Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Those White Notes
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 21, 2021 10:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Lol, Akari. I know she can be a bit sensitive and emotional, but it really showed this episode.

A solid performance on stage this episode by Mai and her team. No wonder were intensely watching them. Hopefully this episode also motivates Setsu and his club members.
May 21, 2021 12:14 PM

Jul 2017
Shuri's such a cutie, and Yui's on the verge of her last competition. Hope she can stay around more in the club.

The popular guy Ushio Arakawa not just makes a showing of his popularity, but through his repertoire skill of the Shamisen. The "Arakawa Twang", yep, what a performance, if you can call it that. And yes, what Setsu mentioned is right: Ushio's the lead player, and all the background players merely provided BGM sound for the main SFX. You could tell where the focus went to, musician or not.

I'll admit that the dialogue has gotten a whole lot cheezier than Kono Oto Tomare, but in its own right, this show's cast (at least for the Tsugaru Shamisen Appreciation Club) isn't bad either with its own mix of drama filled with tangible feelings and emotions. In this case, Yui having to put her life on the line for everyone, private or public, her wrangling emotions got the better of her, and Shuri's such a great supporting character. Everyone else also has their share of problems, but this show does not make it seem like one-off issues to tackle, which makes it great.

Souichi's perception of the performances is so funny lols, characterizing by food, he's such a useless guide. His sister Mai is so flabbergasted, seeing the club act like Super Saiyan with the poses, and her battle signal against Setsu starts with the engrossing burst of sound, traditional-made-modern, all-out performance. A risky move, but it paid off handsomely.

Time for Setsu and the others to showcase their performance piece, and it's time to go and show the audience what they're made of. Anticipating great things for the next episode.
May 21, 2021 12:15 PM

Jun 2019
This episode started with a bit of emotion from Yui's side. Everyone's nervous about the upcoming performance and they're doing their best to calm themselves down. We got to see how Shuri's nature was back in the days and how Yui helped her regain confidence and how they became friends.

There's a lot of competition here. Everyone's going a great job with their performances. Mai, Setsu's self-acclaimed rival was amazing as well. But, she was trying so hard that she didn't think of her teammates at all and kept doing what she liked which made her performance a bit more dull by the end.

Whereas, Setsu is going for the team's first strategy. He's going to keep up with his teammates rather than the other way around which is pretty mature of him as a professional. It'll be great to see their performance in the next episode. Can't wait for them to blow everyone's minds.
May 21, 2021 12:21 PM
Sep 2015
Seems like everyone's issue is exploding at the same time in this episode, with no prelude.

Prelude is important, remember Kono Oto take the whole first cour to dive into character's background before entering the big tournament in the second cour?

But Mashiro has only 12 episodes so this is as good as it can get with just one cour.
May 21, 2021 12:23 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Ushio's performance was pretty impressive. Shuri's anger at Yui's stoic nature was pretty funny. Still it did serve as a good jump off point for the showcase of Yui and Shuri's strong bond. Mai's team sure had quite the unique name as was their performance and motivation. All of which served to make their performance that much more impressive. Can't wait to see Setsu and teams performance next week. Overall a slow paced ep but one that did well to expand greatly upon the bond that Yui shares with Shuri as well as Mai's genuine skill with the Shamisen. Its always nice to see Setsu's mother experience complications in her schemes.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 21, 2021 12:34 PM

Apr 2018
Seems like we have to wait till next friday to hear their performance, pretty good ep.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
May 21, 2021 12:39 PM

Sep 2020
Good episode an all but man I want the performance already.
May 21, 2021 1:07 PM
Sep 2018
Try as I might, I wasn't able to think of anything I'd have really wanted them to cut from this episode...which makes it very successful indeed when I'd been psyched for their performance.
It'll be next week for that after all.

There really was a lot of good stuff, both filling in background for various folks and providing more concerning the other competitors. Some good interpersonal stuff.

Umiko grudgingly conceding that MaiMai actually was that good was lovely.
The possibility that she'll grant an exception and allow her to compete as an individual entry isn't entirely dead yet.

Now to wait another week.
May 21, 2021 1:37 PM
Apr 2019
I really hate shuri man so annoying all the time and am hyped for their performance tho.
May 21, 2021 1:45 PM

Sep 2019
inb4 they drag it on for even longer and not show their performance until the last episode. Seriously, this is getting boring. Shuri was cute though.
May 21, 2021 2:01 PM
Apr 2021
just a wonderful episode and anime
May 21, 2021 2:06 PM

Jul 2017
Yui showing why once again she is best girl. but now that all the backstories (except maybe blue boy) and therefore all teh character development is out of the way hopefully now it'll be the actual performance

z00nex said:
inb4 they drag it on for even longer and not show their performance until the last episode. Seriously, this is getting boring. Shuri was cute though.

inb4 they do an Ahiru no Sora and drag the performance itself for 4 eps
May 21, 2021 3:59 PM

Jun 2014
i like the show its great, but the last two episodes been half soup boiling on the bone dragging things out even more, since they know we want to hear them perform.
The show is already slightly dragging things out, with the pacing of the story in general, and now they ad extra soup boiling
And i find that ruins the show a little, that they go the modern tv serie way of dragging things out boiling soup of the bones now they hocked people to the show.

If they keep doing that a great show going to end up mediocer, so lets hope this the last soup boiling we see in this show.
May 21, 2021 5:53 PM
Wings

Apr 2017
Another build up episode to the performance :v

At least it seems that the time will come next episode ^^
May 21, 2021 6:56 PM
Apr 2021
episode 7 was really boring, but this one got me so hype, cant wait for the next episode
May 21, 2021 7:12 PM

Apr 2008
Oh man. What was with that O-face??
May 21, 2021 8:51 PM

Jun 2019
I’ve come to the conclusion that this anime is being carried by its musical performances. I always knew they were the highlight, but this episode really brought to light how I never really cared about the characters or their drama at all. Their developments only look good on paper, not in execution.

But hey, we got a couple good performances this episode and Sawamura’s team is finally performing next episode.
May 21, 2021 9:21 PM
Apr 2017
The pacing gets slower and slower, while the unnecessay drama intensifies. I'm starting to get bored of this show. It got to me at first with the good music, but apparently it doesn't follow on that premise as much as it should.
May 21, 2021 9:28 PM

Apr 2021
Pacing was too slow. Build up for next episode is huge. A little backstory of a character is very good to see.

I hope pacing improve in next episode and quite hype to see what setsu and rei is cooking

Fall 2022 is the most Unforgettable anime season of all time

May 21, 2021 10:49 PM

Dec 2020
the final build up for their performance. since next ep is gonna be the teams performance im guessing episode 10 will be sawamura's solo? ep 11 will be announcements and stuff and they'll wrap things up with episode 12
May 22, 2021 12:01 AM

Mar 2014
jeez the pace was off the place. events kept jumping back and forth.
May 22, 2021 12:22 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Another build-up episode before entering Setsu's group play with his friends. Two major side chars group filled the duration with an outstanding performance. Arakawa twangs, and his stood out play, attracted the first attention. Maimai, and her fantastic friends finished the second wave of audience attention with her steady modern interpretations play. They stood more than Arakwa. Umeko even said a compliment, but still dislike her. Rip to Maimai, even can't see Setsu reaction for her last time.

The time has come, even they already done the sentai pose. Yui also got a little flashback to conclude her characterization. You can be nervous of all you want, girls. Don't act too tough and keep focusing. The last Kai compliment to her also a nice little touch before entering the real deal. Lets see what Setsu's planning for their group play, really can't wait for the next week....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 22, 2021 2:07 AM
Dec 2020
Really interested for next episode, and the ending song really is nice.
May 22, 2021 2:30 AM
Sep 2019
Sean42 said:
Good episode an all but man I want the performance already.

same , never expected cliffhangers from this anime could hurt this much.
May 22, 2021 4:03 AM
Sep 2018
I really liked Tanuma's modern performance but damn, give us Sawamura's team performance already.
And what's with that unnecessary tension at the end? Guys, most of you learned Shamisen a few months ago, it's not like we expect you to surpass the trained-for-years teams just with strong motivation. Why the show build this as if it's a climax performance? lol. That serie is 27 volumes long and things barely started to get serious.

Anyway, 4 more episodes to go. With this pace, I just hope they won't end this anime by teasing us with Setsu's solo performance...
May 22, 2021 4:23 AM
Jul 2018
Pacing is slow though, Yui and Shuri's backstory was impressive and great. They have firm chemistry.
Needless to say, next episode will be hyped. Win or lose!
May 22, 2021 4:37 AM

Oct 2016
Goddamn cliffhangers, I really thought we were gonna get Sawamura team's performance this episode lmao. That was a really great episode though, we pretty much got the character development of everyone in the team, except maybe Rai since I don't think he has any deep rooted problems or something. Setsu was really awesome this episode though especially when he encouraged the team at the end there, "You've got ball, haven't you?" lmao.

Ushio's performance was great but I agree with Setsu that his team was pretty much just a supporting cast in his performance, figuratively and literally. Maimai and her fantastic friends (lol) performance though was pretty good, also really like Maimai herself. Even Umeko thinks she was good, though begrudgingly lmao. I really hope we get a season 2, 1 season is not nearly enough for this, I'd read the manga but, I only find like the first chapter out there. Really looking forward to the next episode and their performance, fucking finally.
May 22, 2021 6:06 AM

Jan 2015
A real shame, but these last two episodes have made me want to stop watching with all the Melodrama. It just feels poorly done and entirely unnecessary, a real shame because as a music anime it was good, but the drama it is so off putting to me, so I stopped watching halfway through this episode. It is hurting the characters as well for me, as now I can only see each character as a tool to create drama.

May 22, 2021 6:50 AM

Jul 2015
I thought their performance would be in this ep. Hah well waiting for the next episode
May 22, 2021 6:55 AM

Jul 2015
Xnovazero said:

Needless to say, next episode will be hyped. Win or lose!

and according to the competitive genre the ep ends with the words "and winner is ..." hahah
May 22, 2021 8:39 AM

Nov 2013
i thought this episode we would get to see sawamura and his friends play but it was still just building up to it but it was still a good episode, it made me feel bad for yui even though im not a fan of her but i empathised with her a lot this episode
May 22, 2021 8:39 AM

Feb 2015
Ugh, drama...

Less drama, more music, please. And hopefully we'll be done with the highschool contest thing, it's the most uninteresting way to treat the theme of music in anime. We already had Kono oto tomare for that not too long ago, once is enough.
May 22, 2021 10:40 AM

Mar 2017
Aomori's performance was amazing, totally unlike anything we've heard so far. As the characters said, their sound was very modern, and to be honest, it's adapting the music like that that'll keep the shamisen relevant and entertaining to younger listeners.

I loved the way Setsu tried to hype everyone up just before they went on stage. He's still so awkward when it comes to interacting with others and expressing himself but his heart is in the right place and he's changing so much for his friends who are starting to understand him - wholesome af

I have to admit though, this episode really wasn't up to the same standard as the other episodes. A lot of the content felt unnecessary, like it was just a way to fill the time before Setsu & the club's performance and the drama felt very forced.
May 22, 2021 11:38 AM
Jul 2018
it was a good episode the songs are still good the development of the characters is really cool is with your dramas of the past is your goal Dreams.
May 22, 2021 11:56 AM
Dec 2018
Just get on stage already! I was sure they would play this week but more backstage build up instead. How can this be worth almost 2 episodes?
May 22, 2021 5:18 PM

Oct 2008
friggin' cliffhanger! i wanna see Setsu's performance and his group! damn!
i feel sorry for Tanuma Mai, even in her greatest form, she's nothing against the current level of Setsu...
5/5.

May 22, 2021 6:52 PM
Mar 2015
That dialogue and drama was just too stupid
May 23, 2021 6:43 AM

Sep 2017
Well they are really keeping us waiting, huh. Let's hope there is some good payoff.
May 23, 2021 8:18 PM

Nov 2012
still missing the orig op. how many episodes is the competition? I was thinking we'd be at the individuals by now. I really want to hear Mai Mai's brother play.

Can someone tell me wth a crank is?
May 23, 2021 11:11 PM

Jul 2020
Meh, this show continues to be my biggest disappointment of the season. No, it's not the worst show at all, just does not ever live up to the expectations created by the first and second episodes. The goofy humor is distracting and I really don't see how anyone can care very much about the other characters, whose names I couldn't even remember until last week (I still don't remember all of them but until last week the only member of the shamisen club I could remember was Kaito). I wanted to punch the teacher in the face; I am so tired of looking at her and everything she says and does is irritating. That pose thing that Mai walked in on was just cringeworthy; I had to look away from the screen and I don't blame Mai for bolting. I would have left and tried to pretend I hadn't seen it. Maybe Mail can; I'm not sure I will be so lucky.

But hey, we got a decent amount of shamisen this episode because isn't that why we are all still watching?
May 26, 2021 12:13 PM

Jan 2019
dragynfaerie said:
still missing the orig op. how many episodes is the competition? I was thinking we'd be at the individuals by now. I really want to hear Mai Mai's brother play.

Same, the competition is going slow enough that the season will probably end with it, I assume.

I also wanna know what a crank is. Urban dictionary says it can be a crazy, eccentric or annoying person, but I'm not sure which it is. Also meth addict, but I don't think that's what they meant. lol
May 27, 2021 7:49 PM

Nov 2011
Sawamura just slapped Yui's ass like it was normal lol.

Oh man I am Hyped for the next one!
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Fall 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

May 28, 2021 1:29 PM

Feb 2008
Oho, Sawamura has a trick up his sleeve. No better man than Nagamori to have his back.

Yamazato managed to get some load off her shoulders. Good for her.
May 29, 2021 1:36 AM

Jan 2013
Forced drama and too little music.
May 29, 2021 11:44 AM

Nov 2012
Sheklon said:
dragynfaerie said:

Same, the competition is going slow enough that the season will probably end with it, I assume.

I also wanna know what a crank is. Urban dictionary says it can be a crazy, eccentric or annoying person, but I'm not sure which it is. Also meth addict, but I don't think that's what they meant. lol

All I knew was the meth addict definition. I wasn't sure which definition from UD to use either.
Jun 10, 2021 5:23 AM

Dec 2016
Yui kinda has a social anxiety, the nervousness caused by social anxiety can be difficult to deal with, so it's understandable.

Souichi reminds me of Inumaki XD

This guy looks like that one Titan XD

This expression reminded me of Giacometti Christophe from Yuri on Ice XD
Jun 18, 2021 3:48 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
That was some good character development, now they'll finally do their representation next episode!!
Jun 19, 2021 12:36 AM

Aug 2018
I love this episode!
The pacing flows really well!
I like how they cope up with their inner struggles in this ep and the shamisen performances are all spectacular I wonder how they will able to beat that or at least reach the same level of those.
Finally the anime gave more backtories around other members.
This probably the best ep so far

Yui : I'm very ugly
Me be like: uhmmm i dont think so

I'm surprised from all the members Yui the one who breakout first because of the pressure at least it got resolve immediatetly .

SOP-IIJun 19, 2021 12:41 AM
B O C C H I  S W E E P
Aug 12, 2021 3:51 AM

Jul 2015
Bit of a buildup episode before Setsu's team performance. Still nice to see Yui and Shuri's past.

Oct 22, 2021 10:01 PM
Mar 2012
Sentai team all so cranky. Yui should tell em earlier of quitting & why, she been most competitive & motivated so far. How each handles nervousness really palpable.
Arakawa team got strong sound. liking the other rock styles too.
Mai group bass & high dynamic awesome, but sounds each too competitive like Mai & fights each other instead of the needed harmony.
Notice each team unique chair arrangement. Mai's projects out, but no one sees their teammates, while Arakwa clearly is ace player in front.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2021

132 by rorocaqwe123 »»
Aug 28, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2021

46 by rorocaqwe123 »»
Aug 28, 5:44 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 28, 2021

65 by rorocaqwe123 »»
Aug 28, 5:44 PM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2021

48 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Aug 18, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Mashiro no Oto Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14, 2021

45 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Aug 18, 1:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.