Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 1, 2018 6:35 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Surprisingly they did not jump to a Reinhardt focused episode but stayed on Wang and the Alliance side. And we get to see Trunicht who is as creepy and nasty as we've always known him to be. What a weasel.

I'm a bit disappointed with the CR translation of this. They're not being consistent with the ranks and should be careful with names. Both the epic fansub of the OVA and the novels spell the name of the top Alliance officer as "Sitolet" and here they spell it as "Sithole". Normally I wouldn't care too much, but every time his name came up I read it as Admiral Shithole, LOL.

Iserlohn episodes coming up next. Buckle up people.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 1, 2018 6:40 AM

Jul 2017
I hated Trunicht so much in the original and I hate that bastard here too.

The memorial service and the stuff with Jessica Edwards was great.

Really hyped for the Iserlohn episodes. They should be really great to witness.
May 1, 2018 6:45 AM

Sep 2014
Trunicht made his debut and revealed his true colours already once Yang showed his stance against his speech along with Jessica saying things that he couldn't counter by sending the nationalistic group Patriotic Knights Corps to harass them. Now the attack on Iserholn Fortress starts but Yang is on a big disadvantage since he has under his command half a fleet.
May 1, 2018 7:03 AM

Jul 2015
Trunicht being Trunicht. Your typical professional politician.

Iserholn Fortress will probably take 4 episodes.

May 1, 2018 7:06 AM

Sep 2016
I hate Cazel-neue design so much -_-
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
May 1, 2018 7:10 AM

Dec 2014
Julian is a good kid. :)

I dislike Truincht, the way he was glorifying death and war was distasteful. I loved how Wang decided to just straight out rebel against him by not standing up.

Wang sure showed that fanatic group. xD
Trunicht being the ring leader of that group isn't even surprising.

Julian was so savage towards Wang by not asking him to help with the cleaning. xD

Congratulations to Wang for becoming the leader of the 13th Fleet.
May 1, 2018 8:00 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
AdrianRubinsky said:
Trunicht being Trunicht. Your typical professional politician.

Iserholn Fortress will probably take 4 episodes.

it's actually pretty ironic that in the politics of 2018, a character like Trunicht wouldn't actually be considered the worst of the bunch, LOL. I wonder how Tanaka would have written him if he had written the novels today.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 1, 2018 8:22 AM

Dec 2015
Nice episode. Liked how they changed the stuff a bit. Some part with a woman with her son at the airport was cut. Instead they got chased in the car (which afaik wasn't in the novel.) They wanted to show how serious the Patriotic Knight Corps are. And a stronger connection to Trunicht. Yang suspects Trunicht. That happened in the novel.

Here we got to see the guy (wasn't described like that in the novel) that also was at the memorial service and Trunicht seemed to knew him by name even though he was only captain.

Also a bit funny stuff with the water - where Yang got wet. (In the novel he was directly at the memorial service hall. They used it so that sprinkler/water system already got introduced before Yang used it later.)

I don't think Iserlohn will take 4 episodes. 2 maybe. The old OVA I think had an episode where Yang saw Schenkopp (Schönkopf) somewhere. I guess they'll do that - and other introduction of new fleet members ... in the next episode. And the start of the plan. Then another episode.

Novel didn't really introduce Schönkopf. He was just there when Yang talked to him about his plan. Still no Rubinsky. But I'm looking forward to Oberstein who serving as staff officer in Iserlohn fleet.
May 1, 2018 8:23 AM

Nov 2016
Another great episode. Trunicht is truly despiseable,but I loved how Yang opposed him. Generally I must say that I dig Yangs character so far, he's courageous,reasonable,caring,humble but also ambitious, has vast knowledge,to sum it up,there's a lot to like about him.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 1, 2018 8:33 AM

Feb 2010
Farabeuf said:

it's actually pretty ironic that in the politics of 2018, a character like Trunicht wouldn't actually be considered the worst of the bunch, LOL. I wonder how Tanaka would have written him if he had written the novels today.

I think they are considered to be among the worst. Just like Jessica pointed that out, Trunicht is nowhere close to the battlefield while glorifying sacrifice and war against a common enemy. It's the same with politicians sending soldiers to die when their own children are not even in the army, or they don't even have children so they only care about getting reelected or serving a particular agenda before leaving.
May 1, 2018 8:42 AM

Sep 2009
Good episode. Was fond of this in the original as well, the first time we see that despite being a democracy the Alliance is similarly corrupt to the Empire.

Character designs are still an issue, what with everyone having more or less the same face (sans Caselnes, whose nose is noticeably larger) - in a series with so many characters that it's damn near impossible to keep track, having distinctive designs is important, and I had more than a few am-I-supposed-to-know-who-that-is moments as usual.

It was well-paced, though, and the car chase was a good scene. While Trunicht's voice is noticeably less charismatic than the OVA version his speech and body language still carries his charisma well enough.

Above all else, though, this is where the series brings in one of its most major themes - the difference between war as glorified by those who don't have to fight it, and the harsh reality of those who do. It's an important milestone.

That said, shame they left out the line about how "the most popular freedom is the freedom to not get involved".

Farabeuf said:
I'm a bit disappointed with the CR translation of this. They're not being consistent with the ranks and should be careful with names. Both the epic fansub of the OVA and the novels spell the name of the top Alliance officer as "Sitolet" and here they spell it as "Sithole". Normally I wouldn't care too much, but every time his name came up I read it as Admiral Shithole, LOL.

Fucking this.
May 1, 2018 8:43 AM

Sep 2015
Jessica didn't reciprocated Jean fellings at first but a little time later she agreed to become his fiance, what changed in that middle time that make her agree with that? I was waiting for more datails but I probably missed something.
May 1, 2018 8:44 AM
Jul 2018
Yes. Never angry a gentleman.

I admire Yang with each following episode.
May 1, 2018 9:00 AM

Sep 2014
Wow the CGI during the car scene looked like it was from 2002.

I kinda want to bring back "job trunicht did nothing wrong" memes but it just doesnt feel right.

My hope storywise is they only focus on the alliance side this much this early on so they can then give us more of the empire side afterwards. Its not to far off to say this story is driven by the empire and the alliance usually just reacts to it.

PS: The fuck happened to julian

PPS: cant wait to see plot device Iserlohn so I can finally drop the score to a 6.
Comander-07May 1, 2018 9:14 AM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 1, 2018 9:05 AM

Jun 2015
Julian is quite the good kid. Truincht is a despicable person, the way he was glorifying death and war was just awful. Wang and Jessica opposing against him was great. It wasn't surprising that Truincht is the leader of that fanatic group. Wang sure showed them. Now the attack on Iserholn Fortress starts.
May 1, 2018 9:12 AM

Mar 2015
Farabeuf said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

I'm a bit disappointed with the CR translation of this. They're not being consistent with the ranks and should be careful with names.

I cannot remember if it was an issue in years past but recently both sub and dub translations have been terrible with military rank. Its like they don't care. One huge exception was the dub for Gate. Not only was rank consistent, the jargon and slang used by Itami's platoon was so spot on that I felt like I was listening to my old rifle platoon.
The sword that takes life gives life
May 1, 2018 9:20 AM
Apr 2010
I honestly think that the way Iserlohn Fortress is handled here is really bad in a subtle way.
Considering the absolutely monumental importance of Iserlohn Fortress to the rest of the series and the absolutely staggering proposal that Yang should take it with half a fleet in the context of what has actually happened beforehand, they really should have mentioned the history of Iserlohn Fortress BEFORE the meeting with Sithole. (This is hoping that they will mention it later.)

People are gonna call me an OVA fanboy, but, while I otherwise find this adaptation to be pretty decent, this lack of consideration fails to properly build up what is to come in a major way, which I don't think should have been ignored.

Failing to set up the stakes is a beginner's mistake.
May 1, 2018 10:29 AM

Sep 2017
That sprinkler scene with the Patriotic Knight Corps was sooooo corny! Might as well carry a Super Soaker around with you at all times, and you'll never hear from those sniveling cowards ever again.

In all seriousness, the episode was average-to-good. The CGI animation is starting to grow on me, particularly the detailed landscapes (pause at 2:35 for an excellent example of this point). That being said, however, the character model's are a bit off-putting -- Julian is hardly recognizable.

The narrative still outshines the cosmetic blemishes, but has yet to emulate the magnificence of the original series. The coming episodes with the capture of Iserlohn Fortress will, most likely, set the tone for the rest of the series.

Here's hoping for the best!
May 1, 2018 11:12 AM

Feb 2013
Truniht is really lame.
Isn't Yang concerned about Jessica?
May 1, 2018 12:15 PM

Sep 2017
As a guy who still hasn't watched the original, I really liked the fact that the Alliance and the Empire are equally bad and the two main characters just want to make them a better place. It's a nice deviation from the tipical Empire=Bad Guys "Democrats"=Good Guys narrative we've seen so often in all kinds of media. Now I can't wait to see the Iserlohn battle.
May 1, 2018 1:05 PM

Sep 2010
AdrianRubinsky said:
Trunicht being Trunicht.

:)... Turnicht is a character that was made to be unlikeable but generally he is really GOOD character in the sense of "him doing his role in this story perfectly".

In any case even though there are quite a lot of scenes skipped or shortened over all this adaptation is not as bad as I originally though. Still with this pacing how far can this series go with 12 episode long anime and three movies? Definitely not till the very end.
May 1, 2018 1:17 PM

Feb 2008
Free Planets Alliance is not as inherently free as its name implies. At least Yang was presented with a goal, albeit an exceedingly distant and arduous one, that will help him struggle to gain freedom in its truer sense.
May 1, 2018 1:34 PM
Jul 2011
Wow, this time the Rosen Ritter's emblem after the final credits.
Schönkopf's badassness upcoming.
May 1, 2018 1:35 PM
Mar 2016
Let's see with the empire the leader there is a dictator who has the personality of Kim Jong Un, while with the free planets, the big man there Turnicht is a bureaucrat who is like that of the Nazi party.
May 1, 2018 2:03 PM

Mar 2012
eso18 said:
AdrianRubinsky said:
Trunicht being Trunicht.

:)... Turnicht is a character that was made to be unlikeable but generally he is really GOOD character in the sense of "him doing his role in this story perfectly".

In any case even though there are quite a lot of scenes skipped or shortened over all this adaptation is not as bad as I originally though. Still with this pacing how far can this series go with 12 episode long anime and three movies? Definitely not till the very end.

The first two books. If they spend these 12 episodes plus the three movies solely on the first two book's story, it could actually be just as well paced as the old OVA. In fact, I believe that would give the first two books more screentime than the old OVA.
May 1, 2018 2:27 PM
Aug 2015
FMmatron said:
Another great episode. Trunicht is truly despiseable,but I loved how Yang opposed him. Generally I must say that I dig Yangs character so far, he's courageous,reasonable,caring,humble but also ambitious, has vast knowledge,to sum it up,there's a lot to like about him.

yang's only ambition is to be a history teacher
May 1, 2018 2:31 PM
Aug 2015
Lindle said:
Good episode. Was fond of this in the original as well, the first time we see that despite being a democracy the Alliance is similarly corrupt to the Empire.

Character designs are still an issue, what with everyone having more or less the same face (sans Caselnes, whose nose is noticeably larger) - in a series with so many characters that it's damn near impossible to keep track, having distinctive designs is important, and I had more than a few am-I-supposed-to-know-who-that-is moments as usual.

It was well-paced, though, and the car chase was a good scene. While Trunicht's voice is noticeably less charismatic than the OVA version his speech and body language still carries his charisma well enough.

Above all else, though, this is where the series brings in one of its most major themes - the difference between war as glorified by those who don't have to fight it, and the harsh reality of those who do. It's an important milestone.

That said, shame they left out the line about how "the most popular freedom is the freedom to not get involved".

Farabeuf said:

Fucking this.

the alliance is not a real democracy is a populist regime that controls all media and the government uses paramilitaries to attack the opposition
May 1, 2018 2:43 PM

Sep 2009
kaelthas31 said:
Lindle said:

the alliance is not a real democracy is a populist regime that controls all media and the government uses paramilitaries to attack the opposition

That's still a democracy. A very bad democracy, true, but a democracy nonetheless.

Also I'm pretty sure that
May 1, 2018 2:48 PM
Aug 2015
Lindle said:
kaelthas31 said:

That's still a democracy. A very bad democracy, true, but a democracy nonetheless.

maduro democratic president or dictator
May 1, 2018 3:01 PM

Sep 2009
kaelthas31 said:
Lindle said:

maduro democratic president or dictator

Dictator, but Trunicht ain't Maduro.
May 1, 2018 3:27 PM

Oct 2008
I'm glad I read the first novel before I starting watching the remake. It's interesting to watch how faithful to the novel this version is. Plus we get to see some scenes animated that were altered in the OVA.

Anyway, another great episode! I really like this Julian. And I'm glad he looks a bit older in the episode than he did in his promo art.

The preview of the next episode was called something like 'Capture of Iserlohn Fortress (Part 1)'. So if they split it into two episodes, then I guess it'll be awhile before we head back to the empire's side in the story. I didn't think it would take two episodes though to be honest.

Can't wait for the next episode!

Also I loved the car scene.
raynaninjaMay 1, 2018 3:33 PM
May 1, 2018 4:22 PM
Apr 2018
Nice episode, better pacing than the last one.

Yang is slowly developing towards what he's supposed to be like, which I'm really glad about.
Nothing much to say about Trunicht, except that he looked a bit younger here.
Although I didn't really like Julian neither from the novel nor the OVA series, he seems pretty decent in DNT so far.
Personally, Jessica is more likeable in the new series. She looked nothing more like a grieving woman in the OVA series but this episode actually convinced me that she has the potential of becoming a dignified female politician.
May 1, 2018 4:27 PM

Apr 2016
Julian is adorable as always
I love this kiddo
May 1, 2018 4:46 PM

Oct 2011
Those sprinklers sure are strong.. I mean seriously, why are they so strong? Also why would all those men run away after being sprayed by water? That whole scene was a bit cringe imo. Not a bad ep overall tho
May 1, 2018 5:23 PM

Mar 2014
Dask said:
Those sprinklers sure are strong.. I mean seriously, why are they so strong? Also why would all those men run away after being sprayed by water? That whole scene was a bit cringe imo. Not a bad ep overall tho

They double as fire hoses, in the original Yang activated the fire protocol, ramping up the water pressure and at the same time notifying the fire department, when the PKC noticed they attracted too much attention to themselves they decided to run away.
May 1, 2018 5:46 PM

Dec 2016
miguitronik said:
As a guy who still hasn't watched the original, I really liked the fact that the Alliance and the Empire are equally bad and the two main characters just want to make them a better place. It's a nice deviation from the tipical Empire=Bad Guys "Democrats"=Good Guys narrative we've seen so often in all kinds of media. Now I can't wait to see the Iserlohn battle.

If you liked this aspect you should really watch the old OVA which is way better than the new version in general, character have a more strong visual identity, the plot is more developped, soundtrack suit more and many other stuff only thing i think is better in this one is a very few detail like Lao in the first episode.
May 1, 2018 5:56 PM

Dec 2016
There is clearly a problem with rank subs julian already call Yang amiral in the one i saw
May 1, 2018 6:02 PM

Oct 2011
Timeseeker said:
Dask said:

They double as fire hoses, in the original Yang activated the fire protocol, ramping up the water pressure and at the same time notifying the fire department, when the PKC noticed they attracted too much attention to themselves they decided to run away.

Ah you're right. That makes more sense. Been a long time since I saw the original so I forgot exactly how that scene went. Still I feel like after trying to run them off the road and throwing a grenade in his house they gave up rather easily. The original did that scene better imo.
May 1, 2018 6:27 PM

Jun 2009
Well, the dialogue is as sharp as ever. The conversation between Cazellnu (? I forgot how to spell it, my bad) and Yang while the latter sat on the broken table had me chuckling. I really liked the visual of the multiple monitors of Jessica bitching out Trunicht. And, 5 episodes in, I'm mostly cool with the designs. Despite what others say, Cazelllol is probably one of my favorite looks so far. He definitely looks nothing like the original OVA though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 1, 2018 6:35 PM

Oct 2017
Dask said:
Timeseeker said:

Ah you're right. That makes more sense. Been a long time since I saw the original so I forgot exactly how that scene went. Still I feel like after trying to run them off the road and throwing a grenade in his house they gave up rather easily. The original did that scene better imo.

Yeah I think that scene was done better in the original but I like this version with regards to the Patriotic Knight Corps harassing Jessica and Yang. In the original they attack them right outside the place where an interplanetary event of mourning was held and where she said her contrarian views you would think more people would be around there to witness that here they go about it more discreetly.
May 1, 2018 9:30 PM
Jul 2018
Way better well-paced episode compare to last episode (since I think that episode couldnt do any better than that within 22 minute of storytelling). And this is where I find another most interesting aspect of lotgh show about 'clash of ideal' stuff and Truincht's speech was evil-like on giving a second thought and its cool to see how Jessica tries to counterattack his opinion. And lol at the end the way he changed the mood was amusing xD. Also importantly, the character dialogues alone left me thrill throughout whole seconds than other things.
May 1, 2018 10:47 PM

Mar 2009
Water is fucking scary, man.

Yang not standing up is largely relevant to things going on nowadays.
May 2, 2018 12:29 AM

Aug 2014
It's been a while since I've seen the original but Yang and Julian's reactions to when Patriotic Knight Corp came to Yang's house seemed very unrealistic. After they (the Patriotic Knight Corp) threw a grenade into Yang's house followed by Yang spraying them with water causing them to flee, they just casually start talking normally as if nothing really happened, with Yang just sitting on his broken table? huh?? They could've definitely come back if they wanted to, and why not call the police?

Other than that this was a pretty good episode, really liked the pacing compared to the last episode, though, I'm curious, will we not ever see what the Dominion of Fezzan is up to in this one? guess we'll see. I remember some of their faction members being introduced in episode 1 of the original.
May 2, 2018 12:45 AM

Oct 2008
Damn another fine good episode!
So this is where Yang would make is first step to make glory of his name!
5/5.

May 2, 2018 1:08 AM

Oct 2017
Ney02 said:
miguitronik said:

If you liked this aspect you should really watch the old OVA which is way better than the new version in general, character have a more strong visual identity, the plot is more developped, soundtrack suit more and many other stuff only thing i think is better in this one is a very few detail like Lao in the first episode.

That's a subjective opinion honestly the plot wasn't more developed, the battles are more dynamic than in the original and I am not a huge fan of people hiding behind established musical works unless its relevant to the plot (compose your own music). I will agree the characters designs do stick out a bit more though I think the hate for them is exaggerated and there are few like Reinhart and Annerose where I like the new one better.

May 2, 2018 2:45 AM

Jun 2013
Farabeuf said:

Sithole is a real surname actually. Take, for example, Ndabaningi Sithole. And Sithole is used in the DVD subtitles of the original OVA series; Sitolet is used in the earlier LD subtitles, and Central Anime did not update their subtitles to reflect the change.
May 2, 2018 4:17 AM

Dec 2016
North514 said:
Ney02 said:

That's a subjective opinion honestly the plot wasn't more developed, the battles are more dynamic than in the original and I am not a huge fan of people hiding behind established musical works unless its relevant to the plot (compose your own music). I will agree the characters designs do stick out a bit more though I think the hate for them is exaggerated and there are few like Reinhart and Annerose where I like the new one better.

Of course the plot was more developed you got more detail of LOGH lore like iserlorn and humans history
May 2, 2018 4:31 AM

Aug 2014
Yang Wen-li attending the Trunicht speech wasn't in the old anime, but it was in the book. I don't recall the car chase in either of the versions though. Might be just my memory though.

I'm probably coming off as a nagger with my gripes about the character designs, but the Patriotic Knights were more intimidating in the older series, sporting outfits similait to 80's horror serial killers or Mad Max villains and by directly ganging up on people physically. Here they just remind me of those time travelling weirdo scientists from the last Pokemon games.

Also, I usually preferr the westernized names given to characters in the book like Julian Mintz instead of Minci or Casellnes instead of Cazellnu, but oh boy; Sidney Sithole xD

Other than that, it's still a stellar adaptation.
May 2, 2018 4:51 AM

Oct 2017
Ney02 said:
North514 said:

Of course the plot was more developed you got more detail of LOGH lore like iserlorn and humans history

No you really hadn't up until that point. The first 5 episodes never covered the history of humanity that much in depth (honestly more is revealed in the current show though I heard they go into much more depth in the original at episode 40 or so) and the 5th episode was about Kastrop's Rebellion Isherhorn history is only given like 30 seconds of background which again probably will be introduced in the next episode. Phezzan was introduced slightly early in the first episode but thats the only extra info that is and even then not much and probably will be introduced later. Outside of the that amount of lore revealed is about the same.
May 2, 2018 4:57 AM

Dec 2016
North514 said:
Ney02 said:

No you really hadn't up until that point. The first 5 episodes never covered the history of humanity that much in depth (honestly more is revealed in the current show though I heard they go into much more depth in the original at episode 40 or so) and the 5th episode was about Kastrop's Rebellion Isherhorn history is only given like 30 seconds of background which again probably will be introduced in the next episode. Phezzan was introduced slightly early in the first episode but thats the only extra info that is and even then not much and probably will be introduced later. Outside of the that amount of lore revealed is about the same.

I mean in general the new one is too short they will never go in depth like the old one, they just can't waste time on explanation.
Ney02May 2, 2018 5:07 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 10 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

13 by ItachiDeltaForce »»
Jul 11, 2:00 PM

» Should I watch the old/original series?

monad04 - May 12, 2018

23 by Brightless »»
Dec 16, 2023 11:15 AM

» Legend of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These is the 3rd best profit maker for IG Port for 2023

deg - Jul 15, 2023

15 by TRC_Randy »»
Nov 30, 2023 7:01 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 11 Discussion

Ulquiorra - Aug 8, 2018

14 by Robbini »»
Oct 1, 2023 4:00 AM

Poll: » Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu: Die Neue These - Kaikou Episode 12 Discussion

Mayuka - Aug 8, 2018

33 by Sun_Chan »»
Jun 30, 2023 11:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.