Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 29, 2014 6:14 AM

Jan 2013
I think that guy is just an average main character . He has nothing interesting IMO , only his connection with hina . i think dio is more interesting as a charcter . his design is alright imho . i hope he develops through series more . his childhood etc .
Jan 30, 2014 8:30 AM
Jan 2014
Hes a very interesting character
Feb 3, 2014 9:32 PM

May 2012
He's ok and he serves the story well. That's what really matters.
Feb 3, 2014 10:32 PM

Feb 2013
He's interesting, but it annoys me how much he wants to connect with Hina, putting in danger Dio and persons around him.

Feb 4, 2014 12:23 AM
Feb 2010
He is not a "traditional" mecha protagonist. Aoba isn't as "hot blooded" as Simon and Kamina from "Gurren Lagann" or the more current Nobunaga Oda from "Nobunaga The Fool", nor does he have any apparent hang-ups about fighting in a war either for having to kill or because he can't fully comprehend it ala Shinj Ikari of Evangelion or A LOT of Gundam protagonists.

Episode 4 was good for Aoba IMO. It says something when he feels like a stranger in his hometown when physically the part he lived in hadn't changed that much. His "hometown" did not FEEL like the "home" he left in episode 1.

Aoba does have a hang-up in the form of Hina. She was the one who told him he was going to the future and that "Dio was waiting". To him Hina holds answers as to why he was sent to the future. The Hina he meets however does not know him so that makes him more confused when they meet.
Feb 4, 2014 12:25 AM

Dec 2012
sentience said:
Feb 4, 2014 3:55 AM

Apr 2011
The things I like about him is he isn't whiny, he's not emo, and not hot blooded.

He's also not annoying. Has a good learning curve. I think he has talent for piloting
a mecha much like his skills in basketball thanks to the coupling system. I don't know why I'm comparing piloting mechs to playing basketball thought. lol

He makes a nice couple for Hina. Or with Dio. XD

I think he's pretty cool.

I sure hope he becomes a better protag later in the series.
And I sure don't want him to end up like Haruto.
MagitoFeb 4, 2014 5:18 AM
Feb 4, 2014 5:00 AM
Jul 2018
He seems.......
Feb 4, 2014 5:10 AM

Sep 2011
sentience said:

hes so far been a bit relieving as hes pretty much skipped past a ton of really annoying cliches usually associated with characters like him, hes not whiney, he isnt scared to do anything, seems to have some actual independence

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 4, 2014 6:11 PM
Jan 2014
When comes to It hes a selfless caring trustworthy person even future hina has said it. Aoba isnt the type to whine he just accepts it he doesnt hold grudges and he would always put himself in danger to protect people. I cant compare him to haruto hes not that type of character. How he is acting with the hina situation id be sure as hell be confused if someone brought me to the future then forgot about me id be confused to. When he fought hina in episode 3 and when he panicked he tried to save her he didnt view her as a enemy
Feb 4, 2014 6:41 PM

Feb 2014
I am okay with him for the most part. Except for the parts where Hina is on screen and he can't get how time travel works... which I admit is not really his fault. It is me watching too many time travel plots and being annoyed when he doesn't pic on the cues.

Damn his lack of trope awareness!
Feb 4, 2014 7:17 PM

Aug 2013
"HINAAAAA!!!"

That's the first thing that pops in my head when I think of him.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 30, 2014 4:40 AM
Jan 2014
Hes not obsessed with hina if i was sent 70 years into the future then saw a familiar face and id damn well would want to seek answers. He wanted to know the truth to why he was sent there in the first place and he never saw her as a enemy . This may confuse people into thinking hes stupid but he isnt he was being smart about it. However he was taking risks which is not smart. Stress and being in alien envirment effects people especially like a person like aoba into making reckless decisions. The basketball ball bro story in episode 1 and his friend calling him a merciless bastard however he will do anything for his friends. Which is basically saying he dont give a damn about zogillia however he will continue to protect hina because he does consider her a friend
Mar 30, 2014 9:44 AM

Sep 2011
having almost completed season 1, hes just really bland, its a bad case of him feeling less like a character and more like a walking plot point.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 30, 2014 9:38 PM

Mar 2014
Holly saint character :D
He is kind to everyone, toward friends and enemy.
He even tried to talk with bizon in ep 11 but failed and got pointed gun as repply.
Rare breed which hard to find in real life :D
Mar 31, 2014 5:14 AM

Apr 2013
sentience said:
Mar 31, 2014 8:16 PM

Jul 2012
JizzyHitler said:
having almost completed season 1, hes just really bland, its a bad case of him feeling less like a character and more like a walking plot point.

^ Plus, he reminds me of Kirito (same voice actor) and other generic protagonists from other shows.
Mar 31, 2014 8:49 PM

Jan 2009
Aoba is Neutral for me, he neither good protagonist nor is he a bad one. And that is enough honestly.
Mar 31, 2014 11:56 PM

Mar 2014
I think he is the most useless and unnecessary character ever made into a hero but I guess it wasn't for his involvement there will be no story !!

Jun 4, 2014 6:13 PM
Feb 2014
With so many indecisive and whiny protagonists, I see Aoba as a good mc. He doesn't get on my nerves and, while he's bit bland, his interactions with other characters like Dio and Hina make him likable.

Sidenote: If done right, a whiny mc can be a good one, it's just really rare.
Jul 11, 2014 6:01 PM

Jun 2013
I hope he dies.
Oct 2, 2014 10:33 PM

Apr 2013
Wow, here I was thinking I needed to make a new topic for this and there was already one present. :)
Ah! Before I begin let me say that as I write this post I've only seen BC up to 5 episodes, so my opinion may change after I complete the series (I seriously doubt it).

Aoba is... a shi**y character. I don't know how the creators at Sunrise missed this but there's something inherently wrong with him. Take the second episode as an example when he starts piloting his mecha (forgot its name), he immediately kills an opponent pilot by cutting his robot in half. It's his first kill and added to that fact is that he's never had any previous training as a soldier, yet he doesn't lose any sleep over it nor does he feel any guilt which should be natural for any person suddenly thrust in a war he knows and cares nothing about. No, he just feels homesick but that's okay as it may be the director's way of telling us he suffers from Lelouch syndrome, which I define as the inability to empathize with anyone except a select few (though he appears way too sane for that). Although looks wise he appears as a younger Suzaku, these traits aren't surprising considering Buddy may have been accidentally synthesized when Sunrise was busy milking the cow known as Geass. But what truly destroys his credibility is when he feels guilty for beardy-pilot getting injured (my question here is then why didn't he feel guilty for killing a person??) and his obsession with Hina.
Seriously, after listing all the faults that I've found in his character up till now, the most annoying thing about Aoba is when he starts screaming “HINA!!!", making my head hurt and resulting in me losing any interest in the anime for the next two minutes.

This doesn't mean he has no redeeming characteristics, he's helpful towards others(like Dio's sister in 5th episode) which isn't unusual for a MC, it's just that it gets hard to focus on them when your head is ringing with “HINA!!!".
Oct 4, 2014 10:44 PM

Sep 2011
Annoys me how generic he is. It's a terrible main character. Dio at least has some unpredictability.
Oct 7, 2014 10:13 AM

Jun 2012
mayukachan said:
JizzyHitler said:

^ Plus, he reminds me of Kirito (same voice actor) and other generic protagonists from other shows.

Ohh I didn't notice that , good catch , now I am overlapping Hina with Asuna :) .

Anyway as a character I find him quite well done and likeable , perfect for this show *nod* .

More topics from this board

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2014

74 by TheSelleri »»
Jun 27, 2:48 PM

» Why does this feel like it should have been longer? (Potential spoilers)

Damolisher - Nov 1, 2021

3 by TheOnlyOneTM »»
Jun 10, 5:36 PM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2013

218 by aleinam »»
Mar 8, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2014

199 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 7, 2023 5:45 PM

Poll: » Buddy Complex Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2014

153 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 6, 2023 8:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.