Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 3, 2018 1:56 PM

Sep 2014
I did a review but I can't post it until ep4 so I will copypaste here.

Hi, I don't usually make reviews, they are usually longer than useful but I'm forced to do this. I'm not going to bore you by telling you technical details, I'll just tell you my humble opinion.

Best 3D animation I have ever seen, and very high quality animation in general. The OST is quite good since it's inspirated in classical music of old series but with a new fresh and vivid sound. And that's all the good things I can tell about this remake.

I'm not a hater of remakes or adaptations, or a lover of old anime, I'm just a lover of the original GinEiDen. I had no intention of criticizing this, however after this first chapter, it is clear to me that watching this adaptation instead of the first one is a waste of time, and I will explain why.

As in the old anime, this begins by narrating the Battle of Astarte. In the old anime, this battle does not have a great weight in the plot, unlike the rest of the battles, its mission is to introduce 90% of the important characters that will appear later in the 110 episodes of the OVA. However, in the first chapter there have been some... four important characters? Then I ask myself, for what purpose is this battle offered?

At the moment this anime, unlike the old, focuses almost completely on Reinhard's point of view. It does not seem bad if it's only for one chapter, the problem is that so far, limiting the point of view to a character, it shows three times less plot than the old, and I thought the old animes had slow pace...

There is another intriguing issue in the future relationship between Reinhard and Yang, and that is apparently their rivalry. This is proven when Yang's voice is first heard repeating word for word the orders he gave in the old anime, but with a slight addition. Yang says "I will not lose." The greatest rivalry in this series is that of Reinhard and Yang, there is no doubt of that, but Yang is not supposed to be interested in war. The fact that this new Yang likes to fight, and that Reinhard, upon hearing those orders, and noticing the "I will not lose" shows that this remake will focus on a total rivalry between these two characters, which will subtract charisma, mainly to Yang, and it will subtract protagonism to the other characters.

I understand that this remake wants to look modern, both in the design of characters (Reinhard von Kagami and Sigfried Akashi look cool after all) and in the density of the action, but if that means sacrificing the plot, the characters, the ambitions, I can't like it. The best of GinEiDen always was the story.

This chapter has only focused on showing pure action, and for all the above, I have every reason to think that it will remain that way. There are also 12 episodes, if there is no second season, I can't see a story that hooks the audience enough.

In the same way that you can say "don't be so elitist", I can say "don't underrate an anime that you have not watched just because it's old".

Conclusion, if you want action, spaceships, modern characters and a great rivalry, this is your anime. If you want epicity, history, incredible characters, unexpected twists, or simply to watch the best space opera of all time, you don't even have to know what a space opera is; The original series has been waiting for you for decades.
Apr 3, 2018 2:02 PM

Jul 2015
I think "I will not lose" fits with Yang, he doesn't want to lose but he doesn't care to much about trying his hardest to win, if he can hit a middle line he's fine

and for showing one faction per episode, they did that for the previous series all the time
Sup...
Apr 3, 2018 2:23 PM

Sep 2014
SenpaiJay98 said:
I think "I will not lose" fits with Yang, he doesn't want to lose but he doesn't care to much about trying his hardest to win, if he can hit a middle line he's fine

and for showing one faction per episode, they did that for the previous series all the time

Of course Yang doesn't want to lose but I think Yang was a very humble person in the old anime, and to say "I will not lose" after having relieved the command of a fleet does not seem humble at all. The words are there to introduce the main rivalry bluntly.

And as I say, I don't think it's wrong for a whole chapter to focus on one faction (one faction, maybe not a single character), but it's the first chapter and that gives a very bad impression for what is considered a space opera.
Apr 3, 2018 2:37 PM
Feb 2010
I agree that this will largely be a flop not only with the fanbase but in general. Like you said it is no longer a space opera, but just a space action show. A whole episode was dedicated to things that took half the time in the original, where we had more characters introduced as well as the overarching plot. The artstyle and GCI are not really that bad but they do not fit the universe and especially the ship lasers being turned into projectiles of opposing colors was especially jarring and shows that the target audience of this anime would probably have been "confused" if they were the same color like the original.

And lastly there is the music. The soundtrack was the most characteristic part of the original OVA and seeing it cut greatly diminishes the appeal of the cultural aspects of this universe.
Apr 3, 2018 2:47 PM

Jul 2015
LightSparker said:
SenpaiJay98 said:

Of course Yang doesn't want to lose but I think Yang was a very humble person in the old anime, and to say "I will not lose" after having relieved the command of a fleet does not seem humble at all. The words are there to introduce the main rivalry bluntly.

And as I say, I don't think it's wrong for a whole chapter to focus on one faction (one faction, maybe not a single character), but it's the first chapter and that gives a very bad impression for what is considered a space opera.
If he said "i'll beat them" then I understand you, but not with "I will not lose"

and I would say that introducing each fact in a different episode does better than just cramming so much in one episode
Sup...
Apr 3, 2018 3:08 PM

Aug 2016
You wrote this review with no research beforehand, the second season is already announced...
Apr 3, 2018 3:22 PM
Feb 2016
I saw the first two episodes of the OVA, this episode, and have caught up with what the new manga adaptation has out scanned. If anything, I can see how the OVA is miles better, I honestly didn't feel like I spent 40 minutes watching that even with how old it is. The manga probably did it the best; it starts way way back when Reinhard is a kid and the red head guy met him. We see them grow up with his sister just for the emperor or whatever to come and take the sister away. Here we see Reinhard's goal and how much of a badass he is.
I just hope that we can see in the second episode everything on Yang's perspective to contrast with Reinhard.
Apr 3, 2018 3:25 PM

Oct 2014
... they explicitly said next episode will also be Battle of Astarte, but with the Alliance badge on the background.
Means next episode we will get Yang and the story of that battle from the Alliance point-of-view.
In the OVA they told the two sides hand-in-hand, but in this remake, they split each into separate episodes.

So, they haven't introduce to us the Yang Wen-Li of this remake, and you already slam on him for one original line...
Dude, please, grow up
Apr 3, 2018 3:29 PM
Mar 2010
Its outrageously stupid and unfair to compare 110 episodes worth of content with 1.
Episode 1 of the OVA was dumping too many characters right off the bat. This made it hard to follow and who's who.

If you're gonna compare at least be fair. Your bias and unnecessary hate is taking is over.
Apr 3, 2018 4:12 PM

Jul 2012
There's literally one freaking episode out.

Chill, the first episode of the original series as a standalone would also be terrible.

Too bad none of them is, right? Oh, you didn't noticed that? My bad then.
DanpmssApr 3, 2018 6:27 PM
Apr 3, 2018 6:14 PM

Nov 2017
I'm okay with people watching this remake. BUT I DONT RECOMMEND THIS TO FUJOSHIS.

it's making my blood boil
Apr 3, 2018 6:26 PM

Jul 2015
I agree with the majority here.

Recommend or not when this season finishes. It is too early to tell if the director's approach of introducing the world and characters are flawed.

Apr 3, 2018 6:31 PM

Sep 2010
I would say that so far the first episode definitely wasn't bad. I am not sure how someone new to the franchise would feel about it but at the very least this could definitely be much much worse.

More importantly I highly doubt that anyone who watched and loved the original will suddenally start do dislike franchise because they watched this series... on the other hand there might be an influx of new fans who after watching the first season will want more and they will watch the greatness which is the Original.

If there is only any problem then it would be FUJOSHIS jumping on the ship but it's not like we never had them with us before.
Apr 3, 2018 6:33 PM

Jul 2015
eso18 said:

If there is only any problem then it would be FUJOSHIS jumping on the ship but it's not like we never had them with us before.

This is a problem that solves itself.

Apr 4, 2018 5:25 AM

Sep 2014
LuceoEtzio said:
The first episode of the original series was a total clusterfuck of name dropping that doesn't make much sense at all until you have gone through and seen a good amount of the series, that's why Overture to a New War was made, as a better intro to the series.

And since this is only an adaptation of the the first novel, there's no need to shove in people who don't appear until much later in full, like Adrian Rubinsky.

You're right, there's no need to introduce characters, and that's exactly what I'm criticizing. If this series does not intend to introduce characters during the Battle of Astarte, this battle loses all sense, because it's the only battle in the whole series where there is nothing at stake except a better positioning in Astarte. Therefore, the only reason to show the Battle of Astarte without introducing characters (or show some plot) is pure action, as I said.

Introducing all the characters in the first episodes may not be the best idea in the world, but watching all those characters interact it's very easy and quick to know the context of the GinEiDen universe. In addition the first two episodes of the OVAs close a circle much more important than introducing characters, and it is to present the general idea of ​​the series. On the other hand, in this first chapter there are thousands of questions that we don't know, it's like walking blindly. Or perhaps thousands of elements of the plot and context have been simplified, an option that seems even worse to me.

Revvie-chan said:
... they explicitly said next episode will also be Battle of Astarte, but with the Alliance badge on the background.
Means next episode we will get Yang and the story of that battle from the Alliance point-of-view.
In the OVA they told the two sides hand-in-hand, but in this remake, they split each into separate episodes.

That's not what worries me, you have not understood my review.

Revvie-chan said:
So, they haven't introduce to us the Yang Wen-Li of this remake, and you already slam on him for one original line...

I'm not slamming nobody. I have only said that it is a line contrary to the character's old personality that invites confrontation.

excalibur977436 said:
Its outrageously stupid and unfair to compare 110 episodes worth of content with 1.
Episode 1 of the OVA was dumping too many characters right off the bat. This made it hard to follow and who's who.

You're right that presenting so many characters at once is not ideal, I talk about it above, but I'm not comparing 1 episode with 110, the Battle of Astarte are 2 episodes in the OVAs. Anyway, I think 25 minutes are more than enough to know, or at least intuit, what this adaptation is about.

excalibur977436 said:
If you're gonna compare at least be fair. Your bias and unnecessary hate is taking is over.

As always, you make a negative criticism, and people think you're hating. It's an opinion, it does not bite. Comparing is inevitable if they are adaptations of the same novels.

Danpmss said:
There's literally one freaking episode out.

Chill, the first episode of the original series as a standalone would also be terrible.

I don't like to judge an anime just for the first episode either. Normally, in an anime series, the first episodes are the key to decide whether or not to watch the anime. Sometimes it is worth waiting for the third or fourth to drop. And in my opinion, in this case, the first one is enough.

AdrianRubinsky said:
Recommend or not when this season finishes. It is too early to tell if the director's approach of introducing the world and characters are flawed.

I wish I am wrong, and I have to ask forgiveness on your knees (no irony), but when something starts good it usually ends good, and when it starts bad it usually ends bad. There are exceptions, but apparently this does not look like it.

eso18 said:
I would say that so far the first episode definitely wasn't bad. I am not sure how someone new to the franchise would feel about it but at the very least this could definitely be much much worse.

More importantly I highly doubt that anyone who watched and loved the original will suddenally start do dislike franchise because they watched this series... on the other hand there might be an influx of new fans who after watching the first season will want more and they will watch the greatness which is the Original.

I have never said that this adaptation seems bad to me, as seasonal anime it's fine, just if it is going to be worse than the old one I don't recommend it. You say that there may be people who, watching this season, would want to watch the old one, but there are many people waiting for this new adaptation to avoid watching the old one, and not only that, but if people watch this new adaptation and think GinEiDen is not so good as they say, they will lose all interest in watching the old one.

And even if the anime improves and I am wrong with almost everything, it will still seem to me a pretty bad first episode attempt to reborn a legendary series.
Apr 4, 2018 8:58 AM

Jan 2013
Implying this isn't better than the original.
Apr 4, 2018 11:12 AM

Oct 2014
LightSparker said:

Revvie-chan said:

That's not what worries me, you have not understood my review.

,,,, but that's exactly what I read and replied.
You wrote about that there's 3 times less plot on this part of the story on the remake currently.
Also you are "worried" about them only telling the story from Reinhardt's point-of-view on episode 1, which you said, in your words:
It does not seem bad if it's only for one chapter, the problem is that so far, limiting the point of view to a character, it shows three times less plot than the old, and I thought the old animes had slow pace...

Well, I said it: next episode we will get Yang's side of the story. Not much plot loss, really.
They simply split the two, and delay the introduction of a bunch of characters whose relevancy are only for later, for the sake of giving more room and time for those dialogues between Reinhardt and Kircheis, and also for those well-animated change of expressions.

LightSparker said:

Revvie-chan said:

I'm not slamming nobody. I have only said that it is a line contrary to the character's old personality that invites confrontation.

Sorry, I shouldn't have used the word 'slam'.
But what I meant is exactly what you said again to me: you already assume that that line is going to be contrary to Yang's personality, when... they haven't introduce to us the Yang Wen-Li of this adaptation. When we can't be sure yet whether this Yang will be the same old war-hater student of human nature, or different.

Sorry, apart from more focus on the rivalry part (which tbh I also don't see it as a problem,) I don't see why the other issues might be a problem. For now, at least.

ps.: It's you who have not understood my reply. I know you're setting up for a review, but you're writing a (imo,) negative review based on 1 episode, and then you posted it here, instead of keeping it private for now. Isn't that no different than the usual shittalking?
Apr 4, 2018 11:25 AM

Feb 2018
eso18 said:

As someone new I can say I enjoyed it a lot. I watched it with 4 other people who have also not seen the original and they're very excited for what's in store.

LightSparker said:

I have never said that this adaptation seems bad to me, as seasonal anime it's fine, just if it is going to be worse than the old one I don't recommend it. You say that there may be people who, watching this season, would want to watch the old one, but there are many people waiting for this new adaptation to avoid watching the old one, and not only that, but if people watch this new adaptation and think GinEiDen is not so good as they say, they will lose all interest in watching the old one.

And even if the anime improves and I am wrong with almost everything, it will still seem to me a pretty bad first episode attempt to reborn a legendary series.

I think there may be people who were waiting for this new adaptation to avoid watching the old one altogether but I think you're underestimating the amount of young people (like me) who never saw the old one but realized this was so close and decided to watch this instead of rushing to finish 110 episodes of the OVA. This could very well pique the interest of young fans and some of them may end up watching the OVA as well.

I also think way too many people are getting caught up in this notion that we should expect the OVA and Die Neue These to be very similar because they're both adaptations of the same source material. The core similarity should be in how accurately the story is adapted. Reading some comments from fans of the old series, many said the story so far is perfectly accurate with the only difference being how it has been portrayed. This is what we should expect - a different director and team with their own interpretation of the source material. We don't have to choose one or the other. We can have both and so far there's no reason not to.

(Interview with the director: https://driftingtranslator.wordpress.com/2018/03/02/ginga-eiyuu-densetsu-die-neue-these-interview-with-tada-shunsuke-director/)
NaisuuApr 4, 2018 12:55 PM

I met the devil and god
and couldn't tell them apart.
Apr 4, 2018 5:57 PM

Jun 2013
LightSparker said:

There is another intriguing issue in the future relationship between Reinhard and Yang, and that is apparently their rivalry. This is proven when Yang's voice is first heard repeating word for word the orders he gave in the old anime, but with a slight addition. Yang says "I will not lose." The greatest rivalry in this series is that of Reinhard and Yang, there is no doubt of that, but Yang is not supposed to be interested in war. The fact that this new Yang likes to fight, and that Reinhard, upon hearing those orders, and noticing the "I will not lose" shows that this remake will focus on a total rivalry between these two characters, which will subtract charisma, mainly to Yang, and it will subtract protagonism to the other characters.

I'd say it is too early to make a conclusion about Yang in this new adaptation. Firstly, we have only seen Reinhard's POV in episode 1. There are strong signs that episode 2 would focus on Yang's POV, thus fleshing out the Alliance.

Secondly, Yang saying "I will not lose" is actually a translation issue. In the original Japanese he merely said 負けはしない (make wa shinai), which can also be translated as "we will not lose". That is used in the Central Anime subs for Overture to a New War. In addition, his previous sentence was also translated in a way to make him sound more aggressive than he is. In the original Japanese Yang said わが部隊は現在のところ負けているが、要は最後の瞬間に勝っていればいいのだ (waga butai wa genzai no tokoro maketeiru ga, you wa saigo no shunkan ni katteireba ii no da). This is translated here in Die Neue These as "my squadron is losing the battle at the moment, but all that matters is that I win at the very end". However, in this context it would be more accurate to say "our fleet" instead of "my squadron", and "we win" instead of "I win". For comparison, the Central Anime subs for Overture to a New War has Yang saying "we're losing at present, but the essential thing is that we should win at the last moment" (the first part of the original Japanese sentence is altered slightly, but the second part is word-for-word with the novels).

Finally, because we are hearing Yang's transmission through Reinhard's POV, we don't get to see that right after he uttered such a sentence that is quite unlike of him (even discounting the translation issue) he actually admitted ruefully that he is bragging. This will probably be shown in episode 2.

In short, I would wait for a few more episodes before judging this adaptation with regards to characterisation.
Apr 5, 2018 1:24 AM
Oct 2012
I recall distinctly how I almost dropped the OVA after two episodes. But of course, in the grand scheme of things, it's brilliant.
Apr 5, 2018 5:11 AM
May 2007
I do feel WenLi's introduction is saved to the end for tension and I think it works. Remember in the point of view of the Galactic Empire, they think of him as terrifying and I think this episode does a great job of porting that point of view. This is only one episode so far so as it progresses, I am sure it will find its voice in retelling the original story with a sense of freshness.
Apr 5, 2018 5:12 AM

Mar 2007
So hype over the Rozen Ritters. And Poplan. Fucking Poplan.
Apr 5, 2018 8:23 AM
Nov 2017
I watched ep. 1.
I think the graphics is modest, but logic used in this adaption is rather out of date.
The novel this adaption is based on was written around '80s, and this adaption inherits almost the same login used in the novel. Do you really satisfy the obsolete strategy in that era? I am not. The war battle in ep.1 proves that. The Yang's side was too stupid in the anime.Perhaps, A.I. in the XCOM2 is 100 times smarter than Yang's side in episode 1.
Apr 5, 2018 8:41 AM
Oct 2012
It wasn't bad I still dislike the new designs and the way they cut out Yang's side was questionable but I assume he will get more focus next ep. Though they did miss some details out, I found a good comparison video and basically old version more philosophical and detailed compared to the new one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tnbQIjYUKE

But well some anime fans are fussy and hate things because they're old I'm sure this will not be as slow in terms of pacing which is a sad thing for me as all the details about the plot and characters will be cut but this will appeal to some fans who may have found the original boring or hate old animation .

BTW if you can tolerate old animation and don't mind anime with a lot of dialogue then do watch the 80s version I agree it is better.
JoeGar96Apr 14, 2018 9:51 AM
Apr 5, 2018 8:37 PM
Jul 2018
I don't think this is a bad watching, even for those who love the OVA series. Surely, it seems inferior to the OVA in many ways, but it's a new recap from a brand new pesperctive. If it end up being a crap anime, you can just ignore it, this wouldn't affect at all the meaning of the OVA series that, in my opinion, is the greatest anime of all time.
Apr 6, 2018 8:30 AM
Jul 2018
LightSparker said:

Hi, I don't usually make reviews, they are usually longer than useful but I'm forced to do this. I'm not going to bore you by telling you technical details, I'll just tell you my humble opinion.

Best 3D animation I have ever seen, and very high quality animation in general. The OST is quite good since it's inspirated in classical music of old series but with a new fresh and vivid sound. And that's all the good things I can tell about this remake.

I'm not a hater of remakes or adaptations, or a lover of old anime, I'm just a lover of the original GinEiDen. I had no intention of criticizing this, however after this first chapter, it is clear to me that watching this adaptation instead of the first one is a waste of time, and I will explain why.

As in the old anime, this begins by narrating the Battle of Astarte. In the old anime, this battle does not have a great weight in the plot, unlike the rest of the battles, its mission is to introduce 90% of the important characters that will appear later in the 110 episodes of the OVA. However, in the first chapter there have been some... four important characters? Then I ask myself, for what purpose is this battle offered?

At the moment this anime, unlike the old, focuses almost completely on Reinhard's point of view. It does not seem bad if it's only for one chapter, the problem is that so far, limiting the point of view to a character, it shows three times less plot than the old, and I thought the old animes had slow pace...

I understand that this remake wants to look modern, both in the design of characters (Reinhard von Kagami and Sigfried Akashi look cool after all) and in the density of the action, but if that means sacrificing the plot, the characters, the ambitions, I can't like it. The best of GinEiDen always was the story.

This chapter has only focused on showing pure action, and for all the above, I have every reason to think that it will remain that way. There are also 12 episodes, if there is no second season, I can't see a story that hooks the audience enough.

In the same way that you can say "don't be so elitist", I can say "don't underrate an anime that you have not watched just because it's old".

Conclusion, if you want action, spaceships, modern characters and a great rivalry, this is your anime. If you want epicity, history, incredible characters, unexpected twists, or simply to watch the best space opera of all time, you don't even have to know what a space opera is; The original series has been waiting for you for decades.
finally some actual criticism and not just elitist complaining. Thanks.
But i still found this episode great. I haven’t finished the old one yet, but as a first episode, the old one was horrible. It introduced way too many characters at the same time for a person to comprehend and mostly pushed away the viewer from the show. Note that i’m talking about the first episode alone.
The new first episode was a great way to start the anime. Not too many things thrown at my face. And the pacing looks fine too.
Also, didn’t Yang say something similar in the old one?
And about the second season, there are 3 movies coming after this. Although they don’t plan to adapt all with the series and movies if they follow the same pace
Apr 6, 2018 9:11 AM

Dec 2010
I have no intention of watching the old anime for one hate the art and it is an anime I think most elitists watch I will be watching Funimation's dub of this remake it when it premieres.
Apr 6, 2018 6:09 PM
Apr 2018
Episode 1 is a mix of Chapters 2 In Eternal Night and 3 The Battle of Astarte in the volume 1 of the novel. Now Episode 2 surely will be the adaptation of the FPA side of Chapter 3 because Chapter 2 of the novel is all about in the point of view of the Galactic Empire mainly Reinhard and some background of Yang.

Now this is staying true to the novel now the OVA which many people are saying that it's better, remember the word OVA they added a lot of things which can't be found in the novel. I won't say them one by one just read the novel or download an audiobook of it. Think of this adaptation as the novel adaptation without or few additional new scenes.
Apr 9, 2018 12:41 PM
Feb 2017
cool story bro, tell it again
Apr 9, 2018 4:26 PM

Dec 2013
I hope this gets dubbed so I can finally show my sister the best anime ever since she wont see anything unless its dubbed since shes a retard
I shall destroy and hate mankind
Apr 11, 2018 5:23 PM
Oct 2016
Agree largely with OP and the general sentiment of this thread - I just wanted to voice my own small take on the old Yang because he was by far the most compelling character.

Yang was a very reluctant participant in the entire war, every step of the way he would have rather not been there and would have rather not have had any losses on either side. It wasn't so much that he was a pacifist, but he always empathized with his opponent and never saw war as "a game" in which he was going to win. He had a very humble sort of confidence and even humility. He was always triaging the situation as best he could as he came up. This is directly tied to his "origin story" of becoming a hero- he didn't seek it out it was sort of "by accident" but not - he stuck to his morals and concept of honor but never thought he did anything special in the evacuation of (I don't recall the planet).

This follows him as a consistent trait through the whole series. He quietly evaluates then tries very hard to take the path of the least resistance and the least amount of death if it means a favorable outcome overall.

He never sought a rival and it wouldn't really occur to him "to have one" he's got more important shit to deal with than some sort of high-school drama. A very maturely written character. Now, his respect for his opponents was not the same as a "Rivalry" in the modern Anime sense of the dynamic - this is also lost.

None of the above is a secret or hidden, at all in Yangs character arc, it's very much the core to his story and a major thread to LotGH.
Apr 12, 2018 5:42 AM

Sep 2014
Well, thank you all for understanding so well the general idea of my thread, which is not to hate this series, but to put the old one in a higher place. Although many of us have opposing positions, I can agree with almost everything that is exposed here thanks to the willingness to listen and the quality of the arguments. That speaks very well of how extraordinary the MAL community is.

I have not spoken badly about the art of the series, because honestly it is what matters least to me, and because it is the easiest thing to criticize. But, I still have to add why I think that this art is not the most suitable for this series. Although in the old version the art was discussed, it had the facility of providing unique facial features for each character.

Faces like this one is only one in the entire history of anime.

Faces like this there are thousands.

And this also speaks quite well of what this new adaptation intends to be.
Apr 15, 2018 12:45 PM

Dec 2013
So should I watch this remake first or the original OVA? I was planning on starting this series soon but I'm lost as to where I should start.
Apr 15, 2018 12:54 PM

Oct 2017
RealMTL said:
So should I watch this remake first or the original OVA? I was planning on starting this series soon but I'm lost as to where I should start.

Honestly just watch both that is what I have been doing and so far I have been enjoying myself. Coming from a new fan the changes aren't as drastic (in fact fairly minimal and any other changes seem to be as a result to be more faithful to the book from what I have heard) as what many might like to believe from the first two episodes if you don't have a problem with the remake's art style there really isn't a problem just watching the remake. However, the remake has only been confirmed to do 2 of the 10 novels whereas the original has it fully adapted (this season will cover the first book) and even if it does sell well in Japan its going to take a while to adapt everything just something to keep in mind.

BilboBaggins365Apr 15, 2018 12:57 PM
May 7, 2018 12:41 AM

Mar 2009
LalatinaDarkness said:
I'm okay with people watching this remake. BUT I DONT RECOMMEND THIS TO FUJOSHIS.

Why? LoGH has always been intensely gay, especially between Reuenthal and Mittens, and of course we all know

May 9, 2018 10:14 PM

Nov 2017
Claptrap said:
LalatinaDarkness said:

Why? LoGH has always been intensely gay, especially between Reuenthal and Mittens, and of course we all know

Lmao :D thanks

But they're manly, manly gays.
May 25, 2018 2:51 AM

May 2010
RealMTL said:

Well, it's a hard question.

If you want to first watch the remake, then it may as well takes years, since we don't really know how long it's going to be.

If you first want to watch the original OVA, then... maybe you will no longer be able to enjoy the remake.

Personally, I think you may watch the original OVA, since it's complete and available, and it was THE FIRST version, after all. It will give you a better perspective. I watched the original 3 times and read so far 5 of 10 volumes of the novel, and I find the remake the worse adaptation. It doesn't stick to the novel as much as OVA did, and it doesn't develop the characters the same way. So far, the only thing that remake does better is animation, which is obvious since the two anime are nearly 30 years apart.
May 25, 2018 2:53 AM

May 2010
LightSparker said:
Although in the old version the art was discussed, it had the facility of providing unique facial features for each character.

Faces like this one is only one in the entire history of anime.

Faces like this there are thousands.

EXACTLY!!! That''s the point!
May 25, 2018 3:36 AM

Nov 2016
clio_selene said:

If you first want to watch the original OVA, then... maybe you will no longer be able to enjoy the remake.

Plenty of people who have watched the OVA and read the novel are now also enjoying DNT, or conversely people who started with the new one are enjoying the old versions, so I don't see what the problem is.

It doesn't stick to the novel as much as OVA did

The opposite is true, DNT is significantly more faithful to the novels - compared to the OVA's first novel adaptation (eps 1-16) which changed many scenes, altered the introduction of some characters and information, added whole anime-original episodes, and changed some characterisation details. DNT is not perfectly accurate either, but undoubtedly it's the one that's closer to the source material.

Anyway, looking back at the OP of this thread, it's interesting how much pretty much everything he argued was either provably incorrect at the time or has been shown to be wrong as DNT has progressed. Don't count your chickens before they hatch, and all that.
May 25, 2018 3:46 AM

May 2010
[quote=Yorkshire_Megan message=55348950]
clio_selene said:

DNT is significantly more faithful to the novels (...) DNT is not perfectly accurate either, but undoubtedly it's the one that's closer to the source material.

Certainly not in regard to the characteristics.
May 27, 2018 6:22 AM
Jun 2016
I watched original OVA and the two gaiden series

I can say this, this reboot so far has been great

in fact this is giving more different stories of characters while keeping the overall story the same

I can say this straight up, episode 7 (capture of isserlohn) was better in this that the original

The first two episodes were also better in some regards

Jun 12, 2021 3:45 AM
Nov 2019
LightSparker said:

Actually, Yang is still a pacifist in this version too. And the more episodes went by it actually didn't remain fixated to their rivalry.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

13 by ItachiDeltaForce »»
Jul 11, 2:00 PM

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.