Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 28, 2015 1:09 AM

Sep 2014
I don't know about you guys, but I consider quality and entertainment as separate factors when I view an anime. An anime can be atrociously bad, but I'll still be entertained by it. For example, I'm currently watching Cross Ange, which isn't exactly satisfactory quality (at all). But I'm so amused by it that I want to continue watching.

What are some anime series or movies that you consider to be your guilty pleasure?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 28, 2015 1:58 AM

Feb 2013
I don't consider quality and entertainment as separate factors when I view an anime.. or at least when i rate (though that also doesn't sound entirely right...) I guess i'm one of those quality = entertainment people, and I always found the term guilty pleasure (when applied to anime fiction) pretentious.
The answers to this question are almost always an anime with a higher popularity rank than rating but you already knew that

The closest to what you're describing would be Nisekoi. It might be the most generic harem romcom ever, but the girls are super cute and it overloaded my kawaii-o-meter, yet i still felt like rating it 2/5.
Mar 28, 2015 1:28 PM

Nov 2013
I'm not a fan of the phrase "guilty pleasure" either, though I think it's because I haven't seen anything that I'd consider one, lol. I could name a couple anime that are terrible but still entertaining, like Mars of Destruction and Garzey's Wing; however, I wouldn't call those guilty pleasures, but rather "so bad it's good." I guess you could argue that they're the same thing, but the way I see it, you actually have to like a guilty pleasure... and I for sure don't like MoD.

If I had to choose, I would probably pick Kamichu! It's not bad by any means, but it's basically another one of those cute shows that makes you feel all warm and cuddly inside. The female protagonist in particular is pretty much a walking blob of moe. I usually don't go for these types of shows, but the reason I love Kamichu! so much because it's so imaginative. There's one episode that involves a pink alien visiting Earth, but it also doubles as a political satire that takes some jabs at the Japanese government. It feels completely out of place in the show but is still really fun to watch. Oh, and another episode parodies Fight Club and features a cat named Tyler Nyurden.
Mar 28, 2015 9:25 PM

Apr 2014
Hmm, my guiltiest pleasure is probably Karin. That's not to say I really loved it, but I don't think I could admit to anyone that I liked it at all, haha.
Mar 28, 2015 9:30 PM

Jun 2012
Going to be the loser that I am and say any Metal Fight Beyblade series and Cross Fight B-Daman.
There's very little character development in each of these, sub-par OSTs, and rarely an interesting plot, but, having the mentality of a five year-old, I still get sucked into the competition—random explosions, overly dramatic screaming, and all.

A couple years ago, I probably would have said Highschool DxD, To Love-Ru or something along those lines, but I like to think I've grown out of my serious ecchi phase. Now most of it just makes me cringe.
"I'm gonna make you bleed like me!"
Characterization Society
Discord
Apr 17, 2015 12:13 PM

Aug 2014
Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters, classic example. The other versions are simply atrocious.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Thank You

aikaflip - Sep 16, 2018

0 by aikaflip »»
Sep 16, 2018 10:26 AM

» Visually Impressive Anime

SaveTheAralSea - Feb 24, 2015

10 by aikaflip »»
Oct 6, 2016 1:53 AM

» LGBT representation

aikaflip - Feb 5, 2015

37 by aikaflip »»
Sep 17, 2016 10:11 AM

» Feminist Characters, Anime, and Manga

aikaflip - Feb 4, 2015

37 by satoneshichimiya »»
Jul 20, 2016 8:34 AM

» Characterization Society Discord Group

BadMediaKarma - Apr 14, 2016

1 by aikaflip »»
Apr 14, 2016 4:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.