Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Giant Killing
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2010 10:01 AM

Aug 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A slower episode following the fast pace of the previous. Focusing on the supporters aka the fans and Yuri instead of the players. Considering that there was only like about of minute of soccer the entire episode and the rest was on dialogue, I was a little bored. That being said, it's a good thing Tatsumi knows that he can't let up for a second.

I'm surprised those fans can get so into soccer they sometimes neglect their actual jobs and stuff. Imitating real life?

Was that some YuriXTatsumi vibes or something

Next episode: New player. (why are we focusing on Sera all of a sudden?)
Jul 4, 2010 10:41 AM

Nov 2009
Was.... a change of pace. I like how they focused on Yuri a bit, but it seems like we are not going to get to the end of the football season by episode 26. I was bored at the start but got back into it at the end. Those old fans are trying a bit too hard >.>
Jul 4, 2010 11:43 AM

Mar 2008
I agree with you guys, it wasn't a thrill to watch the old fans through the whole episode. But I understand their importance and the show taking some time to develop them. I liked the ending bit with Yuri and the coach though~

Well it'll be interesting from this point to see how they maintain their steam. :O
Mimi_TaylorJul 4, 2010 11:58 AM
Jul 4, 2010 11:59 AM
Mar 2010
sucky ep
Jul 4, 2010 3:42 PM

Jan 2008
Not really interested in the old fans.
I get that normally one would follow a fast paced episode where there was significant twist in the flow of the story, with a slower more laidback one so as to not detract from the high of the last one...
Even so I can't say that this episode had many redeeming points.
Jul 4, 2010 4:27 PM

Mar 2009
After the high of the last episode... this one was a little odd but it could be worse. --- Randy
Jul 4, 2010 6:20 PM

May 2008
Oh well, character development! XD next episode seems nice lol

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Jul 4, 2010 7:12 PM

Jan 2009
a mediocre episode
Jul 5, 2010 12:47 AM

Feb 2009
Decent episode. Wished they showed more of the practice but I was right that Tatsumi isn't letting them relax and get that win in their heads. The old fans are meh... But why the sudden saxophone BGM and YuriXTatsumi shipping here?

New player(or is he just returning?) and focus on Sera next episode. Better pick up after this breather episode.
Jul 5, 2010 6:08 AM

Jul 2009
Pretty good episode. I think there's nothing wrong with this episode, they try to show us the impact that been brought by the win in the last match, how hard to bring a former supporter back, and other staff's life. I like the relationship between people that are being shown in here.

belatkuro said:
But why the sudden saxophone BGM and YuriXTatsumi shipping here?

This. Somehow i feel they try to bring romance element, well, i hope it's just for this episode.
RegulusJul 5, 2010 6:15 AM
Jul 5, 2010 2:07 PM
Dec 2007
This peculiar behind-the-scenes episode was probably the most spirited and simply the best episode of the series for now. It's precisely these slice-of-life moments and background developments that make Giant Killing interesting, not the poorly portrayed football matches or usual irrealistic sports clichés. Well, I'm probably trying too hard to see this as a potential rival to Oofuri, which is clearly impossible seeing the huge gap in quality between the two shows.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jul 5, 2010 3:16 PM

Dec 2008
This was a decent episode. I find it interesting compared to some other sports animes that this one will focus on fans and the pr department. Some of the enviroment that surrounds the sport.
How long would it take to earn 50 million yen, Karasawa? - Katsuya
No longer than it would take to get to the bank, provided I have a gun. -Karasawa
I'm through talking with you. -Katsuya
Jul 5, 2010 8:55 PM

Feb 2009
I don't have any problems with the content of this episode (I rather liked it) however it could have been executed in a better way in my opinion.

Jul 6, 2010 1:48 AM
Jul 2008
Interesting they decided to do this. With only being at the start of the season and they focus on fans and supporting characters.
I don't mind it at all, in fact it was very nice, but I fear that 13 eps isn't enough, because that's how many it's left.

I hope they make 2nd season. They better do dammit.
Jul 6, 2010 2:48 AM

May 2008
Alright episode,
Im wanting to see the old fans unite =D haha old times they say ^^
this ep was more of remembering tatsumi etc which was nice.

^^
Jul 6, 2010 7:23 PM

Jun 2009
Well, the episode is okay, bored me for most of the part but, next episode is another match and another player so this will be good.
Jul 7, 2010 8:59 AM

Aug 2008
Mediocre, bordering on bad episode. The music was horrible, trying to shoehorn a story for Yuri with transparently contrived melodrama was ridiculous, and Keita's dad is really getting on my nerves. I'm just tired of seeing his haggard face.

That said, I kind of think the idea of older fans getting inspired by a comeback team is a good idea for a show in and of itself. It's useless given the the structure that the show goes for, though. We're only going to see them as filler characters, and nothing integral to the show. Something needs to happen to make me feel like any of them are important. Keita's the only likable character of the 'civilians.'
Jul 7, 2010 7:00 PM

Aug 2008
Oh complaints complaionts all I read here are complaints.... Whatever... IMO it was an okay chapter since it protraited how fan reaction should be... okay okay I'm putting it wrongly... lemme rephrase.... This was an episode that clearly shows which is the impact of ETU's last win against Nagoya Grand Palace... Dunno if this directly affects of what we can see in a future about the Team's development and advancement along the league, but it really showed how passionate are those who support ETU! I loved Yuri... thou as far as I remember that happened before the NAgoya game :/... well whatever.. the point is that Yuri has to consider the advices but never give up and make ETU better everyday, just as she wishes! XD

The only minute of football on this episode was pretty intense man... I liked it... and shows that Tatsumi is consious of the impact of the last win on them and that he won't let them fall for now... GOOO ETU and kick Sapporo's ass next game!!

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2010 9:29 PM

Apr 2008
Meri said:
Interesting they decided to do this. With only being at the start of the season and they focus on fans and supporting characters.
I don't mind it at all, in fact it was very nice, but I fear that 13 eps isn't enough, because that's how many it's left.

I hope they make 2nd season. They better do dammit.

agree
Jul 7, 2010 11:53 PM

Feb 2008
garfield15 said:
yeah, not unexpected, but personally I prefer YurixTsubaki for no particular reason ; )

it was a good episode, though it was a little jarring to switch gears like that from the last episode.
Jul 8, 2010 3:01 AM

Dec 2009
Decent episode. Focused a bit more on other people after the victory.
O well, there important too. *cough*
Jul 8, 2010 4:06 AM

May 2008
Decent episode, I like the slice of life moments in sports animes and I find it a good concept that they concentrate on the staff and the fans and not just the players and the matches. And I like the Tatsumi/Yuri pair~
Jul 9, 2010 11:44 PM

Jul 2008
well looks like they're getting the troupe back together
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jul 13, 2010 11:30 PM

Sep 2008
oh awesome they actually put real places from Asakusa in the episode! Nice to see stuff like that sometimes, but then again it just brings me memories I guess.

It was a good episode, sure it wasn't amazing but I like how they also show and develop the fans rather than just the team. The series really does bring in the support of the team which is something you don't really see much of in sports Animes even though they are an important part of the team when you think about it.
Jul 16, 2010 6:59 PM

Mar 2009
I would've preferred seeing more footie sessions or practices since this ep was relatively more relaxed and slow paced, but it was quite alright anyhow.
Oct 3, 2010 4:15 PM

Aug 2010
The first person Yuri sees when she wakes up is Tatsumi wanting some ice cream. I had no idea that there was that kind of age gap, although I still think that there should be some romance between them. After all, Tatsumi did say that there should be balance.
Jan 14, 2014 4:33 PM

Mar 2010
non-match episodes are the best!
Jan 28, 2014 3:18 PM
Oct 2012
Boring... boring... boring...
Sep 6, 2014 5:22 PM

Apr 2014
I just realized that the three kids look like Tatsumi, Murakoshi, and Tsubaki:

Not sure if intentional.

jacobpaige said:
garfield15 said:
yeah, not unexpected, but personally I prefer YurixTsubaki for no particular reason ; )

Personally I prefer GinoXTatsumi

I don't think they intended that to be a romantic element. It seems to me that they just brought up the symbolism of the cherry blossoms to represent Tatsumi's 'firsts'.

Anyways, having a sidestory for Yuri the episode after their first win just feels strange. I can tell that the original story has a lot of depth to it, but these different elements just don't flow well in the anime.
Dec 16, 2015 11:23 PM

Jan 2010
a bit of character development in this one..nice :)
4/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Dec 17, 2015 9:58 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Young Yuri looks so darn cute. I wonder how old she is, mid 30's I guess. She's still cute, love her current hair.

While it is strange that they decided to focus on Yuri, I guess they did it to show how hard she is working and the importance of balance.

"Is she dead"
Oh Sera, he cracked me up.

Sep 14, 2020 2:06 PM

Dec 2007
i actually would expect more from the episode after the game, i understand there's need some break after the action, but at least focus on the players.

yuri just got scolded about being too much work and fainted? ok... at least the character development was nice.

and the goro's fan club part was really not interesting...
May 29, 9:47 AM

Jun 2022
this is good , good indeed!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

TheRealNeji - Sep 5, 2010

52 by Revillo_Phoenix »»
Jul 30, 1:45 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alexstratz - Sep 26, 2010

76 by RGreatDanton »»
May 30, 8:59 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 25 Discussion

Kanade-chan - Sep 19, 2010

45 by RGreatDanton »»
May 30, 8:36 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 24 Discussion

starrysky - Sep 12, 2010

46 by RGreatDanton »»
May 30, 7:32 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 22 Discussion

BlackListHunter - Aug 29, 2010

40 by RGreatDanton »»
May 30, 4:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.