Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2023 7:30 AM

Jul 2017
From Takahiro, the creator of Akame ga Kill and Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru, comes Lerche's 2nd idol anime after Winter 2021's Idoly Pride.

The 16-year-old hopeful Kokona Otori (accompanied by her good friend Shizuka) wanting to be accepted by the acting troupe Sirius after 2 tryout rejections, she has been given the chance to move ahead. The coincidental meeting with German Kathrina Griebel going to the same place in Asakusa for auditions, though it seems that both girls were stalking her, going to the same place.

Spearheaded by Sirius's vice-president and former Dai Star Noa Hiiragi, it's the testing of potential candidates of their acting Sense, which immediately cowers fear to those not prepared to face it. Not too far gone nor too strong, just right, and Kathrina's poised to act fervently alongside Noa, being the next potential. Instead of Noa, it's another Sirius member Yae Niizuma acting with Kokona, and being distraught in fear, Yae helped relieve the latter's nervousness to deliver an unexpected performance, in the face of Shizuka.

The members Panda Yanagiba and Chisa Sasuga are eccentric on their own kind, though it remains to be seen. Though the biggest mystery is with Shizuka, being the imaginary friend, a ghost-like character to help Kokona progress.

This is pretty much in the same vein as Revue Starlight, only darker, though it still needs more cooking in the process.
KANLen09Apr 9, 2023 12:57 PM
Apr 9, 2023 7:30 AM

Feb 2018
A high school girl named Otori dreams of becoming the top star in the theater world, the "World Dystar". Although she almost gives up on her dream because she feels she lacks talent, she is encouraged by her friend to audition for her idol theater group, "Sirius". While on their way to the Sirius theater together, they meet a girl named Katrina who is lost on the road. It turns out that Katrina is also a candidate for the Sirius entrance exam and on one occasion, she says harsh words to Otori.

Otori is too self-deprecating. Kathrina is really arrogant, and the former leader of Dai Star's speech is enough to make Otori's spirit fade. Shizuka also faithfully accompanies Otori. It was an audition that made the contestants nervous. The script is about a mermaid princess. It's a story about a mermaid princess who breaks the rules, maybe? I didn't hear this part very well, sorry if I'm wrong...

Although it's just reading the drama script. The coach really delves into the mermaid princess script. There was even a contestant who was afraid of the coach's acting.

Now it's Katrina's turn to perform. It is a stunning dramatic performance. Before starting to read the script, Katrina starts some deduction and thinks of a plan. It is a story about a mermaid princess who wants to marry the prince. The mermaid princess who wants to become a human also finds out that if she becomes human, she will not be able to return to being a mermaid princess.

Umi no Majo (Sea Witch) really played an important role. The coach delved into the role of the Sea Witch with coolness. Now it's Otori's turn. Otori was nervous at first. She felt that she lacked talent as she heard from people around her.

Niizuma-san advances with Otori. It becomes a duo performance. Otori plays the role of the prince. It is an important role because it has to play the climax scene.

While imagining Shizuka, it was a stunning performance... Otori really played the prince perfectly. Good acting. Niizuma-san was also cool, they were the best duo. I'm confused, how could Otori sound like a man, lol...

I thought that was an impressive performance earlier. This anime is promising and I will keep watching it.
Apr 9, 2023 8:53 AM

Jul 2015
Only talking giraffe is missing.

Apr 9, 2023 9:09 AM

Apr 2014
Where is the talking giraffe?? Where is the talking giraffe??
okay first of all, who tf is that Shizuka!!?? A ghost of her childhood friend?! Or her imaginary friend?!

btw, the train station from this episode is Mutsu-Yokohama Station in Yokohama town, Aomori. Basically, her hometown is Yokohama in Aomori Prefecture. It's the smaller Yokohama in Shimokita Peninsula, not that famous mega city Yokohama.
何それ?意味分かんない
Apr 9, 2023 9:13 AM

Feb 2018
AkeZZZ said:
Where is the talking giraffe??
the train station from this episode is Mutsu-Yokohama Station in Yokohama town, Aomori. Basically, her hometown is Yokohama in Aomori Prefecture. It's the smaller Yokohama in Shimokita Peninsula, not that famous mega city Yokohama.
Really? I think it was from Aizu-Bange Station Okay that was interesting information...I don't even know where she's from xD
Apr 9, 2023 9:16 AM

Feb 2019
That ending scene was unexpected. Seems like Shizuka is not really there.
The line below is True.
The line above is False.
Apr 9, 2023 9:19 AM

Apr 2014
Syureria said:
AkeZZZ said:
Where is the talking giraffe??
the train station from this episode is Mutsu-Yokohama Station in Yokohama town, Aomori. Basically, her hometown is Yokohama in Aomori Prefecture. It's the smaller Yokohama in Shimokita Peninsula, not that famous mega city Yokohama.
Really? I think it was from Aizu-Bange Station Okay that was interesting information...I don't even know where she's from xD

yes, sure

The name of the station was written here

The shape and colorsof the station building are also matching with the real one

Also, from this scene. Kokona's ticket is also written as Hachinohe - Ueno. Which, Hachinohe is one of the closest Shinkansen station.
何それ?意味分かんない
Apr 9, 2023 9:42 AM

Feb 2018
AkeZZZ said:
The name of the station was written here
The shape and colorsof the station building are also matching with the real one

Ooomagaaa Makiiii-sannnnn... you have so detailed, lul... It is so dark I can't see anything and I can't pause the video because of live stream... How did you found those station sign... Are you watching x0.25 speed? T_T

tysm for the detail
Apr 9, 2023 10:31 AM

Sep 2020
As someone who loves acting and doing theatre. I really enjoyed this. I thought this was an idol anime at first but it’s theatre. Can’t wait to see what direction they will take this in

That ending really got me. Also the animation while they were acting was really good. Can’t tell if it is rotoscoped or just animated really well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2023 10:51 AM
Aug 2015
whatever takahiro's cooking i'm sold. i gotta admit, i absolutely hated yuuki yuuna (season 1) but this looks promising.
Apr 9, 2023 11:45 AM

Feb 2020
good start. the last part of the ep where Hiiragi says that Kokona is portraying someone else's take on the Prince makes me wonder. perhaps this anime will mostly be about Kokona exploring her true identity in performing arts?... must be related to Shizuka, who seems quite important to the story, as she did not audition for Sirius nor she is for some reason a ghost, and was not even introduced (to us) iirc. wonder why's that happening, hm?

anyway, thank goodness it's not just a bunch of action scenes with 'meaning' like a certain anime.

edit: more thinking - perhaps Hiiragi is related to Shizuka's situation; she is a former actress after all. a guess may be that they might've known each other, especially considering they're both quite talented?
BoazanianApr 9, 2023 11:58 AM
Apr 9, 2023 12:29 PM
Apr 2023
Hesmiyu said:
That ending scene was unexpected. Seems like Shizuka is not really there.

Yeah i noticed that too it’s pretty weird since she appears in the ed, but in time we’ll know what’s going on.
(Hoping it’s not something super dark)
Apr 9, 2023 12:55 PM

Mar 2014
They like to overexaggerate the whole "acting" stuff and it makes feel cringey, I don't like it however I am amazed with Iwami performance doing a male voice and also that last part Shizuka not there kinda suggest that perhaps there is more to it
Apr 9, 2023 1:33 PM

Nov 2012
I was going to say thanks but no thanks to World Dai Star until the very last moment.  

Is Kokona seeing a ghost?  When I think back no on acknowledged the friend even once not even Kokona's parents. When she spoke to her, Yae called her strange.  Then she we couldn't see anyone Kokona was talking to while walking away. 

They say theatres are haunted. This may be interesting afterall.
Apr 9, 2023 4:06 PM

Oct 2020
really loved the first episode. Also holy shit that twist at the end tho, didn't expect that one, gave me actual chills when I realized.
Apr 9, 2023 5:51 PM

Jul 2015
Seems like Shizuka is some sort of ghost/apparition or figment of Kokona's imagination.
I'd say it was beautifully foreshadowed with her being the only one without her surname listed, was not called for during audion, Kokona's parents completely ignored her and overall something felt off.

Apr 9, 2023 6:28 PM
Jan 2021
Shizuka is some plot armor or even the plot itself that I can't believe, I can see this again in this gag anime.

Anyway, you can see Studio Hibari/Lerche's golden era now. I mean, 2 original animes in 2 seasons for a row. This is probably Kinome Yuu-san's perfect comeback.
Apr 9, 2023 10:50 PM
Dec 2016
Someone forgot it's meds xd
Ok where's the giraffe 🦒
Apr 10, 2023 2:57 AM

Nov 2018
Okay, This episode made me intrigued for the future episode. When I think that something wrong with Shizuka not getting recognize or socialize by others except Kokona, I think is pretty weird but I see with my eyes that Kokona talk to herself from other people. So the biggest question from this episode (or this series as a whole) are who is Shizuka??? Did she a ghost, Imaginary Friend, or something else. I don't know the answer for now but I really looking forward to it.

Also did Kathrina have an ability to stop time??? Are we really gonna get Theater Anime that based on Power Scalling or Skill Scalling if you want to syncronize with it like Kuroko no Basket, I hope not like that. But If their want to do that, their need some solid story and world building to backup with it. or Maybe it's just some kind of alegory that gonna happen often in this anime. I don't know, Hope future episode gonna get some explanation real quick to resolve this plot hole.

The script their use for this audition is Little Mermaid, Which the script kind of (or even Same) as The Little Mermaid that people know. So, I have some context what kind of story segment are happening on the story.

Overall, Great Episode but need some clarification with World Building and Some questionable skill that happens.
Yunohi-kunApr 10, 2023 3:10 AM
Apr 10, 2023 3:30 AM

Sep 2016
The protagonist have a tulpa girlfriend

Finally, a relatable anime protagonist! Seriously tho, that was a really nice first episode, we need more anime about theaters. Kinda sad most people will skip on it.
Apr 10, 2023 4:16 AM
Jan 2021
extralie said:
The protagonist have a tulpa girlfriend

Finally, a relatable anime protagonist! Seriously tho, that was a really nice first episode, we need more anime about theaters. Kinda sad most people will skip on it.

It's getting more popular in Japan, at least they still get trending on Twitter Japan. Though this is emotional for me as Idoly Pride is highly credited on World Dai Star by otakus.
Apr 10, 2023 4:40 AM
Apr 2022
thought this would be another idol anime that will be an instant skip, but it was good with a twist at the end
Apr 10, 2023 8:34 AM

Feb 2019
Aw man no one told me we had a Lerche acting anime coming this season. Didn’t even have it in my PTW. Really liked this first episode. I’m guessing same team as Idoly pride worked on this one since the character designs and even animation are very similar. Story wise it reminds me of kageki shoujo minus the school. really looking forward to this one. Probably the hidden gem of the season
Apr 10, 2023 8:47 AM

Dec 2016
I'm truly impressed (and that's something hard to achieve)

From the PVs I was expecting something in between of Starlight and some gaccha game ad, not in a 100 years I was expecting it to be a full theatre show with incredibly fluid and detailed character animation and top voice acting. I have replayed Kathrina's acting and Hiragii sensei's acting scenes at least 5 times so far, and it still gives me chills the great combination of animation, sound and voice acting.

The plottwist at the end is just chef's kiss to keep the audience intrigued until next episode.
Apr 10, 2023 6:30 PM

Jan 2011
huh so i thought this was one of dem idol projects i usually give em a go but this is a stage acting show with supernatural elements?  Starlight revue  kinda peaked this genre of anime for me but i will take more since i'd be hard press to top that

first episode was decent i guess  it looks nice but im glad everyone else is wondering if this girl with "kokonuts" is real i wasn't till they actually were in the theater that i went wait a darn second has anyone mentioned this girl as well as kokona  then the ending scene ,im interested in learning more about that aspect is she dead?  does she simply idolize her to the point of her becoming a split personality is it her sense? lol which when they said you have no sense i thought they weren't implying some kind of magical super power 
Apr 11, 2023 1:06 AM
Jan 2021
Marinate1016 said:
Aw man no one told me we had a Lerche acting anime coming this season. Didn’t even have it in my PTW. Really liked this first episode. I’m guessing same team as Idoly pride worked on this one since the character designs and even animation are very similar. Story wise it reminds me of kageki shoujo minus the school. really looking forward to this one. Probably the hidden gem of the season

No. The animation character designer is different. Idoly Pride's animation character designer is now working for Spy Classroom. And yet, you might be shocked on the animation character designer of World Dai Star: she was character designer of UniteUp in CloverWorks, which is the idol anime for some Sony Music Artists's male seiyuus, including the one who voiced Denji in Chainsaw Man, with Tomoriru.

Even more surprising: the draft designs and animation designs have evolved to be very different, going beyond what happened with takt op Destiny and 22/7.
Apr 11, 2023 2:24 AM

Oct 2007
glad to see Sally Amaki getting more va work. She's good.

my early favorite character is Yae. So helpful. Without her, Kokona probably would not have made it in.

will keep following for now..
Liddo-kunApr 11, 2023 2:31 AM
Apr 11, 2023 4:50 AM
Apr 2023
wow, really unexpected ending for this anime, shizuka give me surprise
Apr 11, 2023 8:20 AM

Feb 2019
teofilusSW said:
Marinate1016 said:

No. The animation character designer is different. Idoly Pride's animation character designer is now working for Spy Classroom. And yet, you might be shocked on the animation character designer of World Dai Star: she was character designer of UniteUp in CloverWorks, which is the idol anime for some Sony Music Artists's male seiyuus, including the one who voiced Denji in Chainsaw Man, with Tomoriru.

Even more surprising: the draft designs and animation designs have evolved to be very different, going beyond what happened with takt op Destiny and 22/7.

May be a different guy, but they’ve still kept the same style. You can tell it’s the same studio.
Apr 13, 2023 5:50 AM

Sep 2016
unsurprisingly mid. it's lacking sense heh.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 13, 2023 6:00 PM
Jul 2014
a tasteful twist to create a tasteful ending
Apr 14, 2023 10:14 PM

May 2018
Holy shit my girl is schizo, well that was quite something, I'm definitely curious now.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Apr 15, 2023 1:29 AM

May 2015
I might pick up this show if it gets super dark
Apr 15, 2023 1:33 AM

May 2009
I guessed blue girl is ghost after MC parents didn't react to her.
Apr 16, 2023 9:14 AM
Apr 2021
Utter waste of production funds for animes like girls-only and boys-only stories! There are many companies that fell into debt because of these storylines but still, they produce such!!! There are tons of great mangas which don't get anime adaptations because of lack of funds! Damn you idiots! 🤬🤬🤬
Apr 16, 2023 9:18 AM
May 2011
hotshotfire said:
There are many companies that fell into debt because of these storylines but still, they produce such!!!
I'm gonna need names of the companies and articles that explicitly state that the reason they went into debt is because they were making idol shows.
May 7, 2023 10:33 AM
Feb 2016
Me gusto el capitulo

Jun 7, 2023 8:08 PM

Nov 2009
Huh... reminds me of those other "kids idol anime" lol.

Where some of the "kids idol anime" have the MC that's scared about first time but gets out of no where talent as a random top idol appears to help out MC

LOL

TBH, the setting is quite generic as a lot of these idol things have been done before, but I guess this is technically "mixed media project" where the main thing is to promote other medias, such as merch sales, voice actors and games.

There's also hints of shoujo-ai and rivalry as usual with female idols, lol.
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*

More topics from this board

Poll: » World Dai Star Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 4, 2023

16 by shiroi-ookami »»
Aug 16, 4:59 AM

» German language

DreamingBeats - May 6, 2023

6 by shiroi-ookami »»
Aug 15, 6:03 AM

Poll: » World Dai Star Episode 12 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 25, 2023

36 by onlybyjan »»
Jul 5, 1:23 PM

Poll: » World Dai Star Episode 3 Discussion

Syureria - Apr 23, 2023

34 by Thaliel »»
Jul 1, 10:45 PM

Poll: » World Dai Star Episode 2 Discussion

Syureria - Apr 16, 2023

32 by Thaliel »»
Jul 1, 10:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.