Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2014 7:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Cheers~

That party scene made me face palm hard. Tokimume is reminded more of the memories of his sister. Well yeah, he shouldn't give up fighting for what he believes in. The rage from him is understandable though since the Captain kinda resulted in her death. I also found the episode kinda amusing since I think there was a talk about a sub-coordinate hitting his superior. Lol, and look what happened this episode.
Stark700Sep 11, 2014 9:04 AM
Sep 11, 2014 9:53 AM

Mar 2012
This gets way better compared to the beginning of the series.
Sep 11, 2014 10:30 AM

Nov 2011
Well that was stupid move from Captain. I bet that revelation gonna do wonders to Tokimune's fighting spirit:D And im sincerely suprised ,that there were any consequences assaulting the Captain. Considering all those times Tokimune ignored orders and started playing hero and how he got little slap onto wrists those times.
OnbuuSep 11, 2014 10:36 AM
Sep 11, 2014 11:20 AM
Nov 2010
I do think it was somewhat stupid on the Captain's part. I think some of it is because the Captain blames himself, especially based on that photo that they had an intimate relationship and worked together. He wanted to tell the Private the truth but I got the feeling from the dialogue that he was somewhat generally summarizing and twisting it a bit so that it'd make him feel more responsible for it. He knew, I'm sure, that the Private would probably punch him for admitting that he could've stopped it but let his sister die anyways. And like you said, does little for Private Susumu's morale as well. Seeing him tear up and then jump and wail on him- seemed pretty human to me. He's not going to get any sort of punishment. Both the Captain and XO know it was the Captain's fault and that most likely anyone would try to attack the bearer of bad news. I also thought they got it right, the Captain trying to play it off, the XO trying to calm down the senior enlisted from giving the Private a world of hurt for striking a superior officer, and the XO going to explain things because the Captain worded it in such a way that it would be grossly generalized and make him the seat of anger for Susumu's sister's death.

Which makes me think the enjoyable part of this series is the human element they try to bring into it. They try to contrast the war and the human element of the soldiers but with a large female to male ratio in to it. Which makes it a bit more relaxed and cheerful than the reality of the situation. Seeing Jaime and Susumu go at it was pretty cute. x3 And "Drunk girls are sexy-" so funny. =P

Can't wait to see where they take this.
Sep 11, 2014 11:42 AM

Apr 2010
So we learned a bit more about Tokimune's sister but we still don't know what happened to her in full extent, we know that the captain was involved somehow.
However something tells my he meant it figuratively when he said he could stop her, not as someone in commend but as someone close to her.
Judging from the end of this episode the executive officer was going to tell was happened, and judging from the preview things will be explained next episode.

The captain knew what would happen by telling Tokimune what happened to his sister the way he did.
So i think he did it on purpose this way, like he was feeling some guilt and wanted to be punished in some kind of way.
It looked like he wanted to be hit.
Sep 11, 2014 12:26 PM
Jul 2018
It was a meh episode.

We learned a bit about Tokimune's sister. The Captain told Tokimune that he killed his sister.
Sep 11, 2014 12:33 PM

Apr 2013
Aversa said:
The captain knew what would happen by telling Tokimune what happened to his sister the way he did.
So i think he did it on purpose this way, like he was feeling some guilt and wanted to be punished in some kind of way.
It looked like he wanted to be hit.

Didn't that dude at the beggining told the captain something about hitting a superior? The captain did it on purpose but I think he was following an order.
Sep 11, 2014 12:35 PM
Jan 2013
Oh a revelation, frankly why would the Capt take responsibility for the death of Tokimune's sister, she did knew from the start that it would fail and yet she did it anyway?

I guessing that the experiment has something to do with the earlier version of the Agvo.
Sep 11, 2014 1:52 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm pretty sure her death will have something to with the development of the Argevollen. Maybe we'll get to see some kind of Evangelion like inspiration soon.

I think the Captain walking straight up to Tokimune and telling him about his sister, is very much in keeping with his straight talking ways. It's much more interesting that he comes out with it instead of keeping it to himself.

The conversation between the Captain and the General was very uncomfortable. It'll be interesting to see what kind of weird agenda that guy has.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 11, 2014 2:05 PM

Jul 2013
This episode was called Rage which is really deceptive as i thought there was going to be some bigass battle or something but instead made me rage because the only instance of actual rage was during the final 4 minutes of this episode.

With that said however, although 90% of this ep was typical bs where Unit 8 is fckin around out of uniform, i was just happy to see some sort of plot development with the main characters.

This better not turn into some evangelion rip off where Tokimune's sister was somehow used in the creation argevollen. I doubt they'll take that route but I wouldn't be totally surprised if they did.
The best anime is the Road to El Dorado
Sep 11, 2014 2:38 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
General Cowen is an easygoing, chance-take guy. I like how casually he asked Samonji if he slept with Suzushiro. XD
Of course, Samonji wouldn't go with his flow.

Those aptitude test questions made no sense, even though they can somehow be used to analyze Tokimune's mental state.
Silfy stopping Lorenzo from saying which body part he washes first was hilarious! She already knows without him saying. :p

Party for Okui's leadership was fun. Lol'd at how he was interrupted before he finished his speech. XD

Tokimune's actions are understandable to an extent, but when Samoni said he killed his sister, he should've known it wasn't all like that.
Damn, I though Suzushiro was going to beat up Tokimune pretty good at the end. That fierce look though! :O

Average episode. Tokimune now has a good chance to develop his character as a MC, that is, if he drops the revenge motive and goes solely after the Ingelmians.

Sep 11, 2014 4:33 PM

Jun 2013
damn that guy is such an asshole
Sep 11, 2014 4:48 PM

Aug 2013
Finally it was revealed the link between sister of Tokimune and the captain, it was good to see Tokimune punching one captain (do not like this character), I think next episode will be shown more details
I missed of the combat in this episode, after all like how this anime portrays the war ..
Sep 11, 2014 4:55 PM

Jun 2014
Well, kinda saw that coming...
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Sep 11, 2014 5:22 PM

Mar 2009
Really good episode this week. One of the best yet.
Sep 11, 2014 5:35 PM
Dec 2012
Arandas knows they're going to lose the war. Why not surrender? or work out some deal to end the war? Want to see more Izumi. Samonji's friend.

Ingelmian's are apparently hitting them hard. Which we haven't seen much of at all since the first episode.

The superior knew that Samonji would tell Tokimune. He mentioned it might be necessary to change things, even if it means punching an officer. We all knew what would happen afterwards. What will be the bigger change though?, that remains to be seen. Also what was with that question? Asking Samonji if he had already slept with Suzushiro?

Samonji was being particularly harsh with his revelation though. I think it may have been on purpose and he knew what the superior was thinking. Hence the alcohol prior to telling Tokimune. Although what will be Tokimunes punishment? He hasn't been punished for anything up until now. So why would that change?

Samonji made it out to Tokimune that he had no involvement with his sister romantically or otherwise. Calling her lonely and a guinea pig? What was the cause of her death? Perhaps she knew some secret... and had to be taken care of.

They're going back to Bellhals? The tragedy of Argent Point?
It seems we'll finally know what happened to his sister "Reika Nanjou" in the coming episode.
sosmetalSep 11, 2014 8:49 PM
Sep 11, 2014 6:18 PM

Jul 2010
Well, let's start saying that Reika's death is not obviously Samonji's fault but he still feels responsable for her death though. Why did he openly provoked Tokimune? I mean, he obviously wanted to let him know about his sister's death but that's not the only reason I think, he was too provocative as he seemed he wanted to be beaten up.

Anyway FINALLY, things are starting up, it was about time.
Sep 11, 2014 6:19 PM

Apr 2014
Remember how Samonji acted when Tokimune said Argevollen is his "destiny"? Well, if his sister was involved in something related to Argevollen, then that destiny part isn't so far-fetched, which would account for Samonji's look of sudden realization at the moment.
Sep 11, 2014 7:10 PM

Aug 2012
The episode did a really good job of building up to the "Rage" by subtly getting us into Samonji's head before revealing his truest feelings on the subject of Nanjou's death, which was obviously going to spur Tokimune's rage. The conversation with Cowen gave a glimpse of Samonji's rage and inner demons(with some damn uneasy music), and resurfaced every bit of guilt he holds. The mention of hitting a superior officer was to add to that characterization, as well as to put the bug in Samonji's head that a private, when provoked enough, will be reckless enough to punch a superior officer. The exchange between the two served as parallel to the exchange between Samonji and Tokimune, showing Samonji's development in that he was once on the "aggravated" side, and now he can both stay calm when aggravated and utilize the skill of the "aggravater". The obvious reason is to show the parallel between Samonji and Tokimune, and get the ball really rolling on what Tokimune needs to change about himself in order to achieve his goal.

The scene where he heard Tokimune say what Argevollen is to him probably completed the connection in his mind between the desire to be punished for his lack of action, and the convenience of having someone connected that has every right to do the punishing. Tokimune's words likely made Samonji realize that his sister is his every motivation, which confirmed the severity of the connection. That's when he knew he had to let Tokimune take it out on him.

The bar scene made it clear Samonji was provoking him, and probably less so because he felt Tokimune deserved it, but because he strongly desired to be punished by someone with a connection. This showed the weakness in his character, since he did this for neither Tokimune's sake or his own. He won't feel any better about it, and Tokimune certainly isn't feeling better about it at the moment.

The buildup to that clash of emotions was great. The portrayal of human emotions continues to be a strongsuit of the show.
AlexTheRiotSep 11, 2014 7:24 PM
Sep 11, 2014 8:45 PM

Jan 2011
Some nice subtleties there when the Captain insults the General by refusing to drink with him. Even though I think they are both involved with some type of a plot to change the leadership of the war, I don't think the Captain likes him at all and I suspect it has something to do with the death of Tokimune's sister. It's already pretty clear that the Captain was in love with Nanjou, and now his Exec is in love with him.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Sep 11, 2014 10:27 PM

Mar 2008
I hope Tokimune slaughters them all. I know I would.
Sep 12, 2014 1:01 AM

Apr 2012
nice plot development in this episode although everything still seems very vague. Looks like next episode will elaborate more on the experiments. What a total buzz kill of a conversation to have at a bar lol.

Sep 12, 2014 4:10 AM

Jul 2013
and this was a great episode, some of the best up till now
nice feeling when tokimune punched samonji
i feel bad for him though, hearing that from is sister
Sep 12, 2014 5:12 AM

Jul 2014
This ep feels so quick O.o it feels like I was only watching for 10 minutes, and "What? Just that? I want moreeee" :D

Samonji clearly provoking Tokimune to hit him, hell it doesn't change anything now, does it?

also maybe this is just me but seeing Samonji reminds me of Kiritsugu Emiya from Fate/Zero .__.
"All things are poison, and nothing is without poison; only the dose permits something not to be poisonous"

PROJECT-ERASER
Sep 12, 2014 7:52 PM

Apr 2013
Well that was lame. I was thinking his sister's death was going to be more interesting but she died in an experiment she willingly took part in. He can't really blame anyone including the captain because it was her choice. -_-
Sep 13, 2014 1:07 AM

May 2013
Lmao the face expressions in this episode. Especially when Tokimune punched the Captain!
The world shall know the truth soon.
Sep 13, 2014 8:01 AM

Nov 2013
Would have been nice if they didn't spend too much time on the party. So it turns out Samonji didn't know about Tokimune's sister (as in he didn't know they were siblings). That's interesting, this means he didn't go easy on him earlier because of his sister (at least not directly). I think the incident with Tokimune's sister is what made Samonji care about his subordinates' lives so much that he's willing to overlook some disobedience (even messing up his superiors plans as we've seen a couple of episodes ago).

The way he just told Tokimune everything was really retarded. I still don't fully understand what goes through his head tbh though, next episode will have some flashbacks and back story revelations so maybe we'll get to understand him more/better. It should be interesting.

3/5
Sep 13, 2014 5:47 PM

Oct 2013
this episode was pretty good I liked it when Jamie was questioning him that was amusing XD
ending was a little sad
fuck that guy in the beginning man he's an asshole
[/quote]
Sep 13, 2014 5:57 PM

Apr 2012
The truth always painful, i feel sorry for Tokimune.

and i can understand why Tokimune rage because that her older sister die as guinea pigs.
AcezHarfianzSep 13, 2014 10:41 PM

Sep 14, 2014 8:02 AM

Jul 2011
Great episode! Just wondering if Susumu is just gonna stay in the in the captains unit despite all of this.
Sep 14, 2014 7:58 PM
Mar 2013
Damn...beating up the captain and what not...way 2 go Tokimune.

Though I guess if you have been looking for answers then the one you get is "I killed you sister" I would go crazy too.

Really fast episode though. I was really into this one. Loads of suspense.
Sep 15, 2014 4:31 PM

Jan 2011
So, does that make 10 out of..how many people are in their unit again? I don't think Tokimune punched a superior officer before?

Anyways, unless the general was talking about all people ever working below Samonji, so any previous squads, like when he was working with Tokimune's sister, literally everyone in Indepentent Unit 8 punched a superior officer.

Might be punching really changes things, given how they are rather effective compared to the rest of the army.
Sep 17, 2014 10:18 AM

Dec 2013
What can I say. Called it like 9 episodes back.

Could see this development coming from a mile away. The only amusing thing about this boring episode was watching Jamie getting humped on the couch by the drunk mechanic girl.

Can't wait for the reveal in the next episode, though I pretty much bet that the Vice isn't going to reveal TOO much to Tokimune, since it's all top secret stuff.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Sep 18, 2014 4:29 PM

Feb 2010
Even though we knew it was coming, it was great the way it was handled. Samonji was definitely provoking Tokimune there. Probably because he feels responsible for what happened to Tokimune's sister. Will be interesting to see how they interact with each other from here.
Sep 19, 2014 6:57 PM

Aug 2013
Finally confirmed what happened to Tokimune's sister! Seeing as it was described as fate that Tokimune now pilots Argevollen, I imagine she was killed during it's development or testing. I'm glad that Samonji finally knows that Tokimune was the sister of Reika Nanjou as it'll be interesting to see how their interactions with each other change from here on. Bring on the next episode!
Sep 20, 2014 6:51 PM

Sep 2011
This is the type of episode i wanted from argevellon yet they always avoided, we finally saw an episode with real human drama, i legitimately thought the characterization was pretty strong this episode and for the first time in the series it actually felt like this exsisted for the purpouse of building up a future event

This series has been a rough ride but i sincerly hope it pulls itself together for its 2nd half, cause if it doesnt do it soon this is beyond saving, but it still has that chance. Episode 12 please dont let me down like ep 10 did

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 24, 2014 5:30 AM

Jun 2010
Weel this series it's stating to become better, good episode BTW,
Oct 8, 2014 4:06 AM

Nov 2011
4/5

Episode that explores the secrets of the past, a good excuse to start the subplot concerning some facts to us obscure.
Narrative altogether pleasant and suitable to prepare the ground for future events, I like it!
Designs unfortunately go back to being ugly, oh well!
This TV series is not having dips in the plot even got here, really a surprise, given the little charm that is having on the public.
Nov 7, 2014 3:24 PM

Jun 2011
"By the way, have you slept with the girl outside?"
Are you fucking serious? I don't know what's going in the writer's head when he thought up of dialogue like this. That man, whoever the fuck he is, the one who said that, man do I hate him. The captain should've backed out when the fucker was teasing to tell him the secret. It's like, what the fuck man if you want to tell him then tell him, if you don't, then fucking don't. It's not like the captain is interested. I hope the guy get his dick bitten off by a piranha.

I wonder if 13 episodes will do for the series iif you trim down all the useless parts. Then they could also have better budget by saving a cour length of animation.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 11, 2016 9:26 PM

Aug 2013
The to and forth married couple interview was funny.
I'm fine with the yuri action but the sudden fan service here and there really doesn't fit well though.
I usually hope the the mc turns antihero on us when it comes to this, but that probably won't happen here.
At long last they'll start to explain his onee-chan's circumstances.
This is the real turning point.
Jan 14, 2017 8:49 PM

Nov 2013
The cat is out of the bag now.

Tokimune now is a member of the "Hitting Your Superior Club".
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2014

72 by oooo3333 »»
Dec 6, 2020 12:07 AM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2014

31 by oooo3333 »»
Nov 25, 2020 1:21 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

74 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 16, 2017 7:10 PM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

76 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 11, 2017 7:26 AM

Poll: » Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

91 by SakurasouBusters »»
Mar 10, 2017 1:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.