Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 1, 2012 8:43 AM

Oct 2008
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona is a series that I've always looked at the cover and said, "This looks cool.", put it down, and then would proceed to browse for something more along the lines of Final Fantasy or Lost Odyssey. After seeing the release of the recent anime adaptation, and the announcement of a fighting game, I want to hop on this bandwagon.

I have the cash to dish out. I just need to know what games do I buy if I liked the artwork from the anime and want to enjoy the anime and fighting game to the fullest. (Like how I would if there were a competitive Clannad fighting game. lol) Mind you I haven't seen any of the shows nor read any spoilers. I'm fresh virgin material here.

So bottom line: "Where do I start?"

Thanks,
Shirt

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Mar 2, 2012 4:56 PM

May 2011
I've only played Persona 3 and Persona 4, but it's commonly said that these are the two more notable games of the series so that's why I started with them.

I actually played both of them on an emulator so that I could play their undub versions, which are fan-made versions of the NA/NTSC release but with the original Japanese audio instead of dubs. The original seiyuus are really great, and with the P4 anime starring the same cast as the game, I felt it was the only way to go. Unfortunately, since undubs are technically illegal, you can't buy them - only download them as an ISO. It also takes a fairly decent computer to run a PS2 emulator, but there are a lot of benefits as well, such as improved graphics and save states.

Overall though, I'd start out with Persona 3 FES mainly because it's a much less forgiving game than P4. The battle system is more difficult and it's harder max out your stats and Social Links. Some people who played P4 first weren't able to pick up P3 afterwards because they became too used to how P4 does things and get too frustrated with P3.
Mar 2, 2012 8:45 PM

Oct 2008
Is obtaining a PS2 emulator and the ISOs for these games free? I completely forgot about the whole seiyuu thing. I thought the game was in japanese with english subtitling. Where can I get these three things. I would at least like to try and see if my computer is able to handle it.

Mar 2, 2012 9:14 PM
Nov 2010
Shirt said:
Is obtaining a PS2 emulator and the ISOs for these games free? I completely forgot about the whole seiyuu thing. I thought the game was in japanese with english subtitling. Where can I get these three things. I would at least like to try and see if my computer is able to handle it.

I got mine at "isohunt"(P4 i mean) . I downloaded this one http://puu.sh/jelz . You can get PS2 emulator(a.k.a PCSX2) for free if you have proper specs.
croosboyMar 2, 2012 9:19 PM
Mar 3, 2012 12:06 PM
Nov 2010
Shirt said:
Is obtaining a PS2 emulator and the ISOs for these games free?

Yes, it's free but also illegal, similar to pirating music.
Mar 7, 2012 5:29 PM

Oct 2008
I think I'll be okay with some looting on the net if it's once n' a blue moon. It's shunned upon, yes, but it's the only way for me to get around those backstabbing third party middle man sellers these days. (This is only pertaining to the PS2/Persona thing. Not generally speaking of course) *doesn't want to get flamed*

Croosboy said:
Shirt said:

I got mine at "isohunt"(P4 i mean) . I downloaded this one http://puu.sh/jelz . You can get PS2 emulator(a.k.a PCSX2) for free if you have proper specs.

What are the proper specs you mention? Also, I downloaded that same file you made a photo of. And also the P3 FES English one.

p.s. Thank you all for your help so far.

Mar 8, 2012 2:07 AM
Nov 2010
Shirt said:
I think I'll be okay with some looting on the net if it's once n' a blue moon. It's shunned upon, yes, but it's the only way for me to get around those backstabbing third party middle man sellers these days. (This is only pertaining to the PS2/Persona thing. Not generally speaking of course) *doesn't want to get flamed*

Croosboy said:
Shirt said:

What are the proper specs you mention? Also, I downloaded that same file you made a photo of. And also the P3 FES English one.

p.s. Thank you all for your help so far.

≪≪ SysInfo: Os: Windows 7 #7600 [64-bit] :: Uptime: 30d 23h 1m 28s :: Ram Used: 2.43 GB/3.99 GB [60%] :: Disk Free: 122.68 GB/1380.07 GB :: Video: NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700 @ 1680x1050 :: CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz [2400 MHz][4 cores] ::≪≪ - MAL Updater 2

I still find it laggy 3 years ago but Im not sure now.
Mar 8, 2012 8:40 PM

Oct 2008
My specs are very close to this. I'm pretty sure my Slimline HP Pavilion Desktop computer with 3.00Ghz Processing power and 3GB RAM (2.75 Usable) with over 20GB HDD space should do it.

I haven't downloaded the actual "PS2 Emulator" yet though. Workin' on it.

Mar 13, 2012 4:10 PM
Mar 2012
verdantly said:
I actually played both of them on an emulator so that I could play their undub versions, which are fan-made versions of the NA/NTSC release but with the original Japanese audio instead of dubs. The original seiyuus are really great, and with the P4 anime starring the same cast as the game, I felt it was the only way to go.

I think the Persona games dubs are among the best in the industry.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Post Your Desktop! ( 1 2 )

tkoo - Jan 31, 2012

61 by efza »»
Apr 20, 2015 11:04 AM

» Chuuunibyou Shipping

cybersteel - Oct 20, 2012

0 by cybersteel »»
Oct 20, 2012 1:14 PM

» Current Random C

Cooperation-san - Aug 26, 2012

4 by cybersteel »»
Oct 20, 2012 1:12 PM

» If you found out that the site is down, what are you going to do?

croosboy - Sep 21, 2012

1 by Rreizero »»
Sep 23, 2012 3:34 AM

» Collection Showcase

TheBishop - Jul 27, 2012

0 by TheBishop »»
Jul 27, 2012 10:03 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.