Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Reign of the Seven Spellblades (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 8, 2023 12:18 AM

Oct 2020
It's off to a great start! I like a lot of the changes to the script by J.C. Staff, makes for a better first episode. A lot of the dialogue in the novel does go on for a bit but here they cut out a decent amount of fat while keeping the important yet playful stuff that gives the characters their personalities.  At the dinner scene I appreciate the time taken to establish a bit of their personas verbatim to the text.

Don't know about Pete's voice but Oliver and Nanao feel well casted and I'm really loving the animation so far. They're doing a really good job so far with how the magic particles look and I love the look of the buildings. The fight done with Nanao and the Troll in the first eight minutes was done well.  I do kinda wish that Oliver was animated with more anxiety but in all honesty it still comes across well, so I'll let it be.
zdeisterreviewsJul 8, 2023 1:44 AM
Jul 8, 2023 1:22 AM
Dec 2022
Tbh this seems interesting and getting HP vibes from this lol
If someone wants to know this episode only adapted Chapter 1 of the LN Vol 1 (Skipped the Prologue)

I'm excited for the next episodes since i liked this episode
I wonder at which Volume it will end since it has 15 episodes

Ngl i'm just gonna ignore complainers and enjoy this series :)
Jul 8, 2023 2:28 AM
Mar 2017
Avgs said:
nestharus said:
Seems watchable and maybe even slightly above average. I just don't really want to watch another mid school show. Seems to get worse as the episode goes on and the series itself doesn't seem like it has much potential to be decent.

Got through 4m47s of it before dropping.
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
lol. i was at 4:42.
 The "White Girl" archetype got you guys mad too? Or it is just a coincidence that you guys dropped at 4m? After hearing what she said I was really hopping that she would die to a troll and, then, when she started to walk to the Troll I was almost smilling, but unfortunately it did not happened. 
 I am not retarded, I just "drop" an anime after 3 episodes, so just lets see what will happen. 
More the magic out of left-field didn't appear to have any reasoning behind it. It was very jarring. I immediately paused and then skipped ahead to see what future scenes looked like. I didn't like what I saw and dropped it. The dialog up to that point already had me on edge and about ready to drop =P.
Jul 8, 2023 2:33 AM

Sep 2018
If Mashle was a HP parody series, this is a pastiche work.

A little corny and tiresome, but there's plenty of room for intriguing development.
Jul 8, 2023 5:57 AM

Jun 2016
i can tell from episode 1  this gonna be a fantastic and interesting show !!
Jul 8, 2023 6:52 AM

Mar 2014
That was underwhelmingly boring
Jul 8, 2023 6:52 AM
Apr 2020
Anyone else think the guy with the book was a girl at first? or just me?

First episode is solid enough. Worth a continue. Nice.
Dinosaurtime_YTJul 8, 2023 6:56 AM
Jul 8, 2023 6:53 AM

Apr 2010
The pacing in the beginning 1/3 of the episode seemed strange as if it was a bit too fast. I enjoyed the 2nd half of the episode and am interested in the next episode. 
Jul 8, 2023 7:05 AM
Apr 2020
Wait, so the magic world is basically just Harry Potter?
Jul 8, 2023 7:30 AM

Jan 2015
First episode is really disappointing, the character intro almost happen at the end of episode, the world building about how magic works here is almost non existent.
This is 'okay' episode if I watch this as episode 3 or 6, but put it at first episode is awful
Jul 8, 2023 7:34 AM
Apr 2022
too bad they didn't have a club to levitate for that troll, it all could have been much easier 
Jul 8, 2023 8:43 AM
Apr 2016
The animation was beautiful, the movements were flawless, the story was captivating, looking forward to next episode, give me Harry Potter vibes, I absolutely loved the scene of the principal turning everyone upside down.
Jul 8, 2023 8:46 AM
Jul 2022
Gostei bastante da animação e dos personagens menos do protagonista pois ele me parece um Kirito versão 4900, veremos... Mas ele tem um ar (fraco) de mistério, acho que é de família importante e omitiu. Provavelmente temos algo relacionado a encarnação aqui... Gostei bastante no momento achei melhor e mais trabalhado do que alguns animes com tema de magia que tivemos recentemente. Acho que será um anime com roteiro bem trabalhado.
Jul 8, 2023 8:46 AM
Feb 2021
I can see why this is another critically acclaimed LN series (according to majority of the fandom). First episode's worldbuilding feels basic, but it's meant that way to introduce the characters' initial impressions to the anime-only viewers.

Expect lots of an unreliable narration through the eyes of Oliver who seem to be on an espionage mission.

Also given the title has the number 7, I'm guessing Nanao is a walking spoiler based on Oliver's perception on her actual identity of her being a Hitokiri (Human-Slayer).
Jul 8, 2023 9:37 AM

Sep 2021
A terribly generic setting of the "dangerous, low-administration magic school" alongside a far oversized cast much like Spy Classroom. But well, I already expected this in advance.

The characters themselves seem just as generic one-dimensional aswell. But for now, that might be because there is no time to flesh out any of them.

For one positive aspect: It did have a few mystery teasers. Hopefully it can get something going with them.
Jul 8, 2023 10:26 AM

Jan 2013
Candidate for worst Anime of the season :)
Jul 8, 2023 12:27 PM

Sep 2014
- Mom, can we have Himuri Kenshin?
- We have Himuri Kenshin at home.
Jul 8, 2023 1:00 PM

Aug 2021
headmistress is just bootleg esdeath. this was actually slightly better than i was expecting but my expectations were pretty low so
Jul 8, 2023 2:51 PM

Jun 2012
Marinate1016 said:
FINALLY. The REAL anime Harry potter is here. Man I wish I could’ve streamed my reaction to this first episode because I’ve been waiting for and pushing this Light Novel for so long. Tears in my eyes man.

J.C staff did an amazing job introducing you to this incredibly complex and intricate magical world as well as the characters. This series has one of the most detailed magic systems ever and I can’t wait for people to really experience all it’s got to offer.

The art, animation and pacing were all very solid. When it comes to JC Staff you just never know but this time it seems they got it right. They been on a roll since Railgun T and it looks like this could be among their best.. I just pray the quality stays this good throughout.

Pacing is going to be the big test for them here. The first volume in particular is quite thick and has a lot of world building. I hope they don’t pull an Index.

Cautiously optimistic.

Seriously. The first anime girl that shows up looks exactly like how I'd imagine anime Hermione. MC has black hair like Harry, then the next guy to walk on screen has red hair. 
Shoot first, think never.
Jul 8, 2023 2:51 PM

Feb 2019
Haunt-bot said:
Marinate1016 said:
FINALLY. The REAL anime Harry potter is here. Man I wish I could’ve streamed my reaction to this first episode because I’ve been waiting for and pushing this Light Novel for so long. Tears in my eyes man.

J.C staff did an amazing job introducing you to this incredibly complex and intricate magical world as well as the characters. This series has one of the most detailed magic systems ever and I can’t wait for people to really experience all it’s got to offer.

The art, animation and pacing were all very solid. When it comes to JC Staff you just never know but this time it seems they got it right. They been on a roll since Railgun T and it looks like this could be among their best.. I just pray the quality stays this good throughout.

Pacing is going to be the big test for them here. The first volume in particular is quite thick and has a lot of world building. I hope they don’t pull an Index.

Cautiously optimistic.

Seriously. The first anime girl that shows up looks exactly like how I'd imagine anime Hermione. MC has black hair like Harry, then the next guy to walk on screen has red hair. 

Katie is amazing I hope they do her justice in this
Jul 8, 2023 3:52 PM

Apr 2008
There's some things I like about it and some things I really don't. Willing to give it a shot but not all that optimistic. What's up with the parade, though? Who was running it? It'd be one thing if someone dashed out and got trampled, but once she stopped why was there no one to pull back the troll? What was preventing it from wandering into the crowd?
Jul 8, 2023 3:59 PM
Dec 2013
Bisalissy said:
A terribly generic setting of the "dangerous, low-administration magic school" alongside a far oversized cast much like Spy Classroom. But well, I already expected this in advance.

The characters themselves seem just as generic one-dimensional aswell. But for now, that might be because there is no time to flesh out any of them.

For one positive aspect: It did have a few mystery teasers. Hopefully it can get something going with them.
This is totally Spy Classroom all over again. An somewhat interesting light novel that the author didn't care to write in a way that makes it work when not reading it as a book.

At the end of the first book the series lays out what it's actually about then proceeds to not treat that with any sense of urgency.  The author is more obsessed with fleshing out the world of wizardry than advancing the main plot at a steady clip.
Jul 8, 2023 4:06 PM
Nov 2017
usually i give an anime 3-5 ep but this one didnt even last 10min
Jul 8, 2023 4:09 PM
Nov 2017
EienGem said:
Quite surprising how this is quite underrated.
there is a reason why its cuz its not good. 
Jul 8, 2023 10:29 PM
Mar 2019
the writing in this episode felt like the winning story in a middle school class writing competition.
Jul 8, 2023 11:00 PM

Jan 2021
The episode was definitely all over the place, and I kind of felt like I missed an episode, but it did get my interest. I like the characters already, and that last part left me thinking (was it the blood from the last war she supposedly fought in, or is she a killer of some kind?)

Jul 8, 2023 11:57 PM
Jul 2022
I didn't had any expectation to this show, since I don't know know anything about it before... but the episode 1 looks promising. The animation, the colors, the vibe, and the soundtrack are not the top of the class, but it's not bad either. The story itself is actually pretty generic, your typical fantasy with magic and beast and stuff- and our beloved Mr. know-it-all MC. That aside I like the pacing of this episode. The world building got the right portion with enough descriptive monologue and from the action it self. That's pretty rare storytelling for these kinds of fantasy anime trope. It seems JC Staff know what they're doing, so let's just hope the quality or the story aren't getting shit mid way.
Jul 9, 2023 12:04 AM

Oct 2008
seems too rushed for me! this should have ep 0 as a starting world building ep! but not this fast huh...
4/5.

Jul 9, 2023 12:38 AM
John Titor

Jul 2017
After having watched Mashle, I felt some kind of déjà-vu, minus Saitama and the choux à la crème. And there's even a non-magical character. At the end, I decided to carry on with this show, not that fanservice had anything to do with it.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Jul 9, 2023 2:11 AM

Oct 2015
Acctra said:
The episode was definitely all over the place, and I kind of felt like I missed an episode, but it did get my interest. I like the characters already, and that last part left me thinking (was it the blood from the last war she supposedly fought in, or is she a killer of some kind?)

I have not seen the anime but I have read first 8 volumes of LN. You are probably asking about the scars of Nanao’s body.

LN Volume 1 spoilers:

Hopes this answers your question. :)
Jul 9, 2023 2:22 AM

Mar 2008
Started off slow feeling super generic but it actually seems well animated in some scenes and the characters don't all seem that bad.  I am bothered by how they had Katie say something poignant about trolls only for it to be downplayed hardcore like she's an idiot only seconds later where a troll was about to attack her and there is nothing said like "oh the troll must have thought i was going to attack" or anything along those lines, no.  I feel like i got too many characters at once. No way am i going to remember them all. 
Jul 9, 2023 4:51 AM
Mar 2023
what is going on in this anime ;-;
Jul 9, 2023 10:03 AM

Dec 2022
something tells me this anime gets deep
Jul 9, 2023 10:55 AM
Nov 2019
lasted 8 minutes before Ive reached a consensus this is not worth my time. I really tried, but I cant find it in myself to watch an anime Ive seen 25 times already, but with differently proportioned girls or differing hair. I dont have it in me.
Jul 9, 2023 11:35 AM
Anime Archivist

Aug 2019
This first episode really was just an introduction to the world. We got our MC and his circle of new friends, we got a little bit of magical fighting which is always appreciated, and considering the differing backgrounds of the MC's circle I could easily see some bits of tension which will need to be dealt with. There's a bit of a Harry Potter vibe going on, which I can appreciate.

On one hand, I don't find it particularly amazing. It didn't go above and beyond, just welcomed us to some characters and the school body as a whole. On the other, I feel like MAL is being a little too harsh with the average. It's not a failure of a first ep, so it boggles me how it struggles to reach a 7 when other shows cleared 7 with far less struggle.
Jul 9, 2023 11:50 AM

Jan 2021
NewestPersonHere said:
Acctra said:

I have not seen the anime but I have read first 8 volumes of LN. You are probably asking about the scars of Nanao’s body.

LN Volume 1 spoilers:

Hopes this answers your question. :)
I understood that part from this episode, but the last line before the end of the episode just had my imagination going wild, that's all. I was probably just over thinking it, especially since she already said she had fought in the last war.

Jul 9, 2023 3:52 PM

Sep 2013
Seemed interesting enough, but the pacing was terrible. It just jumped from one scene to the next, without leaving any breathing room at all. I felt and understood practically nothing after watching. The source material could be excellent, but I can't see myself watching this if they don't slow it down massively. Let it breathe, for god's sake.
Jul 9, 2023 4:26 PM
Jun 2023
I liked it. 0: I didn’t expect much but I liked the characters; they all seem interesting and pretty fleshed out. Although glasses boy was annoying, lol.

I thought the scene of the mc tucking glasses kid into bed was cute as heck; like he sees he’s putting up a front and already on big brother duty. ;u; I’m curious about the mc’s relatives and whatever the scene with mystery spy chick was about.
Jul 9, 2023 4:29 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I heard the start was gonna be the weakest part of the show, it would be reassuring to know if source readers could back that up for me? 

The introduction episode did feel rather dry but i do have hope that this gets better. 
Jul 9, 2023 5:27 PM

Oct 2015
Smudy said:
I heard the start was gonna be the weakest part of the show, it would be reassuring to know if source readers could back that up for me? 

The introduction episode did feel rather dry but i do have hope that this gets better. 

I have only read the first 8 volumes.

The first volume starts off very Harry Potter, by introducing characters, making magic comedy, dangerous classes, some seniors preying on juniors for human experimentation. But the epilogue ends up as dark as Berserk. >_>

The ending of Volume 1 is:

Volume 2 and Volume 3 is as tragic as Made In Abyss.

Volume 4 is more Harry Potter. Volume 5 is as dark as Berserk again. Volume 6 is PTSD. Volume 7 being Harry Potter Globet Of Fire. Volume 8 being Made In Abyss tragic story.

Hopes this answers your questions. :)

EDIT: Forgot to answer your original question, Volume 4 is the weakest volume~
NewestPersonHereJul 10, 2023 3:19 AM
Jul 9, 2023 5:57 PM

May 2021
I actually expected worse animation from JC Staff but this show in that aspect looks more than capable. That said, everything else is filled with stereotypes. Yet another magical school, yet again same types of characters, same introduction episode like many others. And overacting, dear god the overacting is terrible. If that's called character writing, then please stop. I'd rather have blank nonames than this.

All that said, it wasn't as offensive as I expected. It even looks decent, but all of this has been seen so many times am just not interested in wasting my time which could be better spent elsewhere.
Jul 9, 2023 9:07 PM
Apr 2022
Shinoa____Hiragi said:
just another typical fantasy really very dissapointed I was thinking like some kind of the eminence in shadow plot lmaoo my bad

I don't want to spoil too much, but there will be some plot twist that change the series a bit into Eminence in Shadow-like but in serious tone.
Jul 9, 2023 9:34 PM
Apr 2023
tsurugi_star said:
Shinoa____Hiragi said:
just another typical fantasy really very dissapointed I was thinking like some kind of the eminence in shadow plot lmaoo my bad

I don't want to spoil too much, but there will be some plot twist that change the series a bit into Eminence in Shadow-like but in serious tone.

oh really seems like you are an manga reader
Jul 9, 2023 9:53 PM

May 2019
I got a bit of Harry Potter/Mashle vibes since this is in a magic school setting. The characters, except for Nanao, are not that interesting so far but hopefully that will change as the storyline progresses.
Jul 9, 2023 10:59 PM
Feb 2022
love this and hope to see more.
Jul 10, 2023 12:14 AM

Aug 2011
Jul 10, 2023 4:36 AM
Oct 2021
this episode was boring (no action and the main character is bland) . I will watch the next episode to be sure, but this pales in comparison to The Eminence in Shadow
Jul 10, 2023 9:55 AM

May 2013
I dunno I saw this getting praised cause of the source but everything so far is so generic, it just feels like your usual magic academy series. But I dropped too much already so might give it a few more episodes
Jul 10, 2023 12:03 PM
Jan 2022
At first I thought it will be just a boring hp-like-anime, but the ending of the episode really catch my attention. I hope it won't be just another anime about magic school with zero orginal idea, a copy-paste.
Jul 10, 2023 7:20 PM
Jan 2020
I think the strongest part of this show is the animation, loved seeing actual 2d monsters move and the scenery looks good.  Setting looks like harry potter but am hoping for more with the mc and samurai as they seem to be the only interesting characters. Hope they lean into the whole idea that 20% of students die from magic and the story follows darker themes. Seems significantly better than generic isekai 100 but will have to see. 
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Hype? LN readers where you at?

RealityChanges - May 7

28 by MRD_Crowe »»
Sep 6, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Nanatsu no Maken ga Shihai suru Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2023

114 by zcv45 »»
Aug 23, 7:42 PM

» This harry potter mess was pretty bad.

xsilicon9 - Jul 27

19 by Animillion »»
Jul 31, 6:04 PM

» what's wrong with it? ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Jul 14, 2023

92 by 8oomer »»
Jul 12, 9:14 AM

» In which way this is an LGBT anime?

Dije - Apr 22

37 by RioAl »»
Jul 8, 4:35 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.