Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 16, 2022 2:04 AM
Jan 2009
how disappointing this was
Aug 20, 2022 4:53 AM

Feb 2017
I've only seen the trailers, not the movie itself, so I can't pass the judgment yet, but from what I've seen in the trailers I am inclined to agree. It does look sorta underwhelming, especially when you take into account the staff of this movie which are all one-by-one industry legends and greats (This is a movie in which freaking Toshiyuki Inoue broke his personal record of number of cuts he animated for a single project). Not to mention that this movie got the second longest production/drawing time in anime history, only behind A Letter to Momo.

What looks underwhelming to me are the art direction/backgrounds and composite/photography. It looks clunky and half-baked. It's a shame that a movie with dream team of animators and designers with almost infinite production time ended up looking like it needed more time in the oven. My guess is that this is a result of director Ando's inexperience, he might not have a good eye for these sorts of things.

How the script turned out I don't know but considering it's an adaptation of a complex 1000+ book by an inexperienced director I doubt hat aspect of the movie turned out ideal.

Maybe watching the movie will give me different impression.
TsarkoAug 20, 2022 5:05 AM
Aug 21, 2022 7:39 AM
Jan 2009
Tsarko said:
I've only seen the trailers, not the movie itself, so I can't pass the judgment yet, but from what I've seen in the trailers I am inclined to agree. It does look sorta underwhelming, especially when you take into account the staff of this movie which are all one-by-one industry legends and greats (This is a movie in which freaking Toshiyuki Inoue broke his personal record of number of cuts he animated for a single project). Not to mention that this movie got the second longest production/drawing time in anime history, only behind A Letter to Momo.

What looks underwhelming to me are the art direction/backgrounds and composite/photography. It looks clunky and half-baked. It's a shame that a movie with dream team of animators and designers with almost infinite production time ended up looking like it needed more time in the oven. My guess is that this is a result of director Ando's inexperience, he might not have a good eye for these sorts of things.

How the script turned out I don't know but considering it's an adaptation of a complex 1000+ book by an inexperienced director I doubt hat aspect of the movie turned out ideal.

yeah i didn't even realize any of this. The movie was not very visually impressive and only two or three cuts of the entire thing even stuck out to me. I guess great animation talent can be arrested by a bland director.
Oct 22, 2022 5:25 AM

Jun 2011
Tsarko said:

I don't know if you had changed your mind after watching the movie but, having seen it, I do not agree with you regarding the art direction. I think Ono Hiroshi did a magnificient work, backgrounds, colours and lighting fit so well with the ambience, on a pure technical standpoint it is probably the prettiest anime I watched so far this year.
I do however have to agree on Ando's inexperience, the story as a whole is so uninteresting to follow, there is very little tension on show, the poor pacing makes all the good ideas boil down into a very bland mess. As you have said, rightly so, it is underwhelming, considering the absolutely legendary staff of animators that worked on it.
Feb 27, 3:06 PM
Feb 2020
It just doesn't look like a movie made or released in 2022. Apart from smoother animations, its way too much like movies from late 80s or 90s in terms of visuals.

I viewer aptly compare it with Ghibli movies. Its just like that.
Feb 27, 4:25 PM
Jan 2009
Reply to Kays90
It just doesn't look like a movie made or released in 2022. Apart from smoother animations, its way too much like movies from late 80s or 90s in terms of visuals.

I viewer aptly compare it with Ghibli movies. Its just like that.
@Kays90 if it looked like a movie from the 80s or 90s, it would look a lot better. 80s/90s anime movies are insanely good looking

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shika no Ou: Yuna to Yakusoku no Tabi Episode 1 Discussion

KiraYoshikage - Aug 26, 2021

25 by BookBirdie »»
Sep 4, 8:39 PM

» I hate the ending, and I wunna rant some where

DraginZ0mbees - Feb 17

1 by Yemi_Hikari »»
Aug 7, 9:23 AM

» Expectations?

iShambles - Dec 17, 2018

18 by LeeNoriega »»
Feb 19, 2022 10:17 AM

Poll: » Eastward

Angry_Anime_Nerd - Aug 25, 2021

0 by Angry_Anime_Nerd »»
Aug 25, 2021 6:19 PM

» Yuna VA

ZeroLegend - Aug 19, 2021

3 by Tsarko »»
Aug 20, 2021 3:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.