Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 14, 2021 12:06 AM

Nov 2013
Animation was OK, but still not 100% fan of 3d.
The fights looked really good though!
Nov 14, 2021 1:31 AM

Aug 2019
seriously impressed by how smooth the cgi was!!!
Nov 14, 2021 2:07 AM

Jun 2019
Not gonna lie, that first episode was really cool. Still to figure the stuff where this is going but the characters are quite interesting. Elle is really cute and badass. I love her already. Doc Badger is a cool dude as well.

The animation is really good. The action sequence was quite smooth as well. Didn't have high expectations but definitely surpassed them. I just hope the story will be as good as the animation considering its 3DCG.
Nov 14, 2021 2:31 AM

Feb 2017
I thought this was pretty good, so far. Character models still leave a lot to be desired (thought they kinda look like an improvement over Ultraman and SAC_2045) but the environments and the lightning look really good. I think they managed to nail the atmosphere quite well.
The main character and mystery surrounding her has been introduced. It still remains to be seen where this will all go but it managed to catch my attention.
Nov 14, 2021 3:12 AM

Nov 2021
I'm loving it so far, the show managed to take me back to the world of Blade Runner. It truly is a love letter to the franchise. I don't care about the CG, my one issue is the music, the music felt off at times, I need that vangelis soundtrack instead of the modern music. I did see a few people who watched on AdultSwim complain about bad dub, but I watch everything subbed, so no idea.
Story is engaging enough and I can't get enough of those little references to the original film that only someone who's seen it many times would notice. Really happy to have more Blade Runner content to enjoy!
Nov 14, 2021 3:23 AM

Feb 2019
I've never had an issue with 3d animated animes (Look at Studio ORange's works for example) so whether a show is 3d or not doesn't detract from how good it is. Bad 3d animation/syncing is when it becomes an issue and the 3d of this show I actually like.
The line below is True.
The line above is False.
Nov 14, 2021 5:20 AM
Oct 2021
Hooooooo, just loved it man, like every end is an beginning, this is the revolution of anime, i can sense total annihilation, brutal kills, epic story and ho my the graphics are sick but not up to the mark need some slow Mo fight scenes
Nov 14, 2021 6:10 AM
Mar 2018
Nice to see a familiar face from 2049 in Doc Badger.
Nov 14, 2021 7:48 AM
Trickster

Jun 2011
While the look of it is similar to a PS2 CGI cutscene, it captured the atmosphere and feel of the world of Blade Runner, and the mocapped fight scenes looked slick. Bit of an oddly abrupt ending, and the voice acting was... eh.

Looking forward to more though.
Nov 14, 2021 9:44 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
So we have an interesting story around Ellie who lost her memories and all she has is a locked device that has some kind of data. She runs into Doc Badger who knows a guy that can help her, too bad that he's passed out drunk on his couch(I thought he was dead). I have a feeling that Ellie might be one of those advanced types that was engineered to fight hence the gap in her memories.

The visuals are absolutely stunning and it really captures the aesthetics and atmosphere of Blade Runner which is cyberpunk. The fight choreography was really good too.
Nov 14, 2021 11:26 AM

Jul 2011
At the beginning I thought Elle design was plain, but after dressing to kill the street gang, became a great design.
Nov 14, 2021 12:10 PM
Jan 2021
hands down like the best sci-fi anime of 2021.

That 6.30 score, it makes absolutely no sense, too many CGI haters, or too many crunchyroll haters.
Nov 14, 2021 1:03 PM

Jun 2016
The CGI is legit game like and not a fan of it, fight scenes were smooth, OST was fine and for the story will wait for 5-6 episodes to see what is going on. Maybe CGI will grow on me by then.
2023 might be the year where I will be happy. This year is not happy year.
Nov 14, 2021 1:23 PM
Apr 2021
this is blade runner on only the most superficial sense. The atmosphere and music feels somewhat reminiscent of the original series, but even then during action and talking scenes it feels like any other generic sci-fi.

this story is also incredibly generic so far, I'm really not a fan of it in any way. Amnesia plots are done to death, and the fact that our protagonist remembers the past (our present AKA: pre blade runner industrialisation) does not bode well for the story. Part of what made Blade Runner great is that we didn't have a "fish out of water" protagonist. It felt like you were stepping foot into another world with dense history and culture behind it that you could never truly understand. Kind of like going to a foreign country for the first time. Having a protagonist that's not a part of the world and is slowly learning about it like us destroys the immersion of Blade Runner.

And of course the animation is bad too. Don't get me wrong 3d anime can work, but the problem here is expression and communication. The character models simply aren't expressive enough and it is massively damaging the show. All dialogue and just emotive scenes in general lack impact because they feel plastic and fake.

This is an insult to the Blade Runner IP. An IP that has been kept very closely regulated for so long. Every single instalment in the series (including the Blackout short) was incredibly carefully directed and produced to a very high standard. This cheap shit recycled from SAC 2045 spits in the face of everything Blade Runner stands for.
Nov 14, 2021 1:24 PM

Aug 2019
Raptor1986 said:

That 6.30 score, it makes absolutely no sense, too many CGI haters, or too many crunchyroll haters.

The low score is because this isn't anime and it shouldn't be on MAL.
It's an American CGI cartoon just like 'He-Man and the Masters of the Universe' and 'Star Trek Prodigy'. (I only know these two examples because these are the ones I watch.)
Nov 14, 2021 1:28 PM
Apr 2021
Raptor1986 said:

sure in terms of a standalone anime it's okay, probably somewhere in the low 7s by MAL rating standards.
but as a part of the Blade Runner franchise this is like fanfiction level. Parody almost. This doesn't even deserve to be connected to the Blade Runner IP and the fact that both Warner Brothers and Crunchyroll signed off on it demonstrates to me that this is a throwaway series they created to milk the franchise. This show reeks of corporate cash grab in every way shape and form. A 6 isn't low enough
Nov 14, 2021 1:29 PM
Apr 2021
Yaggamy said:
Raptor1986 said:

It's an American CGI cartoon just like 'He-Man and the Masters of the Universe' and 'Star Trek Prodigy'. (I only know these two examples because these are the ones I watch.)
it's anime because it's created in Japan and directed by a Japanese director. If it was made in the west maybe there would have been some actual quality control preventing it from being this shit but what we got is most certainly an anime.
Nov 14, 2021 1:50 PM
Oct 2010
theGodde said:
this is blade runner on only the most superficial sense. The atmosphere and music feels somewhat reminiscent of the original series, but even then during action and talking scenes it feels like any other generic sci-fi.

this story is also incredibly generic so far, I'm really not a fan of it in any way. Amnesia plots are done to death, and the fact that our protagonist remembers the past (our present AKA: pre blade runner industrialisation) does not bode well for the story. Part of what made Blade Runner great is that we didn't have a "fish out of water" protagonist. It felt like you were stepping foot into another world with dense history and culture behind it that you could never truly understand. Kind of like going to a foreign country for the first time. Having a protagonist that's not a part of the world and is slowly learning about it like us destroys the immersion of Blade Runner.

And of course the animation is bad too. Don't get me wrong 3d anime can work, but the problem here is expression and communication. The character models simply aren't expressive enough and it is massively damaging the show. All dialogue and just emotive scenes in general lack impact because they feel plastic and fake.

This is an insult to the Blade Runner IP. An IP that has been kept very closely regulated for so long. Every single instalment in the series (including the Blackout short) was incredibly carefully directed and produced to a very high standard. This cheap shit recycled from SAC 2045 spits in the face of everything Blade Runner stands for.

lol even the original Blade Runner got shat on when it first came out
Nov 14, 2021 2:03 PM

Aug 2019
theGodde said:
Yaggamy said:

it's anime because it's created in Japan and directed by a Japanese director. If it was made in the west maybe there would have been some actual quality control preventing it from being this shit but what we got is most certainly an anime.

The anime subreddit didn't post the episode discussion because it's not anime.
It was made by Japanese people yes, but the art style is 100% American cartoon with the same CGI technology and art design as now running cartoons.
Also, Blade Runner is an American IP.
Nov 14, 2021 2:07 PM
Apr 2021
DapperDagger said:
theGodde said:

this is quite possible the dumbest thing I've seen so far on this thread. And that's including the brainless dolts who are happy as long as their neurons are firing during the fight scenes.

the first thing you learn in science is correlation does not mean there is a link/causation. I don't think it takes much intelligence to figure out that the original Blade Runner was canned for very, very different reasons to this show. First - it had an obnoxious voiceover that came in and explained incredibly obvious things to the audience and a terrible ending that was forcibly added by the studio because the studio thought the movie was too dark. It also had very slow and thoughtful pacing, and a plot that was subtle and nuanced to the point where it became confusing for general audiences (and hence why the studio forced Ridley Scott to add the voiceover).

Meanwhile I just explained why this show sucks. And I didn't say it sucked because it wasn't popular. I gave reasons for why the show sucked.
Nov 14, 2021 2:07 PM
Apr 2021
Yaggamy said:
theGodde said:

It was made by Japanese people yes, but the art style is 100% American cartoon with the same CGI technology and art design as now running cartoons.
no it's not. This is the same art style as Ghost in the Shell SAC 2045
same director too
Nov 14, 2021 2:14 PM
Oct 2010
theGodde said:
DapperDagger said:

this is quite possible the dumbest thing I've seen so far on this thread. And that's including the brainless dolts who are happy as long as their neurons are firing during the fight scenes.

the first thing you learn in science is correlation does not mean there is a link/causation. I don't think it takes much intelligence to figure out that the original Blade Runner was canned for very, very different reasons to this show. First - it had an obnoxious voiceover that came in and explained incredibly obvious things to the audience and a terrible ending that was forcibly added by the studio because the studio thought the movie was too dark. It also had very slow and thoughtful pacing, and a plot that was subtle and nuanced to the point where it became confusing for general audiences (and hence why the studio forced Ridley Scott to add the voiceover).

Meanwhile I just explained why this show sucks. And I didn't say it sucked because it wasn't popular. I gave reasons for why the show sucked.

"this is quite possible the dumbest thing I've seen so far on this thread."

Nah my vote goes to calling this show an insult to the IP when the first entry needed several revisions and a cult following before attaining acclaim.
Nov 14, 2021 2:28 PM
Apr 2021
DapperDagger said:
theGodde said:

Nah my vote goes to calling this show an insult to the IP when the first entry needed several revisions and a cult following before attaining acclaim.
and of course the author of the dumbest comment on this thread has an equally dumb reply.

Since you're not capable of any critical thought (also because I want to avoid a flame war) I won't be responding to any of your further comments
Nov 14, 2021 3:09 PM
Oct 2010
theGodde said:
DapperDagger said:

and of course the author of the dumbest comment on this thread has an equally dumb reply.

Since you're not capable of any critical thought (also because I want to avoid a flame war) I won't be responding to any of your further comments

Finding your thoughts on the blade runner IP to be silly != flaming, but saying someone is incapable of critical thinking == flaming.
Nov 14, 2021 4:17 PM
Dec 2016
Dont get the low score as the first episode was really cool!!

My mom comes into my room and the first thing she ask was "Is that a game?" lol
Nov 14, 2021 4:58 PM

Apr 2020
This anime looks like it's a long video game cutscene
I don't know how signatures work

Nov 14, 2021 7:49 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Don't know why this is MAL, but it's here, but I was going to watch it regardless, so let's talk about it a bit.

Didn't even realize that was doc badger from 2049 until someone mentioned it. He was only there for a short scene in 2049 but at least the "i'm the captain now" guy probably gets a semi-substantial role maybe in this. I think our characters and their designs are animated well. But doc badger's face, is just not it fam. Just doesn't fit in with the rest of our final-fantasy-looking characters.

Switched between the sub and the dub whenever we had some dialogue, and I am definitely going dub. Dub matches the movements of their mouths way more than the sub was.

Alright so technically it definitely passes, but if this first episode is any indication of the rest of the series, we are in for a very bland story with some very bland characters. But I'm still going to watch it to the end, for the technical side of things. Again, I'm liking the cgi. But what really is drawing me in is the soundtrack. It's the recognizable bladerunner-esque soundtrack with the synthesizer, but with a bit of a twist. The music alone is going to keep me here, but the sound design in general really kind of slaps. We have a katana-wielding main character, so of course we're going to get that glorious, eargasmic sound effect; "SHING". And there's blood spurting everywhere so they aren't exactly holding back. That fight took place in what looks like a graveyard too, nice.

Looks like there's going to be very few of us enjoying this series. Sure it just started airing but only about 150 people have rated this on MAL as of now, and it's only on the lists of about 14,000 MAL users I believe. But that's okay, it'll be nice to have a refresher this season. A refresher in terms of animation, but more so in terms of it being very under the radar. I liked the original (I think it was the director's cut I watched) with harrison ford, and bladerunner 2049 is my second favorite film by denis villeneuve, right after Prisoners. So yeah I'm looking forward to enjoying more things from the world of bladerunner, and so far this has been nailing the world and the ambience, and that's more than good enough for me.

I hope the few of us who ARE watching this can enjoy it for the most part. There's bound to be the people who go "EW 3D", but I hope they won't be too much. Anyway, onto episode 2! After that I'll give it a preliminary rating, which will most likely be a 5/10 for now.

NYANPASU
whiskey tango foxtrot

Nov 14, 2021 8:01 PM

Mar 2014
I'm glad this series is listed on MAL because this site is how I remember all the animated shows I've seen over the years. Enjoyed the first 2 episodes so far
Nov 14, 2021 8:25 PM

Oct 2012
Good music, backgrounds and action sequences. The story started off a bit bland and the characters (you know humans and what not) look way to CGI for my taste. I hope there's some good cyberpunk in the story.
Nov 14, 2021 9:21 PM
Jul 2014
Yaggamy said:
theGodde said:

Is ironic that you said that, because the anime art style was born from the american cartoon art style. Animes are all the productions that where made by japanese staff (most of all, by japanese directors).
Nov 14, 2021 9:27 PM
Jul 2014
Really good first episode, i loved the music and the photography. For some reason it reminds me a lot to the Blade Runner game for PC, maybe because of how the story is built through little clues
Nov 15, 2021 5:12 AM
Jan 2021
Yaggamy said:
Raptor1986 said:

from someone with an isekai avatar you can only expect answers from weeb.

Still the mentality that is not anime, which means "animation".

Anyway the staff is Japanese, the studios are Japanese, so it's a Japanese anime.
Nov 15, 2021 3:06 PM

Nov 2021
Still can't understand the amount of people giving it low rating because of CGI, lol, it's like those kids who complain about videogame graphics ruining their gaming experience
Nov 15, 2021 3:44 PM
Apr 2018
reminds me of those overwatch videos ya know?
Nov 15, 2021 9:47 PM

Nov 2020
God I can't even be bothered to watch the second episode

I'll admit that my disappointment with this show is only made worse by how hyped I was for it in the weeks leading up to its release. I knew next to nothing about the show going in, basically just that it took place almost exactly in the middle of the two movies, so I'll admit I was slightly disappointed to find out it was 3DCG rather than hand drawn but it's definitely not a deal breaker - in fact I find the animation quite impressive honestly. The character models and environments are just plain gorgeous, and the character motion particularly in the fight scenes is top notch - although as pretty much anyone would expect outside of the fights there is a slight dip in quality.
The real problem with what I've just watched is how the story is handled. The overall plot they seem to be setting up is fine albeit pretty generic, but... Why is this Blade Runner? A movie praised and celebrated for its subtle filmmaking, its heavy use of ambiance, for showing the audience the plot and leaving them to decide what to think about it rather than throwing exposition at them and telling them exactly what the characters are thinking and feeling. This show lacks any and all of that? Literally the first 60 seconds of this show are the main character waking up and being noticeably disoriented, inspecting herself, her surroundings, and the device on the floor beside her, and then I guess in case you were too stupid to pick up on her visible confusion about what's going on within that first minute she announces it to you out loud as well. And that's just the beginning: saying "how am I doing this?" after the first fight, "it's broad daylight but I can't even see the sky" walking down a rainy street, "I don't believe it, it's still here" finding the angel painting, "I've killed before" after her second fight with the gang. All of these things that are SHOWN ON SCREEN and anyone with a functioning braincell could pick up on, but they still choose to treat the audience like a bunch of idiots who need to have everything spoonfed to them, who would rather have the characters announce their feelings instead of showing them. It goes against everything that makes the original film so beloved and demonstrates pretty clearly that the people behind this show had no intention or desire to make a Blade Runner spinoff, they wanted to make a generic run of the mill sci-fi show then just recreated environments from the movie and slapped the Blade Runner name on it for the brand recognition. I honestly can't believe anyone in charge of this show has even seen the movie.

TL;DR if you've never seen Blade Runner you could very well enjoy this show for its impressive animation and easily digestible story, but if like me you know and love Blade Runner don't bother with this trash, it'll just infuriate you
Nov 15, 2021 9:57 PM

Nov 2020
DapperDagger said:
theGodde said:

Yeah, cause the studio fucked with it and ruined the movie. Then when those mistakes were undone and people could see the movie the way it was meant to be it became the huge success it is today. Now this show comes along and completely ignores the entire ordeal, doesn't learn from those mistakes, and just repeats the exact same issues present in the theatrical cut of the original movie that everybody hates
Nov 16, 2021 6:52 PM

Oct 2012
Doc looks like a Ronaldinho skin in Fortnite
Nov 22, 2021 4:41 AM
Jul 2018
CGI and animation was great but the execution, dialogue, and facial expressions of the characters were not great!!
3/5 episode!!
Nov 28, 2021 6:14 PM
Mar 2020
Hmm seems interesting. Going to check out episode two. The animation was beautiful and smooth at times and kind of garbage at other times. Felt like a cutscene from a broken game. Episode two will probably be the deciding factor if I keep or drop this anime

Dec 15, 2021 6:22 PM

Oct 2017
When I came across this and saw the score I thought no way a series based on Blade Runner could be scored this low,.... but Oh Boy... it's actually scored too high.
I guess I could count myself lucky the publicity campaign for this series went right by me and I happened to stumble upon it just now,... so I wasn't hyped up about it.
A good thing because the disappointment would have been unmeasurable against my current feeling of "meh, wasn't expecting this anyway and won't be missing anything if I forget all about it again right now,...". which is in fact what I am about to do.
I am a huge fan of Blade Runner, well,... the classic movie that is... The sequel was OK I guess, I liked the little anthology stories that preceeded that sequel release, but this.... this is not what the franchise needed.
I would be very interested in an animated Blade runner and most certainly an ANIME version like the recent Star Wars anthology (and I don't care about the loophole explanation it was produced in Japan, this is not anime) and this could have been interesting if the story was more gripping than a common "memory loss" plot and the CGI didn't make the characters look like they were made out of wood,... and oh yeah,... if my most frequent thought about it wasn't "that's not how hair works".

As far as I'm concerned this is Blade Runner only for the backdrop against which it plays out but I find nothing of the mood and atmosphere of the original in this. Even if I leave aside the spoonfed narrative of the story there is nothing here that holds my interest even slightly and I will leave it at that.
I don't think it's fair to actually enter a score after watching only one episode but if I would it wouldn't go higher than a 2, maybe 3 if I feel extremely generous.

Misuta-KitsuneDec 15, 2021 6:39 PM
Jan 23, 2022 11:30 PM
Oct 2019
eh, it was ok. i'll see how the next few episodes go

the animation for everything but the people is great! lol. seriously, very lifelike scenes, but the people/replicants aren't quite as good as their surroundings...

5/10
Sep 25, 2022 1:12 PM
Jun 2019
So disappointing...
Especially after the masterpiece "Blackout" was.
Nov 20, 2022 4:37 PM

Feb 2009
giving this show a chance cause i love the OG movie. I'm not a fan of CGI anime/animation, BUT after watching SAC 2045 and loving it my view regarding CGI in anime has changed and I'm more open to watching them. Saying all that, after watching the first episode of Lotus I gotta say that wow really loved the CGI animation and style, I can see myself seeing more CGI anime titles like this if they're out there. I have not seen the latest CGI Ultraman title out there, but if it's decent then I'll give it a shot. Anyways as far as the first episode of Lotus, super good and entertaining, really captured the atmosphere of the OG movie. If I have to rate the episode I would give it a 4 out of 5.
Sep 3, 2023 7:45 AM

Nov 2010
I really like the dystopian setting of Blade Runner. I'm 100% sure that's where our society is heading in the future.
Elle looks cute! Then she became hot with that ponytail hairstyle and new outfit. I wish she kept the katana.
I wish they did 2D animation, but eventually, the show warmed up to me. Also, the fights look good in 3D. It's smooth!
I'm glad the OST sounds similar to the Blade Runner 2049. It's one of the things I enjoyed in the movie.
MizuhoKamuiSep 3, 2023 7:48 AM
May 30, 12:38 AM

Mar 2019
It doesn't seem like a promising anime, I didn't like this main character. ┐⁠(⁠´⁠ー⁠`⁠)⁠┌

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blade Runner: Black Lotus Episode 10 Discussion

Vysarine - Jan 15, 2022

12 by Jonas-K »»
May 30, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Blade Runner: Black Lotus Episode 8 Discussion

Vysarine - Jan 1, 2022

12 by Jonas-K »»
May 30, 6:09 PM

Poll: » Blade Runner: Black Lotus Episode 4 Discussion

Vysarine - Nov 27, 2021

19 by Jonas-K »»
May 30, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Blade Runner: Black Lotus Episode 13 Discussion

Vysarine - Feb 5, 2022

26 by Adnash »»
Dec 8, 2023 12:58 AM

Poll: » Blade Runner: Black Lotus Episode 12 Discussion

Vysarine - Jan 29, 2022

9 by MizuhoKamui »»
Sep 3, 2023 7:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.