Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 16, 2015 8:26 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kuma-sama~

The episode felt a bit slow but was fun with some of the family and friends values. Really liked how it also kinda individually focused some of the bears on a few scenes in the snow. The ending has a cliffhangerish ending. Oh and don't forget to watch after the credit song.
Stark700Feb 16, 2015 8:43 AM
Feb 16, 2015 9:42 AM

Oct 2012
This week we learned that Ginko was a total gangsta badass when she was young.

Click on the link below for a much higher resolution version of the same image:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/mikiy666-tenco/imgs/7/9/7997f305.jpg

Also, Ikuhara managed to sneak in an upskirt shot for the first time in the series.
Feb 16, 2015 10:17 AM

Jan 2015
Nice episode, we learned more about ginko's past and kureha's past. Now, what is the crime of ginko? Q.Q want to know now. Oh and poor kaoru xD The ending KUMA SHOCK. Where the story can go now? I don't know Really xD lol
Feb 16, 2015 11:01 AM

May 2013
Looks like she remembers who Ginko is now. It was good to see more of Ginko's past to how Kureha and her met.
Feb 16, 2015 11:23 AM
Jul 2012
I really enjoy all of these characters.
Feb 16, 2015 11:34 AM

Aug 2013
They kill off Kaoru way too early in my opinion. I was hoping that Kaoru would stay as Yurika's pawn a little longer for the Invisible Storm. But since she's dead, I wonder who will be the next girl that will have with sex with Yurika before she gets eating?
Feb 16, 2015 11:49 AM
Jul 2018
Kureha finally remembers who is Ginko now.
Feb 16, 2015 12:01 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Fucking fantastic. Holy shit.
Feb 16, 2015 12:09 PM

Apr 2013
I'm still not sure if I understand what the "Promised Kiss" is.
Feb 16, 2015 12:20 PM

Oct 2014
Oh yes, Kureha finally remembers that Ginko is her friend from the past. Fantastic episode.
Holy Madoka! The Yuri is strong here!

My Anime List
Feb 16, 2015 12:35 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
I'm glad Kaoru finally got eaten! Bitch deserved it! Fairly sure it was headmistress Yuriika that ate her, but now she's trying to have Kureha suspect another bear. Probably Ginko?

Good to see more of Ginko's past. Putting so much efforts to be approved by Lady Kumalia just to fail in the end, and getting saved by Kureha from the brink of death; that's all the more reason Ginko would try to stay by her.

Kureha finally remembered Ginko, thanks to the love song her mom taught her. Wonder how their relationship would be from now on.

Good episode. That post credit scene was somewhat of a cliffhanger. I think the letter is from the Yuritrial Court and a notice for Ginko to be punished?

Feb 16, 2015 12:37 PM

Jul 2007
I am more interested on WHY she forgot in the first place. both the friend AND the book's ending the mother told her. Could the teacher be employing some kind of brainwashing(there were hints of that before)

Anyway This confirms the bear world as unrestricted self kind of idea where those with ego rule all, while human world is where those who conform and remove their ego survive rule all. Bassically a friction between Kureha's perception of the world, representing Kureha's conflict about her own sexuality.

Ginko and Kureha are at the center of that split, and depending how their relationship and interactions go, the world might become "whole" again.

If they reconnect, the world will change:

Also nice reference to Utena(another work that played heavily with perception of reality):

And yeah, the teacher is pretty much a guaranteed bear now. Most likely whatever happened to her mother and whatever happened to Kureha's memory, would reveal who she is and she is doing her best to destroy the possibility of Kureha and Ginko's reconnection(maybe if the worlds reconnect, Kureha would remember that the principal killed her mother or something?)
AhenshihaelFeb 16, 2015 12:46 PM
Feb 16, 2015 1:22 PM
Sep 2013
I don't believe Yurika is a bear. Because Yurika is the teacher's first name not surname. Every bear so far had "yuri" in their surname (e.g. Ginko Yurishiro, Mitsuko Yurizono etc) so I think this here is a red-herring to make us think she is one.

However I still think Yurika is a villain just not a bear similar to Kaoru. I think the one who killed Kaoru is Mitsuko as I don't believe she died since Kureha only shot her arm, plus in the brief clip we see of the culprit we don't see their arms, which further hints it being her.

Another reason I think its Mitsuko is because everybody who's been in charge of "Invisible Storm" has had affection for her. Konomi was the original who attacked Kureha out of jealousy. She was then replaced by Eriko who also seem attracted to her in their brief clip and now the next one in charge was Kaoru and as we've just seen is clearly affectionate to the one who just killed her.

Going back to Yurika I don't think she's a bear but I believe her and Mitsuko are in cahoots with each other. Due to some event in the past Yurika started hating Reia and allowed Yurizono to enter the school to kill Reia. This hatred for her has passed down to Kureha and Yurika has asked Yurizono to kill those close to her (Sumika) and as the teacher she would cover up her tracks. Also in the opening they are both seen together pouring honey over Kureha to make her more "delicious".

Well that's my take on that part anyway. With Ginko's past now fully revealed we'll probably be getting a flashback on Reia and Yurika's relationship within the next couple of episodes.
Feb 16, 2015 1:35 PM

May 2013
Oh, so the mom meant it to be about her daughter, kay.
'Course, amnesia.

Wtf xD Imma bet ya the principal was the bear.

Thanks for the update Lulu. And this may sound creepy but Ginko looks pretty hot when she's injured.
Yuri Amour~~ I'm dying from laughter omg;;
WoAH so much aHHAGH <3 You naughty girl Kureha!

I'm... not even going to comment on that history bit.

No, it's not finished because the story hasn't ended yet ;)

Nice singing Ginko, but wear some pants!

Well finally Kureha.
Feb 16, 2015 1:49 PM

Jul 2012
Poor Ginko! What a sad past! :(

With all the church imagery and how things were being said regarding being found and having your love approved by someone and being approved in general by Lady Kumalia, it seems like a pretty clear criticism of certain things regarding organized religion (the human girls were also being taught about the crusades in school a few episodes ago). Then again, the church imagery and everything that went with it could also be a metaphor for certain ideas that we idolize and put on a pedestal and think of as beyond reproach.

I'm really glad we got to see more of the bears' side of the wall. It was incredibly similar to the human side, with the main difference being that the bears were more direct in their exclusion of other bears than the humans are in their exclusion of other humans.

That battle scene between the humans and the bears was at once both really funny and really tragic and horrific. One thing I'm really curious about is why, in the flashback, when Kureha finds Ginko after the battle and takes her home, she says she loves her upon first encountering her. If we're talking about most notions of love, it doesn't make sense. However, if it has something to do with what her mom has taught her (from the picture book and various flashbacks, she seems like an incredibly warm-hearted, open-minded person), it could be love in the sense of just showing love to everything. This also doesn't seem to contradict what sounds like a more romantic type of love that grew between Ginko and Kureha as they spent time together.

If that is the case, it would be really satisfying for Ginko's character because of how all she wanted up to that point was to be found and loved by someone, anyone. And then along comes someone who does just that, and then as they spend time together, they grow close in other ways.

Ginko was wearing a crown from the first time we saw her. I wonder if that means she was royalty. If so, why was she abandoned? The bullying bears called Ginko the "Lone Wolfsbane". Keeping in mind that, in stories and tales, wolfsbane is used to prevent people from turning into werewolves or to allow them to retain their rationality while transformed into werewolves, that werewolves in stories are used as metaphors for awakened/awakening sexuality, that the bears are this story's werewolves, and that it seems like Ikuhara is using sexuality as a go-to stand in for our various animalistic urges and impulses (our non-rational aspects), this seems like it strongly implies Ginko's ability to control herself while a bear, which may be what allows her to be a bear who can bridge the gap between bears and humans.

If my memory is correct (and I admit it may not be), this is corroborated by the show, because every time we see a bear in bear form, aside from Ginko, it is in some way acting on its impulses. In contrast, Ginko, while certainly feeling her impulses, is able to control them. And if the bears are supposed to represent people who indulge their impulses and desires, if that's their defining characteristic, it would make sense that they'd shun and bully Ginko for being able to control herself. That could also offer an alternate explanation of why Kureha said she loved Ginko upon meeting her for the first time: by being able to control herself, she might seem appealing to humans, whose defining characteristic that is in this analogy.

I'm not entirely sure that Kureha actually remembers Ginko. It seems more like she remembers that she had a special friend and that they both knew the same song (what was that song, by the way?; it sounds so familiar), and by trying to connect the dots, Kureha comes to the conclusion that Ginko was her special friend. This isn't the same thing as Kureha actually remembering Ginko. There was nothing that gave me the impression that Kureha had an "aha!" moment of remembrance, like "Oh, Ginko! It's you!".

One thing I'm still not sure about is what Kumalia is supposed to be. On the one hand, it's the name of the asteroid that exploded. But on the other hand, it's this contradictory goddess figure who says that it's prideful and sinful to cross the severance barrier, but at the same time tells the people wanting to cross it how to do so. I've gotten some religious vibes from the show here and there, but at this point I'm not sure if they should be taken at face value, looked at as a metaphor for something else, or both.

CookingPriest said:
I am more interested on WHY she forgot in the first place. both the friend AND the book's ending the mother told her. Could the teacher be employing some kind of brainwashing(there were hints of that before)

Where did you see hints of brainwashing? I think I missed them.

Also, as far as why Kureha forgot Ginko, I wonder if it's something like in Utena, where when someone leaves the "world" of the school, they're forgotten by those who remain within it (except Akio, apparently). As far as I understood it, in Utena, the world of the school was a metaphor for our "worlds" we live in that don't acknowledge various things outside themselves. It's sort of like in-group/out-group, but has more to do with what we pay attention to and believe to be valid (if you've seen much of the Monogatari series, it's really similar to that series' phrase "averting one's eyes from reality" or "not seeing" things).
SejinFeb 16, 2015 2:23 PM
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Feb 16, 2015 1:55 PM

Jan 2015
Zetsubo667 said:
I don't believe Yurika is a bear. Because Yurika is the teacher's first name not surname. Every bear so far had "yuri" in their surname (e.g. Ginko Yurishiro, Mitsuko Yurizono etc) so I think this here is a red-herring to make us think she is one.

However I still think Yurika is a villain just not a bear similar to Kaoru. I think the one who killed Kaoru is Mitsuko as I don't believe she died since Kureha only shot her arm, plus in the brief clip we see of the culprit we don't see their arms, which further hints it being her.

Another reason I think its Mitsuko is because everybody who's been in charge of "Invisible Storm" has had affection for her. Konomi was the original who attacked Kureha out of jealousy. She was then replaced by Eriko who also seem attracted to her in their brief clip and now the next one in charge was Kaoru and as we've just seen is clearly affectionate to the one who just killed her.

Going back to Yurika I don't think she's a bear but I believe her and Mitsuko are in cahoots with each other. Due to some event in the past Yurika started hating Reia and allowed Yurizono to enter the school to kill Reia. This hatred for her has passed down to Kureha and Yurika has asked Yurizono to kill those close to her (Sumika) and as the teacher she would cover up her tracks. Also in the opening they are both seen together pouring honey over Kureha to make her more "delicious".

Well that's my take on that part anyway. With Ginko's past now fully revealed we'll probably be getting a flashback on Reia and Yurika's relationship within the next couple of episodes.

Finally someone that thinks yurizono is not dead and yurika cooperate with her. :D
Feb 16, 2015 2:09 PM

Jul 2012
@Zetsubo667

That makes a lot of sense. I've also believed that Mitsuko isn't dead because she just got grazed, and we didn't see her body like we did with Konomi. The one thing that seems to throw a wrench in it, though, is the color of the bear paw that swipes at Kaoru. It's bluish purple, the same color as Yuriika's shirt. In all the previous times (except the first time near the beginning of episode 1) that that happened, the color of the bear paw has been the same color as the bear. Then again, since this time is similar to the first time in that we don't see the bear the paw belongs to, it could be someone else. But the first bear paw could just be generic because it's not indicating it belonged to a specific bear and was more of a general warning. Also, Mitsuko's paw is grey, like her bear form, so this blue paw probably isn't hers. If it's neither Mitsuko nor Yuriika, I wonder who it could be.

Something else I thought of that's a bit more out there is that this paw is a "general" paw, and the blue represents the blue on the school's uniforms. Like I said, though, this theory seems pretty out there.
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Feb 16, 2015 2:15 PM

Jul 2007
Sejin said:
Poor Ginko! What a sad past! :(

With all the church imagery and how things were being said regarding being found and having your love approved by someone and being approved in general by Lady Kumalia, it seems like a pretty clear criticism of certain things regarding organized religion (the human girls were also being taught about the crusades in school a few episodes ago). Then again, the church imagery and everything that went with it could also be a metaphor for certain ideas that we idolize and put on a pedestal and think of as beyond reproach.

I'm really glad we got to see more of the bears' side of the wall. It was incredibly similar to the human side, with the main difference being that the bears were more direct in their exclusion of other bears than the humans are in their exclusion of other humans.

Ginko was wearing a crown from the first time we saw her. I wonder if that means she was royalty. If so, why was she abandoned? The bullying bears called Ginko the "Lone Wolfsbane". Keeping in mind that, in stories and tales, wolfsbane is used to prevent people from turning into werewolves or to allow them to retain their rationality while transformed into werewolves, that werewolves in stories are used as metaphors for awakened/awakening sexuality, and that it seems like Ikuhara is using sexuality as a go-to stand in for our various animalistic urges and impulses (our non-rational aspects), this seems like it strongly implies Ginko's ability to control herself while a bear, which may be what allows her to be a bear who can bridge the gap between bears and humans. If my memory is correct (and I admit it may not be), this is corroborated by the show, because every time we see a bear in bear form, aside from Ginko, it is in some way acting on its impulses. In contrast, Ginko, while certainly feeling her impulses, is able to control them.

That battle scene between the humans and the bears was at once both really funny and really tragic and horrific. One thing I'm really curious about is why, in the flashback, when Kureha finds Ginko after the battle and takes her home, she says she loves her upon first encountering her. If we're talking about most notions of love, it doesn't make sense. However, if it has something to do with what her mom has taught her (from the picture book and various flashbacks, she seems like an incredibly warm-hearted, open-minded person), it could be love in the sense of just showing love to everything. This also doesn't seem to contradict what sounds like a more romantic type of love that grew between Ginko and Kureha as they spent time together.

If that is the case, it would be really satisfying for Ginko's character because of how all she wanted up to that point was to be found and loved by someone, anyone. And then along comes someone who does just that, and then as they spend time together, they grow close in other ways.

I'm not entirely sure that Kureha actually remembers Ginko. It seems more like she remembers that she had a special friend and that they both knew the same song (what was that song, by the way?; it sounds so familiar), and by trying to connect the dots, Kureha comes to the conclusion that Ginko was her special friend. This isn't the same thing as Kureha actually remembering Ginko. There was nothing that gave me the impression that Kureha had an "aha!" moment of remembrance.

One thing I'm still not sure about is what Kumalia is supposed to be. On the one hand, it's the name of the asteroid that exploded. But on the other hand, it's this contradictory goddess figure who says that it's prideful and sinful to cross the severance barrier, but at the same time tells the people wanting to cross it how to do so. I've gotten some religious vibes from the show here and there, but at this point I'm not sure if they should be taken at face value, looked at as a metaphor for something else, or both.

CookingPriest said:

Where did you see hints of brainwashing? I think I missed them.

Also, as far as why Kureha forgot Ginko, I wonder if it's something like in Utena, where when someone leaves the "world" of the school, they're forgotten by those who remain within it (except Akio, apparently). As far as I understood it, in Utena, the world of the school was a metaphor for our "worlds" we live in that don't acknowledge various things outside themselves. It's sort of like in-group/out-group, but has more to do with what we pay attention to and believe to be valid (if you've seen much of the Monogatari series, it's really similar to that series' phrase "averting one's eyes from reality" or "not seeing" things).

There were cases of teacher saying something to Kureha and then Kureha keeps repeating the exact same phrase to others.

I am thinking more like both worlds are representation of Kureha's world being split - so if Ginko belongs to that other world, it does not belong in this side of the split, with severance I guess representing Kureha's conflict over her feelings and sexuality. If Ginko exists in the side that does not repress it, it obviously is forgotten by the side that tries to repress it.

EDIT:
Rewatching episode found the proof it is the principal:
(04:07)

It is the same room as the principal's.
AhenshihaelFeb 16, 2015 2:30 PM
Feb 16, 2015 2:30 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Ginko's full story was really sad.....I'm rooting so hard for her now and she deserves to be happy TwT

I thought that the Moon Girl was going to be Kureha's mom but I didn't rule out the possibility of it being her as well so that much didn't surprise me

And I lol'd when the class president bitch died xD I'm almost certain now that the bear that killed her/is behind everything is the principal now
Feb 16, 2015 2:40 PM

May 2012
Great episode. The new ed picture is cool. Lulu is hot in that maid outfit.
Feb 16, 2015 2:40 PM

Jul 2012
CookingPriest said:
There were cases of teacher saying something to Kureha and then Kureha keeps repeating the exact same phrase to others.

I am thinking more like both worlds are representation of Kureha's world being split - so if Ginko belongs to that other world, it does not belong in this side of the split, with severance I guess representing Kureha's conflict over her feelings and sexuality. If Ginko exists in the side that does not repress it, it obviously is forgotten by the side that tries to repress it.

Ah, thanks! I didn't remember that.

That split-world interpretation makes some sense, and I can kinda see it myself. Since it has so much to do with Kureha and her specific dilemma revolving around her sexuality (you could probably also generalize "sexuality" to "impulses and desires") and how it relates to general societal expectations of female sexuality, it could also offer an explanation as to why all the characters on the human side are female (which is something I've been having a hard time making sense of).

CookingPriest said:
EDIT:

Are you talking about the little light-colored rectangle at the bottom left of the opening in the curtains? Are you thinking that's the principal's picture of Kureha's mom?
SejinFeb 16, 2015 2:45 PM
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Feb 16, 2015 2:55 PM

Jul 2007
Sejin said:
CookingPriest said:

That split-world interpretation makes some sense, and I can kinda see it myself. Since it has so much to do with Kureha and her specific dilemma revolving around her sexuality (you could probably also generalize "sexuality" to "impulses and desires") and how it relates to general societal expectations of female sexuality, it could also offer an explanation as to why all the characters on the human side are female (which is something I've been having a hard time making sense of).

CookingPriest said:
EDIT:

Are you talking about the little light-colored rectangle at the bottom left of the opening in the curtains? Are you thinking that's the principal's picture of Kureha's mom?

I thought it was obvious. Okay:

the same room.
Feb 16, 2015 3:00 PM

Jul 2012
CookingPriest said:

the same room.

Ooooooh! Okay! I see it now. ...I had thought the drapes were covering a pink-tinted window. >.<
You can also find me at:
Wordpress
Tumblr
Feb 16, 2015 3:31 PM

Jan 2015
CookingPriest said:
Sejin said:

the same room.

:O i don't Really know how did you notice the room :D Yurika you b***h but thanks to have killed Kaoru :DDD
Feb 16, 2015 3:36 PM
Sep 2013
@Sejin and CookingPriest:

Well I just re-watched those parts again and indeed Mitsuko's paw would be grey not blue and it is indeed Yuriika's room. So that pretty much throws my theory of Mitsuko being the killer out the window. If it was just the evidence of Kaoru's death taking place in Yuriika's room, I would of said that's where Yurizone hides at night-time but with the paw evidence as well, that's not possible.

However I will stand by my theory of Mitsuko being alive and she's in cahoots with Yuriika. It would be odd for them to go out of their way to just have her arm shot and fly into a tree with no corpse being discovered and leave it at that.
Feb 16, 2015 3:37 PM

Jun 2013
Really good episode.... but damn, that cliffhanger
Feb 16, 2015 3:54 PM

May 2014
The series is getting much more interesting for the past few episodes.
We got a Kuma Shock! at the very beginning.
Feb 16, 2015 5:42 PM

Oct 2012
@CookingPriest: .Awesome catch!!! .Thanks for pointing clearly to the evidence.

However, nowadays, most high schools have put policies in place that the teachers
are no longer allowed to kill and eat their students.
Feb 16, 2015 6:58 PM

Nov 2012
I freaking love the landscape showing the battlefield. The art is astounding!
'Once an Arsenal man, always an Arsenal man.' - Bob Wilson.

Feb 16, 2015 7:35 PM

Dec 2007
The episode had a couple of high points, but overall, I found this to be one of the weaker episodes of the show so far. Backstory is all well and good, but there was just something up with the lines in this episode. Characters just sort of state their inner monologues in the most direct and unsubtle way possible. Might have been a problem with the translation, but whatever the case it really took me out of the moment.

I have hopes that this episode is merely the low point in the series, as it builds to an excellent climax. Time will tell.
Feb 16, 2015 8:05 PM

Aug 2012
Nice find Fai. She basically revealed herself anyway when she claimed the bear with the pendant needed to be killed. Besides sounding evil in itself, it just sounded like she was threatened by Ginko and what she might reveal rather than simple feelings of revenge. Also, Kureha's emphatic response to her aids the brainwashing theory. Granted we've seen her aggressive about killing bears before, but I think it says something that that whole attitude has been toned down the past few episodes while she slowly grew closer to Ginko and Lulu, until being reinforced by Yurika this episode. I think it's safe to assume Yurika has been pushing that perspective onto Kureha since her mom died.

What did bother me about that conversation though was Yurika was actually quite helpful in answering Kureha's questions about 'her', even detailing her mom mentioning the memory loss just before she died. Makes me wonder if she actually wanted Kureha to remember Ginko. I'm guessing that means she's banking on Kureha feeling betrayed by Ginko once she conveniently learns the truth about her crimes just after regaining her love/friendship/Kumalia-sama. The fact that she made the comment about the pendant bear just after answering her questions about her friend is telling, bitch is manipulative.

If that's what happens and I think it's definitely heading in that direction, we're going see some heavy forgiveness themed episodes in the last stretch.

Why has Kureha not made the connection with the pendant? Has she not noticed it or? I need to look back over some scenes..
Feb 16, 2015 9:00 PM
Nov 2013
Yes, some backstory! Ginko's past was very interesting, so the Bears were brainwashed? I don't think the teacher is a bear anymore but I wouldn't be surprised if she is.

I know this is farfetched, but maybe Kureha had a traumatic experience with Ginko which led to her forgetting their friendship? Maybe she's considers herself a criminal near because she saw her mother die as well?
Feb 16, 2015 10:40 PM

Aug 2013
Well, this episode pretty much 100% confirmed that Yurika is a bear, and the villain mastermind behind everything.

Otherwise it would be pretty fucking convenient that Kaoru got rekt by a bear that has a color scheme that matches Yurika, IN Yurika's office, and then the next day Yurika just so happens to let it slip that the bear who killed Kureha's mother is wearing her pendant. And that bear is the ultimate enemy bear...lol ok.

Kureha finally remembered. Bout time. Holy hell.
Feb 17, 2015 12:10 AM

Sep 2013
In some ways I felt this episode made a lot of sense. My problem is the pacing made it a bit hard to follow and connect the dots.

It opens up with the leader of the Invisible Storm stating she was being tied down by the storm itself. So she WAS hiding her sexuality. I guess that does kind of prove the show is about homophobia to an extent(I feel there's more to it than that but homophobia is definitely a big part of it). I didn't like how they kinda half-assed making her 2-dimensional though, especially when they just killed her off a second later. Felt pretty rushed. Also, why would she take joy and pride in tormenting Kureha when she admits to herself that she enjoys doing the same things she tormented Kureha for? Again, characterization was rushed so I didn't get a full grasp on her character. Laaaame.

There was a clear commentary on religion this episode. Ginko was abandoned and picked up by a Nun-Bear who taught her the ways of Lady Kumalia. As we know from the book, Lady Kumalia in the story was okay with letting a bear and a human be together so long as their love was true. Problem is, that's not what the church taught and that's not what society seems to follow in the human world. The church taught the bears that crossing the wall is prideful and a sin. They also taught them to kill any humans who were trying to leave the wall. I don't really get this though, is it about followers of a religion, misinterpreting what their God meant? They kinda glossed over this part and I didn't get the whole picture out of it.

Since leaving the wall is a sin because it's prideful, my guess is that the SIN is taking pride in your sexuality. Thus, being a homosexual and being proud about it, is wrong. This really does go well with the School actually being a Reprogramming Facility to brainwash homosexuals into "being straight" (you can't actually do that but some idiots believe you can). That is, if it really is a reprogramming facility.

Now, WHY did Kureha forget Ginko? Was it brainwashing? Was it magic? Was it simply amnesia? That's the part I'm confused about.

So.. the society outside of the walls are people who have freedom to do as they like... the society inside the walls are people who were forced to change themselves to fit into society? Maybe the Church starting the war was a way of conveying society pushing them into a closed off area to be reprogrammed? Geez Idunno. I need more clarity on this part.

I'll be honest, this episode was probably one of the more confusing ones as of late. I could follow it... okay... but it was paced rather odd and I feel it ruined some things it was going for.
KetenFeb 17, 2015 12:14 AM
Feb 17, 2015 1:12 AM

Oct 2012

In case the above image failed to display properly, please click on the link below:
http://anime.webnt.jp/img/Article/21c5560111dae0890c325d9b5875b6e2.jpg

The above photo shows Ikuhara together with the three main voice actresses.
This was at the marathon screening of Episodes 1 to 6 on Sunday, February 8th
at some movie theater in Shinjuku. There was also a "talk event".

Recently, there have been two major articles reporting on what happened at the
"talk event". Here are links to them:
http://www.animate.tv/news/details.php?id=1424072122
http://anime.webnt.jp/report/view/3989

To summarize what these articles reported, nobody said anything interesting at
the "talk event". But I haven't done a careful re-reading of the first article yet.
okanaganFeb 17, 2015 1:15 AM
Feb 17, 2015 1:36 AM

Oct 2011
Yurizono didn't die. She got her arm shot. She is the one who is controlling Kaoru

Yurika is behind everything
Feb 17, 2015 3:29 AM

Oct 2012
AnimeFan500 said:
Yurizono didn't die. She got her arm shot.

Wow! It looks like you could well be right!

Here are a bunch of high-resolution still images from near the end of Episode 3:

Yurizono-san has transformed into her bear form, but is still wearing her armband:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/anico_bin/imgs/4/0/409ece9f.jpg
Kureha is aiming her Model 7400 hunting rifle at Yurizono-san in her bear form:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/jyojyo_soku/imgs/e/4/e473d88d.jpg
Yurizono-san's purple-and-black "Class Leader" armband being ripped apart:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/jyojyo_soku/imgs/e/4/e4c1af32.jpg
Yurizono-san then goes flying up through the air and falls into the large trees:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/jyojyo_soku/imgs/4/1/416aa300.jpg
But then Kureha gets all weepy since thinks she just killed Yurizono-san:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/aaieba149/imgs/6/f/6fed5f36.jpg

Yurizono-san always wears her purple-and-black "Class Leader" armband on her
left arm, above her elbow. She continues to wear the armband even after the
transformation into her bear form. After Kureha's bullet hits, Yurizono-san flies
through space and then hits the trees. While Yurizono-san is flying through space,
we can clearly see her left arm with the armband missing. However, when looking
closely at the high-resolution image, there is no indication that Yurizono-san is
injured. Her left arm is clearly visible and it looks fine.

So it's possible that Yurizono-san was not even injured at all by Kureha, let alone
killed. Besides, even if Yurizono-san actually was hit by a rifle bullet, there would
be a 99% probability that the armband wouldn't be hit and a 99.99% probability
that the damage to the armband wouldn't make it shred like that.

I am stretching my application of the Laws of Physics here. However, I think that
the shredded damage to the armband could only happen if the bullet entered the
armband through the air and exited the armband into the air. Since the armband
is loose-fitting, that is conceivable. Besides, Yurizono-san's arm is covered by a
thick layer of fur, like all bears.

By contrast, if the bullet first passed through the armband and then into the flesh
of Yurizono-san's left arm, there would be a simple round hole in the armband.
After that, there could be incredible damage resulting from the rifle bullet. The
bone would be completely shattered. But at worst it would rip the armband in a
tear. It wouldn't shred it like that.

Hard to say, though . . .

- - - - - - - - - -

AnimeFan500 also said:
She is the one who is controlling Kaoru.

Okay, well I don't see your logic on that. However, I tend to be fairly slow in
comprehending these things.

- - - - - - - - - -

Here is some information about Kureha's gun:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_7400
http://www.remington.com/~/media/files/owners-manuals/om_7400.ashx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWrd9YoKwfk
okanaganFeb 17, 2015 4:06 AM
Feb 17, 2015 6:20 AM

Jul 2014
Didn't like this episode much. First of all, it ruined Kaoru... I expected more from her, really. I'm still not sure though about taking all that "bear", "killing", "eating" stuff literal or not. Maybe there is hope that some "dead" characters return.

Why would they put so many characters on the official art and like the half of them are so minor characters in the actual story. Like Konomi for example, what did she do? She just died, no more. Or Akae, why does she even have a name, I ask myself.

The art is always top-notch though. I liked the parts with the war and Ginko's past they were comical yet sad.

kagakiri said:
Akae was said to have been eaten by a bear, right? (Just checking to make sure I didn't imagine that.)

I searched through earlier episodes, couldn't find anything so fast. But if I recall correctly she was eaten by Ginko and Lulu?
PabilsagFeb 17, 2015 6:24 AM
Feb 17, 2015 7:51 AM

Jan 2015
Pabilsag said:
Didn't like this episode much. First of all, it ruined Kaoru... I expected more from her, really. I'm still not sure though about taking all that "bear", "killing", "eating" stuff literal or not. Maybe there is hope that some "dead" characters return.

Why would they put so many characters on the official art and like the half of them are so minor characters in the actual story. Like Konomi for example, what did she do? She just died, no more. Or Akae, why does she even have a name, I ask myself.

The art is always top-notch though. I liked the parts with the war and Ginko's past they were comical yet sad.

kagakiri said:
Akae was said to have been eaten by a bear, right? (Just checking to make sure I didn't imagine that.)

I searched through earlier episodes, couldn't find anything so fast. But if I recall correctly she was eaten by Ginko and Lulu?

Yes true, they ruined some characters, but Seems that are only small arcs of the anime (ep 1-3 yurizono's arc, ep 5-6 kaoru's arc), anyway those arcs are Really important because they evolved the story; psycological (Kureha and ginko) and phisical (so, what's going on now). Akae's dead is rivealed in the episode 3 (ending), she was eaten by ginko and Lulu (ep 1). Anyway loved this episode but was weaker than previous episodes
Feb 17, 2015 7:57 AM
Sep 2013
@okanagun: Like I've been saying in my previous posts it would be weird for them to go out of their way to have Mitsuko's arm shot, (or in your theory just the armband, which is possible) never discover a corpse and leave it at that. If she was supposed to die, she would of been shot and killed just like Konomi was.
okanagan said:

AnimeFan500 also said:
She is the one who is controlling Kaoru.

Okay, well I don't see your logic on that. However, I tend to be fairly slow in
comprehending these things.

I don't know about his logic on this one, by my logic for this is that all the previous leaders of "Invisible Storm" had an affection for Mitsuko and were manipulated by her (Konomi and Eriko) so its possible to come to the conclusion that Kaoru was also used by her.

Pabilsag said:

kagakiri said:

This is actually a good point which I've now just confirmed it by re-watching the episodes again that in episode 2 it originally showed Mitsuko being the one who killed Akae, then in episode 3 Ginko and Lulu announce they were the ones who killed Akae before "eating" Eriko. Then with Sumika's death in episode 1 it clearly shows Mitsuko finding her body and it appears to have been "eaten" by Lulu and Ginko, then in episode 3 along with the flashback in episode 6 it confirms Mitsuko was the one who killed her.

So in regards to Kaoru's death it could possibly be Mitsuko still as they have done false assumptions before, as I doubt most people thought it was Mitsuko who killed Sumika after the first episode and most assumed it was Lulu and Ginko which turned out to be false.
Feb 17, 2015 9:26 AM

Dec 2012
Erm I fail to understand how is this show about homophobia when literally every major character is a lesbian?
Feb 17, 2015 10:31 AM

Jan 2015
This is actually a good point which I've now just confirmed it by re-watching the episodes again that in episode 2 it originally showed Mitsuko being the one who killed Akae, then in episode 3 Ginko and Lulu announce they were the ones who killed Akae before "eating" Eriko. Then with Sumika's death in episode 1 it clearly shows Mitsuko finding her body and it appears to have been "eaten" by Lulu and Ginko, then in episode 3 along with the flashback in episode 6 it confirms Mitsuko was the one who killed her.

So in regards to Kaoru's death it could possibly be Mitsuko still as they have done false assumptions before, as I doubt most people thought it was Mitsuko who killed Sumika after the first episode and most assumed it was Lulu and Ginko which turned out to be false.

No, guys wait a second. In the anime they didn't show when sumika is being eaten, because in the ep 1 Ginko and Lulu eat Akae and in episode 2 yurizono eats...whooo????? Because we can see in the ep 1 that yurizono and yurikawa with sumika's glasses, so she was dead before the end of the episode. Summary: Sumika dies in the half of the episode 1 (we can see the end of sumika in the episode 5), then ginko and Lulu at end of the ep 1 eat Akae. Yurizono at the end of ep 2 eats...someone and she kills yurikawa too. At the end of episode 3 we see ginko and Lulu eating oniyama and (finally) kaoru eaten in this episode by Yurika (?). So, WHO IS THE PERSON THAT YURIZONO EATS AT THE END OF EPISODE 2?!?!?!? My Logic makes sense, no? Or the person that is eaten is Just "someone that we don't care" or is a important person. I'm confused. Pls answer to me guys Q.Q GAO GAO
XenocrisiFeb 17, 2015 1:54 PM
Feb 17, 2015 11:14 AM
Jul 2018
why-so-qwerty said:
Erm I fail to understand how is this show about homophobia when literally every major character is a lesbian?

Main character appear to be somewhat byronic,in conflict with society,which forces people into "invisible storm"(it sweeps by,without something really noticeable,it does not catch other people's attention,since most of them are part of it).The invisible storm excluded Kureha because she was standing out(due being a lesbian),she was labeled evil because of it and suffered for it,as we could see in the sixth episode.
Feb 17, 2015 11:34 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
gdi that cliffhanger
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Hunt: Showdown 1896 again when you read this

Feb 17, 2015 12:03 PM

Jul 2014
why-so-qwerty said:

Yes they are all lesbians but they try to oppress their feelings in favor of the "group". I think it's like this: They are all "friends", and individuals are not allowed to have an individual "special" friend that they like or love more than the others. The invisible girls don't want to become an outcast, so there occurs homophobia.

@Xenocrisi, I think that the girl who gets eaten is just an unimportant invisible girl. Afer all Eriko, Akae and Kaoru are the only "important" invisible girls in the show right now. But it seems like they won't get any more important. Yurizono eating that girl in the end of Ep 2 just wanted to show us that bears need to eat a human every now and then and that girls who don't back down on love are more delicious than invisible girls.
PabilsagFeb 17, 2015 12:07 PM
Feb 17, 2015 4:45 PM
Jun 2012
I have a feeling that Kureha's remembering won't turn out that well... Particularly if she concludes she hates bears in general more than she loved Ginko.

Also, did she really forget Ginko while her mother was still alive? Or did she repress it because she was a bear and her mother was killed by one and later the teacher played around with her memories to paint another picture? And why did Ginko return to the bear world at all? Was it because Kureha's mother died and so there was no one to take care of her around here?
Feb 17, 2015 5:05 PM

Jul 2007
llefvoid said:
I have a feeling that Kureha's remembering won't turn out that well... Particularly if she concludes she hates bears in general more than she loved Ginko.

Also, did she really forget Ginko while her mother was still alive? Or did she repress it because she was a bear and her mother was killed by one and later the teacher played around with her memories to paint another picture? And why did Ginko return to the bear world at all? Was it because Kureha's mother died and so there was no one to take care of her around here?
It seems to have happened while the mother was alive. For whatever reason.
Feb 17, 2015 6:07 PM

Dec 2013
Feb 17, 2015 6:49 PM

Aug 2014
Gosh this is getting better by every chapter! Quite the mistery behind Kureha's forgetting about Ginko, something happened and we need to know!
The war scene was so sad and depressing :( poor bears. Looking forward to next chapter...that cliffhanger!
https://twitter.com/LightningDash02
OTPs || MyAnimeList || MyMangaList || Favorite Guys || Favorite Girls || Favorite Anime

~LightningXDash02
Feb 17, 2015 8:25 PM

Jan 2013
Good episode, more things are becoming clear.
Hard to believe those bears could kill humans so easily.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2015

161 by zoluer »»
Aug 9, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2015

107 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:44 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2015

140 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:14 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2015

194 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2015

417 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.