Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Mar 7, 2023 3:09 AM
Nov 2022
the best ep this s no doubt - the psychological twist was great
Mar 7, 2023 3:14 AM
Jul 2022
best episode so far, really showing thorfinns growth
Mar 7, 2023 3:22 AM

Jan 2012
This episode was fantastic, i absolutely love how they did the bottom of the cliff.

I think what people get mixed up is what Askeladd is saying here and who he was. It is not certain that Askeladd would do such things but this is how Thorfinn remembers him and sees him. Overall its just a Dream but Askeladd saved Thorfinn from this Hell by his last Words and even before when they fought the last time. As he guided him back then, he has guided him through his memory.

Man... i really miss Askeladd and Björn...Goats. But hey we still got Canute and Thorkell :)
Mar 7, 2023 3:46 AM

Oct 2020
Probably the best episode of the series so far, this is s1 ep 24 level, beautiful.

This can also be taken as a turnign point for those who think nothing happens, excited for whats to come
Mar 7, 2023 3:57 AM

Jul 2019
It was wonderfully adapted, Yabuta and his team deserve all the praise for this episode.
Mar 7, 2023 4:38 AM

Oct 2009
That ending left me feeling warm. I don't understand but this left me feeling very emotional, this resonates with me so much :')

I say this pretty much every week, but damn do I miss Askeladd!
Mar 7, 2023 4:56 AM
Jul 2018
Do Caralho!! Não estava a espera de tanta qualidade por parte da mappa, mas eu ainda considero o manga superior mas sem duvida nenhuma este episódio foi peak
Mar 7, 2023 5:03 AM
Feb 2021
PERFECT one of my fav episodes in anime they adapted it perfectly and even better. Mappa just proved themselves that they are one of the best.
Mar 7, 2023 5:15 AM
Apr 2019
Very complet episode
Mar 7, 2023 5:50 AM
Nov 2021
I'm just so surprised by people calling this a masterpiece.

After the several dream sequences in the previous two episodes, we get this episode which is half an episode of a dream sequence. Only to reach a conclusion that is easy to see coming...Thorfinn on the path to becoming a "true warrior".

I didn't find anything deep or profound about this episode like so many are extolling. It was all so very obvious. So very cliche. I just kept wondering when are we going to get out of this dream sequence...had to switch from Crunchyroll to Netflix because with Netflix you can watch at 1.5x speed at least.

Excited to see Askeladd and Thors in dream-form? Especially after it hasn't been too long since we've seen Askeladd? Maybe it would have been interesting after a longer period.

The rest of the episode was ok. Seeing the other mini-plotline conclude.

And before anyone tells me to go watch a "shonen for more violence", I've been fine with the lack of fights in the first 8 episodes. But it's just that this 9th episode dragged soooo long on something that could have been done in a shorter time...or a more interesting way. And, generally, too many dream sequences, like excessive flashbacks that you care little for, can get annoying.
Mar 7, 2023 6:16 AM
May 2020
Awsome episode as always. Thorfinn has one of the best character development of all anime.Excited for the next one.
Mar 7, 2023 6:32 AM
Nov 2020
Pretty cool "dream"
Mar 7, 2023 6:34 AM
Aug 2015
elijahkami said:
absolutely peak, best episode

wtf this was the worst episode for me.
Mar 7, 2023 6:39 AM

Jun 2016
most boring episode !!

i almost fell sleep watching this episode ...
Mar 7, 2023 6:57 AM

Aug 2012
midnightblade said:
Did Askeladd truly want Thorfinn to become a pacifist?? Is that what he meant by "take them with you?"

What I got confused with is Askeladd specificallly says multiple times "become a true warrior" how is a pacifist a true warrior? Why use the term warrior then? IDK
That is not the real Askeladd. That is a part of Thorfinn's mind in the form of Askeladd. Askeladd did want for Thorfinn to move on and figth his true battle before he died, but the rest of the dream if Thorfinn's mind telling him to keep moving forward. 

Mar 7, 2023 7:04 AM

Aug 2012
Sexyjutsu said:
chainsawbutcher said:
This is so boring... Now Thorfinn is Jesus... Hope war comes for him very soon

If he's a savior perhaps he can save you from writing shitty posts.

Homura24 said:
askledd is the goat

A true chad even in dreams.

Senpapi-sama said:
Really don't know what they plan to do with thorfinn's character. He's becoming a pushover, and all he does is wallow in self pity and self deprecation. We get it dude, you killed people and you feel bad about it. But he's allowing people walk all over him in the name of atonement. It's honestly a pathetic way to go about his development. Thors was the same pacifist person and he got himself killed.

Fuck, have you been watching this at all? This isn't "all he's done" that's literally for a few episodes?
Start the fucking season again and pay attention, Thorfinn Christ.

This people ignore the pacifism in the first season and now that the plot that was lay down since episode 1 is in the front they act surprised xD They haven't been paying attention since the beginning. 

Mar 7, 2023 7:53 AM

Nov 2017
Lesson: just keep digging

Mar 7, 2023 7:54 AM
Dec 2019
This is fucking brilliant writing. Non-violence as a theme has never been done so intricately and appropriately without hypocrisy.
Mar 7, 2023 8:00 AM
Mar 2023
best episode ever
Mar 7, 2023 8:13 AM
Jun 2020
Peak character development
Mar 7, 2023 8:30 AM

Feb 2019
I want to hug him so bad. Thorfinn deserves the world and whole universe. His soul is in chains, it's time his suffering ends for good.

Mar 7, 2023 8:35 AM

Jul 2014
What an episode, the brilliance of Yukimura's writing shows up in this episode
Mar 7, 2023 9:08 AM
Nov 2021
I've been waiting for this to be animated. Did not disappoint.
Mar 7, 2023 9:16 AM
Aug 2022
I am just speechless.
Wow.
This episode was a cinema.
Or You can say,
"Cinematography at its Peak".

This episode, not just this but whole series just tells you, how much passionate these animators, staff and musician 'Yutaka Yamada' and the God voice cast, all the crew behind this are.
Wow.
This is one of the rare moments where the protagonist chooses peace over violence not like Naruto but as a reality based type one.
And,
Askeladd,
Even if you are dead but even shining in death.
Just Peak Writing.
Everything is perfect.

Kore wa,
Jitsuni Jitsuni Jitsuni
Subarashiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
Mar 7, 2023 9:23 AM
Apr 2021
Been waiting for this scene!
Mar 7, 2023 9:49 AM

Jun 2019

forgiveness

Thorfinn attempts to strike a balance between his regrets and redemption. He is suffering as a result of his previous deeds, but we can't hold it against him—he was just a child. Furthermore, in the episode "Oath," Thorfinn's regrets are explored in further detail. And offers insight into the themes of the series, such as the cost of violence and the pursuit of a peaceful existence. The episode is a nuanced exploration of Thorfinn's condition, with complex characters and themes, as well as an entertaining watching experience provided by the animation and soundtrack, which keep getting better. and that leaves a lasting impression on me.
Ptipana2077Mar 7, 2023 9:54 AM
Mar 7, 2023 10:42 AM

Mar 2014
xZabuzax said:
The episode wasn't bad, it's nice to see Thorfinn having some character development and all but I really want this anime to move forward, we are almost halfway through the anime and we are still in the farming arc, I think it's time to move from this farming arc since it's dragging for way too long.

Then drop it, you don't get to dictate the pace of how authors establish their stories. You keep moaning and moaning, making the same post over and over about how this anime is not for you so why are you torturing yourself? Go re-watch Naruto or one of the 200+ battle shounens available  and then maybe in some years, once you have matured a bit, you can pick up Vinland again.
SoulblightMar 7, 2023 10:53 AM
Mar 7, 2023 11:00 AM

May 2017
I've been waiting for the Valhalla sequence to get animated and so glad it lived up to my expectations. The imagery is so on point and getting some more Askelaad, even if its only a hallucination is great. Looking forward to see how people react to the story going forward cause I feel like the reception will be even more divisive than it already is.
Mar 7, 2023 11:06 AM
Nov 2021
Soulblight said:
xZabuzax said:
The episode wasn't bad, it's nice to see Thorfinn having some character development and all but I really want this anime to move forward, we are almost halfway through the anime and we are still in the farming arc, I think it's time to move from this farming arc since it's dragging for way too long.

Then drop it, you don't get to dictate the pace of how authors establish their stories. You keep moaning and moaning, making the same post over and over about how this anime is not for you so why are you torturing yourself? Go re-watch Naruto or one of the 200+ battle shounens available  and then maybe in some years, once you have matured a bit, you can pick up Vinland again.

Oh yes, it takes so much maturity to understand the simple concept of `young kid gets lost in revenge` -> `kid grows up and feels guilt for acts committed` ->`kid remembers fathers words and decides to become pacifistic`.

Soooooo deeep. Really need an adult five-head brain for this.

This stuff appeals to psuedo-intellectuals. There are plenty of other shows that I, and possibly the other commenter, have enjoyed that didn't have fights/violence but had as much depth as this AND was also entertaining. It's not a matter of this show lacking violence that made this episode so boring...it's a matter of the author presenting it in such a boring, repetitive, and obvious way that dragggs.
Mar 7, 2023 11:22 AM
Jan 2023
uuuuno said:
Soulblight said:

Oh yes, it takes so much maturity to understand the simple concept of `young kid gets lost in revenge` -> `kid grows up and feels guilt for acts committed` ->`kid remembers fathers words and decides to become pacifistic`.

Soooooo deeep. Really need an adult five-head brain for this.

This stuff appeals to psuedo-intellectuals. There are plenty of other shows that I, and possibly the other commenter, have enjoyed that didn't have fights/violence but had as much depth as this AND was also entertaining. It's not a matter of this show lacking violence that made this episode so boring...it's a matter of the author presenting it in such a boring, repetitive, and obvious way that dragggs.
Name me one series, that tackles the inner psyche of a humanity that implies what is morally right, or wrong or grey in between. 

you can't. Vinland saga is the only show that touches on this and you're telling it's dragging because you want thorfinn's nightmares, and PTSD to disappear within 5 episodes? that's unrealistic as far as how you're trying to portray a character 
Mar 7, 2023 11:26 AM
Jan 2011
So. Thorfinn was falling, then hanging but at the same time he was lying down and then he went somewhere to work. Whole episode.

I do understand character development, but the action in this season is so slow and so boring it hurts.
Mar 7, 2023 11:31 AM
Nov 2021
ogking31 said:
Name me one series, that tackles the inner psyche of a humanity that implies what is morally right, or wrong or grey in between. 

you can't. Vinland saga is the only show that touches on this and you're telling it's dragging because you want thorfinn's nightmares, and PTSD to disappear within 5 episodes? that's unrealistic as far as how you're trying to portray a character 
Monster. Attack on Titan. 

I'm sure there are more, but I can't name them off the top of my head. And these are just some of the most beloved of anime that I mentioned. More non-anime and non-top-known.
Mar 7, 2023 11:32 AM
May 2017
Simply a beautiful episode. I'm left in awe at this peak story telling and MAPPA is truly shining with their adaption.

6/5 episode
Mar 7, 2023 11:36 AM
Jan 2023
uuuuno said:
ogking31 said:

Monster. Attack on Titan. 

I'm sure there are more, but I can't name them off the top of my head. And these are just some of the most beloved of anime that I mentioned. More non-anime and non-top-known.
Attack on titan??? the series heavily relies on action and has less depth because Eren wanted to save his own people and free them? that's not the same depth AT ALL. 

Monster attacks the idea of being evil and good which isn't close considering Vinland Saga portrays that better with better environment and being in a timeline where it's one of the darkest in history. 
Mar 7, 2023 11:42 AM
Aug 2017
Quick question: Did Thorfinn's voice sound really weird when he was talking to Thors? It sounded nothing like Thorfinn at all to me, I was really surprised
Mar 7, 2023 11:50 AM
Oct 2019
wow, impeccable, couldnt explain thorfinns feelings better
Mar 7, 2023 1:17 PM
Jul 2017
Nothing but Gold!
Mar 7, 2023 1:24 PM
Jul 2021
Now this is perhaps the most horrifying episode I have seen all year, counting the horror genre. Perhaps it is necessary, but I am not very sure about the handling of certain elements.
Mar 7, 2023 1:35 PM
Jan 2021
seeing Askeladd the goat slice through that archer was amazing, i miss the action but its nice to see thorfinns new beginning and development. 
Mar 7, 2023 1:41 PM

Jan 2017
Goddamn beautiful episode! That was a deep dive into Thorfinn's mind as he faces his regrets and the deaths he caused.
Week after week this season keeps on being magnificent.
Mar 7, 2023 1:49 PM
Feb 2018
Very good episode, I love it!
Mar 7, 2023 2:15 PM
Jan 2020
This episode was goat, i enjoyed every second of it.
Mar 7, 2023 2:41 PM
Oct 2020
This might be the best episode of the whole season. This is a turning point of the series from being good to a real masterpiece later on.
Mar 7, 2023 3:33 PM

May 2015
Old McTorfin had a farm ei ei o, and on this farm he was a cuck ei ei o
Mar 7, 2023 4:14 PM

Sep 2008
bankredmeadow said:
what a great episode 
when Thorfinn cried I cried too 

Same. My boy Thorfinn's pain is my pain. 
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 7, 2023 4:18 PM
Jan 2016
Nice episode, adapted well and even added some anime only touches which didn't feel out of place. Shows MAPPA not only cares about faithfully adapting the source material, but also making something memorable that all fans can appreciate. Though, gotta say I still prefer the manga version, hard to beat the art on those panels.
Mar 7, 2023 4:25 PM
Nov 2016
Soulblight said:
xZabuzax said:

This is a forum and people have the right to praise or complain about whatever the fuck we want.

If I feel like complaining about an anime then I will do it, who the hell are you to tell me what to do? usually, little kids like you are the ones who need to mature since kids are the ones that can't accept criticism, the sweet irony.
Mar 7, 2023 4:40 PM
Jan 2023
xZabuzax said:
Soulblight said:

This is a forum and people have the right to praise or complain about whatever the fuck we want.

If I feel like complaining about an anime then I will do it, who the hell are you to tell me what to do? usually, little kids like you are the ones who need to mature since kids are the ones that can't accept criticism, the sweet irony.
but you're not criticizing... there's a difference between complaining and criticism. You're doing the latter which is warrant for anyone to call you a meathead
Mar 7, 2023 4:40 PM
Mar 2021
oscar now
fr one of the best
Mar 7, 2023 4:47 PM
Jan 2016
Skaldi2 said:
I'm surprised the author went for this, Thorfinn comes off as childish, he's so guilt ridden he thinks pacifism is the answer. It doesn't feel like he's in the right mind.
To be fair, after all the stuff he went through no one would be of sane mind. Pacifism to him seemed like the right answer. Even in our day and age, its not unusual for extremely violent people to suddenly turn a new leaf and completely change their behavior. A certain basketball player with a changed name and a few football players come to mind...

Oh and btw, isn't Thorfinn like 18-20 years old at this time? Thats barely entering young adult age. Not a kid anymore, but not a real adult either.
breaker_notMar 7, 2023 5:03 PM
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2023

198 by D4C_1 »»
Oct 11, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2023

511 by brkodrk »»
Oct 8, 5:17 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

509 by Ba-Cii10 »»
Oct 8, 5:54 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2023

306 by phantom346 »»
Oct 4, 8:57 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2023

238 by phantom346 »»
Oct 4, 8:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.