Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 2, 2017 6:56 PM
Mar 2017
This anime has serious potential and dat soundtrack tho
Apr 2, 2017 7:02 PM

Feb 2014
Art/animation is giving me a terrible Taboo Tattoo vibe, hoping thats not the case.

Episode otherwise enjoyable

Apr 2, 2017 7:15 PM
May 2010
That first half with the car chase CGI, I don't think I can get into it. The second half though make me hooked to the series especially that scene when Sana saw Zouroku and the flowers, that's one awesome scene, the soundtrack and everything is beautiful.

Also the ED is nice, the visual is very simple but the song is great. I feels like I've heard the singer before can't remember where though :(
Apr 2, 2017 7:28 PM

Mar 2015
Fascinating setup! I will be watching more of this anime. Sort of Elfin Lied meets Usagi Drop :)
The sword that takes life gives life
Apr 2, 2017 7:31 PM

Nov 2015
Top_Sergeant said:
Sort of Elfin Lied

Ugh. Let's hope not.
Apr 2, 2017 7:43 PM

Mar 2015
It was a great episode i think the chasing scene was weird probable the cg but i didnt mind. The second part was relaxing and heartwarming i hope it keep it up.
My Candies:

My bonus Candies:
Apr 2, 2017 9:19 PM

Jun 2016
funniervalentine said:
Too many plotholes like if Sana can create anything why didn't she made money to buy food or food itself to satisfy her hunger

It takes "immense energy" to summon anything. Assuming Sana even had the energy to do it at that point, summoning food likely wouldn't even be worth it. As for money, she would presumably have to know the exact currency used down to minute detail and then summon it with perfect accuracy, or else it would just be useless counterfeit/non-cash.
PlasmatizeApr 2, 2017 10:27 PM
Apr 2, 2017 9:42 PM

Sep 2015
I didn't really have any intentions on following this anime, but after watching that lengthy first episode, I'm on board.
Aside from the CGI bits, I really enjoyed this premiere.
Apr 2, 2017 9:57 PM

Aug 2015
Except for the car chase which was dull because the 3DCG they used on biking girls last season was better, the rest was interesting and fun to watch. I like the ED song and the ost TO-MAS delivered the goods again.
Apr 2, 2017 10:31 PM

Jul 2013
Action sucks, CGI sucks, and some directing issues such as the background moving after they stopped the car, and the bad sound quality on the rain, but honestly, I can't bring myself to hate it. It was quite charming and had great character interaction. The ending song was great and I can see this becoming the dark horse of the season. Most people will see the bad CGI and immediately drop it. I for one look forward to more. Also, Sana is adorable. Not to mention I really like the art style when it isn't shoddy CGI. Let's just hope the tone down the action scenes.
Apr 2, 2017 10:47 PM

Jun 2013
I loved this. Seriously.

All these connections with Alice in Wonderland makes me smile. Really looking forward to more <3
Apr 3, 2017 12:03 AM

Mar 2014
The first episode was ok and I'm looking forward to more, although I really hope they refrain from any cgi scenes; they looked terrible.
Apr 3, 2017 12:09 AM
May 2014
Lymus said:
Car stops, "Why did you stop"

background, while the "camera" is in the car, keeps moving like they are still driving ...

Yeah it bothered me too.
And usually the first ep is better animated than the rest. So I'm worried for the next ones :-/

But despite that, I found it enjoyable and really love this old guy ^^
Apr 3, 2017 2:55 AM

Jul 2016
Vanschia said:
don't watch seinen series if you're still kid inside
and then bash the series because it's 'boring' and you dont like it

I dunno to which of the two you were referring, but they were not simply "boring" - they were actually disturbing. Urara was just an overload of fanservice, to downright toxic levels (do you rly think real girls would act like they do in ep. 8 or 12?)...and Demi-chan was just a moe show where any attempt to convey a socially acceptable message was grinded to dust by the need to pander to an audience which just wanted to bawww at the girls (like in Urara).

There are so many better anime for adults (like Usagi Drop, just off the top of my head), that I don't rly know what you're trying to get at. Have you even checked my animelist before claiming I'm somehow "not into seinen"?

EDIT: Here's below a piece explaining why I disliked those two anime more in depth, which I posted on another site

Urara no Meirochou... I don't even know where to begin. Unlike the above shows, I noticed I was in for a less than satisfying experience from day 1. But I stuck with it because hey, maybe it could get better [...]. Maybe the show will eventually grow tired of the same sexual-related jokes, give up on the excessive fanservice, and actually deliver an acceptable blend of action and comedy (like LWA). But no. If anything, it got worse as the series progressed. The only episodes which are somehow barely tolerable are the last two [ep. 10 and 11 at the time of writing this] - not only because we finally get something resembling action/plot, but also because one of the chars actually gets called out on the excessive fanservice-pointing-out attitude. However, this does not even begin to redeem this trainwreck of a show. Seriously, what the hell JC Staff? What happened to the studio that made Toradora and Golden Time?

Demi-chan... this show could've been good. And I mean, quite good. But here's the problem. If you make a show about girls who are stuck with a problem which impairs their integration in normal social life, you should at least make an attempt to portray them as actually rounded characters, rather than just focus on their anormality. The demis, however, have few - if any - quirks to speak of, and basically no issues or problems which do not stem from their demi nature. What's worse, the show actually shoots down the whole idea of treating them as normal people, basically approving the excessively caring attitude of Takahashi-sensei at the expense of any actual char development of anyone involved. What we get, thus, is mostly a bunch of pointless heartwarming moments spotted by made-up drama which is quickly wrapped up before the episode ends. If you want to see a fictional treatment of disability which actually takes disabled chars as real, well-rounded chars who're not defined by their disability only, I'd suggest you to try the visual novel Katawa Shoujo, rather than wasting your time with this anime.
ZaratorApr 3, 2017 3:25 AM
Apr 3, 2017 4:30 AM

Nov 2013
@zarator

except both of them were supposed to be simple slice of life with cute girls and heartwarming moments?

i mean...why would a show about girls who want to do divination have a lot of action?

about demi-chan...yes they could have made a lot more stuff about their problems to fit in society or whatever...but they did some of it and the rest of the show was about cute stuff

also, what other kind of "calm shows where almost nothing happens" did you watch?
no aria, no amanchu, no flying witch, and lots more that i love and you didn't watch and probably wouldn't like lol

if you don't want to be disapointed then you probably shouldn't watch airing animes, that way you can choose something that you know will be good enough for you
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Apr 3, 2017 4:51 AM

Jul 2016
winddevil1 said:
@zarator

except both of them were supposed to be simple slice of life with cute girls and heartwarming moments?

i mean...why would a show about girls who want to do divination have a lot of action?

about demi-chan...yes they could have made a lot more stuff about their problems to fit in society or whatever...but they did some of it and the rest of the show was about cute stuff

also, what other kind of "calm shows where almost nothing happens" did you watch?
no aria, no amanchu, no flying witch, and lots more that i love and you didn't watch and probably wouldn't like lol

if you don't want to be disapointed then you probably shouldn't watch airing animes, that way you can choose something that you know will be good enough for you

It's not the lack of action per se which is a problem (though I can't say I like it). I mean, for a comparison, Gabriel Dropout doesn't have any real action or plot either and still gets a 7 from me.

The problem, as I said, is that they were more disturbing than relaxing. If the girls in Urara, for example, acted simply as girls of their age, rather than indulging in sexy and titillating scenes like they were on a stage for moe fans to watch and gawk, I would have appreciated it. Instead, the show went to silly levels in order to sexualize these girls. I can stand fanservice if it actually plays a role in the plot (like, say, how the constant male gazes in School Days serve to emphasize Makoto's slow descent into depravity), but not when it's just done to "please" the audience. I, for one, was not pleased.

As for Demi-chan... there are plenty of shows where one can see cute girls. The notion that a show would be based on "cute girls" with nothing else about it sounds quite stupid to me. This is especially true for Demi-chan because the show hardly does any char development to make the demis sound like real, well-rounded chars. Why would I end up caring specifically about these chars when all they have about them is that, well, "they are cute"? There are plenty of other cute chars in the anime world... many of which have a lot more going for themselves than just being cute.

Anyway, this is sorta getting off the rails. My comment about Urara was mostly because the guy above me who gave 1/5 to this episode of Alice claimed it was "boring" and "nothing happened" - and the same guy gave 10/10 to Urara as well (which, as you said yourself, is about no action happening at all). Which sounded kinda silly to me, because there was more plot in this one episode than in the entire season of Urara Meirochou.
Apr 3, 2017 5:07 AM

Apr 2015
I`m actually surprised with this anime. I was not really expecting much but it surprised me. I like it but...
those CGI cars man. It does not mesh with the scenes will. Also the CGI chase scene. THAT SCENE.
Also... when the car stopped... Why was the background moving?
There were so much animation errors! But..
I really enjoyed this episode. 4/5!!! Seeing how it was 44 mins... J.C. Staff must be serious about this anime... Hopefully it doesn`t go downhill

I`ll try to ignore the bad animations >_<
So far so good.

Looking forward for the next episode.
KzalcaApr 3, 2017 5:11 AM
Apr 3, 2017 5:24 AM

Nov 2013
@zarator
the sexualised parts from urara are mostly from chiya being an girl raised from animals, and animals show their belly to apologise lol

demi-chan was mostly about cute girls but i love it, specially hikari, she is one of those hype girls that i like even if they don't do much =D

ya alice has a quite a plot, not sure why anyone would say otherwise
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Apr 3, 2017 5:46 AM

Jul 2015
hum.. story and the concept and the animation looks interesting but nothing special.
gonna continue, hope it get better later on.
Apr 3, 2017 6:15 AM
Sep 2012
almost dropped at first half, that chase scene was awful
i hope it would tell a lot about flowers than supernatural thing (lol)
Apr 3, 2017 6:19 AM

Jul 2016
winddevil1 said:

the sexualised parts from urara are mostly from chiya being an girl raised from animals, and animals show their belly to apologise lol

Aside from that being a thinly veiled excuse for just showing Chiya's belly repeatedly, the fanservice goes WAY beyond that.

Just look at episode 8, for example - we have girls fawning all over each other's costumes etc., crabs cutting bras repeatedly, and other forms of fanservice-comedy. Episode 12 is just as bad, too - did we really need ANOTHER bath contest?

demi-chan was mostly about cute girls but i love it, specially hikari, she is one of those hype girls that i like even if they don't do much =D

If you liked it good for you, but it makes me laugh when people come to me claiming it was a "mature show" when it was just "cute girls doing cute things" with next to no actual char depth/development. Hikari, in particular, is hardly defined besides "being a vampire" and "being fun". Maybe that's okay with many, but personally, I've seen side NPCs in other stories with more character than her.
Apr 3, 2017 6:25 AM

Sep 2016
URARA MEIROCHO IS THE BEST ANIME 2017 AND CHIYA IS THE BEST GIRL
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 3, 2017 6:27 AM

Jun 2015
I don't know what to think about this, it had pretty questionable quality. The interactions between the characters felt a little off, the CGI, though not terrible, felt kind of out of place, and some of the art and animation was just plain bad. Not the best first episode I've watched, but the story seems interesting so I'll give it a chance. I just hope the next episode isn't quite as bumpy as this was.
"Hurry up with my damn croissants."
Apr 3, 2017 8:09 AM

Jul 2015
It was alright, but damn that car chase scene was terrible. The CGI was also seriously bad. However, the interaction between the old man and the girl was interesting and I just like the old man in general.

3/5, no more (CGI) action scenes please

Yo college can you stop killing me lol

ProfileListMusicDog

Apr 3, 2017 8:42 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
DEJA VU
IVE JUST BEEN IN THIS PLACE BEFORE
HIGHER ON THE STREET

seriously tho, that car chase CGI scene was really bad.
Well, the CGI overall is bad.

Beside that, nothing amazing but it was an interesting start.
Apr 3, 2017 9:07 AM

Sep 2016

pretty much sum up ep.1 of this anime
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 3, 2017 10:17 AM

Aug 2015
I have no idea what the heck you guys are on about but I really liked it. I don't think the cgi was a big deal either.
JokucApr 3, 2017 5:58 PM
It's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.
Apr 3, 2017 10:20 AM

Nov 2016
Decent start and the 44 min were a nice surprise. I think the episode was somehow captivating and the time flew by fast, which is a good sign. OSTs were nice, characters and comedy average, the art/animation and especially the CGI aren't my thing, but that's a minor flaw in my eyes.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 3, 2017 10:47 AM
Jul 2018
Aside from the scenario CGI which was pretty damn bad, the episode itself was actually pretty good to be fairly honest. Pretty decent establishment of the situation as well as the introduction between Sana and Zouroku were pretty nice.

Though considering production wise I can understand since ht had a lot of ADs from what I got, which is pretty much hell in some sense. It still looked consistent when it came to the designs and some of the backgrounds. I thought the music and the ED along with the second half being the highlight of the episode.
Apr 3, 2017 10:57 AM

Jul 2014
l liked more than I expected. SOL was the best part, interactions between Zouroku and Sana were nice

The CGI was bad and hilarious in some scene but I don't mind.

OST by TO-MAS.....oh the Flip Flappers vibes :')
Apr 3, 2017 11:13 AM

Sep 2013
Way better than expected, the people being experimented on so the grown ups can use them.

The cg doesn't bother me anymore after kemono friends :)
Apr 3, 2017 11:33 AM
Mar 2016
What a pretty interesting anime that was, I am really like the old man a lot and also the soundtrack is pretty good, I'm hoping this is more of Sol than an action show to be honest hopefully is can balance them well if they go with both. The ED is really cute and so fun to listen to I love the music in it. Hope it keeps on being good <3
Apr 3, 2017 11:41 AM

Feb 2011
This episode was a reminder that, as intolerable as Kemono Friends' CGI was, it can still be much worse. That, an the moving background behind the stopped car sure was a great example of QUALITY. Generally, the action was pretty meh.

However, as expected, the interactions between Sena and Zoroku was the highlight and something I look forward to see more of. I just hope that it won't be very action-heavy.

So far, I'm unsure what to think of it, but there's quite some potential there. Now it has to show whether it can realize it.

Apr 3, 2017 12:00 PM
Oct 2007
ANN lists 3D modeling cooperation as Bones. What cooperation, like where to find 3D modeling for dummies?
Apr 3, 2017 2:25 PM
Mar 2016
Oh boy, get ready for a show with longer episodes. Hopefully they keep this show short, around 10-13 episodes. How long does it really take to destroy a research facility? xD

I'm hoping this show takes some darker turns. They hinted at the possibility, but I would really like it if they decided to go down the path of Elfen Lied violence and gore. Ok, maybe not as insane as that show, but a cross between the dark undertones and overtones of Madoka Magica and Elfen Lied would be really nice.
Apr 3, 2017 2:26 PM

Feb 2008
A fairly charming start. The characters mingle rather well, that old man is pure gold. All things considered, florist is a suitable profession for him. The mysteries regarding the powers of Dreams of Alice were intriguing as well.

I'm definitely looking forward to more.
Apr 3, 2017 2:34 PM

Jul 2007
Well, everything has been said, it seems, from the icky cg bits to the interesting story line.

Kind of like a magical girl slice of life comedy, and I did like the story, even if only one episode.

Those three powerful kids getting a smack-down of terror from an old man was excellent.
Apr 3, 2017 2:47 PM

Dec 2009
Why are they copying Ume sensei's style?
Apr 3, 2017 4:42 PM

Nov 2008
Well I didnt expect a 44 min first ep I noticed like 10 min - so far series shows a lot of potential nothing 'brand new' but I like the dynamic it shows so far ; - I am to assume the 'Blue' power using girl and t he truck were on the same side aiding her ? Thats how I saw it anyway; I wonder how many factions there really are in the series.
-----------------------
@Zarator Demi has its 'serious and or mature' moments has plenty of comedy cute moments and plenty of overall slice of life moments - more or less it was a well adapted anime from its parent material why waste your time watching something 10 minutes of reading its parent material would have told you isnt your thing long before it even aired? I liked it for what it was *shrug* as an aside I miss my Flying witch and Non Non Biyori and Amanchus
sirwenceApr 3, 2017 5:26 PM
Apr 3, 2017 6:16 PM
May 2016
It was super interesting. the first episode was twice as long as normal episodes but it helped you get more invested in the story and I can't wait to see where this anime goes with the next episode.
Apr 3, 2017 6:25 PM

Jul 2016
sirwence said:

@Zarator Demi has its 'serious and or mature' moments has plenty of comedy cute moments and plenty of overall slice of life moments - more or less it was a well adapted anime from its parent material why waste your time watching something 10 minutes of reading its parent material would have told you isnt your thing long before it even aired? I liked it for what it was *shrug* as an aside I miss my Flying witch and Non Non Biyori and Amanchus

I don't like to spoil myself by reading the adapted material, regardless of whether or not I'm liking the show. Also, there's something funny about these reactions - if one criticizes a show he's dropped, he's told that "you speak like that because you've not seen it all". And if he has seen it all, he's asked "why did you even watch it completely, then". Is there any way to criticize an anime without one's watching decisions are called into question, one way or the other?^^
Apr 3, 2017 6:46 PM

Jul 2011
That was definitely more plot-driven than I expected. But the use of powers is interesting and.... I. LOVE. THIS. OLD. MAN. He's so proper, kind, and a florist to top it off. I expected this to be more of a SoL thing, but I don't mind the way this was tackled. I enjoy the characters too. :D

edit: Zouroku is voiced by Batou too<333
Apr 3, 2017 6:49 PM

Jul 2016
well i Hope the animation improves latter on, because it really is distracting tbh. other than this i love the pacing of this episode. character introduction was decent but a tad confusing ( that's on me tho, sometimes I'm an idiot.) so yeah, lets see how this goes...

Honestly i expected better from J.C in terms of animation. in the recent years they have been getting better and better.
damn, the forums these days...
Apr 3, 2017 7:37 PM

Jul 2015
Well... Not exactly as high quality as I thought it would be after realizing it was 40 minutes long, but interesting enough to keep me watching. Visual problems here and there aside, this was pretty good.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Apr 3, 2017 7:43 PM

Dec 2009
Really enjoyed the first episode of this. Animation didn't bug me, I was actually a fan of the SoL type of character designs with it also being an action show.
Apr 3, 2017 8:28 PM

Oct 2008
I'm definitely gonna follow this!
old man Zouroku is cool and his composed attitude is one of a kind!
J.C. Staff is doing good on this one!
5/5.

Apr 3, 2017 9:16 PM
Jul 2014
Heeeh, looks like peoples are complaining about the CGI,
maybe i'm the odd one here, but i think the CGI looks good,
it's fit well with the anime (in a good way) ,
the only thing that bother me is the moving scenery when the car stopped,
other than that i like the first episode.
code73Apr 4, 2017 10:50 AM
Apr 3, 2017 9:47 PM

Mar 2017
Couldn't get through the first 10 minutes. CGI clashes heavily with the rest of the show, character interactions are bland and make little sense, and there are a lot of sloppy inconsistencies such as the background still moving when the car was "stopped".

Moe is saving anime.
Apr 3, 2017 11:40 PM

Oct 2011
I love the interaction with Alice and Zoroku
Apr 4, 2017 3:24 AM

Jan 2013
So every episode is 44 minutes long? Damn xD
Interesting first episode, the only thing I didn't like was the CGI.

Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Alice to Zouroku Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2017

114 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Dec 21, 2023 11:02 PM

Poll: » Alice to Zouroku Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 14, 2017

60 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Dec 20, 2023 10:42 PM

» Deserves a second season.

Botan-Chan45 - May 3, 2018

2 by Hofner1962 »»
Aug 31, 2023 10:11 PM

Poll: » Alice to Zouroku Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 28, 2017

50 by cat_of_hell »»
Oct 8, 2022 11:05 AM

Poll: » Alice to Zouroku Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2017

37 by CQLLIST »»
May 20, 2022 9:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.