Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 27, 2016 8:46 AM

Dec 2012

Kazamatsuri just published this 5 minutes preview shown on a livestream on Niconico. We finally get to see our faceless protagonist. I really hope the anime does justice to the original visual novel. Considering the length of the original material, I doubt there will be any missing part, but we're never too sure. Anyway, I'm really hyped now, feels are coming again!

Are you hyped as well?
AchroMay 27, 2016 8:51 AM

Believing oneself to be perfect is often the sign of a delusional mind.

Small words, from a small being trying to attack what it doesn't understand !
May 27, 2016 8:55 AM

Nov 2015
that intro
the music
the chills
im nostalgia-ing a bit, remembering the little things, like the bow changing colour and the whatever number customer thing.
May 27, 2016 9:04 AM

Dec 2012
The music...
Gentle Jena means instant tears to me, I think I'll die the moment it plays in the anime... Glad it didn't play during the preview, I have a manhood to preserve (even though such thing can't exist with Key).

Believing oneself to be perfect is often the sign of a delusional mind.

Small words, from a small being trying to attack what it doesn't understand !
May 27, 2016 9:19 AM

Jun 2013
I'm so glad to be alive.
May 29, 2016 11:25 PM

Nov 2007
ED

Image Song

The single that includes both songs will be released on July 27.
http://www.ota-suke.jp/news/169080
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 31, 2016 10:07 PM
Jul 2018
Based on this preview:
- Doesn't exactly capture the same atmosphere as the VN.

- Music's way too prominent during downtime scenes ( when not much is happening, characters are traveling, doing tasks etc.).
Example: @ https://youtu.be/1rYhiJ8ZP_I?t=177
Why??
I'm pretty sure I'm overreacting and it's just music for the preview and it's not going to be a common thing during downtime scenes.
Many B-type series suffer from poorly-timed sound cues or bad sound design; I'm hoping this doesn't suffer the same.
Sometimes no music is better than forced ambient background music. Even when the Junker was exploring the Planetarium, faint audio of rain from outside or simple white noise I think would be more effective. If not, they could at least use remade/renditions of the original VN music.
I think whoever's doing their sound design is trying too hard to cram music even if it doesn't fit. Forced-in music really bothers me.

- I hope they properly establish the dangers of the toxic rain and ruined city. You already see the junker running around without his hood on; not the impression you get from the VN. The VN was very descriptive about how dangerous the rain had become due to nuclear fallout.
Do they animate him running around without a hood because they think it looks cooler?
From official Wiki: "He carries a grenade launcher with him and covers himself with a waterproof coat to protect his skin from the toxic rain."

- The war machines?
What were those? A cheesy chase scene just so you could move the protagonist into the Planetarium?
Personally for me that scene is a mega turn-off. It's something that multimedia consumers see on a daily basis.
If the Junker just runs out and kites them so easily then there's no sense of real danger. They don't appear as threatening in the animation as they were described in the VN. I hope they aren't all portrayed as tiny cutesy mini-bots with worse aim than storm troopers.

Anyway I might be over-analyzing and being way too picky. I just don't want this to be yet another animation where the source material is far superior.
The question then becomes, is this a story they're trying to tell, or a product they're trying to sell?
Jun 1, 2016 12:25 PM

Jun 2013
Cakedog said:
Based on this preview:
- Doesn't exactly capture the same atmosphere as the VN.

- Music's way too prominent during downtime scenes ( when not much is happening, characters are traveling, doing tasks etc.).
Example: @ https://youtu.be/1rYhiJ8ZP_I?t=177
Why??
I'm pretty sure I'm overreacting and it's just music for the preview and it's not going to be a common thing during downtime scenes.
Many B-type series suffer from poorly-timed sound cues or bad sound design; I'm hoping this doesn't suffer the same.
Sometimes no music is better than forced ambient background music. Even when the Junker was exploring the Planetarium, faint audio of rain from outside or simple white noise I think would be more effective. If not, they could at least use remade/renditions of the original VN music.
I think whoever's doing their sound design is trying too hard to cram music even if it doesn't fit. Forced-in music really bothers me.

- I hope they properly establish the dangers of the toxic rain and ruined city. You already see the junker running around without his hood on; not the impression you get from the VN. The VN was very descriptive about how dangerous the rain had become due to nuclear fallout.
Do they animate him running around without a hood because they think it looks cooler?
From official Wiki: "He carries a grenade launcher with him and covers himself with a waterproof coat to protect his skin from the toxic rain."

- The war machines?
What were those? A cheesy chase scene just so you could move the protagonist into the Planetarium?
Personally for me that scene is a mega turn-off. It's something that multimedia consumers see on a daily basis.
If the Junker just runs out and kites them so easily then there's no sense of real danger. They don't appear as threatening in the animation as they were described in the VN. I hope they aren't all portrayed as tiny cutesy mini-bots with worse aim than storm troopers.

Anyway I might be over-analyzing and being way too picky. I just don't want this to be yet another animation where the source material is far superior.
The question then becomes, is this a story they're trying to tell, or a product they're trying to sell?

Yeah bro, you're overreacting too much.

Based on the PV it looks great so far and of course it will be a bit different from the source material, because it needs to be adapted into an anime format. This isn't a visual novel where you see everything under the protagonist POV.

Personally, i loved the atmosphere they're putting into and It this keeps the same quality it will be for sure one of the best shows this year.
Jun 1, 2016 4:48 PM

Jun 2013
rebn12 said:
Murasa22 said:
i loved the atmosphere they're putting into and It this keeps the same quality it will be for sure one of the best shows this year.

Based on this PV that's what you got? I can already tell there is some hiccups going on even though I don't want to admit it. The atmosphere/feeling in this PV is very typical and it makes me think of a medium budget side project. The dungeon run type music they had playing while he was exploring was definitely awkward.
I was excited after hearing about this project can't help but be a little disappointed so far.

I'm sorry, but how can you be disappointed? You should be very glad atleast for this to have an anime treatment in the first place.

Like seriously, this is what i hate about elitists VN readers, they blame things even if there's nothing to blame and want everything to be exactly like they want it, its so childish..

What would it be the point of making an show EXACTLY the same way of the source material? I love the visual novel myself but we all should remember that some things MUST be changed for the sake of the non-vn readers.

"medium budget side project"

Are you kidding me?
Jun 1, 2016 7:00 PM

Nov 2015
Cakedog said:

- The war machines? . . . . .
What were those? ?

"light anti personnel drone" is hardly a frightening description.

I get what you are saying, but if I grew up in a world where bunny rabbits were trying to kill me. I'd think bunny rabbits are frightening. So their aesthetic really isn't important.
Jun 2, 2016 8:42 PM

Nov 2015
costs $5 on steam right now.
Jun 7, 2016 1:58 PM
Dec 2015
Murasa22 said:
rebn12 said:

Based on this PV that's what you got? I can already tell there is some hiccups going on even though I don't want to admit it. The atmosphere/feeling in this PV is very typical and it makes me think of a medium budget side project. The dungeon run type music they had playing while he was exploring was definitely awkward.
I was excited after hearing about this project can't help but be a little disappointed so far.

I'm sorry, but how can you be disappointed? You should be very glad atleast for this to have an anime treatment in the first place.

Like seriously, this is what i hate about elitists VN readers, they blame things even if there's nothing to blame and want everything to be exactly like they want it, its so childish..

What would it be the point of making an show EXACTLY the same way of the source material? I love the visual novel myself but we all should remember that some things MUST be changed for the sake of the non-vn readers.

"medium budget side project"

Are you kidding me?

Amen. People are nitpicking about everything. Maybe it's just me, but I was bored reading Planetarian for the most part during the beginning. The anime can change things like that. It has to have an appeal to anime viewers. VN adaptions aren't suppose to be a 1:1 adaption. They're suppose to promote the visual novel itself. VN's have choices that you can make, so of course it won't be a 1:1 adaption. But as Planetarian is a Kinetic VN, with no choices, sometimes, you'll have to change things if the original story has some boring points.

If Planetarian's anime was a 1:1 adaption and had/only had everything in the visual novel and nothing else (excluding the drama CD's), that would be horrid. Maybe if the anime adaption came out 10-12 years ago, it would have been recieved well and would have been selling well, but if the adaption was a 1:1 adaption after 12 years, it wouldn't sell well and wouldn't appeal to the majority of anime-only watchers, just because of how the anime industry has shaped and evolved over the years.

And I'd like to agree. We should be happy that Planetarian's even getting an anime after 12 years. Its a miracle that it even got an anime after 12 years of its irrelevancy. People should be happy that Planetarian and Rewrite, the 2 Key series that people said "would never get an anime adaption" are getting adaptions, both in this upcoming summer (Key's first time in history where an anime original/adaption from their own works are airing in the same season, actually, same year).

People need to actually WAIT until they see the entire adaption before they start critisizing and nitpicking it.

As someone who is familiar with Key's formula in their anime's and VN's, and the stories they tell, and as someone who has read Planetarian fully, I can honestly say that changing parts of the story wouldn't affect it much, but make it better, or appeal to anime-onlys more. As someone mentioned above, the toxic rain seems to have not affected the Junker, as it would have in the VN. That's just really nitpicking. The toxic rain does NOT play an important role in the story. It's just there to set the tone of the story. Normal rain would work find imo. It's not like it plays an important role in the story anyways. And as for the music. Music is music. Planetarian's Original Soundtrack isn't all that anyways. Gentle Gena is really the only song that shows beauty. The rest are average, which is why I'm glad they're making new BGM's for Planetarian's anime (especially since Shinji Orito is helping).
KurugayaTennoujiJun 7, 2016 2:02 PM
Jun 17, 2016 9:04 AM

Aug 2014
I liked the military and dark theme then this fucking cute robot girl coming in, fak this, this girl is a mistake... Why this robot must looks like this shit...
Jun 17, 2016 9:59 PM

Jun 2013
Zollty said:
I liked the military and dark theme then this fucking cute robot girl coming in, fak this, this girl is a mistake... Why this robot must looks like this shit...

Thats the point lol

This is a drama show and it's from Key, are you not familiar with their works?

But i can assure you that Planetarian (and also Rewrite) are their darkests stories from far, and you're going to cry rivers because of this cute little robot.
Jun 18, 2016 1:39 AM

Aug 2014
Murasa22 said:
Zollty said:

Thats the point lol

But i can assure you that Planetarian (and also Rewrite) are their darkests stories from far, and you're going to cry rivers because of this cute little robot.

As i see you like little cute girls, so its not problem for you, but i'm bored of them. I don't know who is "key" and i don't care, if i see good anime i just enjoy it. Here was alot of way to use design for this robot and they use most mainstream "little cute girl" she spoils the whole atmosphere of the anime.
Jun 18, 2016 2:02 AM

Jun 2013
Zollty said:
Murasa22 said:

Thats the point lol

As i see you like little cute girls, so its not problem for you, but i'm bored of them. I don't know who is "key" and i don't care, if i see good anime i just enjoy it. Here was alot of way to use design for this robot and they use most mainstream "little cute girl" she spoils the whole atmosphere of the anime.

"Key" its a visual novel company responsible for creating titles like CLANNAD, Kanon, AIR, Little Busters, Rewrite, Angel Beats and such. They're very well know for their emotional stories and they're also the responsibles for defining the "school romance genre" back with Kanon in 1998.

Planetarian is their only sci-fi history but, like any of the shows above, its more focused on the relationships of the characters than the world itself. It also tells a history of hope, which is represented by the "cute robot" Yumemi.

Yumemi serves as a contrast to the fucked up dead world that the protagonist is trying to survive and thats when the drama enters.

And about her design, its pretty much consistent with the original material, which was also kinda moe:

But things like this will also happen:

So, even if you don't like moe, i highly recommend you to stick with Planetarian. It's not just because its moe that the history won't be messed up :)
Jun 18, 2016 6:24 AM

Aug 2014
you always write so much when someone saying that he don't care? I will try ignore her while watching this anime but if she will be more annoying than she look, i will hate this anime for sure.
Jun 19, 2016 9:23 AM

Jun 2013
Zollty said:
you always write so much when someone saying that he don't care? I will try ignore her while watching this anime but if she will be more annoying than she look, i will hate this anime for sure.

So do me and everyone in here a favor and drop this show already, because she's one of the main focus in the history and you're going to see her A LOT.

Also, no one fucking cares if you're hating this or not, kid. Are you on your period?
Murasa22Jun 19, 2016 9:26 AM
Jun 19, 2016 9:36 AM

Aug 2014
Murasa22 said:
Zollty said:

So do me and everyone in here a favor and drop this show already, because she's one of the main focus in the history and you're going to see her A LOT.

Also, no one fucking cares if you're hating this or not, kid. Are you on your period?

I will do what i want, and why i should do a favor for you lel. If you don't care if i hatin or not why you talking about it cmon man, and sure i'm on period.
Jun 25, 2016 9:12 PM

Oct 2010
Murasa22 said:
Zollty said:

It's better to not waste your time with foolish children. Especially edgy ones that can't use proper punctuation/spelling (and use "lel" in 2016).

Now, actually on topic, I don't suppose anyone knows how often the episodes will be, since it's an ONA and all?

More topics from this board

» So, Anime or Visual novel?

ShikishimaKrile - Sep 21

5 by Chomusuke01 »»
Sep 24, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 3, 2016

179 by Grilled_Soup »»
Apr 13, 4:26 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

rsc-pl - Jul 27, 2016

92 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:58 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

rsc-pl - Jul 20, 2016

100 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:32 PM

Poll: » Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

rsc-pl - Jul 13, 2016

79 by Archean-Return »»
Oct 19, 2023 8:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.