Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 2, 2014 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Day 4. After that little meeting, I'm pretty hyped to see how this match goes.
May 2, 2014 9:12 AM

Dec 2011
This match seems will be an amazing one...wish they could release 20 chapters i one day
May 2, 2014 12:20 PM

Oct 2011
I have afeeling hell embarass himself in front of his dad
May 2, 2014 12:21 PM

Mar 2008
Does certainly give the feeling this will be a tough one. Figures really that all 3 upcoming matches are going to be against guys legitimately capable of winning this tournament.

This does give the feeling it will be a more interesting matchup than with Okada. No offense to Okada, but that's how I see it. This is more innate talent and skill from a young age vs. insane work and picking up the game abnormally later on. Now there are some generalizations in there since this guy did have to rehab, but it's a general statement.

This will be quite the match with his parents watching and everything on the line. Will get to see Ei-chan really pushed to the brink.

Also did anyone else think the last page with that guy staring at his racket was....a little creepy?
May 27, 2014 1:00 AM

Jan 2013
This is going to be one hell of a game. Long and challenging, he may even lose. I don't want that to happen, but his opponent is being hyped up well.
Aug 6, 2014 6:02 AM

Aug 2010
This is giving me some creeps. Ogata's face at the last page was definitely seemingly Rape face like XD

He feels dangerous but I'm liking his character ^^

Maruo's dad is here so that's nice :D He's hyper XD

I expected Nacchan to be facing Aki since the vol cover was Nacchan but I guess it won't be til later?

I hope this match isn't THAT long ^^;
Jun 10, 2017 12:12 PM

Jul 2013
This one's going to be tough, but I doubt Maruo will lose. Typically in this series, characters that are slotted in quickly are praised to hell like they're the best player in the world, only to be used as a tool to show Maruo's progression.

I also doubt they'd introduce Kanada (I think that's he's name) as a major powerhouse in the tourney so early, only to have Maruo beaten relatively early on. But then again, Nabae was introduced in the same way. I'm hoping for a quick match on with this one.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Apr 9, 2018 1:01 AM

Jun 2016
The bracket page was helpful! My predictions are:
Araya will beat Sumiyoshi since we've hardly seen him or learned much about him. Even his introduction was in a tiny panel.

Nabae will beat the person he's slotted against since I don't even know who they are.

This will lead to an Araya vs Nabae match which is heavily favored for Nabae so we can get a third match against Maruo in the finals. This also by the fact that Nabae only lost to Ide and Araya recently because he was trying new things to improve specifically to face Maruo and because Araya could barely win with his own game against Araya challenging him in it. That said, Baby Steps has been crazy in these decisions in the past and an Araya - Maruo finals could be just as exciting, if not more! It would also be a rematch for them and it would be another titan that Maruo has come close to beating but hasn't yet. I certainly see Nabae winning this, but I can't say it with 100% certainty.

Kanda looks to be facing Shirae from the image who we saw he was close with in his introduction. Kanda will win as he's been characterized and hyped up for awhile now but it will probably be a good and emotional match.

Maruo will almost definitely beat Ogata since he hadn't been explored too much until this chapter and we won't even get a Kanda vs Maruo match if he loses here. That said, Ogata was hyped up to be quite scary, and his positive mental game even scares me! To see an injury as nothing more than a learning experience and take it in stride is intense! I think Maruo has to win this one for plot reasons but it won't be easy...

If Maruo loses to Kanda he'll need to rely on a sponsorship and he will no longer be eligible to enter the international tournament or the pro tournament. This means he won't even have a chance to see his American friends again, and it will also rob him of a real official match against Takuma in the pro tournament! Even though Kanda has been characterized and hyped up far before now like Ogata was and was even said to be possibly better than Nabae if I recall, I don't think he's going to win this one.

This all leading up to a very likely Maruo vs Nabae finals where they get their third match together. That, or an unlikely match with Araya. Either way it will be their third game together and one in a trilogy of matches that only got closer and closer for Maruo. This makes me think Maruo has a better chance than ever at winning, there's no way he could lose a third in a row- especially to Nabae! But, that would be the most Baby Steps thing possible, to make Maruo lose even here, in the finals, yet again. One of its biggest strengths is portraying the unpredictability of competition so I cannot doubt that he'll lose, but still gain the opportunities of seeing his American friends and playing Takuma.
May 19, 9:50 PM

Mar 2014
his parents are about to learn how good he is lmao

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 455 Discussion

Kuma - May 22, 2023

10 by killerqueen2000 »»
Aug 14, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 454 Discussion

Sekaiou - May 28

0 by Sekaiou »»
May 28, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 447 Discussion

Sekaiou - May 28

0 by Sekaiou »»
May 28, 2:46 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 409 Discussion

Kuma - Mar 8, 2021

1 by Sekaiou »»
May 27, 9:41 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Chapter 392 Discussion

Kuma - Aug 17, 2020

1 by Sekaiou »»
May 27, 9:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.