Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 28, 2010 3:56 PM

Jul 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
well i really really didn't think that it would be this paaring in the end. that she marrys the teacher in the end is really a little strange. but overall i liked this anime. sad that there are only 5 episodes. well i will read the manga there was standing somewhere that the ending in the anime is a other than in the manga hope i will find it complette somewhere.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
Jan 10, 2011 5:12 PM

Sep 2009
I real hated this ending, what was all the efort of those 2 for then? well not only hated the ending that i was hating the other guy being friendly with the other, but hell she is young to marry the old teacher, god can never understand it...
Aug 25, 2011 12:47 PM
Feb 2009
The manga has an open ending and doesn't really tell us which one of boys Minatsu finally chose. It was implied that she end up with teacher, though.

As for me the ending is quite okay. I can understand her choice, even if the teacher is the way he is. I think marrying an older man wasn't so strange in those times, too. Minatsu was really interested in his matters through all the story. She was adored by two young boys and she played with them, but she didn't take them seriously! And the teacher was always there with his daughter. She just followed her heart.

What's more about the ending of the manga, in the anime the other cool teacher and this tall angry girl end up together, while in the manga there is no thread like that at all.
Jul 29, 2014 4:29 AM

Jan 2011
With Otase on this one, hated the ending.

Sensei was a terrible choice. He wasn't looking for a wife. He was just looking for a maid he could fuck. Completely shallow.
Sep 8, 2015 8:03 AM

May 2012
That sure changed quite hard in the end, from a love triangle to getting full on cucked! Pretty different than I expected but I still liked the overall development of the whole story and the characters and that ending song sure is catchy as ever!
Jan 3, 2016 10:59 AM

Jun 2013
Very AVERAGE. No more than this. The end is ridiculous.
Jan 5, 2017 11:26 AM

Oct 2016
Jan 16, 2018 6:47 PM

Jun 2013
The ending broke my fucking heart. I need to read the manga in hopes that she ends up with ANYONE else other than that perverted teacher. Jesus Christ, he was grooming her to be a housewife/maid that he could fuck to his heart's content. I feel sorry for Minatsu.
臭い-
May 24, 2018 3:22 PM
otp haver πŸ€ͺ

Jul 2017
Sooooo weird. I honestly did not expect it. Especially with how he treated her even in the last episode, wanting a wife figure then her specifically. And overall that's what I waited for, to see who she ended up with because I do like Minatsu, she really does act like a teenage girl and avoiding her feelings slash being quite selfish despite much being the fault of others,

I can see why she gets attached to her teacher in a way but at the same time he doesn't change enough like out of his perverted ways or becomes all that serious, she starts falling for him because he's taking boxing seriously and trying to shape up where as the other two guys kind of just stand there and keep going at her the same as episode 1. But it just wasn't enough. I know the manga wasn't as blatant with the ending but can't imagine the ova changed much.

Anyways. Average. I was hoping for more here but it's so base level that it kinda saddens me. Minatsu is a great character in her own right, I wish there was a tad more too her but everyone else in comparison to her is really one-dimensional and that's the damning thing.
Jun 19, 2019 5:20 PM

Mar 2009
Wow. I actually hated the teacher character from the first episode because he reminds me of every misogynistic dude who expects a girl to do everything for him ever. Especially that time in ep 3-4 where he harasses Minatsu at her house making her fetch him tea and ashtrays and then scolds her about not being a proper wife. Episode 5 takes this sudden turn where he becomes the romantic lead and honestly I hate it.

Really liked Minatsu, and that's why I hate her having this ending.
Sep 22, 2019 4:12 AM
Jun 2017
Adachi has been known for Complex Love Relationships with Sporting events. But this one really is the worst and shocking at a same time. Teacher's job is to enlighten the path of a student, not to make a life partner.

Ending up with older guys is fine but choosing a person who was trying to bring out the best talent in you in a respectable manner as a life partner is what bothers in the entire story. There's no value of a Student and Teacher Relationship in a professional sense and this is what makes me sick.
Apr 20, 2020 12:09 AM

Jul 2017
Genuinely left aghast after this. I didn't really care for the teacher character but this came WAY out of left field in my opinion. I knew something was suspicious when the 2 male characters that mattered weren't impressive, I knew something was off. And this anime really confirmed that with such a pathetic and waste of time ending. I'll read the manga now since I heard this is anime-original, but holy fuck this may have been the most annoyed I've been at an anime in forever.
Mar 5, 2021 8:01 AM
Mar 2020
Honestly this show was kind of a mess without any direction from the beginning. Like the way it was set up I thought the love triangle would be way more interesting and I don't think her falling for the coach guy is justified at all.

Also that coach was a total creep it honestly made me a little uncomfortable. In my highschool 2 years ago there used to be the same kind of "pervy" coach that would barge into girls changing rooms and "help" them adjust their form.
It was honestly really creepy but in this type of show it's pretty much treated as normal. I guess 80s Japan was just a whole different place from now.

It's still interesting to see how all these guys used to be and think back then. Honestly all of them we're the worst especially the gym coach. When he came over to her house in episode 4 Nakazato even got out of the shower early and did all sorts of things for him for free. She allowed him to smoke in the house and was making him tea and all and then he's such an old-fashioned ass about it.

But Nakazato is honestly a saint with her patience it took her about 25 minutes to get kinda pissed of and even then. The only thing she did wrong was that whole stupid secomd personality thing with her switching into her Maria persona. Honestly that plotpoint went nowhere and could've just been cut from the anime in favor of something more interesting.

And the other 2 guys we're honest and way better people then the teacher but are also misguided. Like they both had lot's of girls that would also hang out with them yet they decide on Nakazato who's not interested in them especially at the end. Simping wasn't invented back then but still people do read when you don't want them around you right? Or atleast that's what I thought about it.

This ending is also way to crazy and can't really be justified. There's no reason for her liking the coach this much and she's way too young to marry an old creeper. Also she was like 16-17 and he is 24 or 25.

This animes honestly kind of terrible but still really interesting. I do recommend it bu don't expect any great plot.

(I couldn't manage to leave a review publicly idk how that works so I decided to drop it on here)
Aug 28, 2022 9:34 AM

Jan 2018
When the focus shifted from the two main characters to the coach, I knew something was up. Don't get me wrong, the drama with the coach was more interesting and fleshed out than that love triangle. Still, that ending just made me visibly and audibly cringe. Wtf? It's not satisfying at all. It's the opposite. What was once just a subplot or just a gag was promoted to the main story.

I should've expected this since both Shuu and Naoto were pretty shallow characters. In order for a love triangle to work every character needs to be interesting. Kadomatsu Naoto was a bit interesting in the beginning but after butting heads with Shuu he started becoming annoying. Akiba Shuu was just a childhood friend archetype except he's a boy. He didn't have anything interesting going for him. Not even boxing. It became clear Minatsu wasn't truly interested in either of the boys.

I was expecting Sawamura to end up with Yamazakura. That would've been more satisfying than this random cliche teacher who only showed up at the last minute to become her new suitor.

The sports aspect of the series was almost non-existent. Which is understandable cause the series is only 5 OVA episodes long. So I don't have any gripe about that.

The dual identity gimmick of Minatsu or Maria was pretty cool and I would've liked to see more of that. But it'd probably get too repetitive. I suppose the author realized this so it was dropped around halfway through which is a shame.

I heard that Slow Step was the worst Adachi Mitsuru manga. After watching the OVA I think I agree. The OVA has an original ending but according to the comments above, it's just a more explicit depiction of what was already implied in an open ending. So I don't have any intention of reading the manga.

My ranking for Adachi Mitsuru anime so far: Touch=Cross Game>Hiatari Ryoukou!>>Miyuki>>>Mix (Season 1)>>>>Nine>>>>>Slow Step.
Miyuki's (anime) open ending is second only to Slow Step's (OVA) crap ending. I can't believe I'm saying this but I would've preferred an open ending to what we got. But then the whole episode the way it was structured plus the scene before the ending heavily implied this ending. So the entire story would probably have to be rewritten to have a true open ending, as much as I hate open endings in romcoms.

I think this whole series was a bit confused about what it was supposed to be about. The boxing? The softball? The relationships? It's a bit all over the place. It's not even like Miyuki where it could be just an episodic comedic without a strong focus on anything. Speaking of Miyuki, there was a lecher teacher in that series too and it was way worse in that series.

If you want another shojo anime that has similar conflicts as this one involving students falling in love with teachers then watch Hiatari Ryoukou!
The payoff is worth it, I'll say that much.
0451Aug 28, 2022 10:22 AM
Apr 8, 2023 6:52 AM
Apr 2023
This anime and overall 80's anime are not for woke minded people. I think this ending is pretty misterious and open, specially the manga one and probably the wedding part (less than 10 seconds) are non Adachi canonical.

Anyway, ending is pretty un-cliche, i don't agree this ending is cliche, it is the opposite, everyone expecting hero marry the pretty nice girl, this ending is mature, it is realistic, true slice of life, unexpected, non standard and non shonen boy thing, maybe it is seinen oriented or shojo. There is not a happy ending, but it is not necessary.

Some people said about Touch here. Touch Vol. 3 is pretty awful 'killing' early a main character like Kazuya, it is quite obvious Mitsuru Adachi never planned to make 11 Volumes, From volume 4 is a complete re-arrengement.

I read above Miyuki is dated, Miyuki is a complete classic, a masterpiece. It is not for easy-close-minded kids, and main theme is incest and lolita complex as Jinbee later, or also this Slow Step ending (same kinda).

Minatsu chosed a good looking dad. Get it over, guys.

Saludos desde España.
jsixtvfApr 8, 2023 7:00 AM
May 20, 7:47 AM

Oct 2010
I rooted for kadomatsu but I guess minatsu doesn't wanna to to USA and akiba is an idiot, sensei makes sense to be honest even though it's kinda hilarious
7/10 delinquent girl was damn hot.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Slow Step Episode 1 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Sep 7, 2015

3 by Limi »»
Aug 3, 2023 4:55 AM

Poll: » Slow Step Episode 4 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Sep 8, 2015

1 by 0451 »»
Aug 28, 2022 7:39 AM

Poll: » Slow Step Episode 3 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Sep 8, 2015

2 by 0451 »»
Aug 25, 2022 11:19 PM

Poll: » Slow Step Episode 2 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Sep 7, 2015

2 by 0451 »»
Aug 24, 2022 12:21 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.