Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 4, 2010 4:42 PM
Apr 2008
This thread is not so much about which is better, more like which do you prefer. As for myself, it doesn't really matter if an anime is dubbed or subbed. Just as long as I can get my anime fix, I am all good to go.

Granted some shows I do prefer dubbed. Especially if the character is supposed to have an accent. In my opinion, most Japanese seiyuu can't do accents well.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 4, 2010 5:47 PM

Feb 2008
Old habits die hard... I slap on an R1 anime DVD, push <play>, hear English dialogue and my brain goes "Hey! Something is wrong here". Fact is that nothing is wrong but I just don't expect to hear English. I've watched anime movies dubbed in English in theatres and thought nothing of it.

With my collection of R2 anime DVDs the question doesn't apply. There are no English subtitles and there are no English dub tracks. End of story.

I voted <doesn't matter>.
Aug 4, 2010 9:06 PM

Jan 2008
I voted subs, 'cause it's true that I do prefer them. But I don't mind dubs either. There are at least two or three shows that I definitely prefer to watch dubbed — Last Exile and Witch Hunter Robin (and sometimes Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex), though they're just as great in Japanese.

I agree with Doug about Japanese doing foreign languages, though. AUGH @ Chinese and English (and whatever else). And when they do get someone who can speak perfect English to do the job, the poor guy/girl can't act.
Aug 5, 2010 9:12 AM

Aug 2008
I can go either way, but I really prefer to watch a show dubbed. However, while R1 voice actors have certainly gotten better when it comes to acting, there's comes a point where you get tired of hearing the same person over and over. The most recent case of this problem for me was Luci Christian getting the lead in Birdy the Mighty Decode. She's already the lead in another show that I plan on picking up from FUNi, Shikabane Hime, along with being Nami on One Piece. She sounds exactly the same in all three roles, so more likely than not I'll be watching the sub which I was already enjoying.

I believe this issue of limited range in anime voice actors was covered on the ANNCast with their interview with Liam O'Brien. Along with the reason O'Brien gave, I think the fact that companies have to pump this stuff out ASAP doesn't lend itself for further creativity.

I don't really have this problem with subs since they really all sound the same to me most of the time.

On the other hand, there are certain things that I just want to watch and I know waiting for it to be dubbed is completely foolish. With the rise of simulcasts, I've been watching tons of subbed material so I'm used to watching an entire show like that now.

EDIT: woot! First post ever on the club page. :D

EDIT 2: wait, it isn't.....
bravesAug 5, 2010 10:44 AM
Aug 9, 2010 6:49 PM

May 2010
When I watch live-action foreign films, I listen to their original audio tracks. Same thing for animation of any origin.

In fact, the only anime that I currently own that I have yet to listen to the original Japanese dub of is FLCL -- that's primarily due to the fact that I grew up with the English dub, and thus have attachment to it (like with Bebop, Trigun and The Big O).
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» www.theanimealley.com on Way Back Machine

deguy - Apr 12, 2021

1 by braves »»
Mar 10, 2023 6:25 AM

Sticky: » Member Cards

deguy - May 23, 2011

15 by Urdnot_Wrex »»
Sep 3, 2011 12:50 AM

» Club recommendation thread.

doug19992000 - Jul 28, 2010

17 by deguy »»
Jul 4, 2011 10:31 PM

» Club Relations - June 2011 Voting

deguy - Jun 11, 2011

12 by Pastachan »»
Jul 1, 2011 6:59 PM

» Club Relations - June 2011 Nominations

deguy - Jun 1, 2011

10 by Urdnot_Wrex »»
Jun 12, 2011 12:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.