Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 10, 2019 11:12 PM

Oct 2010
Crunchyroll's Wilhelm Donko recently traveled to the Spanish town of Cuenca, the basis of Seize, and published the most thorough comparison of photos to SNW frames that I've seen to date. His "Anime vs. Real Life" article series has been running for over three years now.

The Infinite Zenith blog did this in 2012, featuring a couple more locations. Spanish site Fancueva posted a few comparisons back in 2010, only a month into the show's run.

Likely the most extensive survey of the area by a fan, though it mostly lacks anime frames for comparison, is the 2010 blog Relique Abandonée (contains anime spoilers), which offers several pages of photos.

Redditor Krazee9 posted here (contains anime spoilers) a translated quote from the SNW artbook, saying it was copied from an older Reddit thread, which I haven't been able to find. The quote is from "Tomoyuki Aoki, Art Setting." Here's his MAL page, where it seems his credits cut off after the letter M; I submitted a Setting credit for SNW. See also his ANN page.

Tomoyuki Aoki said:
We went location hunting with the staff members in a Spanish town called Cuenca, and took a number of research photos there. While I used the real town as my basis, many of the building interiors were fabricated. The Windmill doesn’t exist in the real town, either. And while the exterior of the Clocktower Fortress is modeled after the Parador (a Spanish state-run hotel), the interior spaces such as the dining hall and the girls’ rooms were constructed to have the “appropriate feel.” Achieving that feel is my job.

I took many different approaches in order to create “the culture of Seize,” which combines various cultures – including Japan’s – within the backdrop of Cuenca, Spain.

For example, tile-decorated spaces like The Windmill’s bathing room came from my memory of Mexican architecture. It’s one of the many architectural memories that I have of various cultures that I’m always studying in my own way. My architectural memories come from images that I don’t remember clearly; often from old photographs that I saw long ago. Also, while I was researching European architecture, I found that the decorative culture of Portugal fit in nicely with Seize’s culture as well.

The frequent use of tile decoration on this show had several effects. For one, it functioned as a common element between all of the locations that appear, such as the Clocktower Fortress, the glass studio in episode 4, and The Windmill. Unlike the scenery in a standard school anime, scenes of a foreign world don’t look very familiar, so having that special “something” that sticks in the audience’s memory lends the show a sense of reality. That’s the conclusion I came to in my search for a way to achieve, within the confines of a TV series, an architectural atmosphere that differs from that of Japan, England or America.

The location hunting we did in Cuenca yielded immeasurable results in depicting scenes both in the town and out in the wilderness. It gave us enough information and layout material for more than half a season’s worth of episodes. Such was the fruit of actually experiencing a location hunting excursion.

Furthermore, that common memory among the main staff facilitated smoother communication for us at the production studio. The art boards drawn by Mr. Kai, the art director, were full of charming colors. And based on those, Ms. Usui and the capable crew at Studio Easter produced fantastic backgrounds full of atmospheric light and shadows. I felt truly happy about that.

When I saw the completed first episode, there was a sense of reality to it, as though Kanata and the others really were living in the town of Seize. And I thought it fully achieved that “appropriate feel,” as though The Windmill and Clocktower Fortress really existed in the town of Cuenca. I think it turned out to be a brilliant, harmonic blend of the visual “sound” produced by all of the staff members.

Here's a 144p Spanish TV news segment about the brief wave of Japanese tourists who visited the town after the show aired:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80aHGTeSk_w
Sep 21, 2019 1:38 PM

Jun 2017
Very cool, thanks for the info!

More topics from this board

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maximatum99 - Mar 22, 2010

265 by Miyu-Miyuri »»
Aug 27, 2:18 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Nakei - Feb 1, 2010

118 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 28, 1:52 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Nakei - Jan 18, 2010

160 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 25, 10:15 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kerlyenai - Feb 15, 2010

142 by James-LastOmnic »»
Jan 19, 9:11 AM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Feb 22, 2010

140 by NECROMANCER_2003 »»
Jan 6, 2:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.