Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 16, 2:31 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to raisin-kun
Back to the grind this week. This episode looks fabulous as all episodes that have third places in and around Uji are. Also has better music than normal which is saying something. The pacing of this season has been fluctuating between whiplash-speed and snail-crawl but this episode was actually pretty well-paced for once.

I see some people haven't read my thread on the lack of performances this season (spoilers there were never many in the whole series).

Kanade is imploring Kumiko to call Mayu out on her constant strange behaviour. Perhaps Mayu just wants closure in Kumiko directly telling her that it's fine to forfeit the soli and just take it easy. I'm exited to see how this will develop into the main drama for the final act but damn we only got 2 episodes left that's not a lot of time.

I only just noticed Taki-sensei uses the feminine "watashi" to refer to himself.

Kumiko looks great dressed up like that. Mamiko for the win.

Reina actually swallowing her pride and apologising for her comments is nice now that the drama has blown over and the tensions have died down completely. But damn do I want to see her admit that she failed to handle the situation properly as an officer. Oh well I guess that''s the most we'll get out of her.

Her trying to make a clean and cold break with Kumiko makes sense since she often thinks too narrowly without taking other people's feelings into account. But Kumiko is too warm a person for that.

raisin-kun said:
I only just noticed Taki-sensei uses the feminine "watashi" to refer to himself.

Huh, I've never paid attention to that, either.

Is "watashi" a strictly feminine pronoun? I thought it was a neutral, "default" version of "I," just more commonly used by women than by men?

What would be the more common way of referring to oneself, as a reserved male teacher speaking with a female student? Both "Ore" and "Boku" sound a little off to me. "Boku" could work, but sounds overly familiar to me, especially for Taki. Is that just me?
Jun 16, 2:47 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to -Stray
You see this is why I friggin love Kanade. She knows her shit, we had a situation like this before and with her during the movie with the Natsuki incident, if Mayu truly ever only wanted Kumiko to have the soli and not cause drama she could have easily done so by playing a little off or just dropping off giving an excuse like she doesnt have the time or not interested in playing the soli, they cant really force her if she doesnt want to, but for some reason like Kanade said, she keeps on asking literally the same question over and over and over and fcking over to Kumiko, this is like harassing Kumiko to “ask” her to drop out for her or Kumiko admitting defeat, she wants Kumiko to submit. I dont know what her end game is but all I know is she is bad news.

Also, Reina’s apology felt so forced lol. Like she just said it to say it cause everything went well for her. I wanted her to apologize and admit her way of handling the whole thing made everything worst. Fck Reina, leave, go to America and never come back to where Kumiko is. Kumiko is surrounded by shitty characters lol.
-Stray said:
Reina’s apology felt so forced lol. Like she just said it to say it cause everything went well for her. I wanted her to apologize and admit her way of handling the whole thing made everything worst.

I thought it was a very "Reina" apology. She admitted that she was wrong, conveyed what she was wrong about, and confessed she was ashamed and sorry. Very "to the point."

She's been irritating, but it's hard for me to picture what else she could have said and in what way.

Their awkward hug afterwards, and how sad she sounded when she said they will stop hanging out, reminded me that she's still an emotionally and socially clumsy person and made me feel a little better about her.
Jun 16, 2:58 PM

Dec 2012
Kumiko and Tokubetsu Leina
Jun 16, 3:49 PM

May 2015
Reply to perseii
raisin-kun said:

Huh, I've never paid attention to that, either.

Is "watashi" a strictly feminine pronoun? I thought it was a neutral, "default" version of "I," just more commonly used by women than by men?

What would be the more common way of referring to oneself, as a reserved male teacher speaking with a female student? Both "Ore" and "Boku" sound a little off to me. "Boku" could work, but sounds overly familiar to me, especially for Taki. Is that just me?
@perseii Watashi isn't strictly feminine, and I couldn't imagine a situation where a teacher would use boku let alone ore with a student.
Jun 16, 5:11 PM

Jan 2021
Seems like we've been fumbling around rn waiting for the finals to come. They keep spamming the same points. Anyway let's get this bread in the last 2 episodes, boutta see the greatest musical performance in anime ever
負けたくない

Jun 16, 5:40 PM

Nov 2021
That KumiRei scene at the end was everything
Jun 16, 6:20 PM
Oct 2023
The season has everything, but it doesn't quite convince me. I feel like the same conflict from 4-5 chapters ago continues and personally it already stressed me out. Maybe I need to see it again
Jun 16, 6:27 PM
Oct 2016
I was so worried they were gonna drop the conflict between Kumiko and Reina this episode but they very much did the complete opposite, I am sorry for ever doubting you hibike, you have my complete trust and i love you
Jun 16, 8:49 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to raisin-kun
Back to the grind this week. This episode looks fabulous as all episodes that have third places in and around Uji are. Also has better music than normal which is saying something. The pacing of this season has been fluctuating between whiplash-speed and snail-crawl but this episode was actually pretty well-paced for once.

I see some people haven't read my thread on the lack of performances this season (spoilers there were never many in the whole series).

Kanade is imploring Kumiko to call Mayu out on her constant strange behaviour. Perhaps Mayu just wants closure in Kumiko directly telling her that it's fine to forfeit the soli and just take it easy. I'm exited to see how this will develop into the main drama for the final act but damn we only got 2 episodes left that's not a lot of time.

Reina actually swallowing her pride and apologising for her comments is nice now that the drama has blown over and the tensions have died down completely. But damn do I want to see her admit that she failed to handle the situation properly as an officer. Oh well I guess that''s the most we'll get out of her.

Her trying to make a clean and cold break with Kumiko makes sense since she often thinks too narrowly without taking other people's feelings into account. But Kumiko is too warm a person for that.

raisin-kun said:

In a formal or professional setting (i.e. a teacher speaking in front of his student), watashi is perfectly natural regardless of gender.
Average MAL user's media literacy:
Marinate1016 said:
Not reading allat cause I don’t care. Tensura peak. Have a good one tho
Jun 16, 9:00 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to _Reas
Embient said:
I finally caught up let's gooooo. This show has been a blast, I'm loving it. Watch Liz and the Blue Bird and the Ensemble Contest Arc movie if you haven't already btw.
Also there are albums with character songs for Kumiko, Hazuki, Midori and Reina which were released after season 1 aired. 2 songs sang by the VAs + one piece with the character's instrument as the main focus for each album. Please check them out, they are available on Spotify worldwide. My favorite songs are 'BrushUp x BrassUp' (Kumiko's second song) and 'Shinkyou Projector' (Reina's first song)."

I think skipping the performances except the one at nationals is fine, they're playing the same piece on all competitions.
I still can't figure out what's Mayu's deal. She appears nice, but as Kanade said, if she really wanted to forfeit she'd just do it without asking Kumiko about it.
Mizore can read Kumiko like a book seriously. "You're good at opening windows"
The final auditions are here. This will be really interesting.

"Mizore POV" lol

Did you copy your comment from 9anime (aniwave whatever xd) or the other way around? xddd I was reading this and thinking that I had already seen it somewhere
@_Reas Well, I just write a comment about an episode, then post it on a couple sites. So neither I guess?
Jun 16, 9:25 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to raisin-kun

@raisin-kun
raisin-kun said:

I left you a juicy reply in your thread, please take a look
Marinate1016 said:
Jun 16, 9:39 PM
Apr 2024
Mayu has to be one of the most boring and annoying characters I've seen in a while.

They really had to include yet another "I'm gonna quit the soli" scene, but they didn't have time to show at least 1 other performance!? At least this time Kanade added some much-needed context, though we're still not sure what Mayu's motivations are.

People use the excuse that they're constrained for time, but they're doing a really poor job of using that time. Speaking of Kanade, how is it that she was far more fleshed out and understandable as a character despite being introduced in the movie that somehow fit both SunFez and Regionals? We know SO LITTLE of Mayu's motivations, and yet we only have 2 episodes left.

The "ARE U SURE U WANT ME 2 PLAY KUMIKO?!" scenes probably have a runtime of an entire episode by themselves.
Marinate1016 said:
Jun 16, 10:50 PM

Aug 2020
ABSOLUTELY DIVINE EPISODE

what an absolute satisfying episode damnn
Jun 16, 10:57 PM
Mar 2019
Reply to quintopia
There is too much going on in this episode to get into the weeds on each cool part. The girls all dolled up. Oumae's eternal indecision about the future.

But the thing that stuck out to me the most was getting to see Mizore again. And playing the oboe solo in Polovtsian Dances no less! What a character.
@quintopia

And it was a such beautiful answer to the story of Mizore: This composition was the failure of Minami Junior High School yesterday and a success for her today...
Jun 16, 11:48 PM
Oct 2013
Agreed with Mayu being very annoying, 11 eps, no exposition, no flashback but patronising Kumiko every chance she got. Why the hell she didn't want to change her instrument in the first place, if she knows how Kumiko really feel about it? Tbh, she is probably on the same level with Kumiko in terms of skills (according to Reina, Kanade etc), but due to her being annoying in the first place that the fragile Kumiko lost her solo part.
I cannot bring myself to rate anime that I have completed below 5. Well, it just because I have use up my precious time to watch it. so, the worse you will get from me is 5 (changes may apply)
Jun 17, 12:33 AM

Dec 2015
I'm f*cking tired of the lack of performances.
Yes, I know that the focus is on the character's interactions and development.

But man, if I don't get a full performance of both pieces (Scherzando and Hitotose no Uta) I'm gonna die.
Jun 17, 3:01 AM
Jun 2019
When I originally saw the preview for season 3, I was quite happy thinking Mayu might become a friendly rival for Kumiko, and have some sort of bestie trio dynamic with Kumiko and Reina. After this episode, I am 100% sure that the show would have been better off without her character. She belongs on r/mildlyinfuriating.
Jun 17, 6:00 AM

Mar 2024
So, if i understand it right, this is gold at a local competition and then will be the main goal - the national competition.

I say this often, but ill say it again - its really sad that there is no music. The entire anime about an orchestra and there is should be instrumental music.

Mayu is still one of my favorite characters. She is weird but cute. And why is she always so sad? I think that she is unhappy, i hope her personality will be revealed in the next episodes. Or i would even watch a spinoff about her.
Btw i still dont support hating her.

And there is a little more EXACTLY NOT-YURI with the main NOT-YURI couple of the entire anime. First non-yuri hugs and then non-yuri breakup worries (Reina is so cute) and holding hands... Okok, maybe Kumiko and Reina should be friends and Kumiko even have a boyfriend (does anyone still remember him?), but there is such strong yuri chemistry between Kumiko and Reina that i cant see it as anything other than yuri. You can do whatever you want with me, but its yuri and thats it.
(like, have you seen how Kumiko and Reina’s eyes sparkle when they look at each other? Now remember the relationships between Kumiko and Shuichi - its literally boredom. The relationships between Reina and Taki-sensei is more interesting, but it dont appear in the plot and the relationships between them have no future.)

I've been thinking about this for a long time, but the second half of this episode made me think again - you know what this anime is really missing? Classic aesthetics. That anime is about orchestras and instrumental music, but the style and details are too childish/girlish in a bad way. Perhaps this style is closer to the public, but i think a little more seriousness and classics (like classic dresses and interiors) would be good for the anime.
Jun 17, 6:10 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Anime staff's really, really love their Polotvtsian Dances. This is like the 4th anime were I've heard this.

Reina is weird as pheck. But not nearly as much as Mayu who must have some sort of personality disorder.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 17, 6:44 AM

Jul 2021
lol not the subtitles spoiling that kitauji did win even before its announced. i closed my eyes till the announcements were over then lol.

really happy with the apology from reina. i don't hate her anymore, she has self-reflected and realised what she did was wrong. the hug to top it off was just cherry on top. at the end kumiko even said reina's special to her, well then what are they waiting for? kissss nowwww

what's the deal with mayu again? did they mean that she has come to destroy the relationships? acting like a victim after getting kumiko to tell her to give up the soli part? if that's the case that's messed up haha. too bad though but i'm 10000000% sure that kumiko will get the soli part as no way they end the whole series with the main character literally being out of THE plot of the anime. just want to see how the mayu thing is handled, should be fun with the auditions in next episode and everything. and why do i feel like kumiko is going to end up going to a music school after all? i mean why not? all she did for 3 years of highschools was play music, she doesn't have any other interests, hobbies or skills. i think the nationals will play a big and important role in deciding kumiko's future.

great episode overall looking forward to enxt one.
TsutanaiFuunJun 17, 6:51 AM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jun 17, 6:54 AM
Jun 2007
Ah high school relationship, Reina and Kumiko ish back being "friend".
Seriously what is Mayu trying to do...
They been skipping music performance, just hope they will have one proper for Nationals.
Jun 17, 1:17 PM

Jan 2018
Mizore, wtf do you mean you can't see Kumiko in music school? Will Kumiko become an ordinary office lady?? no way. Sure she doesn't have the same dedication as Mizore and Reina has, but she is talented af
sezbian lex
Jun 17, 6:02 PM

Nov 2019
Reply to TuyNOM
I'm quite scandalized to read so many negative comments about the series - for people who wanted to continue until season 3 - and that after so many seasons they didn't realize what this series was really about: coming-of-age. This theme was already predominant in the second half of the second season. But it's clear that, as the end of the third year approaches and students decide which direction to take at university, these topics come to the fore and become central to the series.

Honestly, the moaners who continue this series don't deserve Hibike! Euphonium. Let them go back to watching idealistic series if that's what interests them. Hibike will never satisfy you.
@TuyNOM I can understand why some have expressed a bit of disappointment. As a musician, I would have liked to see more music in this season than we have been given. And while we have witnessed drama, we have not been shown the underlying motivation for it as skillfully as in the first two seasons.

Jun 17, 6:40 PM

Feb 2008
I was going to write yesterday but the episode ending got me all sad and stuff. My dear Kumiko has decided that her future will be not music related...
It got me really sad, I even cried a bit. Part of me really wanted her to go all out on music. But when Mizore replied to her in her own terms, I knew she wasn't going to. I was devastated to hear it, I really believed Reina when she said Kumiko had skill to go to music college.

I'm glad Reina apologized, didn't feel fake to me. She was wrong and she admitted it, everyone's happy now. Of course, you'd have to imagine how things would be if they didn't make Nationals. I have to admit, I doubted them for 10 seconds during the episode.

Loved the support from Mamiko, loved seeing the Minami quartet again... although Natsuki suit reminded me of the Joker. Also Yuuko cosplaying. Although short but everytime Midori has screentime, she's been the best speaker and it's not praised enough. Only problem left is now Mayu. I'm really tired of her sadist personality but I guess that's the final boss of the season. Let's hope for a 9min performance in one of these two last episodes.

"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Jun 18, 1:50 AM
Jan 2022
ive noticed 3 main topics of this season. where kumiko is gonna go to college, kumiko and mayu's relationship, and reina and kumikos friendship.
Jun 19, 12:30 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The team pass round and they will fight for the gold in the country event!!!
Kumiko continues with doubts about her future!!!
kekeke
Jun 19, 9:17 PM

Aug 2017
i love the face Yayoi made in the eyecatch :3

i loved seeing butch Natsuki as well, she and Yuuko are so cute together <3

and of course, Reina making up with Kumiko and them hugging each other melted my heart <333
great episode~
Jun 20, 3:34 PM

Sep 2017
The girls outfits at Mizore's concert was kickass. Anyway no music in my music anime again. Only two episodes left and we're supposed to get the nationals performance this season right? And given that they literally haven't shown us fuck all from their performance so far, they gotta do the full thing for nationals right? Feels like it will be at least 5 minutes but maybe closer to 10 of music. Not a lot of time to do all the things.
Jun 21, 6:16 PM

Jul 2016
Natsuki in a suit!!!
Also Nozomi absolutely rocked that dress.

Nice. Reina apologized to Kumiko for being an absolute ass of a friend. Episode was saved.
But seriously, 11 episodes in and Kuroe keeps repeating the same shit about forfeiting? Come on, man...
Jun 22, 7:30 AM

May 2015
Kitauji will be at the national ! We dit it !
Jun 22, 8:07 AM
Aug 2010
At least finally Kumiko ruled out music school. Felt like she just wanted someone else to tell her to go for it, and if she's that on the fence about it, just don't make that commitment.
Jun 22, 7:22 PM
Mar 2019
Such a heartwarming episode. Decisions were made, and it looks like Kumiko is dead set on hers already. There's still the nationals coming up. One...last...push.
Jun 23, 10:25 PM
Jul 2023
Epic masterclass cinema
Jun 23, 10:48 PM

May 2021
I liked this episode quite a bit. I'm a huge fan of Kumiko's seniors so it was very nice to see them return again. Even better, we got to see a glimpse of Mizore performing at her new college.

Natsuki in a suit was to die for. She is my #1. Now I'm interested to hear what kind of music her and Yuuko are making.

Main thing I feel the need to express is how differently I feel about Reina this season. I'm truly trying to understand when exactly I started to dislike her character and it happened at some point during this season. I don't think she is a bad character by any means, but she has rubbed me the wrong way time and time again in S3. I hope by the end of the season I feel differently about that. Sincerely don't want to dislike Reina, as I think her and Kumiko have a deeper relationship than most of the cast. I just can't seem to vibe with her in the recent episodes.

Really hoping the rest of the season finishes out strong with a lot of callbacks to the older bandmates. I think that's the biggest payoff for me right now. I'm not ready to accept this show ending. lol

Jun 25, 7:30 AM

Apr 2013
Reina is always so weird about everything. Ending a friendship just because you are not in the same school anymore? Petty.
Jun 27, 6:06 AM
Feb 2020
Reply to Gator
Reina is always so weird about everything. Ending a friendship just because you are not in the same school anymore? Petty.
@Gator I was thinking the same thing, like does she think their friendship is that fragile after going through so much?
Jun 29, 2:47 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
They won the gold but I couldn't care less since they didn't show the performance, at least now they're confirmed to attend the nationals! Kumiko's situation with Mayu is getting tenser since she realizes that Mayu is just here to taunt and take her place hm... Kumiko is still unsure about her future, but them going to Mizore's concert was good, especially because they all looked beautiful dressed up like that... moment between Kumiko and Reina at the end was also really sweet.
Jul 17, 5:17 PM
Mar 2019
Someone actually sees Mayu for what she is, patronizing.
Jul 25, 6:28 PM
Sep 2020
This show is going to make me cry
Jul 28, 9:25 PM

Mar 2015
They made it to the Nationals! and Mayu's had enough of being the villain.
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Oct 10, 1:38 PM

May 2020
The visuals starting to get prettier by episode, and the old cast is slowly returning for the performances. Glad to see things are getting more stable but I can see more tension coming up as only two final episodes are remaining.

MAL is the perfect place to shit talk about people's opinions.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DarkHumor04 - Jun 30

204 by defaulticus »»
Oct 14, 12:20 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

IzanaSolos - Jun 23

340 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:51 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Jun 9

95 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:24 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 2

112 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:18 PM

» About this season

TEMPEST_1 - Sep 30

6 by TEMPEST_1 »»
Sep 30, 10:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.