Forum Settings
Forums
Boys Run the Riot
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 6, 2022 7:58 PM

Nov 2018
Just finished reading the manga, but is it just me or did the manga just end abruptly..? But I do like how its an open ended ending where you don't really know if their brand ever became successful. I guess i'm just not used to these type of endings where the ending is THIS open ended.
<(*isekai*)<

Feb 8, 2022 7:44 PM
Mar 2019
I wouldn't say its just you, I get what you mean. I definitely enjoyed the manga, but I was a bit surprised when I reached the end that I had actually finished the story. I know there's different styles of writing and endings so I still see it as a well-done series that I'll recommend to those interested, but on the personal side I always like to see as much as I can. There were characters I wanted to see a bit more of, themes explored, as well as the next steps they took with their brand/business, etc.
I guess I didn't expect the ending to come almost right after they decided what their brand was going to represent and had their first (relatively slow) showcase.

On the other hand, their mentor has that conversation with Jin's father saying if he had to "measure success or failure, (he'd) look at whether they look to the future, rich with emotion, doing their best, completely absorbed in living life" and says "If that's what success means, then they already succeeded a long time ago".
With this kind of ending the author may have been trying to remind readers that the fact that they found something they enjoyed and put effort in despite barriers, was enough. It didn't matter if this exact brand thrived, or became a steppingstone moving them on to bigger things, or if it was just something they did for temporary fun. That whatever the outcome, it was still worth it.

But admittedly that doesn't stop me from wanting another arc or at least a couple more scenes. The last couple events (Ryo being himself with his family, the exhibition, & the recruitment of a previously seen yet unnamed character) didn't seem written with as much of a finale vibe as I was expecting. It almost felt like it could have been setting up something to come next but instead ended soon enough I think I did a double take. I felt like these were some of the events I had been waiting to see but because I had been wanting to see the aftermath of these, not just as the finale events.

Time skips don't always go well, but part of me thinks if we couldn’t get more of the process/journey it could have been interesting to see a bit into the future too, and where they're at, how things have changed, and Ryo living comfortably with full confidence.

I doubt the author will be revisiting/continuing this series since its finished, but I would gladly take a continuation (though many may think that's not needed).
Feb 9, 2022 3:02 PM

Mar 2014
I wondered if the series had been cancelled. I can't find anything about it online, but Wikipedia says that while it was originally serialised in Weekly Young Magazine, it was moved over to an app. I'm not 100% how it works, but that doesn't sound promising. If they weren't willing to keep publishing it in the magazine, maybe it wasn't doing that well.

Again, I don't know how it works. I did think the ending was abrupt, which is a shame, but I don't really have an issue with open endings. I'd argue the final volume was the weakest, too. I did, however, really love the one-shot they included at the end of the final volume. It was so cool to see how the story started. It felt rougher and more raw than the series, which I liked a lot.
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
Mar 2, 2022 10:15 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Agreed, felt very rushed :( I wasn't expecting a full blown fight or anything with Ryou's family, but it also seemed to have gone a bit more smoothly than I thought it'd go. And maybe it's like that with some families. Same goes for Jin's father. Of course it's not like the parents are really chill with their child's situation, but I wish we could've seen a bit more of the struggle? The way it ended so upbeat with a quick a resolution made the story feel less impactful than it could've been. I think maybe even just one more volume would've been enough.

Still, I did rather enjoy the series :) The mangaka also improved immensely from the one-shot to the serialization! :o Really amazing.
Mar 8, 2022 2:49 PM

Jan 2021
I agree with a lot that’s been said here. A similar thing happened here to what happened with Shimanami Tasogare—got moved to a digital magazine and ended prematurely with some loose ends not tied. The message was similar, but it was less satisfying in BRTR, probably because the finale didn’t feel like a finale. It kind of just petered out? It made me want more. I loved how raw the oneshot was and would have liked to see more themes like that in the series. Maybe more big life challenges outside of being trans where that aspect of his identity still shows us a unique perspective on the situation? Like that time with the guy at the shop

I did recently see that the mangaka is looking for an editor since he’s going to be serialised in a Kodansha magazine again soon !! Maybe this means he ended this series early since he had something bigger or more ambitious planned? The biggest thing I wanted was for the mangaka to do another series after this lol, so I’m really hyped. I have a strong feeling Kodansha US will pick it up since they put so much hype behind BRTR

Before you try revolutionizing the country, why don’t you revolutionize yourself first? - 土方十四郎
Apr 30, 2022 8:02 PM

Oct 2017
Yeah I looked online and couldn't find anything about the BRTR ending. I feel like it might have been cancelled like Shimanami Tasogare because the ending felt rushed and slightly too smooth (like with the brand and Ryo coming out to his family).
Aug 3, 2023 3:15 AM
Aug 2021
I generally agree that there is more the manga could offer if it was extended to, say, 50 chapters. Especially with Tsubasa, Jin's father, or the relationship between Ryo and his family. However, I get the feeling that it was left intentionally open because it means to represent one vignette into Ryo's and Jin's lives, rather than trying to represent the whole of Ryo's transitioning and self-acceptance and Jin's struggle to break free of societal expectations foisted on him. We were fortunate to see Ryo gain his confidence and overcoming his fear of being discovered, even if he had his chance to come out on his own terms taken away from him. He takes the first few steps in essentially a second puberty, now on his own terms of becoming a man.
Aug 3, 2023 5:19 AM

Apr 2012
CCC47 said:
Yeah I looked online and couldn't find anything about the BRTR ending. I feel like it might have been cancelled like Shimanami Tasogare because the ending felt rushed and slightly too smooth (like with the brand and Ryo coming out to his family).
It was indeed cancelled, as the author seems to have intended to continue it longer than the usual queer manga for several volumes. Moreover, it was his magnum opus.
canticling said:
I generally agree that there is more the manga could offer if it was extended to, say, 50 chapters. Especially with Tsubasa, Jin's father, or the relationship between Ryo and his family. However, I get the feeling that it was left intentionally open because it means to represent one vignette into Ryo's and Jin's lives, rather than trying to represent the whole of Ryo's transitioning and self-acceptance and Jin's struggle to break free of societal expectations foisted on him. We were fortunate to see Ryo gain his confidence and overcoming his fear of being discovered, even if he had his chance to come out on his own terms taken away from him. He takes the first few steps in essentially a second puberty, now on his own terms of becoming a man.
Aug 3, 2023 12:36 PM
Aug 2021
RobertBobert said:
It was indeed cancelled, as the author seems to have intended to continue it longer than the usual queer manga for several volumes. Moreover, it was his magnum opus.
That's really disappointing to hear that it wasn't just a choice to end it as a shorter manga. I thought it was done well but it does feel like something of a proof of concept. The author really deserved some more time and space to work on this.
Aug 3, 2023 11:27 PM

Apr 2012
canticling said:
RobertBobert said:
That's really disappointing to hear that it wasn't just a choice to end it as a shorter manga. I thought it was done well but it does feel like something of a proof of concept. The author really deserved some more time and space to work on this.
As far as I remember (correct me if I'm wrong), they first came out as a trans male and after a while the manga was cancelled. Then he moved to another publisher and the manga was completed in a more logical way.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boys Run the Riot Chapter 37 Discussion

TitanInsane - Jun 3

0 by TitanInsane »»
Jun 3, 8:53 AM

» Missing Chapter(s) in Print Volumes

RisefromAshes - Jan 31

3 by YukiPwns00 »»
Feb 6, 2:45 PM

Poll: » Boys Run the Riot Chapter 23 Discussion

Tsunamii_ - Mar 11, 2023

0 by Tsunamii_ »»
Mar 11, 2023 6:21 AM

Poll: » Boys Run the Riot Chapter 7 Discussion

Tsunamii_ - Feb 19, 2023

0 by Tsunamii_ »»
Feb 19, 2023 11:26 AM

Poll: » Boys Run the Riot Chapter 3 Discussion

Tsunamii_ - Feb 17, 2023

0 by Tsunamii_ »»
Feb 17, 2023 9:51 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.