Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Jul 5, 2014 2:15 AM

Mar 2014
I like the setting and the mecha designs, well everything but the Argevollen's head, it's body is really neat.

The MC really pissed me of for 3/4 of the episode though, he had potential because he's already a graduated pilot but his attitude was just annoying and childish. I really hope he'll improve.
Jul 5, 2014 3:33 AM
Jun 2009
YoumuKonpaku said:
Anyone who wants to call this show generic should just leave this site.

I call this show generic and I will not go anywhere. It's not only generic, it's also a bad show. I know, logic is non-existent in anime, but everything has i's own limit. You can dodge a bullet, slice it into two pieces, jump from third floor or even fly. That's anime logic alright. But making stupid decision only to be saved by max luck hack is just damn lame. And that's our main character. The whole episode is dull and bland, for serious. It's not like the animation and art are actually good either. Bad anime is bad, may be the plot will get better and the main character will actually pick up some brains but with such a bad start, it will not become good enough for me to actually bother watching it.

Drop.

Btw, since the main character is a graduated pilot. He deserves to be shot, not just slapped. Your average school boy may get away for being stupid, rebellious and rash but an actually graduated pilot doesnt have that kind of luxury. I dont know what the hell they taught him in the pilot school but he has neither skill or discipline. May be their standard is just really low.
soluuloiAug 5, 2016 9:38 AM
Jul 5, 2014 5:08 AM
Feb 2013
soluuloi said:
YoumuKonpaku said:
Anyone who wants to call this show generic should just leave this site.

I call this show generic and I will not go anywhere. It's not only generic, it's also a bad show. I know, logic is non-existent in anime, but everything has it's own limit. You can dodge a bullet, slice it into two pieces, jump from third floor or even fly. That's anime logic alright. But making stupid decision only to be saved by max luck hack is just damn lame. That's our main character. The whole episode is dull and bland, for serious. It's not like the animation and art are actually good either. Bad anime is bad, may be the plot will get better and the main character will actually pick up some brains but with such a bad start, it will not become good enough for me to actually bother watching it.

Drop.

Btw, since the main character is a graduated pilot. He deserves to be shot, not just being slapped. Your average school boy may get away for being stupid, rebellious and rash but an actually graduated pilot doesnt have that kind of luxury. I dont know what the hell they taught him in the pilot school but he has neither skill or discipline. May be their standard is just really low.

While your points aren't all without any merit, I do note you said 'dropped'. At least you're being clear and consistent about it. Nothing as annoying as people complaining and whining how worthless and boring a series is WEEK AFTER WEEK.

In contrast, there is no shame in dropping a series when you don't like it; on the contrary, that makes the most sense. It's utter foolhardy (and often trollish) to do otherwise. It lacks logical sense. I think people have better things to do than waste their time complaining about something they don't like, instead of just moving on and watching something one does like, then. We all have different tastes and tolerance-levels, what is good for one is bad for another, but that doesn't mean one should spam the chan.

So, I respect your decision (for me personally, it's still too soon to drop it). I prefer this (not liking it and dropping it) above incessant whining.
AnimageNebyJul 5, 2014 5:14 AM
Jul 5, 2014 5:32 AM
Apr 2013
Wow this is 08th MS-ish. MC is annoying but I think it will grow on me. Good episode.
Jul 5, 2014 9:20 AM

Mar 2014
It was an ok episode I suppose, but a pretty generic start. MC is some kid/ young adult who just is given a super mech or something that makes all the others look stupid and has a bunch of flashing lights and built in cup holders. At least he isn't like a super PRO pilot or anything so he won't be ridiculously OP against the other mechs. I wonder how long until his "arch enemy" type character will appear with a mech similar or equal to the MC's own.
Jul 5, 2014 10:06 AM

Sep 2013
That was a decent first episode. The Gundam vibes were obvious, but I'm fine with it. I'm going to continue with this one to see where it goes, even bad mecha is good entertainment.
Jul 5, 2014 10:37 AM

Mar 2014
In a word, I'd say this was lackluster. Not exactly generic, but when you predict something happening, then it does, it loses the sense of surprise. It was honestly difficult for me to pay attention to the episode. And it reminded me of Break Blade (TV). Which I also dropped.

This doesn't mean it's a bad show, but it isn't for me. I just hope I'm not losing interest in the mecha genre.
Jul 5, 2014 10:40 AM

Mar 2013
The atmosphere so far is really well done , definitely different from what we've been getting lately with the mecha genre where the main characters are always highschool students, that alone is a plus in my book, and yes the circumstances leading to the mc getting the a new op mech is fairly typical and while I really wished they would have stayed grounded within the more serious war setting overall this is not as bad or as generic as people are making it out to be
Jul 5, 2014 11:22 AM
Feb 2013
Phoenix1220 said:
It was an ok episode I suppose, but a pretty generic start. MC is some kid/ young adult who just is given a super mech or something that makes all the others look stupid and has a bunch of flashing lights and built in cup holders.

Lol. That was funny.

It was quite flashy, true. It seemed like it had a head start of 50 years, technology-wise, compared with the other mechs. Maybe they'll introduce an 'alien' origin-component in there, I don't know. Normally, one doesn't just 'have' technology 50 years in advance on any other country or power out there. If one had, one could easily dominate the whole world.

At least he isn't like a super PRO pilot or anything so he won't be ridiculously OP against the other mechs. I wonder how long until his "arch enemy" type character will appear with a mech similar or equal to the MC's own.

Ah yes, that's a much other used trope in mecha, true. One can add that to the ones I already said/predicted here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1217645&show=140#msg32225097.

I largely agree with you it has been rather generic/classic-trope following, as of yet. But it is only the first episode, and it wasn't THAT bad. It was reasonably ok, in fact, provided you didn't expect too much originality from it. I dare say it does look like they're going to use all the mecha-tropes out there, but, still...there are other parameters apart from originality in story-development that matter. It could be they compensate with worldbuilding, characterdevelopment and/or subplots, for instance. We'll see.
Jul 5, 2014 1:02 PM

Oct 2012
I thought this was pretty nice. Will continue watching.

"Why did he have to surrender, what is more in the outside world, huh, sumptuousness, freedom? Nowhere in the world are you going to find them fools! Fools!" -USSR president, Future War 198X-nen
Jul 5, 2014 5:14 PM

Jul 2010
Like everyone already said, generic as fuck, really. Not that it is necessarily a bad thing but you know, now I know what can I expect from this.

While the mecha design was fine I found some animations really poor, I wonder how low the budget is.
Jul 5, 2014 9:38 PM

Dec 2013
The animation, sound and pacing were all great and all but....

I hope the hell to god that just because he saved some civilians that doesn't save him from getting court-marshaled for insubordination.

It was complete insane anime plot-armor (i.e. that new Mech) that saved his, the civilians and his superiors arse. In the real world, all three parties would have eventually died in the cross-fire and the show would have ended just like that. Playing the hero in real life usually gets you killed. The only thing going for him was that he was a trained military pilot, but even that doesn't dissuade from the fact that he should have followed orders instead of running off and almost getting his team killed (4 enemy Mechs vs a bunch of foot soldiers, they would have been slaughtered).

That said, glasses girl Jamie was quite cute. I actually appreciate her for knocking the MC down a peg for trying to save her.

Well, we'll see how this goes now won't we.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jul 5, 2014 9:38 PM

Jan 2011
Arandas people using Japanese names, and their map look like Japan too

already have mechas and ipad here, but no planes or anything that flies? how can a "great wall" be effective in an era that has canons and tanks? sending ships to go around the wall is another option...

totally agree that the story is very generic
Jul 5, 2014 10:39 PM

Mar 2008
Relatively low quality production, but I'm very much liking the smell of the setting and characters. If nothing else, the low-tech 'modern' military backdrop is comfortable and realtively unexplored while the grunt designs are beautiful and the ED (or is that the OP?) is catchy.

This could be delightful.
Jul 6, 2014 7:31 AM
Sep 2013
This show strangely feels like the video game Front Mission..especially the mechs
Jul 6, 2014 7:38 AM
Sep 2013
klaymore said:
Arandas people using Japanese names, and their map look like Japan too

already have mechas and ipad here, but no planes or anything that flies? how can a "great wall" be effective in an era that has canons and tanks? sending ships to go around the wall is another option...

totally agree that the story is very generic

Walls could do a lot of things in wars..like elevating the positions of the cannons to increase range or lowering the accuracy rate of your enemies
Jul 6, 2014 7:40 AM

Apr 2013
I like this episode. The mc is not annoying. I hope that they will not add sky mech battle and just focus on land battles.

Jul 6, 2014 12:44 PM

Oct 2007
This show doesn't have the sheer productions values of Aldnoah Zero but I have the feeling it ends up being the series with more heart and the better realization of whatever premise it comes up with in the end somehow. Just a hunch.
Jul 6, 2014 1:17 PM

Jan 2011
Amarrez said:
well that was generic
MC needs power to save the day
MC gets mysterious new power
MC masters power in about 30 seconds
MC saves the day

fixed it for you. Congratulations, you described about 99% of all movies, series, games, books, you name it.

Every slice-of-life/romance anime has the MC see some girls naked without his own doing, the girl(s) will call him hentai and slap him. This hold true even if it would be the girl streaking, running naked onto the field during the final match of the world cup, and the MC was watching it as his TV. Heck, even Nagate in Sidonia fell prey to this trope. Thats far worse than doing nothing wrong while not having any special merits.

Also, compared to most mecha anime, it's easily explained how he could move it at all: "Just envision what you want to do next". Seeing how far advanced that mech seems to be, it might be that you do not have to think "move left foot 2 meters forward", but "i want to punch that guy" or at least "i want to move over there", and it does the rest.

I also think the most generic thing is not the MC, not how he came to pilot a super-mech or the mech design itself, but the generals not only being useless, but out of incompetence actively working against their countries best interest.
Jul 6, 2014 9:46 PM

Mar 2013
Front Mission is that you? those mechs really look like wanzers lol
Jul 7, 2014 2:16 AM

Sep 2008
I know mecha anime are mostly same cliche getting repeated over and over again, but this one, this one took all cliche things and stuffed it in first episode.

It had everything, useless protagonist, disobeying direct order, civilian officer willing to risk her life for her job, smart commander of a small unit, power up after almost dying, enemy suddenly conquering unachievable location, mecha prototype.
You name it, it's there.

I know this sounds like rant...well, it kinda is, sorry about that.
I'll probably last for 2-3 more episodes before dropping this. Seriously doubt anything is gonna improve.

There are many good mecha anime out there. Almost all of them share same cliches. Yet it's the execution that separates them from the rest. Cliches are not the problem, cliches with poor execution are.
Maybe this one will improve, you never know.
Jul 7, 2014 6:56 PM

Feb 2012
I have high hopes for this anime. I see that many people have identified the many clichés in this, which there are indeed many, but I doubt this will be like most mecha anime you find. This military looks like it has a solid chain of command as long as you exclude the flag officers, but to be honest they really were there for an inspection. Those generals appeared not to have any legal authority over the military post, and it really should be the local commander who knows the terrain and his troops to command the battle.

I really hope this anime goes the way of 8th MS Team with the focus being local and small units, but I'm not sure which way this anime will go.
Jul 8, 2014 1:03 AM

Jan 2013
I see there's not much excitement for this anime yet, but hopefully it will start to catch our attention in future episodes.

I found this anime pretty entertaining just hard to understand where everything is going.
Jul 9, 2014 10:58 AM

Nov 2007
yeah that felt really generic.

young guy mc disobeys and finds a overpowered mech.

why was that thing out there? why was the girl with it a bitch and punching him?

It felt it barely established the characters so far.

decent enough, but could get better.
Jul 9, 2014 1:01 PM

Apr 2013
Mediocre but I'll give it a chance. But the righteous guys piss me of so much! The world is not perfect and you are not the one to make him like that. Pff I remembered Suzaku pff now I'm pissed...
A Story will always come to it's end. The thing is, will you move on after it's over?
Jul 9, 2014 7:08 PM

Feb 2013
What a cliche / average mecha start.

I don't like the MC... idiot can't even follow orders. Oh, but he's so special. He gets the shiny new mech that destroys all...

At least the action should be decent.
Jul 10, 2014 1:42 PM

Jul 2008
Very Generic
Jul 11, 2014 6:48 PM

Aug 2013
Felt this first episode was very dull and uninspired.

Another mech anime with CGI, and the mechs are very bland and unoriginal i fell. Ill keep watching for now though.
My Candies:
Jul 12, 2014 4:56 AM

Jun 2012
Not the best first episode ever but it was okay. I'll definitely be watching at least a few more episodes.
N☆ 
Jul 12, 2014 3:54 PM
Jul 2018
I love the Argevollen's design. The KOTOKO song was really nice too. An okay start i guess.
Jul 16, 2014 1:37 AM
Sep 2013
That was a pretty awesome first episode, cliche don't mean shit. Guess I'll see where the rest goes from here.
Jul 16, 2014 4:04 AM
Feb 2013
I was bored to death.
kcuf
Jul 17, 2014 9:38 PM
Mar 2014
This bad show is for kids in Japan to buy music and plastic toys. Teenagers will disobey and that is why they will like it. No camo paint, red colors on units? Bad! Disobeying orders? Bad! Army will shot You in the head for that. Short range combat with cans, shots that hit don't scratch paint on armor? Bad! This show is pissing me off because i know a lot, that's all. If You are teenager , and You are mindless and like plastic toys yea it's for You. I will be watching it to the end to give it a nice bad score. Try manga like apleeseed for cure :)
Jul 18, 2014 1:21 AM

Mar 2013
I thought that Izumi guy is the main protagonist but then that rookie pilot get in the way and had to ruin all my expectations.. Well at least he didn't hesitate to kill an enemy on the spot.

Jul 28, 2014 5:02 PM
Aug 2013
FalKKonE said:
I was bored to death.

+1
I felt like it had some potential, but for me, it was already screwed up at the tenth minute. Look at our "genius" stereotype girl. "I've got a mecha, a mecha pilot and I need to escape. What should I do ? The mecha pilot just saved my life, I'm glad I hit him and I prepare for becoming a Tsundere. Hey ! What if I put the mecha pilot in the mecha !? I'm such a low life copy of Makise Kurisu.". Or maybe I had my hopes way too up. Hope that I'm wrong and in the end it's gonna be good. As every mecha anime should be.
Aug 7, 2014 4:03 PM

Feb 2012
So, should we ship Jamie Hazaford and Susumu Tokimune?
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

I thought the episode was eh, felt kinda fast. I'm not sure what to think of Tokimune yet. Hopefully, he'll get some development throughout the show.

There were a lot of action. I really like the mech design though. Oh and looks like the MC finds himself in an odd situation. I like the theme song so far I guess.
Every whiny pilot needs a punch or slap.
Fortress_MaximusAug 7, 2014 4:10 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 7, 2014 4:13 PM

Feb 2012
So this is set in an alternate world with alternate countries like FMA, far future like Gundam or alternate history like ALDNOAH.ZERO?

The green uniforms give me a Russian/Chinese vibe.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 10, 2014 10:27 AM
Jun 2009
Okay, now that I found enough courage to watch this show again. This is what I think about this episode:

1. Anime tactic...just great. Btw, what with the purple sky...cloud or what the hell are they?
2. You dont complain about being ordered around. And really, watching tv while you are in a middle of a battle, what kind of general are you?
3. This is no medieval age when the generals has to lead army in the front for stupid reason like...morale. The Mongol shoved this fact pretty hard in Europe's butt. The fact that the top brass retreat from the front is extremely reasonable and logic. The show want us to hate them because of this...what the hell?
4. Main char keeps yelling his name like an idiot. He also loves to whine and complain, great way to introduce main character.
5. Main char said that he's a real soldier. Yet he acted like a spoiled brat.
6. No one test weapons in war zone. When they are brought to the front, they are no long prototype.
7. You simply dont bring a prototype around without at least a test pilot.
8. Tokinume was right next to Jamie yet her punch sent Tokimune away for at least 1 meter. Just how strong is Jamie?
9. Great, this mech has max agility, max speed, max strength, max defend...how convenient, at least you dont need spare parts to repair it. Talking about spare parts, where the hell are they?
10. Of all things, as a trained pilot, you think about flying jump kick as your attack. Just what did they teach you in the pilot academy?
11. So a kick to the head will make a whole mech explode? This surpassed Hollywood cliché.
12. Everyone rush in, armed with rifle, against enemy mechs, no less. Just how stupid can they be?
13. Someone please remind Tokimune that he is a soldier. Soldier do what his superior ordered him to.
14. For anyone who think this anime is familiar to team 08th ms, you must be insane.
15. Terrible budget show detected. The explosions and the animation are both bad...I havent seen such faked explosion for years.

Before any of you open your sorry mouth saying that this is just anime, there are fictional works (include manga and anime) that reflect the army life, tell the tale of war way better than this shit.
soluuloiAug 10, 2014 10:49 AM
Sep 8, 2014 9:18 AM

Jun 2011
That was so bad.. More so with annoying characters like Tokimune (guy has anger issue for some reason) and Jamie.
ToG25thBaamSep 8, 2014 9:23 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 28, 2014 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

Except for the graphics, I mean the designs of contexts, designs a bit poor and the animal characters, the rest of row well, even if the protagonist has his usual luck "immediate"! XD
Plot that sees the protagonist is not praised and perfect, Yay!
Atmosphere military rude and ill suited to heroism, from a certain pathos as well as the mecha used, which are also quite a lot of noise, this is a mecha series quite serious.
I look forward to the next episodes to evaluate it better, as usual.
For now, my vote is 6/10!
Nov 23, 2014 10:49 AM
May 2013
If Jamie's punch turns into a slap, Tokimune turns into a civilian with passion for mecha and steals Argevollen , I would be like : "Gundam 0079 is that you ?" .
Apr 10, 2016 7:55 PM

Aug 2013
The ED song is to my liking.
The overused theme aside, it's not that unbearable for me.
Maybe it's just cause I don't watch much mecha anime in the first place.
I don't know about the suddenly mastering to pilot that thing, but he totally screwed up imo.
The typical mc is a bit ermm.. never did I expect that punch though hahaha good one.
Whether or not it's good or bad will depend on how the story goes.
Oct 1, 2016 2:50 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
the first part of the episode was a very typical, but in the moment appear argevollen, all change, for best!!! ..... 7/10 to begining, now have to watch the evolution of the series...
Jan 3, 2017 1:18 AM

Nov 2013
Quite good first episode. I really like the mech design.

And I like, how Tokimune quickly disposed of the enemy, instead of going on and on about not wanting to kill or something like that.

I wonder, why these guys were driving around in the middle of nowhere.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Mar 8, 2017 5:38 PM

Jun 2013
Well it was generic, but I enjoyed it for what it was.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

72 by oooo3333 »»
Dec 6, 2020 12:07 AM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2014

31 by oooo3333 »»
Nov 25, 2020 1:21 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

74 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 16, 2017 7:10 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

76 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 11, 2017 7:26 AM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

91 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 10, 2017 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.