Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 16, 2009 7:21 PM
Jul 2009
I'm just curious to know what your first impression was on Kaze Hikaru.

My first impression : I didn't read Kaze Hikaru until volume 7 or 8 came out on sale. So it was a big shock to me that I didn't read it when volume 1 came out on sale. I was totally mad at myself that I missed something this good. So that's when I started reading Kaze Hikaru. Not alot of my friends read this kind of manga so that was why I never really got into it. (Until now)

I'm just so into reading it now. Even though I'm confused about the time era. (And the war going on, plus there was alot of characters too.)
paigy_loliAug 17, 2009 8:41 AM
If I'm no longer replying back, means my life is busy. As simple as that. Will get back as life settle down.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 16, 2009 10:43 PM

May 2007
I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't pick up instantly this manga :D

I read about it when the 6th volume was published - I was searching for manga related to Shinsengumi, read basically everything, but didn't really find what I was expecting. And that's when I found Kaze hikaru :) The style seemed very odd and a bit ugly for the first time, but then I realized that it's nice to read a shoujo manga drawn in a different style :D And thank God it didn't have any fantasy plot, blond characters, and Okita was finally shown as a twenty-something man - not as a child, and not as the disease-guy XD Though, I have to admit that my first thought was 'omg, a HanaKimi ripoff... >__>', but I realized they are totally different.
The other thing that surprised me is that it's a really bloody shoujo-manga. I was like 'wait, how can something like THIS run in a shoujo magazine? O__o' XDD

Anyway, I'm glad I found this series, it changed my life in many aspects, taught me a lot of things, and became a source of inspiration for fanfics XD
'I think of my fellow men from the Shieikan as my lifelong comrades. My most proud and precious good fortune has been to have met all of you, Soji.' [Yamanami Keisuke, vice-commander, Shinsengumi]
Aug 17, 2009 3:53 AM

May 2007
I first read it in Shojo Beat, and when they discontinued it I was gutted. So I went out and bought the volumes and have been collecting them since!
I love how the history comes first, and slight tweakings of the story make it hilarious at times, yet it can turn serious or romantic so easily.
And the artwork is excellent too.

Aug 18, 2009 11:48 AM

Aug 2009
I think I actually did start reading it when it first came out, or soon after. I don't even remember the thought process that led me to pick it up anymore (I didn't subscribe to SB, I don't normally read much history- or fantasy-based manga) but I'm so glad I did. I really appreciate the care that goes into the artwork, and creating the world all these great characters live in. Learning about the historical details in the bonus pages at the end is always a blast. And oh man, talk about a series that brings me laughter and tears!! Fyndra, just reading your signature made me want to cry... (but it's a good thing)!

I also really like seeing the pattern of seasons on the covers. It's a nice, purposeful way of conveying the passage of time, or showing how valuable life is, or something...

edit: Oh, paigy, I know what you mean about the history being confusing. It probably took me two or three rereads of the earlier volumes before I started to remember everyone's names, and even when I went back and reread the whoooole series (up to v13 or whatever) a few months ago, I realized I had totally forgotten about some of the events. But it's a great way to learn a bit about the history! (although the fact that most of the characters were real people and you can find out what happens to them later on can be depressing... but I trust that Watanabe-sensei will handle it beautifully, when that time comes)
lysAug 18, 2009 11:55 AM
Aug 21, 2009 12:14 PM

Apr 2009
I was in a huge Shinsengumi kick a few months back, and tried to find as many Shinsengumi related anime and manga as I could. Found some scanlations/scans on Mangafox and started reading without realising it was being published in English.

It bothered me a little at first that it was classified as a shoujo manga, considering some of the action and history elements in it.

The story is great, and it was awesome how the mangaka weaved together events in the story with historical events. She seems to be putting a lot of effort into researching to get facts right.

When I started reading this I was already very familiar with most of the characters (Hijikata, Okita, Kondo, Sano, Shinpachi) and the first chapter was very exciting for me as it's always fun looking at different people's rendition of them.
Aug 30, 2009 11:17 PM
Jul 2009
I always loved the old samurai stuff (which are kinda hard to find or I can't find them) and when I first picked up this book, from a library XD, I was hooked on! Sei-chan and Soji-kun are so cute! ^^ I love how there any many character developments and lots of side stories. I hardly dig romance-type mangas/anime and I absolutely love this one. Thanks for making this club a possibility!

Saskie
Sep 30, 2009 4:46 PM
Jul 2009
lys said:

edit: Oh, paigy, I know what you mean about the history being confusing. It probably took me two or three rereads of the earlier volumes before I started to remember everyone's names, and even when I went back and reread the whoooole series (up to v13 or whatever) a few months ago, I realized I had totally forgotten about some of the events. But it's a great way to learn a bit about the history! (although the fact that most of the characters were real people and you can find out what happens to them later on can be depressing... but I trust that Watanabe-sensei will handle it beautifully, when that time comes)

Thanks for pointing that out, I totally forgot about this.
If I'm no longer replying back, means my life is busy. As simple as that. Will get back as life settle down.
Jul 3, 2010 6:05 PM

Jun 2010
My first impression, hmm..
The reason why I came across Kaze Hikaru is similar to Raitora's reason...being a shinsengumi fan lately I was searching for stuff that's related to it.

Kaze Hikaru is a manga full of historical stuff and I really enjoyed learning about the facts that I never knew. The artwork is good, and the story is realistic enough. It becomes violent at times but it has its light hearted moments too. I love how the mangaka portrays Souji and I'm very glad that she didn't make him cough up blood in the Ikedaya incident. T^T
Jul 4, 2010 8:45 AM
Jul 2009
-Haineko said:
My first impression, hmm..
The reason why I came across Kaze Hikaru is similar to Raitora's reason...being a shinsengumi fan lately I was searching for stuff that's related to it.

Kaze Hikaru is a manga full of historical stuff and I really enjoyed learning about the facts that I never knew. The artwork is good, and the story is realistic enough. It becomes violent at times but it has its light hearted moments too. I love how the mangaka portrays Souji and I'm very glad that she didn't make him cough up blood in the Ikedaya incident. T^T

Really, that's awesome. I do agree that it has it's moment. (shinsengumi are so cool, I like their uniforms.)
Jul 29, 2010 10:37 PM
Jun 2010
I don't quite remember how I picked it up. I think it was either I randomly selected the title and looked at it. Then I thought it was a good story line, so I bought it. I read the chapter in volume 3 in ShojoBeat and thought it was hilarious. I kept meaning to buy that volume, but still haven't (since I thought I already bought it, so I would buy the next book). It is really good. I stopped reading it at volume 6 or 7, since they were slow to come out. Now I am rereading them and like how it has gotten so far. Trying to learn what is going to happen in the future, but it is quite hard to find out. Glad that more people like it because none of my friends have read this manga.
Jul 30, 2010 9:46 AM
Jul 2009
mysticbunny said:
Glad that more people like it because none of my friends have read this manga.

Same here! I don't know why but I don't see alot of people reading it, even if the people I know or my friends. I was really surpised.
Jun 4, 2013 12:17 PM

Jan 2013
i knew i will like it ^^ hehe the art is very beautiful
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Kaze Hikaru fanfiction/fanart?

PVo3Ctraf9g9YyLu - Sep 2, 2009

6 by PVo3Ctraf9g9YyLu »»
Oct 1, 2009 10:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.