Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 26, 2009 7:23 PM

Jun 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I don't think that this episode was quite as good as the first one. Though the scene with Irene's death was pretty intense and well done. The thing that irked me though was the upbeat music played at the cemetary, what was up with that?
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jun 8, 2010 1:13 PM

May 2010
It was a good episode follow-up for the first, but the English dub had Linna go OOC when she told Priss that she was going after the Boomer that killed Irene. In the original version, Linna tells Priss no solo acts. That's what irked me from this episode.
Jul 24, 2010 12:24 AM
Apr 2009
insan3soldiern said:
I don't think that this episode was quite as good as the first one. Though the scene with Irene's death was pretty intense and well done. The thing that irked me though was the upbeat music played at the cemetary, what was up with that?

Yeah Irene's death was quite intense. I couldn't help but laugh as that boomer scratched her cheek and licked the blood off. However, my burst of laughter was quickly changed to "oh shit" once those claws dug their way through her stomach.
Jan 12, 2011 10:31 AM

May 2010
I still laugh whenever they go into a telephone booth. Everything else still seems futuristic, making them hilariously out of place. Or maybe that's just me.
“Money can't buy dere”
Sep 6, 2012 11:21 PM
Jul 2018
I was sort of expecting a solemn ending to this episode when it showed Irene's grave. Wasn't I surprised when that cheery song began, terribly out of place.
And about the telephone booths and that, I picture it set less in the future, and more as an alternate take on the 1980s. It lets them use all the period culture they want, with super suits and robots all over the place as well.
Aug 12, 2013 7:00 AM
Aug 2007
Yeh, that cheery music that started with at the grave was ridiculously out of place and annoyed me as well.

As for the episode. It was OK.. Irene dying was obvious.. there were death flags all over the place.

The whole Genom/USSD stuff is a bit confusing for me.. can't tell if they're working together (USSD old guy apologised for the laser beam accident, and the Genom servant dude came out with the 3 boomer ladies to apologise as well or something) or if USSD are working with the Saber girls (USSD keeps paying the girls 20 million or something) and the Genom's are the bad guys (they made the super boomers?)? WTF is going on...

Anyway... not really seeing what makes this an underrated series yet...
Sep 11, 2014 4:44 AM

Jan 2014
A decent episode. Not as good as the first one, but I really enjoyed it.
And I didn't expect anyone to be like seriously injured, let alone killed,
because the anime itself seemed pretty harmless to me. So that's a +!
Feb 3, 2015 10:43 AM
Dec 2014
The cheery music still get me to this day. You'd expect it in the gym scene instead, or in the background at the restaurant Linna and Irene were at, I dunno.
Feb 12, 2015 2:24 PM

Jul 2014
Not as good as the first one, but still a good one :-)

I wonder who would be the new chief of USSD and would he/she still work with the Knight Sabers?
Sep 10, 2015 5:33 AM

Nov 2011
STILL FUCKIN BORING
Sep 10, 2015 5:35 AM

Mar 2010
That feeling won't stop outside sporadic moments of action.
Apr 12, 2016 8:01 PM

Mar 2016
Largo93 said:
The cheery music still get me to this day. You'd expect it in the gym scene instead, or in the background at the restaurant Linna and Irene were at, I dunno.

But the quirky girls beat the bad guys! Don't you see? Happy time, despite the brutal violence and loss of innocent lives. Girl power!
I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!
Sep 8, 2017 10:07 PM
Mar 2015
That was the most unfitting music I've ever heard at a cemetery ever.

And I loved it!
Apr 8, 2018 7:16 AM
Aug 2009
The closing song fits once you understand the lyrics. It's bittersweet.
Nov 4, 2020 12:53 PM

Jun 2020

The USSD cover up made no sense XD
Officer 1: "Sir, we're recieving reports of a hideous Lovecraftian entity rampaging across Aqua City...

Officer 2: "Oh God, It's growing.. it's corrupting the city into some twisted mountain of pure horror!

Chief: "Where the hell are the Knight Sabres, dammit!"
Officer 1: "Getting their asses kicked by the looks of it, sir...we're doomed!"

Chief: "Not yet we're not! Deploy the giant space laser, send that bastard to the bottom of the ocean!"
*Nukes twenty square miles of industrial estate into fiery armageddon*
"It seems to have stopped growing....it's collapsing! My God, I think we've done it!"

Officer 1: "Shall we release a statement Sir? This could be the justifcation we've all been waiting for! No one would question the Satellite WMD program now that we've saved the entire population of Megatokyo from certain doom! We'll be national heroes!"

Chief: "Nah... Let's just say it went off by accident."

And everyone got sacked.

The End
Old is Gold

"Look, look, we can do spinning shots without wasting our entire budget"
"Did you see? Look, it's all smooth and everything !"
"You're not looking, please, it's SO AWESOME LOOK AT HOW SPINNY IT IS!!!!"

- All anime animators since the invention of CGI.
Mar 28, 2021 1:00 PM

Aug 2017
I think there was a Minmay mannequin in the Chinatown!

Linna's card she used for the phone service looked stylish. Does she also sing?

Just noticed "AIC" (studio name) on Priss' helmet

The voice acting of the USSD chief (or who was that) during his talk with Sylia was very good. He acted precisely like an embarrassed bureaucrat who can't do anything.

P.S. Pretty sure that the giant space laser was triggered by Genom.
St0rmbladeMar 28, 2021 1:04 PM
Dec 29, 2022 1:14 AM
Oct 2012
Anyone else getting serious Resident Evil 2 vibes from the characters? I'm going to guess that's where they got the inspiration from. Esp the cop named Leon haha.
Mar 2, 2023 5:35 AM

Oct 2022
Takes place in 2040, but every single frame screams 1980s. From the hair, to the clothes, to the telephone booths.
Mar 16, 2023 7:00 AM
Mar 2023
Not much happens, pointless brief nudity that I did not appreciate.
May 30, 10:11 AM
Dec 2019
This show kicks so much ass. Yeah, the plot is a bit weak but for someone craving high budget 80s animation (and music) this is a gem.
Jul 12, 10:06 AM

Jul 2017
Another great one! Poor Irene (and also Linna). Seemed like they had something there.

I didn't mind the musick at the end. To me it seemed to signal the restoration of peace and the calmness of the cemetery.

Loved the easter egg of the series' song titles on the computer in the one scene.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Beatnik - Jan 27, 2009

51 by Bubbleyumcrisis »»
Oct 9, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 3 Discussion

Beatnik - Jan 26, 2009

33 by satyrelfheim »»
Aug 15, 3:12 PM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 1 Discussion

Beatnik - Jan 25, 2009

42 by satyrelfheim »»
Jul 7, 9:44 AM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 6 Discussion

Veethorn - Nov 21, 2009

22 by LotteGiants »»
May 31, 7:09 AM

Poll: » Bubblegum Crisis Episode 5 Discussion

Beatnik - Jan 26, 2009

25 by LotteGiants »»
May 31, 1:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.