Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 23, 2022 9:42 AM
Nov 2020
Glad to know that fio and porco didn't end up together. Fio is still minor, gina is so beautiful definition of classy and elegant. This movie is so enjoyable if you're having a bad day definitely recommended, Another studio ghibli's masterpiece i watch
Aug 20, 2022 4:22 PM
Nov 2016
Bommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Aug 29, 2022 10:26 PM
Feb 2022
It's good but I'm kinda pretty disappointed because the story isn't fleshed out and it feels like something is missing or not complete, the ending seems like rushed to me imo

Though the hostage scene in the beginning and when they were dogfighting while throwing wrenches and tools was funny as hell, including the boxing match; dogfighting-turned-boxing-match lmao
Dec 6, 2022 12:35 AM
Jan 2022
I think a lot of people are discussing this because the story is great.

However, the gravity of the fighter maneuvers, the anti-aircraft fire with machine guns, etc., which are not apparent at first glance but are supported by great knowledge and coverage, is also fascinating.
Dec 13, 2022 3:37 PM
Nov 2020
I'm a pig, not a fascist.
Apr 7, 2023 5:25 PM

Sep 2020
This is my 2nd favorite Ghibli movie, everything is perfect: story, characters, humor. Just an incredible package! 10/10

And as a big fan of old movies, I love the "Casablanca" feel.

The most impressive thing about it, for me, is the sheer amount of movement in several scenes, most notably the girls in the beginning and all the woman rebuilding the plane. It must have been a real pain keeping track of everything back then.
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Jun 12, 2023 5:15 PM

Mar 2022
Seeing as I was on holiday in Italy I thought: "What the hell? Let's watch Porco Rosso." And I was not disappointed seeing as I knew it was a Ghibli film I was in for a good time. Animation is always a big thing for a Ghibli film and they always manage to make their films look so impressive and indeed is the case here. I love how it's essentially like Casablanca and ol' war films of that nature and that's the vibe I think Miyazaki was going for with this. I really liked the cast in this, the pirates were hilarious to watch, Fido was a smart and energetic character and even Curtis and Gina were interesting to watch. But last and certainly not least, the main star, Porco himself. Seriously he was awesome his quote of: "I'd rather be a pig than a fascist." was a great stand out to me, he was a rude one but I like that he had noble views on the world itself.

Though if I want to quibble, it's not as good as other works like Spirited Away or Howl's Moving Castle but it doesn't mean it's bad either. It feels like it needed a bit more plus we know that Porco explains his story of him becoming a pig but I don't think we get an explanation as to how it happened but I know it's a little quibble cuz we are dealing with a pig/man pilot here.This gets an 8/10 from me.
Jul 18, 2023 10:19 PM
Jul 2023
one of the best films ever
Sep 30, 2023 1:18 AM
Sep 2012
The most beautiful score ever (Bygone Days)
Oct 12, 2023 11:11 AM
Sep 2023
i really wanted to like this movie but i cant stand the characters
Oct 28, 2023 9:07 AM

Aug 2022
This has a rating of 7.95 on here, but to me it's a pure 10/10. The characters, the plot, the setting are all amazing. I love the metaphor of the main character, Proco!
Mar 17, 9:07 PM

Dec 2022
that was so beautiful. i don't remember ever being so sad a movie ended since being a little kid. the aviation loving child in my heart came out to play for 93 minutes and grew up to be a pig and laughed all along the way too and even the historic aviation pig pictures during the credits with that heartbreaking song playing were incredible. masterpiece that's all there is to it.
Apr 10, 10:24 PM
Mar 2024
Man you can really feel Miyazaki's hatred for Indiana Jones in this one
May 19, 1:16 PM

Apr 2013
Woahh, I was not expecting to love this movie so much...the end is disappointed, but the rest is really good.

.·:*¨ 重逢的时代 - 𝕵𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖈𝖆 𝕵𝖚𝖓𝖌 ¨*:·. 𓆩♡𓆪
𝟎:𝟒𝟐 ㅇ──────────────── 𝟑:𝟏𝟑
↺¹ |◁ ▷| ⋮≡
Jun 23, 12:44 AM

Aug 2019
I love how Miyazaki shows how women took over the men’s jobs during the war and how capable they are with characters like Gina and Fío, both independent women who had successful careers and businesses. 

Porco’s backstory behind his transformation into a pig was heartbreaking. He was ashamed and miserable that he had survived out of all his squad members, especially Gina’s husband. It was quite depressing to see all of those planes that portray the dead pilots of the war. Millions of soldiers lost their lives in a painful and brutal war. 

I'm glad that Porco eventually was able to accept himself thanks to Fio and the battle of honour that he went through.
Jul 29, 11:15 AM

Dec 2017
I expected less from this film... the only Miyazaki stuff I really knew by heart was Lupin III and I haven't watched even a SINGLE Ghibli film. (I don't think Cagliostro counts) Anyhow, this was a surprise. It was very good. I liked Porco, he's a badass... what else... the action was fun, Porco's sidekick Fio is cute (she kinda looks too much like Clarisse though) and the ending was neat. I wouldn't mind more Porco but I guess what's done is done... WATCH THIS MOVIE!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Dub Discussion -- THE OTHER ENGLISH DUB (Non-Disney, JAL 1992)

JTurner - Nov 13, 2015

0 by JTurner »»
Nov 13, 2015 10:15 PM

» About Gina

jose21 - Mar 4, 2014

1 by Rachmaninow »»
Apr 10, 2014 4:46 AM

» Dub Discussion

JTurner - Apr 2, 2010

11 by JTurner »»
Feb 12, 2014 2:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.