Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 2, 2023 12:48 AM

Nov 2020
Why did it drop the word "Girl"?
Aug 2, 2023 1:05 AM
Jul 2020
Because Americans are stupid, what else could it be?
Aug 2, 2023 1:35 AM

Jul 2021
It rolls off the tongue better, the original title is a mouthful.
Aug 2, 2023 1:37 AM

Jun 2016
I assume because the original title has too many syllable final Rs. Sounds weird if you have a rhotic accent.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 2, 2023 1:41 AM
Aug 2022
It just sounds weird in English to include "Girl" in the title, probably harder to pronounce as well. I don't have such problem cuz I'm not a native English speaker, but I can see why they'd remove it.
Aug 2, 2023 1:59 AM

Nov 2020
That's a good amount of answers in under an hour. Thanks for the answers, guys! I didn't take "native English pronunciation" into the account.
Aug 2, 2023 8:29 AM
Nov 2015
Well this is new…
Aug 2, 2023 10:49 AM

May 2017
Isekai-Enjoyer said:

Lol—I clicked on this thread because I was wondering myself: Why was I saying Undead Murder Farce when everyone else was like UGMF?

My stupidity already having been abundantly demonstrated, here at least I can defend myself by saying I always go with whatever the streaming site in question uses, because that's primarily what I see. So Crunchyroll has it as Undead Murder Farce. This is also why I learned the unicode for that white star character, ☆ (which is U+2606), so I could properly type Shoujo Kageki ☆ Revue Starlight. And there are eight (count 'em, eight) exclamation points in Keijo!!!!!!!!.
"He who writes for fools always finds a large public. A precondition for reading good books is not reading bad ones: for life is short."
—Arthur Schopenhauer
Aug 2, 2023 11:49 AM

Nov 2020
auroraloose said:
Isekai-Enjoyer said:

Lol—I clicked on this thread because I was wondering myself: Why was I saying Undead Murder Farce when everyone else was like UGMF?

My stupidity already having been abundantly demonstrated, here at least I can defend myself by saying I always go with whatever the streaming site in question uses, because that's primarily what I see. So Crunchyroll has it as Undead Murder Farce. This is also why I learned the unicode for that white star character, ☆ (which is U+2606), so I could properly type Shoujo Kageki ☆ Revue Starlight. And there are eight (count 'em, eight) exclamation points in Keijo!!!!!!!!.
Also, the first season of The Devil is a Part-Timer! in Japan is called Hataraku Maou-sama!. Season 2 is Hataraku Maou-sama!! and season 3 is Hataraku Maou-sama!! 2nd Season. What's the point?! Then there's AoT "Final" Season as well.

EDIT: Also Summertime Render which is Summer Time Rendering in English.
Aug 2, 2023 11:54 AM

May 2017
enrosurobakia said:
Also, the first season of The Devil is a Part-Timer! in Japan is called Hataraku Maou-sama!. Season 2 is Hataraku Maou-sama!! and season 3 is Hataraku Maou-sama!! 2nd Season. What's the point?! Then there's AoT "Final" Season as well.

EDIT: Also Summertime Render which is Summer Time Rendering in English.

Yeah, I don't watch Attack on Titan, but with all the numbered final seasons I've been thinking for a while that it's over, but then it's not, and then it's over again... It'd make the most sense to me if it were a function of how Japanese works as a written language (e.g., using exclamation points as season counters; K-On! does this too), and that it doesn't translate well.
"He who writes for fools always finds a large public. A precondition for reading good books is not reading bad ones: for life is short."
—Arthur Schopenhauer
Aug 2, 2023 11:57 AM

Nov 2020
auroraloose said:
auroraloose said:

Yeah, I don't watch Attack on Titan, but with all the numbered final seasons I've been thinking for a while that it's over, but then it's not, and then it's over again... It'd make the most sense to me if it were a function of how Japanese works as a written language (e.g., using exclamation points as season counters; K-On! does this too), and that it doesn't translate well.

Yea, I feel like there will be at least one movie after the "finale" of AoT.
Aug 2, 2023 11:59 AM
Jul 2016
This is how you pronounce it in the original Japanese when you directly romanize the katakana.

アンデッドガール・マーダーファルス
Andeddogāru mādāfarusu

Yeah, "Undead Girl Murder Farce" doesn't seem like such a mouthful now lmao.
Aug 2, 2023 12:08 PM

Feb 2021
You know this show was doomed from the start when Crunchyroll was one of the producers behind it...
Aug 2, 2023 1:42 PM
Jul 2020
auroraloose said:
Isekai-Enjoyer said:

You weren’t the one who named it, my friend.

Still safe for all it’s worth.
Aug 2, 2023 2:27 PM

May 2017
Isekai-Enjoyer said:
auroraloose said:

I know—I just thought our convergence here again was funny, and I wanted to brag about how my knowledge of unicode allows me to better appreciate magical girl anime.
—Arthur Schopenhauer
Aug 2, 2023 3:10 PM
Jul 2020
auroraloose said:
Isekai-Enjoyer said:

I know—I just thought our convergence here again was funny, and I wanted to brag about how my knowledge of unicode allows me to better appreciate magical girl anime.

That’s…

A weird flex.

And I can appreciate it.
Aug 2, 2023 4:17 PM

May 2017
Isekai-Enjoyer said:
auroraloose said:

That’s…

A weird flex.

And I can appreciate it.

Well, it's more it was absurd that I actually did such a thing, and that's the attitude I want to cultivate. There are people who build mechanical computing constructs in Dwarf Fortress; that's a flex.
—Arthur Schopenhauer
Aug 2, 2023 4:26 PM
Jul 2020
auroraloose said:
Isekai-Enjoyer said:

That’s…

A weird flex.

And I can appreciate it.

Well, it's more it was absurd that I actually did such a thing, and that's the attitude I want to cultivate. There are people who build mechanical computing constructs in Dwarf Fortress; that's a flex.

That’s fair enough lol.
Aug 2, 2023 6:25 PM

Apr 2018
erikkamirs said:
This is how you pronounce it in the original Japanese when you directly romanize the katakana.

アンデッドガール・マーダーファルス
Andeddogāru mādāfarusu

Yeah, "Undead Girl Murder Farce" doesn't seem like such a mouthful now lmao.
I don't get what u want to say lmao, if u translate the katakana you pretty much get " Undead Girl Murder Farce" so what's exactly your point 
Fight for All That's Beautiful in The World !

Aug 2, 2023 10:05 PM

Nov 2012
My belief is that Sony dropped the girl for a couple of reasons number 1 being Marketing & Sales. Because I had heard of the manga I include the girl. I had expectations and mental images  that are not any where near what this title is truly about. Dropping "girl" from the title actually puts the title closer to the content. At worst I was thinking there was a zombie in Victorian clothing or just an immortal solving murders, not a head in a cage.  

Another possible reason: to stop the groups of small number of people with big mouths and deep pockets who believe it's everyone but their jobs to protect and raise their own children. "Saying Undead Girl will scare Timmy because he's only 8." Well, why the fuck is Timmy watching it? Turn the damn tv off! Block it. Or better yet spend time with your damn kid.  Thanks to those groups many shows have ended prematurely and people have lost jobs.  I'm sure a big corp like Sony who now owns CR looks nice and juicy for some headlines and that a certain politico would jump on in attempts to steer people away from truth.  It's just makes good sense on the part of Sony tbh.  Now that I think of it, that's marketing as well.  

By the way I am a native English speaker with an IQ of 144. No where near stupid. TYVM
Aug 2, 2023 11:29 PM
Sep 2019
Disagree with Undead Girl Murder Farce being too awkward of a title. It's wordy but it's got kind of a rhythm to it. Undead Girl. Murder Farce. Two syllables, then one, then two, then one. Removing the "girl" makes it far more awkward to me, ruins the symmetry.
Aug 3, 2023 5:29 AM

Jun 2019
I'm not entirely sure, but I know that I definitely dislike and disagree with that decision stylistically regardless of its underlying motive or motives, so I'm going to continue to refer to it as "Undead Girl Murder Farce" as I have since the outset. With every series, I kind of know intuitively and decide very early on if I'm going to refer to it its original Japanese title, its main alternative English title, an alternative alternative English title, or a shortened/abbreviated Japanese title. This was one I saw and knew basically immediately that I'd always continue to refer to as "Undead Girl Murder Farce" without much more thought or effort put behind it.

As for the actual motive, I suspect it's something ridiculous such as "Undead Girl" (the word girl placed next to and right after undead) versus just "Undead" sounds more gory and gratuitous or something as it alludes to more graphic visual images of either a murdered/dead human or a monster given more explicit human form. So it seems like a PC/Puritanical censor-esque thing.  

Aug 4, 2023 4:35 PM
Aug 2021
I Didn't Even Know The English Title Was Diffrent, That They Took Out "Girl"
Pretty Stupid If U Ask Me

More topics from this board

Poll: » Undead Girl Murder Farce Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2023

164 by AP24 »»
Oct 7, 8:32 AM

Poll: » Undead Girl Murder Farce Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2023

101 by Minakata_Hizuru »»
Sep 7, 6:53 PM

» RETURN OF A LEGEND!!! (No, not a new season, calm down LMAO)

WhispyMoon - Aug 21

16 by WhispyMoon »»
Aug 22, 1:21 PM

» Why does the ED song feel so nostalgic?

Oreki_Houtaro24 - Aug 8

4 by Madmaster_X »»
Aug 10, 2:31 AM

Poll: » Undead Girl Murder Farce Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2023

65 by Ranxomare »»
Jul 9, 12:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.