Forum Settings
Forums

GREAT DEBATE: Which is cooler? Unlimited Blade Work vs. Mystic Eye's of Death Perception

New
Unlimited Blade Work vs. Mystic Eye's of Death Perception
Jul 21, 2009 12:27 PM

Sep 2007
vs.

Archer's Unlimited Blade Work Summary:

Within Unlimited Blade Works exist all the raw materials and sorcery required to facilitate Tracing, allowing Archer to reconstruct any bladed weapon merely by seeing it. Furthermore, his tracing allows him to inherit the combat skills of those who previously used his weapon, granting him instant proficiency with whatever he traces. However, human imagination cannot fully conceptualize the existences of an object through only one sense, so the quality of enchantment on each traced weapon will be degraded by one rank, never equaling the original. Swords, spears, and halberds are favored, but shields are also replicable. Archer is also able to levitate weapons within his Reality Marble, arcing blades into the sky and then raining them down on opponents. Most of the Noble Phantasms in Unlimited Blade Works are copies of legendary weapons archived inside Gate of Babylon, although several others were traced by Archer later during his lifetime. ( Wikipedia)

Shiki Tohno Mystic Eye's of Death Perception Summary:

Mystic Eyes of Death Perception is an incredibly powerful pseudo-magical effect. The eyes are not really different set of eyes but are a circuit that opens up in the user's brain and normal eyes, allowing him to see the eventual fated destruction of an object or entity expressed as small points on the object or entity's body and as thin glowing reddish black lines that extend from those points and crawl over the body. Along with the perception is the ability to trace the lines without much exertion; doing so effectively realizes the fated destruction, and the victim is cut along those lines. Because this destruction is destined, this method of injury ignores any of the victim's defenses; armor, magical protection, and so forth are useless. When a dot is pierced, the victim's concept is destroyed. This method of killing is apparently absolute; it bypasses even reincarnation, and can even be used against a collective entity. The only entity immune is Tatari, since that entity does not exist. As it erases existence, then by extension, the Mystic Eyes of Death Perception can also destroy non-physical things, such as spells, thoughts, magecraft, and even nature.( Wikipedia)

DEBATE!!!

aznHoopsfanJul 21, 2009 3:33 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 21, 2009 12:47 PM

Sep 2007
i'm gonna have to go with unlimited blade works here :P just cause sending your opponent into an alternate reality and attacking him/her with things you conjure up in your mind, in this case swords, thats just a classier way of taking down your opponents...
Jul 21, 2009 1:12 PM

May 2008
And what exactly are we debating here?

What looks cooler?

Or is this another Shiki vs. Shirou dispute?

Jul 21, 2009 1:13 PM

Nov 2008
Unlimited Blade Works. Well Mystic Eyes of Death perception is more almighty, but it's limited by the user's brain capacity and imagination extremely.In short you can kill anythingif it's from earth or has connections with Gaia, even phenomeons or spells. Actually you must get in range and touch it, not to mention you must first imagine it existing or as something can be killed.
On the other hand Unlimited Blade Works is a rather simple-to-use thing. Conviniently Shirou participated in the 5th Grail War and saw many powerfull Noble Phantasms.
After some training he should be able to use Excalibur too. And we know well there's hardly anything stronger than a blast from Excalibur:p

In the end I think Unlimited Blade Works because of a single fact. A mere human can't avoid any of those powerfull Noble Phantasm(especially Excalibur). And Except Roa(who got his eyes by "stealing " it from shiki) there's no other non-human EoDP users and I think it's impossible to attain for anyone other than a human.
P.S.: I think Rule breaker could have a great use in Tsukihime. Because it nullifies contracts or other connections I think it's usefull to sever the connection between the vampire's blood and the victim(Dead, Ghoul or fresh Dead Apostole)
willyverebJul 21, 2009 1:18 PM
Jul 21, 2009 1:13 PM

Sep 2007
Seventh-Prodigy said:
And what exactly are we debating here?

What looks cooler?

Or is this another Shiki vs. Shirou dispute?

Leaning toward which of their power is cooler :P
Jul 21, 2009 1:21 PM

Sep 2007
Inb4 incoming shitstorm!

Seriously, you're just begging for it.

This is just as bad as Gilgamesh Vs. Shiki Tohno.

Just for the record Tohno's mind would collapse (read: overload/melt) from trying to understand Reality Marbles or even Servants in order to attempt to use Mystic Eyes against them.

Were it to be Ryougi Shiki's, the case would completely take a 360º turn.

My vote is therefore null, much because ORT rapes everything in the Nasuverse.
Jul 21, 2009 2:14 PM

Mar 2009
:/
well in this case I go with unlimited blade works, but if it was shiki instead, I would deffinitely go with mystic eyes.
Ouran12Jul 21, 2009 2:23 PM
Jul 21, 2009 2:20 PM

Apr 2008
Eye of Death is pretty badass in terms of power but seriously, UNlimited Blade Work is way up there when in comes to badassness. Archer is just that cool, more than Galgamesh even if he's using the same power (in a way) but in a more powerful version.
Jul 21, 2009 3:30 PM

Sep 2008
ur missing the eye's power from canaan and ryougi shiki!!!
Jul 21, 2009 4:00 PM

Jan 2008
Massaki said:

Just for the record Tohno's mind would collapse (read: overload/melt) from trying to understand Reality Marbles or even Servants in order to attempt to use Mystic Eyes against them.

This can be debatable since Tohno's eyes were powerful enough to kill True Ancestor Arcuied. If he can do that, it should be sufficient to kill a Servant, his noble phantasms, or Archer's Reality Marble. However, your right in that it would take him forever to figure it out.

Personally, I do prefer UBW. Untold horrors would be said if a human had the ME of DP. UBW also allows the user to create virtually any weapon and the knowledge to use it. Who's to say we don't make some use over it.
Jul 21, 2009 4:03 PM

Dec 2007
We don't know yet whether Canaan will be a part of Nasuverse. And... well I can understand why Shiki is not here, but I think she would be a better representant of the MEoDP.

I think I'd go with UBW... but then again - if it was Ryougi Shiki I'd have a pretty big dilemma...

-=Real, 100% Lelouch Lamperouge Zealot=-
Jul 21, 2009 4:42 PM

Feb 2008
If we are talking about an UBW VS Mystic Eyes
Then Mystic Eyes wins.
Why? Becous UBW has a fated end as well as Archer can't suply it forever so it has the fate to end...and do to that Nanaya can probably bot stab UBW and make it disapear.

If we are talking about wich one is more useful / powerful in general then I'd go whit UBW as it is more versetile then Mystic Eyes. For Mystic Eyes you will have to get close enough and have extream accuracy to pull of cuting / stabing the line / dot. As for UBW you can just Excaliblast and what not anything in your path.
ZeroInuzuka said:
Massaki said:

This can be debatable since Tohno's eyes were powerful enough to kill True Ancestor Arcuied. If he can do that, it should be sufficient to kill a Servant, his noble phantasms, or Archer's Reality Marble. However, your right in that it would take him forever to figure it out.

Personally, I do prefer UBW. Untold horrors would be said if a human had the ME of DP. UBW also allows the user to create virtually any weapon and the knowledge to use it. Who's to say we don't make some use over it.

It's not that he can't understand Servants. It's that servants have no line / dot what so ever. Becous they don't really exist in that time / place. But I think it's a different story whit the actuall UBW. But who knows.

As for Ryougi. Yeh she can use the Mystic Eyes more frealy plus she can slash more thing ( such as fujinos thouts coming at her ) but unlike Nanaya Ryougi can't se dots. Only lines.
Revillo_PhoenixJul 21, 2009 4:45 PM
Jul 21, 2009 7:47 PM

Oct 2008
Mystic Eye's of Death Perception. Because with that, no matter how you try to defend a attack of Shiki, you will be killed, and the Mystic Eye's of Death Perception is one of most powerful skill in the world

Remember that your dreams are the wings that will help you fly
Jul 21, 2009 10:56 PM

Sep 2007
Personally, I am going to go with UBW. This contest is not about who would win in a fight using those powers, but about which one is cooler.

Being able to create a Reality Marble where an infinite number of weapons can be made (and almost any sword can be replicated to near its full strength) easily beats being able to slice anything apart or erase anything's existence in my opinion (I'm just more of a sword guy I guess).

Where would the fun be if you just cut or pierce someone in the right line/point if it means instantly beating them? By using UBW, a longer, more exciting battle can take place!

Sure, in a fight the Mystic Eye's of Death Perception could beat UBW...but in terms of coolness, UBW wins big time. Creating Excalibur from scratch and having almost 100% potential can be unbelievably devastating to an opponent, but at least they will think "Man that was cool!" instead of going "OH SH-" when their existence gets erased. =)
Jul 22, 2009 2:46 AM

May 2009
well i think if they fight each other on long range the unlimited blade works own ... but if its short range ... then Mystic eyes have the upper hand

nd in coolness ... UBW owns XD
Jul 22, 2009 4:45 AM

Aug 2007
UBW. Swords are cooler than 'I already know how to kill you'-eyes.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Jul 22, 2009 5:03 AM

Mar 2008
that depend which death eyes is being use, in the case UBW would have the upper hand, since sjiki's death eye could only target living object, it only work on archer and he need to have the skill to cut it(which he probally can't since archer got more battle experience)but if ryougi's death eye is being use then is pretty much pwn everything and she have the skill to pwn everything, since her eye destroy the origin of the object, it work on pretty much anything, even magic so is nearly unblockable(unless archer can dodge her slash, but ryougi also got good fighting skill so she would win)even avalon can't block it since if the origin is destroy, avalon never even existed
Jul 22, 2009 6:53 AM

Jul 2007
i personally feel that UBW would be cooler, anyway Mystic eye's of death perception has a range disadvantage, so it's a little like a sword going against a gun. In this case UBW being the gun will Mystic eye's of death perception being the sword.
Jul 22, 2009 8:03 AM

Nov 2008
ZeroInuzuka said:
Massaki said:

The problem's simple. The True Ancestors are much closer beings to Gaia then the (altered) Heroic Spirits. In some sense to the eyes it's easier to understand a Vampire than a human. Perhaps because the user's human he can understand humans the best and not to mention their existances not as powerfull as a True Ancestor's.
Not to mention the Servants are a huge concentrated mass of prana. Nasu explained if Shiki(being it Tohno or Ryougi) kills a Servant the huge amount of prana simply explodes in a violent blast(like an A class magic probably). Probably the same with the Noble Phantasms. It's probably because their death means complete destructuion and dissapearance.
Jul 22, 2009 9:06 AM

Dec 2007
sjiki's death eye could only target living object

Actually that's not true. He destroyed a chair to show Arcrueid his power, and in Ciel's route

Also, it's clearly stated at the beginning that "walls were covered in strange lines" (not really a quote, but what's important is the point)

Due to the fact that in Tsukihime there aren't any magi like in Kara no Kyoukai we don't know whether he can cut magical circles etc. like Ryougi does... unless there was something about this on the extra discs, I didn't "play" (or should I write "read") anything besides Tsukihime itself.
MauroxJul 22, 2009 10:33 AM

Jul 22, 2009 9:28 AM

Mar 2008
Mystic Eye IS cooler. But overall with the looks etc. I guess unlimited blade works is better.
Jul 22, 2009 1:00 PM

Mar 2008
devil19 said:
i personally feel that UBW would be cooler, anyway Mystic eye's of death perception has a range disadvantage, so it's a little like a sword going against a gun. In this case UBW being the gun will Mystic eye's of death perception being the sword.

who cares about distance when u can warp and obliterate reality, in fact she can just destroy the ubw with 1 attack

Tohno SHIKI (Roa)(can't do crap against ubw): Technically speaking, these are not "true" mystic eyes of death perception; his ability is to see the life force, and it is because he sees the life force, and not actually the death, that these Mystic Eyes of Death Perception are not considered true MEoDP. Consequently, these eyes are limited to killing living things and can be used to directly damage or annihilate someone's life force.

Nanaya Shiki(useful, but have limitation and shiki can't fight archer for his life): His MEoDP allows him to perceive the death of any concrete, physical existence. In this case, the eyes can be used to annihilate the "existence" of the object. When applied to a living person's body, it doesn't directly "kill them" but rather "annihilates their existence" and because something that doesn't exist cannot live, the world will correct the contradiction and bring "death" to the nonexistent person. In this way, Nanaya Shiki's eyes and Tohno SHIKI (Roa)'s use of their eyes can be viewed as ultimately different: While Tohno SHIKI (Roa) can only kill "life" and bring it "death," Nanaya Shiki can kill the "existence," which, if applied to a living object, will consequently result in a "life" "dying." However, Shiki has been known to kill things that have not yet fully assumed physical form. An example of this would be when he killed the Tatari in Melty Blood before he had true form in the world.

Ryougi Shiki(pretty much destroy anything archer thrown at her): Her MEoDP allows her to perceive the death of anything that exists. Whether it is a person, an object, a ghost, a disease, a thought lingering in someone's mind, magecraft, a barrier, a psychic attack, etc., so long as it exists, she can kill it. (In fact, she claims that if god exists, she could kill him.) Evidently, what Ryougi Shiki kills is not so much the existence itself like Nanaya does, but instead the origin behind it. Contrary to what the OVAs may lead one to conclude, her eyes are permanently active, but she doesn't suffer any strain from this.

Ryougi Shiki (Void)(*archer cast ubw*, *slash* what ubw? did anything just happen? oh she just destroy the ubw......): The hidden, third personality of Ryougi Shiki. In fact, it is this personality that is directly connected to the root of all things. Her mystic eyes are much the same as the normal Ryougi Shiki's, only much, much more powerful. This is the personality that faces Araya Souren with the katana in the novels. At her rank, she can see Araya Souren's death with ease (the regular Shiki needs to focuse intently). She can also kill a concept such as the distance between her and an enemy, allowing her to move in a way that we're not entirely certain if she was merely incredibly fast or genuinely warping through space. Beyond that, she can kill multiple things within a single motion. She also claims that it would be trivially easy for her to annihilate reality.

(for those who seen the first few movie of kara, shiki's other personality is talking i think)
Kara no Kyoukai, Original Epilogue. "Right, that is Shikis power. Like Fujino she can see channels that normal people can't see, she is able to see the spiral of origin with her eyes. But, I can go even deeper. No... maybe I myself am that spiral." ".... Spiral of origin, its where all cause and effect begin, where everything and nothing exist, that is my true identity. Even though we are just connected, but since I am part of it, I too am an equivocal existence, right? That is why I can do anything..hmm like restructuring the laws governing atomic matter, or go back in time to change the evolution and development of all life, to reconstruct the orders and laws of this world is easy for me too. Not making change to the existing world, but rather annihilate the old one with a new reality."

YggdrasilJul 22, 2009 1:15 PM
Jul 23, 2009 6:18 AM

Mar 2008
Shiki's Eye
Jul 23, 2009 4:01 PM

Dec 2007
Holy crap... I never read the novels, but if Yggdrasil speaks truth about Ryougi's powers then... I Really have to change opinion on those powers. The idea of "Killing a concept such as a distance between her and the enemy" is just an overkill.

Jul 24, 2009 9:00 AM

Apr 2008
I haven't seen either series, but from reading about them I'd have to go with UBW. It looks cool, and the only downside seems to be weaker weapons.
Jul 25, 2009 5:56 AM

Sep 2007
Maurox said:
We don't know yet whether Canaan will be a part of Nasuverse.

It's not. Cannan is one of the bonus scenarios that Nasu wrote for the Wii's 428 game.
May 8, 2013 11:09 AM
Mar 2013
Personally I think that MEoDP is much stronger (especially shiki's) but since this isn't strength I went for UBW because.......... it's just so damn BADASS!!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Poll: » THE GREAT DEBATE: Who is the better strategist? Lelouch vi Britannia vs. Light Yagami ( 1 2 )

madskizzles - Jul 29, 2009

53 by -__Raven__- »»
May 6, 2021 2:52 PM

Poll: » THE GREAT DEBATE: Which eye ability is better? Sharingan (Naruto) vs. Geass (Code Geass)? ( 1 2 )

aznHoopsfan - Aug 2, 2009

65 by A231 »»
Nov 18, 2019 12:34 AM

Poll: » THE GREAT DEBATE: Is Kira/Light's view of the world correct or is killing of criminals wrong?

aznHoopsfan - Nov 28, 2009

45 by MATTY_22 »»
Jun 1, 2017 7:59 PM

Poll: » THE GREAT DEBATE: Who's more psycho? Shion Sonozaki (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni) vs. Lucy (Elfen Lied)?

aznHoopsfan - Sep 18, 2009

39 by toothless1504 »»
Jan 27, 2017 12:32 AM

Poll: » THE GREAT DEBATE: Which is better? Girls with guns or guys with swords? ( 1 2 )

aznHoopsfan - Nov 6, 2009

59 by Menchrese »»
Oct 24, 2015 8:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.