Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 26, 2014 8:13 PM

Mar 2008
So glad Ari lived. It would have been too sad to see her go. Ayana Taketatsu should always play imouto's, she's good at it. That scene in the hospital room, man.
Feb 26, 2014 9:43 PM

Jun 2012
Wow, so many people died in this episode, I was kinda overwhelmed. I thought they would at least space it out a bit.

For some reason, this battle reminded me of WW2. The enemy soldiers look a lot like German soldiers, they even used Mp-40s and the same airplanes. I thought this was some fictional made-up universe, not Nazi Germany. lol
Feb 27, 2014 12:31 AM

Apr 2012
Great episode, but is it just me, or did it feel rather short?
Feb 27, 2014 2:27 PM

Sep 2007
This was far more graphic than I expected. I also didn't expect the culling of the cast either.

Feb 27, 2014 3:23 PM

Mar 2012
Another good episode. Though the deaths were pretty predictable, I think the execution was quite well done. I for one felt touched at that scene where Karl thought Ariel had died. Just 4 more episodes to go. Who does Karl actually like though?
Feb 27, 2014 7:13 PM

May 2013
Um, what is this? They're using little rifles against planes that have more than enough firepower to blow them away over and over, and at the same time our group of characters are all SITTING STILL, firing at the enemy planes with ONLY RIFLES, and yet they aren't ALL getting absolutely crushed? Not a single one of the enemy planes should have been destroyed by their little rifles. Also, those three planes that were trying to take out the main two characters for most of the episode are, by far, the worst pilots ever.

This episode was a complete joke. Not even getting a single point from me. 0/5.
It would have been better if literally everyone had been slaughtered and the show had ended here.
Insert philosophical quote or exceptional picture here.
Feb 27, 2014 10:06 PM

Sep 2007
Loool shooting down planes with rinky dinky rifles in an open cockpit two seater plane while stationary? Dafuq? Ari getting the shot on the silver fox just like that? Loooool. Good grief the dog fighting in this is fucking god awful, if you can even call it dog fighting. And god damn the enemy pilots suffer from a ridiculous amount of storm trooper syndrome.

And now the plot seems fit to start rushing everything?

Also, Sharon is a badass.
WasabiFeb 27, 2014 10:17 PM
Feb 28, 2014 9:17 AM

Apr 2013
Wow, most of the side characters are dead. It looks like there is a connection to the Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku story. Lmao Onii-chan xD
Feb 28, 2014 11:56 AM

Oct 2013
Okay,now i have to watch the other toaru hikuushis.
WHELP,time to add to planning to watch!
Feb 28, 2014 2:30 PM

Apr 2012
woah just watched Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku. DAT plane be the Santa Cruz!!!!!!!!! holy shit lol Also High Consul Fana Levamme WUTTTTTTTTTTTTT. Dat pilot must be mother fuking CHARLESSSSSS. Same timeline omgggg O___O Would be cool if both characters make an appearance in the show.
zzzeallyFeb 28, 2014 2:40 PM

Feb 28, 2014 5:04 PM

Dec 2011
Wow. A lot of people died. Damn wars... bringing a tear to my eye. Sob.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2014 6:19 PM

Apr 2010
Wow. The actors on Game of Thrones have better job security.

Oh and yes, the enemy is more advanced than they are. Using those huge bombers and single-seat fighters with a closed cockpit. Their planes kind of reminded me of the German Bf-109 family. Shredding high rate of fire.
And then the OP seagull plane flies in. I have a hankering to play War Thunder again.

Mar 1, 2014 11:05 AM
Dec 2013
I don't know what to say, i don't know anymore. IM SURE AS HELL I DID NOT EXPECT EVERYONE TO DIE, i thought this anime is like a bit of war and all but not this bloody deaths, how Wolf died and how Fausto died gave me fucking goosebumps, i almost fucking died watching, i don't know where this anime is heading but im gonna stay because the romance of Claire and Kal-el is just godlike <3333
Mar 1, 2014 5:27 PM

Feb 2013
Wowee, they're dropping like flies! What a great idea! Let's all just hover in a circle while they shoot us down!

Nice episode in terms of action.

All those deaths... and I feel nothing... I don't know if it's the director, storyboard, or what... but they blew it... where this could have been a great drama...
BurntJellyMar 1, 2014 5:30 PM
Mar 2, 2014 5:14 AM

Oct 2013
All dem deaths this week. .__________.
Well, I liked all the episodes of Hikuushi till now but the last 2 episodes were the best. It's getting a bit sad though.
Nice to see Fana mentioned in this episode. Hopefully we see Charles too!
Mar 3, 2014 4:00 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Over the course is that the graphics quality and technique to leave a bad taste in your mouth during the fight.
The narrative is not absurd, in fact they all move on to a better life, maybe the script is a tad lower than the previous episode.
If they cared more about these three aspects, the episode was fabulously spectacular!
Ignacio proves to be a character not anonymous! WOW!
As mentioned earlier drawings and animations insufficient, a real shame.
Mar 3, 2014 8:03 AM

Jul 2010
Everybody died but Kal and his imouto were so lucky. Wolf, Mitty,Fausto ;.;
I loved when Ari said ''Onii-chan'' .
Mar 3, 2014 9:59 PM

Feb 2012
I find it hilarious how they are calling them barbarians and they are fighting with shitty bolt action rifles against the enemies machine guns lol.
Mar 3, 2014 10:53 PM

Dec 2009
LiquidGold said:
I find it hilarious how they are calling them barbarians and they are fighting with shitty bolt action rifles against the enemies machine guns lol.

Sun Tzu once said, "It’s important to properly assess your opponent without prejudice or assumption."

As the saying goes, never underestimate your enemy.
Mar 6, 2014 12:49 PM

Dec 2010
The point I got was the death & tragedy of war. Ok, they did that well.

What I cringed at all episode is the PLOT ARMOUR surrounding the fight. For those Sky Clan "Bf-109s" with their 20mm cannons would have TORN Kalel & the rest of the rookies a new one within 20 seconds of engaging. The peashooter bolt-action rifles firing 7.7mm (and including Wolf's LMG) would have barely scratched the paint off the Sky Clans' 'Messerschmitts', yet many planes are easily downed by 1-2 shots on the wings. Are the Sky Clan making their planes out of cardboard?

The "defensive ring" was silly; anyone who played Warthunder & Birds of Steel would know stationary targets are probably the EASIEST kills. What they heck were they teaching the trainees?

Then Ari takes a 20mm cannon in her arm, and LIVES to tell the tale. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad she lived. Problem is, a 20mm classified as a LIGHT CANNON round; it is almost 7.3mm LARGER than a .50 caliber (12.7mm), which has enough killing power to go through Tank armour. A 20mm round against a person would have blown anyone's arm clean off, instant death wouldn't be too far from the fact.

Other than the face-palming combat scenes, I do commend the emotions of the characters of seeing their close friends dying left & right.
Mar 7, 2014 12:05 AM

Sep 2012
I thought it was interesting that, after having passed through a slaughter and somehow lived (barely, though), it seemed like Kal decided to take on some responsibility in being called "big brother". I think it was more than just Ari chiding him for acting the way he did during the battle (after she got hurt). In way, sitting in bed recuperating, with that little act she gently pushed him one step toward maturation, to be able to deal with what's likely to happen to everyone around them. By acquiescing to being called big brother, he quietly acknowledged that he now perhaps has to shoulder some responsibilities he never had to before.
PleiadesRisingMar 7, 2014 12:11 AM
Mar 11, 2014 7:36 PM

Jun 2012
well that escalated quite quickly. Everything feels pretty rushed, but I'm not surprised since it's a lot to fit into so few episodes.

well besides all the "randies" that died, it seems the recruits took only a small loss (of two). Somehow Ari was bleeding out but made it out "okay" (and by okay, I mean really well pretty quickly).

and speaking in terms of the dogfights and the battle on the ground, I'm pretty glad I don't know much about them, b/c this is anime so the fights seemed a little. . absurd.

Mar 14, 2014 7:43 PM

Jun 2011
That was so bad.. just so bad.. the deaths, foes' unlimited ammo, 5years old dialogue, bad voice acting, and what's left? Oh, plot armor for no one but the main characters. I am not against a series killing off it's character, but do it in a good way instead of this shit.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Mar 16, 2014 3:59 PM

Jan 2011
What did they hope to achieve with that "defensive" circle? The enemy was mostly attacking form above, so wrong direction. And they lost both advantages they had: Six degress of freedom while staying nearly on spot, and being able to shoot at nearly every angle.

Instead they staid at one place, giving up their flexibility in moving, and allowing the enemy to attack from directly above, where they have the least protection.

With the enemy being fixed-wing and fixed-gun, they had to fly huge curves and could only fire straight ahead - easy to avoid with such a dynamic aircraft, compared over traditional dog-fights.

A wonder it took those foxed so long to take them down. Realistically, it would have taken only one run per plane.
Mar 17, 2014 2:17 PM

Aug 2013
It look like the anime team had fun killing off character :P

Damn, Wolf, Marco, Fausto, Mitsuo and maybe other, they didn't go easy on this one.

For a moment there, I thought Ariel wouldn't wake up, but I guess it isn't that dramatic as an anime.

They got totally owned by that other float, but that blue aircraft pilot was pretty OP. Taking down by himself 7 aircrafts, I really wonder who he is.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Mar 23, 2014 11:09 AM

Jun 2011
Whoa, what a mindfuck episode :O Pretty much majority of the characters we've been introduced to over the past 7 episodes died o_O
This is getting so good xD
Apr 5, 2014 8:06 AM

May 2012
Damn that really escalated quickly :| didn't thought so many would die all at once :/ but well for one it's nice that they take the chances in actually killing of characters but still it's sad as some where great like Wolfgang :/

At least Ari is still alive or we would get a total shit development with him being totally emotionally unstable and all... well either way let's see what's next!
May 14, 2014 11:34 PM

Apr 2012
lol bloody hell that's about half the characters gone in just on ep
May 22, 2014 11:30 AM

Dec 2011
Very well done linking Tsuioku and Koiuta...!!
Its exciting for all of us who saw/read the side stories
Aug 17, 2014 8:14 PM

Jun 2009
FAUSTO! WOLFGANG! LIL'BRO MARCO!! T^T

I was so scared for Sharon and Benjamin too.

I wonder who was in the Seagull?
Dec 23, 2014 11:29 PM

Aug 2013
Wow people die in this
Jan 2, 2015 9:25 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Half the cast is gone.

NOT WOLF!!!! He was my favorite character from the show.

Fausto working together with Kal. The two put their differences aside and had a bit of more respect for each other. The way he died was brutal.

Isla was sure left in defeat.

Mar 21, 2019 8:13 PM

Mar 2016
The combat in this anime is so unique and satisfying to watch (I'm no expert but they're obviously taking some extreme liberties). We get to see the results of all that training, and the planes, which have always been interestingly setup with pilot and riflemen, now seem to have some real practical use, even if they are technologically inferior. Knowing this is only 13 episodes, I think the pacing and structure have been pretty spot on.

I think they built this up enough that even if the deaths are obviously plot convenient, which they are, it doesn't feel forced. It would have no impact if we had fighting from the beginning, and since we've had time to spend with the characters there is definitely some tension here. The scene in the hospital room was very sweet and it seems to have put Karl on more solid footing, and perhaps move towards a new direction.

I'm enjoying this. (Realizing only know that I probably fucked up by not watching the related movie first, especially since it came out before this. Oops)
syncrogazerMar 21, 2019 8:28 PM
Jun 14, 2019 7:31 PM

Mar 2019
Another great episode, the aerial combat scenes are so great to watch. Glad his sister was ok in the end, was hard enough losing Mitty and Wolfgang in two episodes.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Amarrez - Mar 31, 2014

191 by Alkimia »»
Feb 23, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2014

111 by Alkimia »»
Feb 23, 10:38 AM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2014

81 by Alkimia »»
Feb 22, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2014

189 by Alkimia »»
Feb 22, 2:03 PM

» Is it one big love triangle?

Gamewolf - Mar 23, 2014

12 by ZGUEGCHOV »»
Feb 25, 2022 1:23 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.