Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 2, 6:04 AM
Mar 2021
I mean AOT is an enjoyable experience but I really don't like the idea of it being the gold standard, I generally thought its art direction was quite bland, its usage of often CGI looked poor, its latter story direction is nonsense and a lot of characters are wasted despite this series being over 100 episodes in length. There are many good qualities of AOT as well, such as its nuanced discussion about truth, human nature, and commentary on Military power. Some of the characters are very good and in the early parts of the series the story can be very gripping and a lot of the action scenes can be a treat. In general I think you need to watch more series out of your "comfort zone" because you tend to watch a lot of mystery series so even though my recommendation would probably be eighty six 86, I also can't help but expanding your taste could also help you find more series you enjoy and you seem to already be trying to do that but dropping Mob Psycho 100 after 3 episodes is a crime. The Monogatari Series is a must just because of how visually and narratively different it is compared to average series, as more traditionally good stuff Violet Evergarden is a must even if the movie was definitely a let down. Also don't be so harsh on CSM 7/10 is below your average so thats pretty harsh especially considering how incredible future content is so I would say to not write it off as being average yet. Oh! You should READ Berserk, It is simply too good of an experience to not experience after reading it your whole outlook on animanga even life might change.
Oct 2, 6:19 AM
Jun 2013
NewestPersonHere said:
Shizuna said:
Read Muv-Luv. It's similar to AoT but better.

I was about to type the same thing. :/
Most people agree that Muv-Luv is better than AoT~
Muv-Luv beats AoT in world building, plot, mystery, character development but loses to AoT in their bars of entry~

To OP: DO NOT watch the Muv-Luv anime, play the VNs. The anime cuts a ton of content.

The order:
Extra -> Unlimited -> Alternative.

Side stories are optional. I really like Unlimited The Day After though~

Well, you will eventually notice that AoT creator is a huge Muv-Luv fanboy once you reach Muv-Luv Alternative due to the amount of similarities. XD

unfortunately I do not have a way to play the light novels, isn't there a manga?
Abandon preconceptions and cultivate knowledge to make all things possible.
You must not forget that all knowledge is based on the creative efforts of those who came before you.
Oct 2, 6:20 AM
Jun 2013
Hiim00hiii said:
@Salvaged

Just watch the shows on your back log then.

God damn, you got me!
You must not forget that all knowledge is based on the creative efforts of those who came before you.
Oct 2, 6:20 AM
Oct 2, 6:21 AM
Jun 2013
ForeverTraitor said:
Vinland Saga has similar anti-war themes and is animated by the same studios that did AoT.

I love the world of Mushoku Tensei, but recommending that show always comes with massive caveats.

I definitely will be checking this out it's on my backlog :) thanks for the input
Oct 2, 6:23 AM
Jun 2013
thischeetobussin said:
thischeetobussin said:
Eureka 7. Those aspects you mentioned are the aspects I love that are present in Eureka 7. Insanely good series, starts off slow to get you used with the world that exists within it and the characters but when it goes into the story it gets REAL GOOD. I watched it in dub and the English voice acting is great too. It’s a mecha but since you don’t mind the genre then I can gladly recommend this one.

Oh wait I just checked your list, you have seen Eureka 7. My bad. Glad you love it though. If I had to recommend another anime then Wolf’s Rain and Now and then, Here and There are really good animes to watch. Now and then, here and there is a tough watch though, it’s a heavy series that deals with some of the same themes as Attack On Titan but an incredibly underrated show that deserves so much more attention. Wolf’s Rain has a fantastic OST with also great worldbuilding, solid characters and one of my personal favourite endings in anime.

I absolutely adore eureka 7, one of my most beloved animes of all time. lol thanks for the recommendation

wolfs rain is on my backlog, and coincidentally I have checked out the PHENOMENAL OST! thanks for your time
Oct 2, 6:25 AM
Jun 2013
MKIkawa said:
Worldbuilding: Made in abyss
Mystery: Psycho Pass S1
Action: Fate Series
Plot: Monogatari Series
Character Development: Vinland Saga

made in abyss and psycho pass. two of my absolutely favorite anime of all time. hands down

I checked out the first fate series and it bored me to tears, but I am on the second fate entry but it's quite slow. still gonna see where it goes

everyone keeps saying monotagari so I definitely gotta scope that out. thanks for your time!
Oct 2, 6:26 AM
Jun 2013
opioids said:
Cielord said:
"Anime on the same level or close"
That's entirely subjective.

If you want anime with good world-building, then Made in Abyss and One Piece are the first to come to mind.

Anime like Gintama and Monogatari has a rich cast of characters, many with solid character development.

Another good mystery anime is Link Click and Summertime Render.

“Rich cast of characters” and it’s a fucking Pokémon cast😪

what do you mean, as in they don't have much depth?
Oct 2, 6:26 AM
Jun 2013
Owen_MemeLord said:
this is entirely subjective seeing as AoT is inspired by Code Geass most mech anime should be able to scratch your itch

code Geass is one of my most beloved animes of all time :)
Oct 2, 6:27 AM
Jun 2013
tanjim_ahsan16 said:
well you can watch kabaneri of the iron fortress.... yeah it's actually a carbon copy of attack on titan and made by the same studio and director

Seen it, liked it! it was pretty good
Oct 2, 6:52 AM
May 2022
Steins;Gate and Evangelion
Oct 2, 8:23 AM

Oct 2015
Salvaged said:
NewestPersonHere said:

Muv-Luv beats AoT in world building, plot, mystery, character development but loses to AoT in their bars of entry~

To OP: DO NOT watch the Muv-Luv anime, play the VNs. The anime cuts a ton of content.

The order:

Well, you will eventually notice that AoT creator is a huge Muv-Luv fanboy once you reach Muv-Luv Alternative due to the amount of similarities. XD

unfortunately I do not have a way to play the light novels, isn't there a manga?

I don’t know about the manga. Visual novels are the source material.

You can also try finding playthroughs on Youtube.
Extra: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfRX0y-wbaJp3kFd2ytagHsPfNkNd4Y85&feature=shared
Unlimited: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfRX0y-wbaJoPVtN2VEhyAtC86GdskNop&feature=shared
Alternative: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKBgwahDL3Gjts4JwzZdWpe1gY1biEM50&feature=shared

I forgot to mention Extra is a boring dating simulator.
You can speed up if you get really bored~
Oct 2, 9:18 AM

Jul 2022
Salvaged said:
MKIkawa said:
Worldbuilding: Made in abyss
Mystery: Psycho Pass S1
Action: Fate Series
Plot: Monogatari Series
Character Development: Vinland Saga

made in abyss and psycho pass. two of my absolutely favorite anime of all time. hands down

I checked out the first fate series and it bored me to tears, but I am on the second fate entry but it's quite slow. still gonna see where it goes

everyone keeps saying monotagari so I definitely gotta scope that out. thanks for your time!

Fate definitely is slow sometimes, but it becomes a lot action heavy later on.

Monogatari is extremely good but not for everyone, it has some ecchi here and there, and there are too many dialogues for a normal person to handle, but it you like or at least don't care about these aspects, then you'll probably like it a lot
Oct 2, 10:03 AM
Apr 2017
Monster
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Berserk 1997
Paranoia Agent
Serial experiments lane
Oct 2, 10:22 AM
Mar 2023
try vinland saga or steins gate
Oct 2, 10:48 AM
May 2022
MADE IN ABYSS, Heavenly Delusion, Dungeon Meshi, Frieren & 86

Start with Made in Abyss, if you can't handle the show pick another one.
Oct 2, 11:38 AM
Nov 2023
As 3 people have already said, try 86. It’s a stronger story than AOT (my opinion of course) with a better ending and better characters. It’s gritty, deals with a lot of humanity’s darkest prejudices and cruelty, and has an extra level of threat from an external source. Of course, not everyone would agree, but I recommend it as well unmissable.
Oct 2, 3:09 PM
Nov 2023
Salvaged said:
Doesn't have to be the same genre, I feel my favorite elements about attack on Titan are in order...
World building
Mystery
Action
Plot
Character development

I don't care what genre, but I prefer fictional. Don't care if subbed or dubbed, but preferably dubbed.

Please think hard about this because not every anime is as top tier(despite my love for most anime) and doesn't come close to this level of art.

please check my anime list as I've already seen things like code Geass and full metal alchemist

Anime that would be on the same level would probably be hxh and one piece. Not the same show but has all the things you would probably be looking for.

Insane world building, mysteries that leave you wanting more, crazy action scenes, amazing plot progressions and character development is just overall beautiful.

That’s for both hxh and one piece.
Oct 2, 4:19 PM
Feb 2021
Personally, I'd regard few anime to be same caliber as AoT. I'd put Monster, Kingdom, FMAB up there for starters.
Oct 2, 11:03 PM

Sep 2020
Reply to ktg
You mean starts off as good and becomes bad at the end? Wonder Egg Priority falls into this category.

Though I personally would look for really good shows that are good throughout the whole series, but it's your choice.
@ktg Just want to let you know that Attack on Titan's final episode have a 8.88 rating on MAL unlike Wonder egg Priority which is 5.14
Oct 2, 11:04 PM

Sep 2020
Watch Nier Automata Ver1.1a
Oct 2, 11:36 PM

Jun 2021
AOT was my favourite anime until the ending. For what it’s worth here are my other favourites in order: Naruto, Steins Gate, Hunter x hunter, Code Geass
Oct 2, 11:55 PM
Jan 2016
In terms of cultural impact, the only comparison I can draw is Evangelion. AoT is a generational show.
Oct 3, 12:20 AM
May 2016
ZXEAN said:
@ktg Just want to let you know that Attack on Titan's final episode have a 8.88 rating on MAL unlike Wonder egg Priority which is 5.14

Just want to let you know that rating is not equivalent to quality.
Yes, SnK was carried by the hype, but quality-wise it is the same level as WEP.
Oct 3, 12:36 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to ktg
ZXEAN said:

Just want to let you know that rating is not equivalent to quality.
Yes, SnK was carried by the hype, but quality-wise it is the same level as WEP.
@ktg What is this bullshit logic ? Then how you determine the quality of an anime in the first place. Hype can only increase the popularity of an anime but rating is something completely different.

"Attack on Titan have a bad ending" is just your subjective opinion and it's good to have personal opinion.
Oct 3, 1:47 AM
Aug 2024
You can try " KINGDOM " if you somehow haven't seen it yet.
It's just a shame that for season 1&2 we have to be patient with the poor graphics.
But seasons. 3-5 were great.
Oct 3, 10:17 AM
Jul 2022
I consider aot on the same level as better call Saul, breaking bad, the sopranos, Peak GOT, etc, some of the best shows ever made I would put aot right next to them.

That being said very few anime that I’ve seen has had so much that can even compete with aot. The few I would list is Vinland saga, frieren beyond journeys en, violet evergarden, and maybe fmab.
Oct 3, 10:32 AM

Feb 2024
It's hard to take someone seriously who says " because not every anime is as top tier(despite my love for most anime) and doesn't come close to this level of art."

You can watch GOT I guess.
Oct 3, 1:59 PM

Jul 2017
fate zero
code geass
maybe re zero and made in abyss
Oct 3, 4:41 PM

Jul 2020
Cant recommend enough 86. The ost and opening are great ( ost made my hiroyuki sawano ), great character development ( by part 2 ) and really likeable characters. ( also the last 2 episodes of part 2 were seriously one if the most emotional episodes ive watched ;) ). I would highly recommend this anime ( also some really great voice actors )
ok boom
Oct 3, 10:19 PM
Jan 2022
I mean if you’re looking for the plot aspect of AOT I would recommend Code Geass, a little old but still probably the best ending of any anime all time.
Oct 4, 1:29 AM
Mar 2021
Salvaged said:
Doesn't have to be the same genre, I feel my favorite elements about attack on Titan are in order...
World building
Mystery
Action
Plot
Character development

I don't care what genre, but I prefer fictional. Don't care if subbed or dubbed, but preferably dubbed.

Please think hard about this because not every anime is as top tier(despite my love for most anime) and doesn't come close to this level of art.

please check my anime list as I've already seen things like code Geass and full metal alchemist

other than anime you can try game of thrones it has similar vibes compared to aot

if I have to give an underrated suggestion it would be manga called fire punch, similar to aot it has a very interesting post apocalyptic world with a twist in it's premise ( like in aot there are people outside the walls, there is a great twist in fire punch too about world), fire punch also has great written twist, characters and story ( at least for the first half) which is honestly on par with aot

but fire punch is really weird at times and in general way more crazier and insane than aot
Oct 4, 1:34 AM
Dec 2021
I'm surprised nobody mentioned MONSTER. It ticks all those boxes and is a top tier anime
Oct 4, 3:21 AM
Jun 2024
I'd say Gurren Lagann checks off most of those points. Maybe even Fullmetal Alchemist.
Oct 4, 5:34 AM
Apr 2023
pluto anime on Netflix or every other urasawa manga
Oct 4, 8:47 AM
Nov 2020
As you might expect, it depends who you ask

Steins;Gate
Code Geass?

Bottom two aren’t quite as good but match the characteristics you listed
Oct 4, 1:14 PM

Sep 2014
honestly, surprisingly similar concept?
shinsekai yori.
not a Shonen, really. but same moral dilemmas are presented.
Oct 4, 3:24 PM

Jan 2022
Frieren

Demon Slayer

Vinland Saga
Oct 5, 12:05 AM
Aug 2019
imo Monster is the actual quality that AoT fans think AoT is
Oct 5, 9:08 PM
Apr 2022
movie: Ghost in the shell (1995)
OnlyWeslinOct 5, 9:16 PM
Oct 6, 1:37 PM
Jul 2024
I think this fits - one of my top ones are Eighty Six. I think it’s completely underrated but is so incredible !! Not sure about mystery, but amazing world building and animation - great character development, plot, and there’s plenty of action
Oct 7, 2:46 AM
May 2016
Reply to ZXEAN
@ktg What is this bullshit logic ? Then how you determine the quality of an anime in the first place. Hype can only increase the popularity of an anime but rating is something completely different.

"Attack on Titan have a bad ending" is just your subjective opinion and it's good to have personal opinion.
@ZXEAN That "bullshit" logic is called reality. If the rating could represent the quality of a show, then it would have mean that every rating given by the audience should be the same.
Rating does not depend on you or me, even without watching a show, the show's quality is still the same. And that's why we know that rating does not represent the quality.

To be fair, technically it could represent it, but in case of JJK, it doesn't.
Therefore, no, SnK's final EP being weak is not my opinion.

For a more obvious example, I recommend that you should check out Game of Thrones episodes' ratings on IMDb. It is widely accepted that quality-wise the last 2 seasons are pretty weak, they are not comparable to the previous seasons. But if you check season 7 episodes, you won't find a single episode that has lower rating than 8.5.
This is reality. Especially in the west, people rate based on hype, vibe or mood and not on quality or technicality.
Oct 7, 3:10 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to ktg
@ZXEAN That "bullshit" logic is called reality. If the rating could represent the quality of a show, then it would have mean that every rating given by the audience should be the same.
Rating does not depend on you or me, even without watching a show, the show's quality is still the same. And that's why we know that rating does not represent the quality.

To be fair, technically it could represent it, but in case of JJK, it doesn't.
Therefore, no, SnK's final EP being weak is not my opinion.

For a more obvious example, I recommend that you should check out Game of Thrones episodes' ratings on IMDb. It is widely accepted that quality-wise the last 2 seasons are pretty weak, they are not comparable to the previous seasons. But if you check season 7 episodes, you won't find a single episode that has lower rating than 8.5.
This is reality. Especially in the west, people rate based on hype, vibe or mood and not on quality or technicality.
@ktg Reality my foot lol. Rating is not given by just one person. Fans, Haters and everyone in between give the rating it's far better to have a collective opinions as your source to determine the success or failure rather than listing to one individual. Don't force your subjective opinion on me. I have seen entire Attack on Titan and I think it's a Masterpiece you might have different opinion that fine but don't present your cheap opinion as facts. If you just want to ignore all critics and ratings, then it's useless to argue imo.

I haven't seen GOT so no comments on that but Joker 2 is running in theater it's suppose to be one of the most hyped up movie of 2O24 but that doesn't help it's being poorly recived by critics and general audience unlike Attack on Titan.
Oct 7, 5:15 AM
May 2016
Reply to ZXEAN
@ktg Reality my foot lol. Rating is not given by just one person. Fans, Haters and everyone in between give the rating it's far better to have a collective opinions as your source to determine the success or failure rather than listing to one individual. Don't force your subjective opinion on me. I have seen entire Attack on Titan and I think it's a Masterpiece you might have different opinion that fine but don't present your cheap opinion as facts. If you just want to ignore all critics and ratings, then it's useless to argue imo.

I haven't seen GOT so no comments on that but Joker 2 is running in theater it's suppose to be one of the most hyped up movie of 2O24 but that doesn't help it's being poorly recived by critics and general audience unlike Attack on Titan.
@ZXEAN I'm sorry that you don't have foot, but I don't think it is important in this question.

Yes, more than one person rate a show, but that's how you know that it wasn't rated based on quality. The quality is the same even if you watch it or I watch it. So if we both rate it based on quality, then we will give or should have gave the same rating, because the quality was the same in both cases. You see the same frames, you hear the same sounds and you witness the same story, therefore the quality is the same. Every time someone watches the same series, the quality will be the same.
And that's how we know that ratings have nothing to do with quality, because everyone rates it differently.

Bringing up the collective opinion is insanely bad, because the quality is not based on opinions. Again, quality has nothing to do with you or me. It independently exists. A show has the same quality even if you haven't seen it. But if you want a real life example, 500 years ago the majority thought that the Earth was flat, do you think it changed its shape just because of the majority?
Majority is usually stupid, when we need to evaluate something objectively.

Opinions have nothing to do with quality and yes, it is an opinion that you think SnK is a masterpiece. It won't become a masterpiece just because you think that, but you can certainly think that. You can also think that the Earth is flat, but that also won't change anything. Reality won't bend to your opinions, you can think whatever you want, but reality won't change.

Joker is a bad example, because it never had the same amount of hype, it never had the same background that could carry a new movie. Let's go with another example then, where it is much more clearer that the critics have different takes.
The original Star Wars trilogy is a great example. On the IMDb every movie has a pretty similar rating (IMDb 8.6, 8.7, 8.3). But when you compare it to the critics' rating, you can clearly see that they had different ideas in case of the last movie (Metacritic 90, 82, 58). 58 is significantly lower than the other 2, because critics are much more objective while the average audience can be influenced by the hype.
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls069544505/
Oct 7, 6:06 AM

Sep 2020
Reply to ktg
@ZXEAN I'm sorry that you don't have foot, but I don't think it is important in this question.

Yes, more than one person rate a show, but that's how you know that it wasn't rated based on quality. The quality is the same even if you watch it or I watch it. So if we both rate it based on quality, then we will give or should have gave the same rating, because the quality was the same in both cases. You see the same frames, you hear the same sounds and you witness the same story, therefore the quality is the same. Every time someone watches the same series, the quality will be the same.
And that's how we know that ratings have nothing to do with quality, because everyone rates it differently.

Bringing up the collective opinion is insanely bad, because the quality is not based on opinions. Again, quality has nothing to do with you or me. It independently exists. A show has the same quality even if you haven't seen it. But if you want a real life example, 500 years ago the majority thought that the Earth was flat, do you think it changed its shape just because of the majority?
Majority is usually stupid, when we need to evaluate something objectively.

Opinions have nothing to do with quality and yes, it is an opinion that you think SnK is a masterpiece. It won't become a masterpiece just because you think that, but you can certainly think that. You can also think that the Earth is flat, but that also won't change anything. Reality won't bend to your opinions, you can think whatever you want, but reality won't change.

Joker is a bad example, because it never had the same amount of hype, it never had the same background that could carry a new movie. Let's go with another example then, where it is much more clearer that the critics have different takes.
The original Star Wars trilogy is a great example. On the IMDb every movie has a pretty similar rating (IMDb 8.6, 8.7, 8.3). But when you compare it to the critics' rating, you can clearly see that they had different ideas in case of the last movie (Metacritic 90, 82, 58). 58 is significantly lower than the other 2, because critics are much more objective while the average audience can be influenced by the hype.
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls069544505/
@ktg Damn bro you wrote an essay out of desperation :D

ktg said:
Yes, more than one person rate a show, but that's how you know that it wasn't rated based on quality. The quality is the same even if you watch it or I watch it. So if we both rate it based on quality, then we will give or should have gave the same rating, because the quality was the same in both cases.
Wtf with whome I am even arguing here 😩😓??? everyone have different taste plus people of different age groups and gender is watching this how can you expect everyone to rate a show same.
ktg said:
You see the same frames, you hear the same sounds and you witness the same story, therefore the quality is the same. Every time someone watches the same series, the quality will be the same.
And that's how we know that ratings have nothing to do with quality, because everyone rates it differently
This might be one of the most brain-dead arguments I have ever heard in my life. There are people who doesn't like S2 of Vinland Saga because there is less action one the other hand there are people who consider it as a Masterpiece. Not everyone have similar taste 😅
ktg said:
???? You are the one who was projecting your subjective opinion not me. I was talking about collective opinions. Majority consider it to be a masterpiece that's why it's being soo highly rated. That's what I meant it's nothing to do with my opinion.

ktg said:
Joker is a bad example, because it never had the same amount of hype, it never had the same background that could carry a new movie.
No Joker is not a bad example but OK

ktg said:
Let's go with another example then, where it is much more clearer that the critics have different takes.
In case of Attack on Titan critic and majority of audiance have similar take so I don't see why this example even matters.
Oct 7, 9:32 AM

Dec 2020
None

Any recommendations you'll get will be heavily underwhelming after you watch it compared to AOT .

But close to that for me would be

Death Note
Yakusoku No Neverland

Complex Stories are basically sleeping pills . Helps to get some sleep .

Oct 7, 9:35 AM

Dec 2020
Reply to NewestPersonHere
Shizuna said:
Read Muv-Luv. It's similar to AoT but better.

The order:

@NewestPersonHere

Most people???

I think it's just some muv luv fanboys thinking that .

Complex Stories are basically sleeping pills . Helps to get some sleep .

Oct 7, 3:55 PM

Oct 2015
STSayeb said:
@NewestPersonHere

Most people???

I think it's just some muv luv fanboys thinking that .

Most people are AoT and Muv Luv fans.

Most people likes AoT when it first came out, calling it one of the best dark fantasy titles.

However, as time passes, Isayama felt guilty for AoT success due to ripping off Muv-Luv Alternative, he starts confessing to the public that he is a MLA fanboy and is his main source of inspiration of becoming a mangaka.

This leads to many people getting curious and picking up Muv Luv. And most of them eventually end up liking Muv Luv more than AoT mainly due to worldbuilding.

Well, I am one of minority who picks up Muv Luv before AoT so I can see what Isayama is thinking about when he wrote Eren Yeager. Isayama writes Eren Yeager to answer the question what if Takeru fail to properly develop in Muv Luv.
Oct 8, 2:26 AM
May 2019
You should watch Magi. It has all the elements you listed. It has world building superior to AoT with more dynamic geopolitics. There’s a lot of mystery surrounding the plot and the payoff is worth it. The characters are great and start developing from the very first episode. Probably the closest thing you’re going to find with those criteria in mind.
Oct 8, 2:37 AM

Oct 2013
If you loved Shingeki no Kyojin, then I think you're gonna enjoy Koutetsujou no Kabaneri. It looks stunning, has interesting premise, and it was made by Wit Studio as well as SnK.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» How KSI's new song ties in with themes portrait by AoT

Ghost_Davo - 6 hours ago

16 by phantom346 »»
39 minutes ago

» Foreshadowing and Hidden details

ANIk_003 - Oct 8

34 by Kaynear »»
Oct 12, 12:54 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1669 by senseeki »»
Oct 10, 5:38 AM

» Congratulations 🎉 ( 1 2 )

Peeti - Aug 19

79 by Peeti »»
Oct 9, 9:58 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MermaidGalaxies - Jun 1, 2013

1112 by ItsAmsyar »»
Oct 9, 10:11 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.