Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 20, 2020 12:04 AM
Nov 2016
This episode struck a really personal part of me. Being gay in a country where your marriage and relationship recognized. Gay marriage wasn't legal until I was 20 and I remember worrying about how I could never live a "normal life" as a teenager. I hope she finds the girl of her dreams and can stay happy. <3
Jan 20, 2020 9:26 AM

Jun 2008
ConfVamp said:
This episode struck a really personal part of me. Being gay in a country where your marriage and relationship recognized. Gay marriage wasn't legal until I was 20 and I remember worrying about how I could never live a "normal life" as a teenager. I hope she finds the girl of her dreams and can stay happy. <3

The novel implied that she got back with her girlfriend so hopefully they will be happy together
Jan 20, 2020 12:17 PM
Aug 2011
lmao at that one user that didn't get that this episode was about a lesbian who couldn't bring herself to be tied down with a man and thus fulfill the "normal expectations for women"

I guess this needed actual whores smothering their cow tits on each other in the beach for this episode to make any sense to them

In other news- Richard's a know-it-all so he should probably educate Seigi a little bit on diversity instead- like others here mentioned; it would be beneficial considering the type of shop this is.
standJan 20, 2020 12:26 PM
Jan 21, 2020 1:10 PM

Dec 2014
ok like women are complicated
Jan 21, 2020 3:31 PM

Mar 2019
jungsae said:
Richard is so easily triggered I wont be surprised if he owns a tumblr account. Seigi's question about arabian garment was naive at worst, which he was also polite enough to ask Richard and not the person himself. And his comment about the lesbian was a mere realization that there are people who struggle through things that seem so simple and natural for him. Yet Richard decided to be a dick instead of simply explaining why must that man wear such garment in a foreign country and in hot weather, then threw totally inappropriate generalization accusations for no reason. Big yikes.

In fact, he's just training his employee to be convenient and keep his mouth shut about people's particularities.
my dark magical girl webseries
https://unsafemahoushoujo.wordpress.com/blog/
Jan 21, 2020 11:09 PM

Mar 2010
Sad for all parties evolved. Not sure if I should dislike mami for leading him on or what lol
Jan 23, 2020 9:02 AM

Jul 2012
I'm used to episodic cases like in Detective Conan so I don't have an issue with this.

Seigi is a really boring protagonist lol. Richard is the only one interesting here.

I think this show is wasted as an anime, it would have done much better as live action since most of y'all (not necessarily this thread but the community) don't appreciate this genre and prefer stuff like Psycho Pass anyway.
Jan 25, 2020 9:15 AM
Jul 2019
DeitysDynasty said:
Horn_dawg_2019 said:
IMAO, ok so if that Mami girl really wanna break up that guy then why go to all that drama and just return that broach to the guy rather than having it apprise to Richard??????Also, this episode was jut waay tooo enigmatic given that she only gave a phrase " "I can't stand growing a vegetable garden in a desert anymore". Now I don't know any of you, but TBH, she never mention anything that she's a lesbian nor does she said that she's transgender and she never said that she's dying.

Ok lets start this again,
while talking to seigi, Mami mentions a previous lover Akashi, the name she used to work with richard. Akashi was called a she so we know her ex-lover was a girl.
However she was forced to leave that relationship behind due to her conditioning (implied).
the desert, japanese society isnt as modern as the west so gay relationships arent seen as normal, and she was conditioned at a young age to be normal, and a gay relationship isnt normal for them
Hence, a vegetable (her lesbian relationship) growing in a desert (japanese society), its a place where the vegetable wouldnt grow.

Mami was never going to sell the broach, she used it as an intricate coin flip, if it landed heads (the ruby was heated) then she'd marry her fiance, if it was tails (it wasnt heated) then she'd call it off.

Yeah, I dig it, She's a stupid lesbian, that should not have gone through all that trouble just to break off with the guy.
Horn_dawg_2019Jan 25, 2020 9:20 AM
Jan 25, 2020 9:44 AM
May 2017
Horn_dawg_2019 said:
DeitysDynasty said:

Ok lets start this again,
while talking to seigi, Mami mentions a previous lover Akashi, the name she used to work with richard. Akashi was called a she so we know her ex-lover was a girl.
However she was forced to leave that relationship behind due to her conditioning (implied).
the desert, japanese society isnt as modern as the west so gay relationships arent seen as normal, and she was conditioned at a young age to be normal, and a gay relationship isnt normal for them
Hence, a vegetable (her lesbian relationship) growing in a desert (japanese society), its a place where the vegetable wouldnt grow.

Mami was never going to sell the broach, she used it as an intricate coin flip, if it landed heads (the ruby was heated) then she'd marry her fiance, if it was tails (it wasnt heated) then she'd call it off.

Yeah, I dig it, She's a stupid lesbian, that should not have gone through all that trouble just to break off with the guy.
People are irrational
She tried to rationalise something she couldn’t
Hence you see it as silly
Jan 25, 2020 9:48 AM
Jul 2019
DeitysDynasty said:
Horn_dawg_2019 said:

People are irrational
She tried to rationalise something she couldn’t
Hence you see it as silly

cu'z it is, besides how hard can it be to say that "It's Over between us."
Jan 26, 2020 10:00 AM

Jan 2015
I wanted more character development but it was a nice story
Jan 29, 2020 4:23 AM

Mar 2009
Pretty fantastic episode. And I hope that woman can find some happiness.
Jan 31, 2020 1:47 PM

Sep 2014
janiwolf said:
I really liked how this episode dared to show the issues with systematic bigotty in Japanese society. And how even good people like Seigi have it unconsciously. The Gem in this episode was interesting. I guess I'll watch all the episodes of this anime and won't drop it.

Agree - this is how i felt too. I was on the fence about it and totally thought her issue was that she felt bad she couldn't bear children or something like that but when it turned out she was a lesbian i was genuinely impressed. Loved Richard calling out Seiji's unconscious bias too!!!
Feb 8, 2020 9:02 PM

Jun 2019
I'm really loving this show so far. It reminds me of some of the quieter live investigative and detective shows, often involving PIs and defense lawyers, which I always used to watch with my mom growing up and still can always put on and enjoy today.

I really respect how it's tackling some major life issues and grounded problems like inter-generational guilt, poverty, shame and desire to assimilate into conventional society over your sexuality or other factors, and doing it all in a very subdued and relaxing manner. That's how I best would describe the show so far - "Relaxing". Like taking in a mystery novel on a cozy autumn afternoon alone in the house with the blanket draped over you and camomile tea in hand (or royal milk!). Even though just two episodes in some of the issues it's presenting are controversial and serious ones, it doesn't feel the need to necessarily be tense or scary to tell its story, nor to be excessively loud. Not every show has to have a bunch of screaming and catchphrases being loudly shouted. It's almost like an iyashikei-mystery hybrid, like the Aria of mystery anime.

So far slowly poring over details seems given more primacy than delving too much in to some of the main characters, like Richard.

And on that topic, about Richard, I also don't understand what he is calling discriminatory. The first question asked was about whether the Arab man (he looked like a Gulf Arab like a Saudi or Emirati in a dishdasha to me) would be hot in his clothing. That's a perfectly legitimate question, since it is clothing he is not accustomed to seeing and even native clothing from within your own culture could arouse such a line of questioning. It's something I might ask about someone with a heavy wool sweater and has nothing to do with denigrating other ethnicities. Sure, someone could ask this, as well as any question, in a mocking or condescending way with hostility or intentions of insulting or alienating someone for their difference, but it certainly wasn't either phrased or vocalized this way in tone at all.

And the question about people like the female lesbian character having it hard in Japan. That seems like a respectful observation of the societal pressures a minority in Japan might come under, like one who is a minority for their sexual orientation. Folks need to learn that simple acknowledgment of difference existing is absolutely not derogatory in and of itself in any way. Saying a minority exists and they may have it hard or may have to deal with A, B, or C is not like calling them subhuman or a proclamation of your superiority over them or something. WTF? In this case, it came off more as a show of deference/humility and sympathy with her plight.

I don't know what the show creators and/or original author's intentions are with that characterization, but I'm finding it amusing as a bit of probably unintentional humor to see what innocent comment Seigi will say next that will set him off. And how folks will react to it on here. Its inclusion is worth it for that.

Two more points about Richard I loved this episode:

1) That quick vicious glare he gave Seigi, not over any of the discrimination drama, but when he offhandedly remarked to the woman's fiancee about maybe she "has the marriage blues". Lol. All it took was a look from Richard. No words. That's the kind of subtle humor, intentional or not, I thrive on.

2) Richard's last line (the last line of the episode, I believe?) about the standard weight and measurement system for gems being carats and how that could be converted to grams, but it's preferable not to just for the sake of preserving its distinctness, beauty, and unique sheen. About how having different metrics and measuring systems is worth something in and of itself. That line is a gem. As a supporter of both neurodiversity and biodiversity in all relevant contexts which come before me, I took notice. There is some truth and value in just acknowledging that no two gems are exactly alike, and so too no two humans, no two non-human animals, no two plants or fungi, down to probably even bacteria to the subatomic level. The diversity of the world and universe is also its majesty. And so many people who claim to love and extol the benefits and virtue of diversity don't actually in practice respect the existence of genuinely different (not just cosmetic or superficial) ways of thinking and of lifestyles. What poignancy a line can carry.

WatchTillTandavaFeb 8, 2020 9:09 PM
Feb 25, 2020 2:06 PM

Dec 2008
I was not expecting a casual lesbian character appearing right in the second episode. That definitely was fresh.
As for Mami's words, I understood them as her conviction that there is nothing "productive" in a homosexual relationship. As in, a heterosexual relationship can lead to marriage and children, which are considered to be one of the most important goals in people's lives, whereas a homosexual relationship can't have either (You can't marry in Japan and you can't have fully biological kids with your partner). That's why being in such a relationship can be like tending to vegetables in desert.(don't remember the exact quote lol). Well, she definitely had her issues but luckily, Seigi channeled his inner psychologist.

P.S Lmao at people thinking that Mami is a trans
Apr 22, 2020 12:51 PM

Jul 2015
Quite the serious case this weak, kind of sad for Homura but at least he cares about letting Mami happiness over his own, also sad for Mami since Japan isn't the most open towards lesbian relationships like western countries are
Seigi making some small steps but he still has quite a lot to learn, at least he can make some decent tea now

Apr 23, 2020 6:58 PM

Feb 2011
Weird, it was pretty clear to me the reason Richard didn't explain everything is because he knew Seigi was smart enough to realize why the things he said were insensitive. No need to spoon feed him when he has a brain to use.
眠れないのは君のせい
Apr 7, 2022 7:28 PM

Jul 2021
Mami's story felt some attachment to me
Nov 21, 2022 6:20 AM

Oct 2017
The show's alright, but the fans take it to an insanely crazy level. Why do so many people treat gay people as sexual projected objects for their own fantasies? There's zero sign of both MCs being in such way. And her being trans? Am I living on another planet? I know people lack any basic intelligence when it comes to describing trans people... apparently cactuses having something to do with it now lmao. It's sad that this has become a projection show for woke people and it's really pushing me off the show. Aspects of it are forced and biased anyway but these fans are just reminding me of something that gets proven every day: not a single person is treated as a human being unless it fills their agenda. I am so fed up of woke people completely erasing the suffragette movement, tomboys and lesbians.

Nobody understands what actual discrimination is nowadays. It isn't questioning why someone is wearing a skirt in the winter. And why is your sexuality relevant in a jeweler? Nobody knows your sexuality when you walk into a shop. Or are they trying to prove that cheating is okay as long as it's not straight?
BunilleNov 21, 2022 6:31 AM
Nov 28, 2022 1:59 AM

Jun 2019
Bunille said:
The show's alright, but the fans take it to an insanely crazy level. Why do so many people treat gay people as sexual projected objects for their own fantasies? There's zero sign of both MCs being in such way. And her being trans? Am I living on another planet? I know people lack any basic intelligence when it comes to describing trans people... apparently cactuses having something to do with it now lmao. It's sad that this has become a projection show for woke people and it's really pushing me off the show. Aspects of it are forced and biased anyway but these fans are just reminding me of something that gets proven every day: not a single person is treated as a human being unless it fills their agenda. I am so fed up of woke people completely erasing the suffragette movement, tomboys and lesbians.

Nobody understands what actual discrimination is nowadays. It isn't questioning why someone is wearing a skirt in the winter. And why is your sexuality relevant in a jeweler? Nobody knows your sexuality when you walk into a shop. Or are they trying to prove that cheating is okay as long as it's not straight?

People are generally extremely tribal and tribal-minded and what this translates to in terms of what they desire from a TV series is that while some just want to see a character which is reflective of them in some part in behavior, interests, views, personality traits, etc., many, perhaps most today since it's deliberately promoted in an era of identity politics, take that to mean they need to see a character of their specific race, ethnicity, nationality, sex, sexual orientation, and/or religion, in order to feel validated and represented. It's a completely unrelatable and alien mentality and ideology to me, but it's increasingly extremely commonplace and pushed everywhere.

I also think the phenomenon as it relates to gays is also part of an alternate push and pull of a pendulum swinging. For a long time in Western societies, homosexuality and expressions of it were extremely repressed so that has led to a backlash or pushback and now it's pushed to an extreme in the other direction by those who felt maligned, and it's profitable for companies and politically advantageous for different governments and parties/factions as an easy way of near-guaranteeing some vote share and financial contributions by engaging in identity politics, the same as superficial representations of and appeals to other minority groups.

Although I do see the two main male characters as either gay or at least bisexual and open to the prospect. But since I only watched this series fully once, I can't remember if it's an impression I had from the start, by episode two (the subject of this topic thread), or at some point after some later episode due to other dialogue or events which solidified this belief, so can't/don't want to really speculate on the specifics as to why or spoil anything for later episodes. I think most broadly it can be said that it leaves things at least suggestive, ambiguous, and open, and there is definitely an either asexual, aromantic, or both supporting character.
WatchTillTandavaNov 28, 2022 2:03 AM
Aug 31, 2023 10:56 AM
Des31

Oct 2020
Didn't expect the story goes this way but it was interesting for me
May 29, 12:39 AM

Aug 2019
Richard can speak any language!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2020

26 by Sun_Chan »»
May 29, 11:54 PM

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2020

34 by Sun_Chan »»
May 29, 11:49 PM

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2020

47 by Sun_Chan »»
May 29, 7:22 AM

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2020

48 by Sun_Chan »»
May 29, 12:58 AM

Poll: » Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2020

94 by Sun_Chan »»
May 29, 12:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.