Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 3, 2014 10:40 PM

Jul 2014
This time we will debate which is better, Sub or Dub!

[size=200][u] SUB VS DUB [/u]

[i][u]Sub (Subtitles[/i][/u]): Where the anime is voiced by Japanese voice actors and have english subtitles.

[i][u]Dub[/i][/u]: Where the anime is voiced by English voice actors

[center][size=130][u]Remember: to read the arguments before voting, and I highly encourage you all to say something!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 3, 2014 11:16 PM

Mar 2014
As a fan of both, I dont really lean towards one or the other more. There are different aspects that help me decide how I will watch an anime. If my favorite English voice actors (J. Michael Tatum, Johnny Yong, etc) are a main part in an anime, I will watch it dub, and that should be understandable by most. Sometimes I hear bad things about a dub and or I know for a fact the dub is terrible I will watch the sub instead (ex: Attack on Titan) I know there are for a fact some anime that the better experience would be Dub (Ex: Baccano!) Only english voices can get the accents done correctly. I say I watch both and I do like both but I will admit I find myself watching more dub than sub. In the end though, you still get the same story...just a different experience and dialogue.
Aug 4, 2014 2:36 AM

Jan 2014
Well, I think it really depends on what you usually watch, dub or sub.
I prefer sub, because I'm used to it and I think watching it with the original voices is always better than dub.
Aug 4, 2014 3:57 AM

Mar 2014
Subs most of the time because I rarely watch dubbed anime unless the dubbed version is received more positively than the subbed one (e.g Baccano!, Black Lagoon and of course Cowboy Bebop). Also, in my opinion, original Japanese voices are generally better and make more sense than dubbed English voices (aside from those examples I pointed out above). I may be wrong though since I haven't been into anime for that long and I have never rewatched an anime just to see how the dubbed version is.
Aug 4, 2014 8:12 AM
Jul 2018
Alright now let's get this one started! The infamous sub vs dub debate, that has many people vying for elitism or equality XD. I, for one, am favoured to the sub myself for various reasons. But before we do that let's look at the pros to dubs.

Dubs are anime translated into English to make it easier to watch anime for people in North America and other main English speaking cultures. This way people could understand the characters without having to look at close captions. At the same time it gives you differentiating voices that you hear more often and sound like someone you would naturally speak to. This is also done in games, commonly games ported from Japan. We sometimes find it hard to keep up with everything on the screen if we are also reading exactly what the character is saying. This causes a certain disconnect between the audience and the show. People don't want to take the time to train their eyes to multitask on the screen. Now while all this is very easy to understand, at the same time people don't feel like it is necessarily the right way and takes away from the source material.

Subs are a translation through closed captions for people who wish to watch in the original language the anime was done in. This source material is exactly how the creator intended it to be and you can fully watch their vision. While in the dub version they have to change the dialogue to fit the moving of the mouths for the characters, which causes the dialogue to ultimately change and might not be as fluid. If you try listening to the dub with the sub playing on the screen for the DVDs or the Blu-rays, they don't match. While the source material is changed, so are the characters as they are portrayed by different voice actors. We commonly get the superficial problem of "He/she didn't sound anything like I wanted him/her to!" It's a problem no matter how ultimately stupid it is and causes disconnect. Even the quality of the voice-acting differentiates from time to time. Before the Cowboy Bebop dub, anime dubbing was considered sub-par and often seen as bad. That is because before such pieces like Cowboy Bebop, there wasn't a lot of money placed into the industry for dubbing since it didn't really hit it big until big movies and shows like Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop made anime popular in North America. Even today as well, we do get the umpteen amount of bad dubs of characters sounding too overly whiny or overacted. Even though we are in an age where dubs are now coming out for popular pieces. If you want to watch some anime, you can only do so in sub because nobody will dub it. It is also the problem of licensing anime which could cause that, but I digress. Subs ultimately are the better medium to watch in if one truly cares about the source material.

While this sub elitism sprouted from veteran anime watchers who believe the source material is the only thing, it is definitely not shared throughout the community. I for one love the dubs from shows like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Fate/Zero, Shiki, and others. You need to ultimately decide for yourself which of the two you would prefer for the anime. Anime is a world of expression, beauty of animation, sadness, heartache, happiness and ultimately art. It is how you perceive it that should truly matter. So for this debate I'm just going to leave it with a tied for myself since its anyone's game here.
Aug 4, 2014 8:45 AM

May 2014
It really depends for me, for some anime I feel like dub is better, but the sub is more coming. So, I can't say I like any better, it's just as simple as availability. Subs are much easier to find, so yea I guess subs.
Aug 9, 2014 6:54 AM

Nov 2013
Although it doesn't matter that much to me, do I prefer sub above dub.
yes, you must watch at multiple things, but at leat you get the real voices, which you would miss with the dub-version
''Every life is valuable, but only yourself could give it a meaning''
Aug 23, 2014 11:56 PM
Mar 2014
I generally prefer Sub over Dub, though it doesn't matter too much.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Sword Art Online VS No Game No Life

Murica - Jul 21, 2014

6 by itsashxo »»
Nov 4, 2017 11:50 PM

Sticky: » Introduction Page

Murica - Jul 19, 2014

29 by LeCrowe »»
Dec 25, 2014 8:16 PM

» Member Cards!

Murica - Aug 1, 2014

3 by 2SwOrDsMaN7 »»
Aug 2, 2014 6:20 PM

Poll: » Test Discussion Gon Vs. Netero

_Dazzle_ - Jul 19, 2014

2 by _Dazzle_ »»
Jul 25, 2014 6:29 PM

» Oreimo Best Girl

Foodperson - Jul 23, 2014

3 by Hibbington »»
Jul 23, 2014 11:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.