Forum Settings
Forums
New
NANA manga or anime?
Sep 10, 2009 12:52 PM

Aug 2008
Yeah, so like the title says, did you prefer the anime or the manga? And why?

I love love love the manga, but I've heard pretty good things about the anime, and the songs from the anime that I've heard (Kuroi Namida, A Little Pain, and Rose) are pretty amazing. So I'll most likely be starting the anime next vacation I get, but until then, feel free to post any comments/criticism you have on either the anime or the manga for NANA. ^_^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Sep 10, 2009 1:41 PM

Jun 2008
I obviously adore both, it's way too hard to choose.

The manga is surely one of my most favorite ever, and is Ai Yazawa's maximum art expression. I didn't like her works, until Nana. The development of the characters and their relations, the drama, the comedy, the emotions that ooze from the manga, everything is great.

The anime must be watched especially because of the amazing soundtrack, but is overall a very good and faithful adaptation of the manga, which is a pretty rare thing nowadays. This is the reason why my vote gets to the anime: you can actually hear the music, which is a fundamental aspect of Nana. The OP/ED themes alone made my eyes teary, add all the emotions of Nana, and you'll get a cascade of tears, lol.

watching, waiting, commiserating
Sep 10, 2009 2:14 PM

Jul 2009
Yep I think that it's a reaaaally difficult decision... it's like trying to choose between ice cream and ice cold water on a hot day...ahhh well something like that ne~

Still, if I have to choose, I'd say the manga really hooks me... besides capturing the nuances of expressions on each characters (kudos to Ai Yazawa-san for that), the plot of NANA really holds up, despite reviews of being being overly dramatic... life can be rather dramatic after all!

I think that people can relate to the emotions brought about by such 'dramatic' parts... it alludes to many other 'everyday' events that we face. It's the themes that are covered in NANA that touch our hearts, make us cry... and laugh with the characters as they live... I was simply moved by the friendship, camaraderie, love, passion for things one believe in etc. It is an encouraging manga, I'd say, even the times when I got angry at certain people for certain actions... I would think that having such emotions towards them prove that they are very much 'alive' in that sense. Successful characterization, yes?

As for the anime, I can't remember how many times I've actually re-watched it... esp some episodes. I was overjoyed when I first watched the anime... I mean, finally I get to HEAR my favorite characters!! ^_^ The awesome soundtrack scored bonus points...and I'm really glad that watching the anime was kind of watching the manga come to life (in colors too)...so I truly appreciate the time and effort put into making the anime, and the songs...wow. I was really blown away by the OP/EP... love love love Kuroi Namida and A Little Pain! Cried like mad during the anime too...-sigh-

Sooooo... to conclude, the manga won the anime by... a bit. Heh. I do wish that as the manga continues, the anime will have more seasons... that's just a tiny wish of mine!

PS: Anyway this has been the first longest post I ever have! Still a new member here at MAL (:
Sep 10, 2009 2:21 PM

Dec 2008
I voted for anime, it was really hard to choose though. I just love both of them, manga is adorable for sure, and I never thought that I can cry while reading a manga. But It's almost impossible not to feel the way it supposed make you feel you know. Art is also great, no wonder. Side stories about characters are another amazing thing to mention.

But if you ask me why I vote for anime after all, the answer is 'music'. Because music has an important part in this series. All of them, makes anime even greater. I'm just thinking about Trapnest live, which Nana and Hachi went together. Without music, I don't think I'd like it 'that' much. This is just a simple example. And yes, music is a very important factor for me.

Oh and Rena, you said "it alone made my eyes teary" about OP/ED themes. I just have to agree with this one. But especially, I need to mention 'Kuroi Namida'. It still makes me cry dammit. >.<
Sep 10, 2009 3:54 PM

Aug 2008
@sunako: Really? I thought Olivia's voice was pretty awesome. But that depends on my mood. If I'm not in the mood for it, her voice would probably come across as annoying.

@Rena: Ah, yes, I loved those aspects of the manga as well. The character developments were so real and well thought out. And I can see your point, music does play a HUGE part in the series. The first song I heard from the anime was Kuroi Namida and my first thought about it was, "That fits Nana perfectly. O_O"

@shin: Thanks so much for the long post. It really does help with my decision to watch NANA. And I'm pretty positive I'll like the anime, but will still prefer the manga, since it's always manga over anime with me. ^^

@Ozey: Haha, so many people loved the music to NANA. I have yet to meet a fan who doesn't. All right, then, I'll be starting the anime next chance I get. ^o^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2009 4:22 PM

Jun 2008
Tsuki-no-Hikari said:
@sunako: Really? I thought Olivia's voice was pretty awesome. But that depends on my mood. If I'm not in the mood for it, her voice would probably come across as annoying.
Nope, Sunako-chan was referring to Aya Hirano's voice (in fact she mentioned Konata and Haruhi), which is in fact Reira's voice actor, and tends to be annoying (just like the characters she voices... *cough*Misa*cough*).
Olivia Lufkin only does the singing voice, and we can hear it in the Nana anime where she sings Starless Night, Wish, A Little Pain, and Recorded Butterflies. She never voiced any anime character (in terms of talking).

Awesome post btw, shin_hye.
RenaPsychoKillerSep 10, 2009 4:25 PM

Sep 10, 2009 5:57 PM

Aug 2008
Oh, I see. I didn't realize the characters were voiced by different actors from the ones that do the singing. And I'm also horrible with sieyuus, which is why I didn't get the real connection between Haruhi, Reira, and Konata. >_>
Sep 10, 2009 6:03 PM

Jun 2008
Tsuki-no-Hikari said:
Oh, I see. I didn't realize the characters were voiced by different actors from the ones that do the singing.
That's because you haven't watched the anime yet, I guess. :-P

Sep 10, 2009 6:53 PM
Jul 2009
===> I watched the anime first and read manga second. I'm actually a manga person so I voted manga. For my reasons, is that 1) I understand the story more, with details and all 2) I remeber their names (btw I have problems remember names, I only remember how to spell them out) 3) I get more involve into the story telling and 4) I can remeber more of what's going on too, even if multi problems were going all at once.

===> Why I liked it? Well the anime isn't bad, and in these music/showbiz type, I prefer watching the anime. But like I mention earlier I'm more of a manga reader, so in the NANA serie I was excited to see what was going to happen next and I just read the manga and it can give you the most unexpected feeling.
If I'm no longer replying back, means my life is busy. As simple as that. Will get back as life settle down.
Sep 11, 2009 1:29 PM

Jul 2009
@ Tsuki : You'll love the soundtrack :D

@ Rena : arigatou! :D

@ sunako : Yep, I think that her voice is more suitable too (Olivia, I mean)
Sep 11, 2009 2:41 PM

Jul 2007
I voted for the manga because there is so much more to the story from where the anime ended. The anime was epic and I loved the fact that you got to hear the music, which is why I'd love for a second season of NANA.

Dang you Ai Yazawa for getting sick!
Sep 11, 2009 2:47 PM

Sep 2008
Ahh, I can't decide! They're both amazing. In the manga there's a continuation, but in the anime there's music and stuff :D
I'm going to refrain from voting. Can't choose.
Sep 11, 2009 3:28 PM

Apr 2008
I haven't read the manga yet so I can't really judge since I've only watched the anime. :( I'll vote as soon as I've read the manga! :)
Sep 11, 2009 3:35 PM

Jul 2009
i love both,but maybe the anime...
because that more fun-with nana's movesxD
and naturally the soundtracks^^
Sep 11, 2009 4:51 PM

Aug 2009
Manga, of course! xP
Sep 11, 2009 5:29 PM

May 2009
I voted for manga...because it's not so important to me to hear their voices and music and in the manga the art is better and the story is still not over so I'm looking forward to a great ending.
The anime ending seemd rushed.
So, yeah...there aren't many reasons why I chose manga rather than the anime...actually, the anime closely follows the manga and the soundtrack is really really good...it was hard to choose..but I like mangas better in general:)
Sep 11, 2009 5:44 PM

Oct 2008
i would prefer both lol
Sep 11, 2009 6:26 PM

Aug 2008
I would have added a "both" option to the poll, but that would have defeated the purpose. XD And how rare, for people to be torn between the anime adaption of an original manga. It's almost always manga over anime for people who've seen both. o_o
Sep 11, 2009 6:46 PM

Jun 2008
Tsuki-no-Hikari said:
I would have added a "both" option to the poll, but that would have defeated the purpose. XD And how rare, for people to be torn between the anime adaption of an original manga. It's almost always manga over anime for people who've seen both. o_o
Exactly. "Both" or "I can't choose" options are against polls' purpose. :-P

That's right. Usually, manga > anime. But Nana is just too amazing in any adaptation, so yeah.

Sep 11, 2009 9:37 PM

Jun 2009
anime, manga translate on russian very slow =(
Sep 12, 2009 12:12 AM

Dec 2007
I love both versions. I prefer the anime for the music and because it's nice to see the chars animated, but I find the manga better.

Sep 12, 2009 12:48 AM

Mar 2008
Manga even though the anime is great too!
Sep 12, 2009 1:32 PM

Mar 2008
the animoo

cause i never read the manga..although i should

Sep 12, 2009 4:20 PM

Mar 2009
I watched the anime and I'm reading the manga but I voted anime cos I feel the sensations.Charahcters speak,smile,laugh and sing and I can hear and I see.I read the manga but its hard to me I can understand but I like the anime ^^

I listen the music of anime when I read the manga cos I wanna feel the anime.But I cray all time when I read the manga so I can feel the anime or manga...
Sep 12, 2009 4:23 PM

Jun 2008
squaw said:
I listen the music of anime when I read the manga cos I wanna feel the anime.
Reading the Nana manga while listening to the Nana soundtrack. I do that too, it's the best.

Sep 12, 2009 6:31 PM

Oct 2008
RenaPsychoKiller said:
squaw said:
Reading the Nana manga while listening to the Nana soundtrack. I do that too, it's the best.

me 2 me 2 :D :D it's great feeling :))

Sep 13, 2009 2:20 PM

Mar 2009
Vampire-Alice said:
RenaPsychoKiller said:
squaw said:

Hai hai ^^

I will listen Kuroui Namida and Recorded Butterflies -Live Version- , I love both ^^
Sep 13, 2009 2:35 PM

Jul 2009
squaw said:
Vampire-Alice said:
RenaPsychoKiller said:
squaw said:

Hai hai ^^

I will listen Kuroui Namida and Recorded Butterflies -Live Version- , I love both ^^

Kuroi Namida is fantastic... and yea I think listening to the music while reading the manga would be great... I shall try it too, heh heh! Thanks for the idea, somehow it didn't occur to me -_-
Sep 13, 2009 5:38 PM

Jul 2009
I prefer the anime, mainly because of the songs~I probably shouldn't even be voting, since I haven't even read much of the manga yet...however, the manga version that I read was pretty hilarious! To be truthful, I really had a hard time deciding which one to vote for. Once again, though, music makes the world go 'round!!! WOOO!!! Therefore, I picked the anime.

-ninja cupcake
Sep 14, 2009 3:11 AM

Feb 2008
I have yet to read the manga but I fell in love with the anime.I bet the manga's even better though. =)
Sep 15, 2009 6:30 AM

Apr 2009
both are pretty darn good!
But I still prefer manga though. After reading the 1st volume it got me hooked already XXD I have to admit I think the manga was drew way better than the anime~
They look cool whichever but they look cooler in the manga xD (and also, I prefer the ParaKiss manga than the anime! Yazawa sure knows her thing! Yazawa-sama!)
but the NANA soundtracks are just to die for!

either way NANA,ftw! ^.^
Sep 17, 2009 10:34 AM

Jun 2008
I prefer the manga, though I didn't watch many episodes of the anime.

I just enjoy more its drawing than in the anime.
As enixela said, they look cooler in the manga ^^
The good parts in the anime are the songs which are great. But although NANA is related to music I prefer the manga.
Sep 19, 2009 5:44 PM

Mar 2009
I read chapter 50 ,today... I decided I prefer the manga anymore ^__^
Oct 6, 2009 2:06 PM

Oct 2009
manga rulez !?!
Nov 5, 2009 11:53 PM

Jun 2009
I havent finished with manga of anime as of yet. But I must say that they are both amazing. But I am a bit of a music freak so the fact that I can hear the songs is a big bonus for me with the anime. So I have to say anime. But I love the manga too.

---I'm not going there to die...I'm going there to find out if I'm really alive-Spike, Cowboy Bebop---
May 18, 2010 5:43 PM

Apr 2009
For me, the anime wins by a very, very small margin. There's just something about HEARING Osaki Nana sing that will never come across adequately in b&w on a piece of paper.. although I do follow the manga simply b/c there' SO much story left after the anime, that I had to know what happened.

Aug 15, 2010 2:27 PM

Jul 2009
Well... I don't know... I like manga a lot, but I love anime so much. Is hard to decide, but eventually I chose the anime because in manga you can't find the soundtrack and the character voices, which sometimes they are so cute.
Aug 19, 2010 7:03 AM
Aug 2009
where is that "both" option? XD
If I realy have to choose, anime, cause you dont need to turn pages XD
Jan 7, 2012 7:58 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
I think anime, there's so much more emotion in it. All the music, the expression and the voices ESPECIALLY the music makes it so much sadder. Manga is further on with the story but still, nothing beats the anime, it's just so sad that it ended like this, I felt depressed for a whole week and everytime I hear some music from nana it makes me sad.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Hunt: Showdown 1896 again when you read this

Jan 26, 2012 6:11 AM

Jun 2008
Wow, the votes are almost 50/50 right now.

Feb 20, 2012 8:31 PM

Dec 2011
Anime! If only for the soundtracks. Also the movies. :c)

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» News about Yazawa

Watayarata - Jan 29, 2013

1 by Mindfulcorvus »»
Feb 9, 2013 1:17 AM

» Favorite quote from NANA

sasukeuzumaki - Apr 19, 2012

3 by -BlackRabbit- »»
Jul 4, 2012 8:39 AM

Poll: » Favorite Nana female character.

RenaPsychoKiller - Oct 22, 2009

47 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Jan 26, 2012 6:59 AM

» Nana Picture Thread

Dija - Sep 12, 2009

14 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Jan 26, 2012 6:49 AM

Poll: » Nana: black hair or blonde hair?

RenaPsychoKiller - Sep 11, 2009

43 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
Jan 26, 2012 6:31 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.