Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 29, 2010 12:55 PM
Jan 2008
This topic is meant to touch on a very controversial subject surrounding this movie. Disney made this movie available in 2003 with a all-star voice cast and, perhaps controversially, a fully powered-up remix of the musical score. Reaction to it, like any of the other Disney-Ghibli dubs, was mixed. Hardcore fans blasted this new dub for whatever reason, declaring it to be an insult to Miyazaki, while others found it to be a delight. I fall into the latter category concerning this dub. I do acknowledge that Disney's dub of "Laputa" isn't a perfect dub by any means--there's a considerable amount of extra chatter (some of it works well, others feel too superfluous) and the leads are considerably more mature, but those are really the only two faults that I can find with it. And to me, they are relatively minor compared to everything else about the dub. The supporting cast is among the best I've ever heard in any of these Disney-Ghibli dubs. The ADR script, despite being loose from the Japanese at times, is smoothly written, funny, and very entertaining. And Joe Hisaishi's rescore, despite laying over some of the more crucial moments of silence, is absolutely breathtaking and really enhances the movie in many ways. All these great strengths compel me to stand by the dub and say that it is a very fine, if not purst-material, English track which actually holds up pretty well even after all the years.

There was an earlier dub prior to Disney's dub, however; this one was quickly and rapidly produced by an unknown company commissioned by Ghibli themselves. Dubs produced this quickly and under circumstances like this do not translate to quality dubbing, and sadly, this older dub of "Laputa" is no exception. Funnily enough, a lot of the harshest detractors of Disney's dub say that this older version is supposedly superior, but I just don't see it. While I will attest that the old dub of "Totoro" was pretty good (mainly because it was produced in-house by Streamline, and not before it was licensed), this old dub of "Laputa" is an entirely different matter. Despite the argument that it maintains the original music and effects tracks and doesn't have as much extra dialogue, it fails on every other level. For one thing, the ADR script is not particularly good, with a lot of lines that come across as painfully stilted, choppy, or inept: "I'm as hard as a brick moppet" and "Now say bye-bye!". While Disney's script probably did go overboard in adding in extra dialogue in places, their dialogue is considerably better written than this, in that it sounds more fluent and less stilted. That and the voices themselves are just not very good; I've heard these Streamline regulars turn in far better performances than the stale, lifeless line reads that they all give off in this older dub. Even the lead characters in the older dub are disappointing; while James and Anna probably DID make them sound more mature, their chemistry is far more natural compared to their Streamline counterparts, both of who sound like they're sleepwalking their way through the show and/or overacting badly. The same applies to the rest of the cast: Muska, Dola, the pirate brothers, and Uncle Pom all pale considerably to their Disney counterparts. The General was the only voice that didn't sound too bad, but Jim Cummings trumped him.

So in short, despite what purists say about Disney's dub, I stand firmly behind the view that it is the better dub, despite its drawbacks. The JAL dub may have its advantages, but it hasn't aged very well compared to the newer version.

If you think I don't deserve to be called a Ghibli fan or a LAPUTA-phile for liking Disney's version over the JAL dub, well, sorry, but I find that argument ridiculous. For the record, I DO like the Japanese version too, but that doesn't mean I think Disney's version is inferior. On the contrary. Both the Japanese version and Disney's dub have their pros and cons, and neither is better or worse than the other. They're only, well, different. And they're certainly of better quality than the JAL dub.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 20, 2010 4:24 PM

Mar 2009
I also loved the dubs, I've seen both this and spirited away in Japanese dub eng sub and English dubs... And I don't really find that it feels any differently to me, I love both versions of both films.
I think if it was an insult to Miyazaki-that Miyazaki would be the first to say so.
And I have never heard of any interviews from him where he shows any disappointment in Disney's dibbing.

I also think that people put to much anger into denying dubs and saying how horrible they are.
Everything can't be perfect-and not everyone can, or WANTS to watch Japanese dubs and read subs in their own language.
I've seen good dubs and bad ones, I just think people expend to much anger towards dubs as a whole. If they don't like it they shouldn't watch it. That's all.
Jun 3, 2010 2:00 PM
Jan 2008
windeen-windy said:
I also loved the dubs, I've seen both this and spirited away in Japanese dub eng sub and English dubs... And I don't really find that it feels any differently to me, I love both versions of both films.
I think if it was an insult to Miyazaki-that Miyazaki would be the first to say so.
And I have never heard of any interviews from him where he shows any disappointment in Disney's dibbing.

I also think that people put to much anger into denying dubs and saying how horrible they are.
Everything can't be perfect-and not everyone can, or WANTS to watch Japanese dubs and read subs in their own language.
I've seen good dubs and bad ones, I just think people expend to much anger towards dubs as a whole. If they don't like it they shouldn't watch it. That's all.

Exactly. Miyazaki didn't have any problem with Disney's dubs, which is why it always baffles me how anybody can say that the voices in their version of LAPUTA are all terrible and are unbearable, because to me, the opposite is absolutely true. This is why I really hate elitists who try to put anyone down for liking this dub or any other dub for that matter.
Sep 5, 2010 2:38 PM
Dec 2009
If Word of God says it's good, it's good.
Sep 2, 2011 8:40 PM
Feb 2011
Lol hey JTurner. We've had this discussion before. I LOVED the dub of Laputa. my only real annoyance with this dub was the script changes. I mentioned it when we talked about it before. The movie's message was changed when they altered sheeta's speech, and various other little things like changing Muska giving Pazu and Sheeta 3 minutes to talk to ONE minute. i was like "Wtf. WHY?" Pazu walks over slowly and hes only got one minute in the dub. but its actually 3. And Dola's bearded son opening the door to the ships kitchen and saying "I LOVE YOU." over just offering to help and not making it really awkward. Those are like.. my ONLY issues with the dub. LOVED the music score. I could live with Pazu and Sheeta's dub VAs easy if the script didn't take so many liberties.

And on a completely unrelated to Laputa note, the english dub of "Howl's Moving Castle" is AMAZING!!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Member Cards {open}

Laura-sama - Jun 6, 2010

32 by kirito_saiyan »»
Jun 28, 2015 5:56 PM

» 50+ LE [CLOSED]

anime-luv336 - Jul 30, 2010

21 by anime-luv336 »»
Aug 10, 2010 4:36 PM

» 100+ LE [NOT OPEN YET]

anime-luv336 - Jul 30, 2010

1 by anime-luv336 »»
Jul 30, 2010 6:03 PM

» ADMIN I NEED

S_Kerrigan - Mar 10, 2010

3 by anime-luv336 »»
Jun 19, 2010 9:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.