Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 10, 2014 9:34 PM
Apr 2013
MC is annoying for being whiny but he is somehow a realistic character for me which is good once in a while. I'm tired seeing animes having characters that have near perfect personalities. Good episode.
Jul 10, 2014 9:41 PM

Jan 2013
Sourire said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
snip
dude we get it, you hate everything that is popular and you root for the underdogs constantly, no need to write 3 paragraphs about it.. both shows are completely different yet you compare the two of them because they have mechas *golf clap*

Welp, I've seen that "commoners with *epic* scene fetish have no taste" argument everywhere on MAL. I really wonder why he even tries.
DawnJJul 10, 2014 9:51 PM
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 10, 2014 9:57 PM

Oct 2007
Can somebody point out the scene to me where Tokimune is whining his ass off every episode. Like I'm genuinely curious now as to which part people are talking about cause I'm not really seeing it.
Jul 10, 2014 11:05 PM

Nov 2012
bonifide said:
TaisakuSentou said:

I acknowledge that he is a soldier and that he is doing an awful job at being one, but the point that I'm trying to show is that he has flaws and those give room for Tokimune to develop as a character. It's just that a majority of the people complaining about him on this topic hate the fact he is an anti-sue. For awhile, there hasn't really been protagonists that have this many flaws. It feels a little better to see some variation in main characters every now and then.

What you mean a protagonists with this many flaws. Thats just about all shounen I cant name one of them perfect. Naruto and Luffy is dumb. If the commander was controlling the mecha i would like it much more. Name characters lately thats perfect because i cant name one this season or other seasons. I guess you could say Jojo series but thats technically a 1980s series when shounen characters was at their best.

here's a list
Jul 10, 2014 11:09 PM

Jul 2013
My God, they are even lazy to animate the Argevollen without utilizing the CG model EVERY GOD DAMN TIME! I mean wow, I can understand using the CG model on battle scenes but how difficult is it for them to draw the Argevollen on simple scenes (like those walking scenes)?

Kaioshin_Sama said:
Can somebody point out the scene to me where Tokimune is whining his ass off every episode. Like I'm genuinely curious now as to which part people are talking about cause I'm not really seeing it.

He's like a spoiled brat. I seriously don't see why he needed to yell at Jamie the whole time when he was trying to learn how to control Argevollen.. it's like WTF did she do to him except giving him the most technologically advanced war machine and teaching him how to control it? he made it seem like she forced him to eat shit or something. It's like he has this unnatural need to antagonize Jamie whenever she spoke. Room for character development aside, it's just annoying to hear him yell all the time.

I think everyone else has made a good point already about him not fitting to be a soldier. Tbh I seriously don't see any reason why he has to pilot Argevollen at all. That's like giving an F-16 to someone who has just learned how to pilot a helicopter.

Anyway I'm dropping this. Nothing too outstanding and it's way too similar to Break Blade only Break Blade has better setting and mech design. The opening is nice though, I'll give it that.
Jul 10, 2014 11:18 PM

Jun 2014
I'm gonna try to stick it out for a couple more episodes, but it really hasn't done anything to grab me thus far. The world is dull, the characters are dull, the action is dull. But you never know it could start to pick up soon, it is 24 episodes after all.
Jul 10, 2014 11:51 PM

Jun 2013
If only this show had the budget of Aldnoah.Zero. That's where it's suffering the most.

As someone who is used to oldschool anime, I am easily able to look past the stiffness, but I understand a lot of the kids on MAL need smooth and flashy visuals for the same reason they wouldn't be able to enjoy an NES game.

That being said, it's 2014, not 1990, so this show likely amounts to some sort of cheap cash grab. It's one of the few non-highschool/non-emo mecha to come out in the past several years, so I'll keep watching for that reason. I love how it's all taking place in a forest with a military setting, not some Tokyo high school.
ex_necrossJul 10, 2014 11:56 PM
Jul 11, 2014 12:15 AM
Feb 2014
hmm so far i love this more than aldnoah (maybe because aldnoah not yet dive to the action part). will give this 2-3 episode again before give it my decision, comparing the MC with mahouka's tatsuya onii-sama is insult for the MC

and i remember last season people complaining about sidonia 3dcg..
Jul 11, 2014 12:43 AM
Jan 2011
The mechs look somehow familiar to me, they remind me of wantzers from "Front mission" to name one out of at least five other series. Wouldn't surprise me if someone got sued for this one, then again it wouldn't surprise me if that wouldn't occur this time around either.

However honestly speaking, I'll probably watch this to the end if only, just for the journey.
On another note, the whole concept of using uniforms/tactics/technologies from world war 1 and 2 is an overused theme, it was interesting the first ten times or so, but after that it got kinda bad really fast.
Jul 11, 2014 1:47 AM

Jun 2012
Sorry, but I just don't like the general change from 2D animated drawn mechs to CGI mechs... Are there any good new Anime with drawn mechs?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2014 1:50 AM

Oct 2007
ex_necross said:
If only this show had the budget of Aldnoah.Zero. That's where it's suffering the most.

As someone who is used to oldschool anime, I am easily able to look past the stiffness, but I understand a lot of the kids on MAL need smooth and flashy visuals for the same reason they wouldn't be able to enjoy an NES game.

That being said, it's 2014, not 1990, so this show likely amounts to some sort of cheap cash grab. It's one of the few non-highschool/non-emo mecha to come out in the past several years, so I'll keep watching for that reason. I love how it's all taking place in a forest with a military setting, not some Tokyo high school.

Given A-1's track record within enough time the shows animation qualities could very well interest though that's also dependent on Xebec.

And yeah man 80's mecha anime could look just as stiff as it did fluid sometimes with that cell animation. Sometimes you could even see where the cells were lining up but you got used to it after a while. To me though both shows likely end up being the ones I partake of between Knights of Sidonia and the oncoming Gundam shows and both clearly aim at different things so the overlap won't be as bad.
MoeGod said:
My God, they are even lazy to animate the Argevollen without utilizing the CG model EVERY GOD DAMN TIME! I mean wow, I can understand using the CG model on battle scenes but how difficult is it for them to draw the Argevollen on simple scenes (like those walking scenes)?

Kaioshin_Sama said:

He's like a spoiled brat. I seriously don't see why he needed to yell at Jamie the whole time when he was trying to learn how to control Argevollen.. it's like WTF did she do to him except giving him the most technologically advanced war machine and teaching him how to control it? he made it seem like she forced him to eat shit or something. It's like he has this unnatural need to antagonize Jamie whenever she spoke. Room for character development aside, it's just annoying to hear him yell all the time.

I think everyone else has made a good point already about him not fitting to be a soldier. Tbh I seriously don't see any reason why he has to pilot Argevollen at all. That's like giving an F-16 to someone who has just learned how to pilot a helicopter.

He doesn't know how to pilot it, that's the whole point as I've tried to mention. He's frustrated and says some unreasonable stuff but that's kind of the point. He clearly wants to do his part but just lacks the skill sets right now that the other have. Also the reason he has to pilot it is stated in the episode and in discussions we've already had so all I can suggest is to pay closer attention. And again the whole "giving an F-16 to someone that just learned how to pilot a helicopter" factor is PRECISELY the point. I think if you acknowledge that and it's still a problem then the show maybe just isn't for you at that point.

VonSchiller said:
Sorry, but I just don't like the general change from 2D animated drawn mechs to CGI mechs... Are there any good new Anime with drawn mechs?

Gundam Build Fighters and Gundam Unicorn are pretty good. Gundam G's Reconguista in the fall looks like it'll be all hand drawn too so I'd recommend giving that a shot as well. There was also Break Blade recently that was pretty decent. Basically though it seems like only Gundam is really making an effort to stick to non 3DCGI mecha though even that is experimenting more with the method of late.
PeacingOutJul 11, 2014 1:56 AM
Jul 11, 2014 1:56 AM

Jan 2011
damn people are pretty hard on this already, its not the greatest though i'm only watching because the ally forces mech's remind me of front mission desgins not only that they actually have mounted guns and can't move insanely fast let alone fly
Jul 11, 2014 2:11 AM

Jan 2011
Actually the mechs remind me more of the designs from Battletech a couple of decades ago http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1399/49/1399494230871.jpg. What I like about the show is that embodies a lot more military realism than most of the mech series. Just to deal with a few points, the "school" that the mc went to is probably just the equivalent of the training course to turn out tank drivers and gunners. If it was anything more he wouldn't be coming out of it with the rank of private. As a rookie in the unit he was originally told to basically "shut up and do what the experienced soldier tells you to do", instead he went off to rescue the civilian and ended up losing his assigned, old, and somewhat obsolete mech (the trail krieger) and exchanging it for the experimental model. I won't go into detail on how these mechs actually are affected by gravity and really seem to be the lumbering brutes that they should be, or about how it makes sense that they would require a close support unit with a number of mechanics in order to remain operational, nor will I talk now about the implications of being in a long war of attrition will impact upon the attitudes of soldiers and officers in the field. I'll just come back to the point--these characters are a lot more realistic than your standard high school gary stu with the special ability that for some strange reason allows him to defeat all comers--this guy is just a poor schmuck who jumped into the cockpit in desperation and is now keyed to the control system. He can probably win a one on one with the other side's mechs since he is more maneuverable, but up against two at once he had to run and lead them into an ambush prepared by the experienced mech pilots in his unit. I'm not a big mech fan, but I'm liking this show more than most.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jul 11, 2014 3:17 AM

Jan 2014
I liked this episode; it showed that Tokimune isn't a Rambo-Bruce Lee-The Terminator type of character, but someone still fresh from training (and all of that was to work with an older, last-gen model mech). It's like someone going to a Drive School to get a trucker licence, when on the first day after finishing the school are given a Honda Fireblade and being told to win the MotoGP right from the get-go.

Additionally, as it has been pointed out on the forum, the show has yet to explain which in kind of military school Tokimune was training in. It could've been a Special Ops course or a crash-course run-out-of-the-mill for a month or 2 (most likely the latter). Also, they're in the middle of a war, and on the losing side as well. During World War II, the UK has suffered great losses of pilots, so the RAF shortened the training, and focused it mostly on Bomber-type. Tokimune could've come to the squad due to similar situation.

All in all, I'm liking this show so far
BlazePonyJul 11, 2014 3:50 AM
Jul 11, 2014 4:36 AM

Mar 2008
Very much liking the layers of command being seen. It'll be interesting to see what sort of direction the story is going to take us.

Running all the way back to give advice did seem somewhat nonsensical, but other than that and the readiness of the two red-mechs to pursue an enemy into the unknown, the storytelling has been very solid so far.

Earlier posters really are overblowing the "whining". Being a rookie, just having his first battle, disobeying orders, and now being incapable of properly piloting his mech (thus making him deadweight) all seem like reasonable pressures that'd cause one to lose their cool under the danger of pursuit during a long march.
If they dislike his personality in whole, then fair enough, but if they're simply upset about his outbursts, then they have somewhat fantasist expectations as to the maturity of youth in a show that's clearly going for a relatively "grounded" approach.

Also, that one scene focusing on Argevollen's legs as he increasingly accelarates - that was lovely, though perhaps a little stretched out.
Jul 11, 2014 4:50 AM

Jan 2013
From my experience, the (very short) period right after training school is when the new recruits are the most *motivated*. Not always tho.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jul 11, 2014 6:54 AM

Mar 2014
I felt lately that the mecha-anime has make the story where I want the bad guys to win !!
Jul 11, 2014 8:15 AM

Jan 2011
the rookie pilot suppose to be a soldier but acting like a school kid, guess they recruit from very young age

and of course, only our hero can pilot that super high tech mecha :)

gonna continue watching for now, hope they show more about the overall progress of the war
Jul 11, 2014 10:40 AM

Oct 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
It sucks to see how little a chance this is being given but its a mecha show without big names behind it so not surprised. As of this episode this show has definitely exceeded my expectations and I even like it better than Aldnoah right now. Its not trying to shock you with mass death events but rather is focusing on strategic objectives, the character portrayals aren't ham-fistedly black and white with evil antagonists wanting to cause carnage and death out of superiority complex and the MC actually has a personality.

I like how the Ingelman commander was rounding captured soldiers up from last episode and interrogating them for information. No canings, no "know your place scum", just tell me things and then take them away. The order to mop up remnants puts Tokimunes squad in a pinch as they have to go underground to try to make it back to the capital but they're found out anyway. Meanwhile Tokimune struggles and is frustrated by having to learn on the fly how to operate what seems like a partially mentally controlled new generation mech after being drilled on how to operate the older models and being a total rookie and its interesting seeing how Jamie struggles to find a way to explain it too him and both show their own frustrations but end up forming a workable team for now. The commanding officer must have veins of ice sending a total rookie to guard their rear but I can see why he did it cause it basically gives them a chance to set up their ambush and survive. I like that despite Tokimune getting the big prototype robot its not him just carving through the Ingelman units but working with his squad and trusting their experience to catch the enemy off guard. Very real robot.

I like how the things that happen in this show so far happen for practical reasons rather than just for maximum drama and "epic" moments. The director for this show said on twitter that he saw Aldnoah.Zero and was impressed but got a chuckle that it seems to be aiming for something very different and I'll need another episode to tell but I can kind of see what he means now. I think if youre looking for big shock and awe, "despair", popular staffers influence, and melodrama that's probably going to be the show to look too while this will be the traditional real robot fans show in the long run and something of a dark horse. If there was one thing I didnt like though it was the use of the old pattern copying 100% match trope to explain why Tokimune had to operate the Argevollen, its the most played out and hand wave trope I noticed and for the other things it does well you'd think the show could find a more original reason than that but small nitpicks here really.

dude im with ya
Jul 11, 2014 12:02 PM

Jan 2011
rodac said:
Actually the mechs remind me more of the designs from Battletech a couple of decades ago http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1399/49/1399494230871.jpg.

yeah the enemy ones do oddly look like those but its hard to deny how much the body frames look alike
http://mechachan.com/m/src/129798394364.jpg
Jul 11, 2014 12:20 PM

Nov 2013
Nice episode. Still nothing special or great but it's not doing much wrong either. I'm really enjoying this, the art is pretty decent, well they could work on the animation a little bit more but I'm, for the most part, fine with it the way it is now, just don't get worse. OST was good again this episode.

I'm starting to like the mc and Jamie. The other squad members aren't too bad either so I'm hoping we get to see more of them as the show progresses. One thing that bugged me this episode was the captain, it sort of sucks that we aren't told what he's thinking. Would be nice if he does more than be an emotionless squad leader that just keeps saying "we're leaving."

Lol Suzushiro is already shipping Tokimune and Jamie.

The mecha battles were ok, hoping they improve in the next episodes.

OP and ED weren't too bad. Could be better though.
I like this 4/5
Kaioshin_Sama said:
It sucks to see how little a chance this is being given but its a mecha show without big names behind it so not surprised. As of this episode this show has definitely exceeded my expectations and I even like it better than Aldnoah right now. Its not trying to shock you with mass death events but rather is focusing on strategic objectives, the character portrayals aren't ham-fistedly black and white with evil antagonists wanting to cause carnage and death out of superiority complex and the MC actually has a personality.

I like how the Ingelman commander was rounding captured soldiers up from last episode and interrogating them for information. No canings, no "know your place scum", just tell me things and then take them away. The order to mop up remnants puts Tokimunes squad in a pinch as they have to go underground to try to make it back to the capital but they're found out anyway. Meanwhile Tokimune struggles and is frustrated by having to learn on the fly how to operate what seems like a partially mentally controlled new generation mech after being drilled on how to operate the older models and being a total rookie and its interesting seeing how Jamie struggles to find a way to explain it too him and both show their own frustrations but end up forming a workable team for now. The commanding officer must have veins of ice sending a total rookie to guard their rear but I can see why he did it cause it basically gives them a chance to set up their ambush and survive. I like that despite Tokimune getting the big prototype robot its not him just carving through the Ingelman units but working with his squad and trusting their experience to catch the enemy off guard. Very real robot.

I like how the things that happen in this show so far happen for practical reasons rather than just for maximum drama and "epic" moments. The director for this show said on twitter that he saw Aldnoah.Zero and was impressed but got a chuckle that it seems to be aiming for something very different and I'll need another episode to tell but I can kind of see what he means now. I think if youre looking for big shock and awe, "despair", popular staffers influence, and melodrama that's probably going to be the show to look too while this will be the traditional real robot fans show in the long run and something of a dark horse. If there was one thing I didnt like though it was the use of the old pattern copying 100% match trope to explain why Tokimune had to operate the Argevollen, its the most played out and hand wave trope I noticed and for the other things it does well you'd think the show could find a more original reason than that but small nitpicks here really.
While I think you're exaggerating a little bit here, I'm inclined to agree with most of what you said. It really is a shame that this is being overshadowed by AZero. Both are good but this one is not getting enough attention sadly. Let's hope it improves more with each episode and maybe it will get more attention, kind of like what happened with Sidonia. Only time will tell.

VanishingKira said:
M3 is more bearable than this shit.
Hahaha... no.
Jul 11, 2014 5:06 PM

Mar 2012
The one in Tokyo Ghoul and the guy here are best mcs of the season for now. I like to watch them struggle and learn from what there are in.
Jul 11, 2014 7:00 PM

Feb 2013
At least it picked up at the end there.

... and I thought everybody knew that mysterious new mecha models could read minds... oh well.
Jul 11, 2014 9:21 PM

Sep 2011
I must be insane cause I thoroughly enjoyed this. i love the slower pacing with the military setting, I'm liking how they handle certain things like how tokimune was going to be left behind for not keeping up like how a real soldier would be treater. i like that the main character cant operate the mech efficiently and even at the end when he improves he was still outnumbered by 2 more mechs and was forced to retreat. I love how the mechs are bulky and have weight behind them like they are actually giant metal machines. I see a ton of room for character development with the main character.

Everywhere I look I see people saying that this is generic and forgettable, yeah its shares many cliches but having cliches is not inherintly bad, all shows no matter how much we pretend they dont are all cliches in some way or another. its how you execute the cliches that make them stand out, argevelon isnt doing them exceptionally but it hasnt been doing any of them wrong and i am see honest to god potential in the series.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 12, 2014 1:39 AM
Jan 2014
Sheesh, what a crap pilot. And what a crap engineer... I'm shocked they both survived until now.
Jul 12, 2014 1:50 AM

May 2014
JizzyHitler said:
I love how the mechs are bulky and have weight behind them like they are actually giant metal machines. I see a ton of room for character development with the main character.
The low framerate of the rendered CGI contributes to the feeling of bulkiness.
And with it being 2-cour let's hope for some character development.
Jul 12, 2014 3:45 AM

Dec 2010
The military feeling is building up, something such a titile needs, so I don't mind the slow start. The episode was a bit better than the first one.

Stop hating on Tokimune because he's not Tatsuya.
Jul 12, 2014 6:50 AM

May 2013
My only complaint about this anime is that the animation is not suited in the song. Come on, its KOTOKO damnit!

And I like how Tokimune shouts. Its like he reminds me of Eren, haha.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Jul 12, 2014 9:30 AM

Jun 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Gundam Build Fighters and Gundam Unicorn are pretty good. Gundam G's Reconguista in the fall looks like it'll be all hand drawn too so I'd recommend giving that a shot as well. There was also Break Blade recently that was pretty decent. Basically though it seems like only Gundam is really making an effort to stick to non 3DCGI mecha though even that is experimenting more with the method of late.

Thank's a lot! I'll keep an eye on those!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 12, 2014 9:38 AM

Sep 2011
VonSchiller said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Thank's a lot! I'll keep an eye on those!
also bones mechas like star driver and captain earth are entirely hand drawn though the latter's writing is quite lacking.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 12, 2014 1:23 PM

Dec 2013
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I'm just having a hard time understanding what it is specifically that Tokimune is doing that is infuriating people to such a degree and that makes him such an unbearable character cause to me its like he really hasn't done anything that warrants such a reaction.

Have to agree here, I just finished this episode and wanted to commend it for being so realistic to current warfare and common sense (the soldier capture, the commander's decisions to forego trucks and take the best option route, the other pilots testing out their own theories regarding the Argevollin instead of just taking Jamies word for it). The only reason why I could think of Tokimune being hated was his stupid attempt at humanitarian aid last episode without considering the options and consequences clearly (which almost got himself and his superior officer killed).

In this episode, he tried following orders, did what he was told, and even reprimanded Jamie for coming back for him when saving her was their unit's top priority. If anything you would think that Jamie was the less likable character with less common sense in this episode. Seriously, you have a headphone to talk over, why the flying F could you not just explain how to control that machine via the mic? Why pull the door to the mech open (how the hell did she know how to do that anyway?) run down a freaking slope just to stand in front of the MC to tell him all out of breath how to control that machine? Putting yourself and the people around you's lives in danger in the process? Being a civilian here doesn't cut it, it's common sense and a self preservation trigger, you can't go against such things, not for a serious Anime like this one. It just doesn't fly.

Seriously, I couldn't find much fault in Tokimune this episode, but for Jamie, I found plenty. I guess they evened things out on the blame part in my eyes.

Gonna continue to watch and support this show, this MC is STILL better than the douche from Break Blade (not Girge, mind you, Girge was freakin awesome!).
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 12, 2014 2:31 PM

Feb 2012
I like the direction this anime is going, but I'm seriously doubting the commander at the moment. An essential task of a rear guard is to ensure they are not decisively engaged. You don't just let people die like that. I spent half of the episode wondering why they didn't set up an ambush in the tunnel, and then they just happened to do so ad hoc when they decided to save Tokimune.

I love how they are tying to make this anime into a hard core military story, but I wished they actually tried to use reasonable tactics.
Jul 12, 2014 2:50 PM

Feb 2010
L-Ryoshi said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
I'm just having a hard time understanding what it is specifically that Tokimune is doing that is infuriating people to such a degree and that makes him such an unbearable character cause to me its like he really hasn't done anything that warrants such a reaction.

Have to agree here, I just finished this episode and wanted to commend it for being so realistic to current warfare and common sense (the soldier capture, the commander's decisions to forego trucks and take the best option route, the other pilots testing out their own theories regarding the Argevollin instead of just taking Jamies word for it). The only reason why I could think of Tokimune being hated was his stupid attempt at humanitarian aid last episode without considering the options and consequences clearly (which almost got himself and his superior officer killed).

In this episode, he tried following orders, did what he was told, and even reprimanded Jamie for coming back for him when saving her was their unit's top priority. If anything you would think that Jamie was the less likable character with less common sense in this episode. Seriously, you have a headphone to talk over, why the flying F could you not just explain how to control that machine via the mic? Why pull the door to the mech open (how the hell did she know how to do that anyway?) run down a freaking slope just to stand in front of the MC to tell him all out of breath how to control that machine? Putting yourself and the people around you's lives in danger in the process? Being a civilian here doesn't cut it, it's common sense and a self preservation trigger, you can't go against such things, not for a serious Anime like this one. It just doesn't fly.

Seriously, I couldn't find much fault in Tokimune this episode, but for Jamie, I found plenty. I guess they evened things out on the blame part in my eyes.

Gonna continue to watch and support this show, this MC is STILL better than the douche from Break Blade (not Girge, mind you, Girge was freakin awesome!).

Touché, don't get why everyones hating on him. It was his first battle before and its not like hes whining about killing people or anything. If anything, I would've thought people wouldv'e been more happy with how he is a a character than some of the other ones they moan about. He's not complaining about fighting, he's trying to learn how to use the mecha that they had absolutely no idea about, he isn't constantly crying like people complain about even though it can be realistic, you can just never win with most main characters in anime. I was impressed with how determined he was to follow the orders even though he knew he might be going to his death.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this so far and looking forward to the next episode. Great opening btw.
cloud8100Jul 13, 2014 12:37 AM
Jul 12, 2014 7:57 PM

Dec 2009
I may be of the minority but I'm really liking this one.
Jul 13, 2014 11:54 AM

May 2012
First episode: Boy gets new mecha and saves the day.
Second episode: Boy can barely control mecha and keep it standing. Foot dragging happens for most of the episode until girl engineer has an epiphany. Girl tells boy to stop thinking about controlling mecha and think about surviving and doing what he wants to do. Boy magically controls mecha so smoothly and wipes out enemies, thereby saving the day again.

Nope, I just can't force myself to watch this anymore. Everything is lacking: the story, the crappy corner cutting animation, and the crappy characters. The only redeeming feature this anime has is that KOTOKO sings the show opening theme song.

Dropped.
Go ***k yourself.

Polite as usual,
lightXTC
Jul 13, 2014 7:42 PM

Sep 2011
lightXTC said:
First episode: Boy gets new mecha and saves the day.
You mean when he missed completly and barely killed the other mech?

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jul 14, 2014 6:52 AM

Sep 2008
Why would you develop a mecha that can only be piloted by first person in it?
How do you test it? Test pilot would make it unusable.
It would only make sense if one is making mecha specifically for high ranked officers.
A small up-and-coming company should prioritize mass production.
One mech can't be controlled by more than one person is bad in times of war. What happens if a pilot dies? Discard the mech? I doubt state of the art mech is cheap to produce.

That aside, the MC was not as annoying or loud as I expected him to be so kudos for that.
I did get pissed off to no end when the stupid c*** jumped out of mech to run to him, especially because 5 seconds earlier they talked over radio.

Another thing. They should have given enemy patrol fracking names. They are a scout unit, 99% chance they know each others names. A fellow soldier dies next to you and you call him g2? Another one is g3.
That is just lazy. Give them generic names, any will do.
I felt like in video game: "You have encountered bandit 1, bandit 2 and bandit 3. What do you do?"

I don't need them to have personality, but making them numbers? Come on.

This show gets a lot of hate, sometimes undeserving. But boy, they are not helping either.
Jul 14, 2014 6:52 AM

Jan 2014
meh not bad but didn't saw nothing that feels really special or amazing
Jul 14, 2014 12:43 PM
Mar 2013
Jamie was mad af about leaving the pilot. Future love maybe? It would be nice.
Jul 14, 2014 5:02 PM

Dec 2008
Still don't like Jamie, but I'm glad she stood up for Tokimune.
I think the Argevollen is quite nice. I want to pilot it.

Sent with Mal Updater
Jul 14, 2014 7:47 PM

May 2012
Nicer than episode 1.
7.5/10 for this ep.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
Jul 15, 2014 9:14 PM

Oct 2013
didn't really like it so far. But still gonna give it a chance since it's 24 episode, the start might be slow
Jul 22, 2014 4:31 PM
Nov 2012
nina4life said:
Why would you develop a mecha that can only be piloted by first person in it?
How do you test it? Test pilot would make it unusable.
It would only make sense if one is making mecha specifically for high ranked officers.
A small up-and-coming company should prioritize mass production.
One mech can't be controlled by more than one person is bad in times of war. What happens if a pilot dies? Discard the mech? I doubt state of the art mech is cheap to produce.

That aside, the MC was not as annoying or loud as I expected him to be so kudos for that.
I did get pissed off to no end when the stupid c*** jumped out of mech to run to him, especially because 5 seconds earlier they talked over radio.

Another thing. They should have given enemy patrol fracking names. They are a scout unit, 99% chance they know each others names. A fellow soldier dies next to you and you call him g2? Another one is g3.
That is just lazy. Give them generic names, any will do.
I felt like in video game: "You have encountered bandit 1, bandit 2 and bandit 3. What do you do?"

I don't need them to have personality, but making them numbers? Come on.

This show gets a lot of hate, sometimes undeserving. But boy, they are not helping either.

QFA (mostly)... and dropped.
Jul 26, 2014 11:08 AM
Aug 2011
Boring as fuck.
22 weeks more (well 20 now) seem like such a long span of my life when I start thinking about how there are so many mech anime out there that i've been dying to watch.
Jul 26, 2014 2:22 PM

Sep 2011
parfaited said:
Boring as fuck.
22 weeks more (well 20 now) seem like such a long span of my life when I start thinking about how there are so many mech anime out there that i've been dying to watch.
I think it can possibly improve but yeah theres really nothing so far that states this really is something worth putting your time into, especially since this really is just a slower gundam ms team rip off with more unrealistic military actions.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Aug 4, 2014 9:46 AM
May 2014
Well I guess the fight scene was alright... Not much else to be said though..
Aug 17, 2014 1:25 AM

Mar 2014
TaisakuSentou said:
What I see is openings for some good character development to ensue on Tokimune. This episode showed a great struggle for him, for he cannot handle the responsibility to pilot the mech.

Agreed to this point. The scene with him and Jamie and basically the entire last third of the episode really showed some glimpses of hope, and signs that, however slowly, there's some progression on the way. It was enough to get me back for an ep 3 in any case, as I was on the verge of checking out based on the first half of this episode.
mlvxciAug 17, 2014 1:32 AM
Aug 17, 2014 1:30 AM

Mar 2014
L-Ryoshi said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Agreed with all of this. The worst I could say about Tokimune is that he's bland and a bit cookie-cutter lead male (so far), but I wouldn't say he's done anything to enrage or annoy the viewer. In fact if anything we saw relatively little of him this ep - the focus seemed to be more on Jamie and the military's leaders, at least in the first half.
Sep 29, 2014 3:20 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

I do not know why, but this 2nd episode I liked it more than the 1st and has also improved a little bit in terms of graphics, thank goodness!
The atmosphere seemed quite good, I sensed an undercurrent of war is the military context, then the characters are mangy is why I also like, though still poorly characterized, while recognizing that the profiles of the characters are similar to other previously seen and also I do not like very much.
The plot is interesting, look forward to the next episodes to see growth, after all, the series is pretty long.
As previously mentioned, the design of the characters and improved and the CG was not bad.
Nov 7, 2014 1:06 PM

Jun 2011
What I don't like about Tokimune? The fact that he shouts at everything, well, almost. Remember how he asked if Jamie is really an engineer in a rude manner? That's the part. I don't like Jamie, but that doesn't mean that he can just go and say stuff like that. It's like he's mad about something 24/7.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

72 by oooo3333 »»
Dec 6, 2020 12:07 AM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2014

31 by oooo3333 »»
Nov 25, 2020 1:21 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

74 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 16, 2017 7:10 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

76 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 11, 2017 7:26 AM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

91 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 10, 2017 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.