Nama), etc etc. I would probably have reacted like most people in this thread had I not played the game and spent a shit ton of time looking at dialogue/history of each sword, fanart, watching MMDs. Well okay, so some people might enjoy this if they like male characters, which is great for them. But if you didn't like this episode at all, I say definitely drop it. It's pure fanservice.

But yeah, I really enjoyed this, all the toudan were so cute and I loved seeing the references to the game. Oodachi isn't good for indoor battles, lol, poor Ishipapa. At least saniwa knew to choose primarily tantou, wakizahi, and uchigatana. Also, Namaaaaaaaaa <3333 I love that little shit so much. And Yamanbagiri. Can't wait for Hone to join them at the citadel. and Sayo, Kuri, Tsuru, Jiji, Uguisu, Ichi-nii, Urashima....

Also can we talk about the ED song? I haven't played Tourabu in a while, but man those sound effects brings me back. The song is like the embodiment of the game.
Oct 3, 2016 3:13 AM

Apr 2014
starlightshine said:
It amuses me that some guys' masculinity is so fragile that they feel threatened by bishounens and bishounen anime.

For what it's worth, as someone who hasn't played it, I enjoyed both the comedy SoL moments and the action scenes. Can't wait for the next episode.

i bet you if the cast was girls people wouldn't be complaining as much lol
Oct 3, 2016 3:29 AM

Nov 2013
scarredfiend said:
starlightshine said:

i bet you if the cast was girls people wouldn't be complaining as much lol

this is true ^^^^^
Oct 3, 2016 3:44 AM

May 2014
Hm... I think Ill give it a few more eps
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Oct 3, 2016 3:44 AM

Jul 2015
Oh wow, like, lets zoom out a little... please. This looks cool, but dang that camera is close, it's like I'm riding on the should of someone actually there in that first action bit. Now I don't usually have a problem with guys who look kind of like girls and I don't mind some of the designs here, but half the characters I thought were girls... turned out to be guys... that's an understatement, not knowing anything about this series at all I came here with certain expectations AND THERE WASN'T A SINGLE GIRL IN THIS EPISODE. And it's kind of... I'm getting some yoai vibes here.

Sometimes, the characters are able to keep me into an anime to the end, especially if they cute girls. That ain't the case here. If the story and action don't stay decently good, I won't be sticking around for this.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 3, 2016 5:21 AM

Sep 2010
Wow, this is absolutely 100% made for fans of the game, which I really didn't expect. So many references and jokes that people who haven't played it wouldn't get.

I think it's a shame in a way, because I reckon it's going to end up with a poor rating from people who haven't played the game (understandably so), but actually, if their aim was to please fans of the game, I think they've done a pretty good job.

Looking forward to Nakigitsune putting in an appearance ^_^
Oct 3, 2016 5:50 AM

Nov 2013
well that was nice i guess

all those guys looks are kinda annoying me tho, i'm always searching for girl characters and they all look like girls LOL
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Oct 3, 2016 6:07 AM

Jun 2014
LoneWizard said:

I think you are looking for the other Touken Ranbu anime made by ufotable that's coming next year.
Oct 3, 2016 6:32 AM
Feb 2016
rsc-pl said:
Awesome art and animation quality, as expected by Doga Kobo, interesting soundtrack, but story... Idk, bishounens everywhere (totally not my cup of tea), I expected something different (I don't know source material). I will watch till 3rd episode and then decide what I do later,but I don't have any hopes for this.

The source material is a fujo game.

So if you want something different...
Oct 3, 2016 6:35 AM
Feb 2016
KamenRiderMagna said:
At least the action and animation is great but aside from that I'm not fan of this show but I'll continue this for two more episode for the action

2/5

You won't get action from this one, you'll get action from the one Ufotable is doing.

This is exclusively gay swords SoL anime
The one made by Ufotable is exclusively gay swords Action anime
Oct 3, 2016 6:40 AM
Feb 2016
scarredfiend said:
starlightshine said:

I bet you if the cast was girls people wouldn't be complaining as much lol

I don't think so. Some people tend to get even more annoyed with yuribait than fujobait.

There's a reason they're both niche markets, albeit with very vocal targets(have you seen those UtaPri shrines, insane)
Oct 3, 2016 6:42 AM

Apr 2013
Better than I thought
Surprisingly good animation, brilliant opening and ending
Oct 3, 2016 6:43 AM

May 2016
What the hell is this ??? There is way to much penis in one dojo.
This anime contain fake characters that i can't stand of it
If there wasn't any fight i will drop this series and give 1/10.
I hope there will be more fight because scene looks fine and art is really good.
Oct 3, 2016 7:08 AM

Jun 2009
Ahhh, yes, the swords we didn't think we'd see that still appeared in the OP. (I admit I squealed when I saw Jiji >//< )

And wow, fanboys still be hatin'? XD Look, if you don't like it, you don't have to watch, but if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all, lmfao. Make your criticism more constructive than bluntly saying "Ewww gay sword boys this show is the worst evar I'm liek, soooo totally dropping it!"

Also come on, it's not NEARLY as bad as the Dramatical Murder anime. (God do not get me started on that one...... I'm a huuuuge fan of DMMD and even I saw the flaws in the anime. ._. Ok back on topic of the ever wonderful Touken Ranbu now! XD )

Oct 3, 2016 7:11 AM

Jul 2012
This seems like a more fanservice-ish anime for people who play the games.

I totally got a interest in the game tho. It seems pretty nice :O

Gonna watch because bishounens <3

Oct 3, 2016 7:46 AM

May 2016
Ritsu said:
HOLY CRAP THEY ARE MOVING I CANT BREATHE
I WAS GRINNING SO MUCH THE ENTIRE EPISODE THE OPENING WAS BEAUTIFUL AND ALSO THAT FLASH OF TSURUMARU JUST KILLED ME STRAIGHT HOLY CRAP HE IS A BEAUTIFUL BEAUTIFUL MAN. AND OF COURSE OUR MAIN PAIR IN THIS SEASON HAVE SUCH BEAUTIFUL SHIPPY MOMENTS OH YES... their history as swords was such a tragedy so they deserve any beautiful happy moments they can get.
Really looking forward to the rest of the season + the other one in 2017 :'D.... Oh god... it was such a wonderful experience watching them move... i will never get over the joy...

The only thing that would probably make me happier is when I watch Enstars anime :D

don't tell me you also mikatsuru fan ? ;DD

really surprised bc tsuru is in it tbh !

mikatsuruichi

Oct 3, 2016 9:23 AM

Jan 2014
Szadek23 said:
LoneWizard said:

I think you are looking for the other Touken Ranbu anime made by ufotable that's coming next year.
ooooooh hypu desu
Oct 3, 2016 9:30 AM

Oct 2008
"Manly anime watchers" should just wait for the Ufotable edgy drama anime, almost everyone is this thread probably can't use google.

I liked the episode but I've been playing this since april 2015, I think a newcomer would be confused as fuck.
>User since 2008
Please god help me quit this website.

Such great community that doesn't even know how demographics work, AND gives """detailed"""" reviews after first episodes.

Oct 3, 2016 9:43 AM

Nov 2015
Uhh it was all right, art is good though.

Oct 3, 2016 10:50 AM

Jan 2016
yea... i dropping this.. nothing against it but it totally lost me with the story and all, i mean, the animation looks really great and nice colors (i guess) , the sound is quite decent and characters... well nice designs.. but nothing that made me feel excited or want to see more about.. tbh 4.8/10 (5/10)
cause MAL is doing there job for once.
Oct 3, 2016 11:20 AM

Feb 2014
Wait, it seems jp sakuga fans already spotted the animator who draw the scene where Yasusada tried to climb the stair until he's saved by Kiyomitsu.
https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/25954/animated-artist_unknown-creatures-effects-fighting

edited : (Yoshikuni Ono is his full name).
Presumably that scene was done by Yoshikuni Ono (ε°ι‡Žζ‰Ώεœ‹/ ε°ι‡Žε‰ε›½ ?).
Akira Hamaguchi also mentioned that his part was really good in that episode.
kyuudereOct 3, 2016 1:15 PM
Oct 3, 2016 11:25 AM

Sep 2015
I'm a Touken Ranbu trash at heart, so you're going to hear about my very positive first impression of this anime. As what I was expected, Yasusada turned out to be a cinnamon roll with a sprinkle of Okita-kun as he always been - and I am glad that Doga Kobo did not butcher his and other toudans' personality.
Also, can we not forget the inside references this anime has (the characters' lines from the actual game, Namazuo's poop jokes and as well as the joke about Ishikirimaru's sword size and the fact that he's really slow at running)?

(And also, did I just see Urashima and Atsushi on the opening? Holy shit, this anime's gonna get better)
Oct 3, 2016 11:25 AM

Apr 2011
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would.. will be watching this while I wait for UFOTABLE's (non-hanamaru version) xd
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2016

33 by lunarches »»
Dec 24, 2023 8:12 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2016

33 by iamafreak »»
Feb 16, 2023 12:15 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2016

22 by iamafreak »»
Feb 16, 2023 12:07 AM

Poll: » Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2016

12 by iamafreak »»
Feb 15, 2023 5:59 PM

» Should I watch Touken Ranbu Hanamaru?

RuiZleipa - Jan 28, 2018

6 by Konani »»
Jan 20, 2019 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.