3It was OK
46.7%
2Disliked it
6.7%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 3.5
15 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 16, 2009 2:17 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Meh, didn't really care for this one that much. A bat trying to find his place was cool and all, but it didn't have really anything going on that was all that entertaining.
Oct 22, 2009 7:34 AM

May 2007
where do u watch it ?
Jul 2, 2010 6:37 PM

Oct 2009
This is part of Anime Classics Collection Disk 1.

I enjoyed the message here, and the film is certainly competant, but it's pretty basic, 1930 or otherwise.
Jul 2, 2012 9:53 PM

Apr 2012
Hmm quite an interesting fable, more than I expected. I liked the little humourous touches.

I felt sorry for the bat in trying to survive amongst a raging conflict but I guess he enjoyed his ability to opportunistically play both sides too much.

I can't draw an obvious early 20th Century moral if there is one... if this isn't World War I what can it be? Japan is a now-isolated fencesitter? Are they saying Japan shouldn't have seized German colonies during the war and later joined in against the Soviets? That would be quite raw criticism, but Japan and Russia have OK relations by 1930 while America views Japanese military power with suspicion. Manchuria is still a year away. Blah my history is real rusty.
Jul 2, 2012 10:48 PM

Apr 2012
蝙蝠 (Koumori) according to Wiktionary means both Bat and Opportunist, which is pretty interesting.

---------------------

the text on the "title screen" is
漫画 (Manga)
かうもり (Kaumori) (written backwards and in a way that my non-Japanese-reading and long-past-bedtime brain got confused)
Anyway!
BlackoutingJul 5, 2012 1:52 AM
Aug 17, 2013 2:21 PM

Nov 2010
Retro8bit said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Meh, didn't really care for this one that much. A bat trying to find his place was cool and all, but it didn't have really anything going on that was all that entertaining.
I don't think he was trying to find his place but rather trying to take advantage of the situation to survive and steal swords. And then at the end to party and eat good food with all the soldiers.

It was so-so interesting. That is an interesting fact Blackouting, makes sense. I thought the animal war was funny and liked how this showed to people that a bat has both hair and wings. And in it's own way explained why bats don't come out during the day.
Sep 5, 2014 4:20 AM

Oct 2013
seems legit XD
[/quote]
Oct 26, 2014 2:27 PM

Oct 2013
supa bat storiz
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 24, 2015 3:17 PM

Nov 2010
Nice short, interesting story.
Jul 11, 2015 5:29 AM

Dec 2008
I liked it. It took me back to the olde days of cartoons; a simpler more enjoyable time. And as for the reason why bats mainly appear at night, and other comical parts, it was worth the 10 mins. At least 7/10. NOr bad for 'anime" from the 30's ^~~^
Feb 1, 2016 11:57 PM
Feb 2016
I have an anime that are like more from 1960-1970 something I think, it is the exact same story like this one, but not in b&w then. What anime short is that, do anyone know? It must be a remake anyway of this one.
Apr 10, 2019 5:55 PM

Oct 2015
That bat was two-faced, sly and deceitful so I'm glad he got what he deserved.

This was more like a folk/fairy tale, so I enjoyed and it made a bit of sense. 6/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 30, 2019 8:00 PM

Feb 2017
The bat was too greedy in the end, she had nothing to do in this banquet.

6/10
Dec 20, 2019 11:13 AM

Jul 2016
@lanblade what's going on with this movie's title?

I had some difficulty finding this one on mal as I was searching for "Kômori" [imdb] and "Koumori" [AniDB].

To check I went to Yasuji Murata's Japanese wikipedia page.
『漫画 かうもり』、横浜シネマ商会、1930年
The Japanese is definitively ka, not ko.

The Japanese for Bat is 蝙蝠 [コウモリ/ こうもり].
But this movie is "か"! Why is everyone romaji'ing it to "ko"!
But wait, why is it even titled "ka", is it a pun? Kaumori doesn't appear to be a word as far as I can see, except google translates it to umbrella.
Jisho tells me
かわほり: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
So it's some weird combination spelling.

Any idea?

Also
Many of his films are titled like "漫画_x": manga bat or cartoon bat by google translate.
Is there a reason why "manga" is omitted from all these titles on mal/imdb/anidb.
I would assume so since it's consistent across the different DB's, I just don't know why.
I'd understand more if 100% of them were titled that way, but only some are.

Dec 20, 2019 3:40 PM

Jan 2011
mutsuto said:
@lanblade what's going on with this movie's title?

I had some difficulty finding this one on mal as I was searching for "Kômori" [imdb] and "Koumori" [AniDB].

To check I went to Yasuji Murata's Japanese wikipedia page.
『漫画 かうもり』、横浜シネマ商会、1930年
The Japanese is definitively ka, not ko.

The Japanese for Bat is 蝙蝠 [コウモリ/ こうもり].
But this movie is "か"! Why is everyone romaji'ing it to "ko"!
But wait, why is it even titled "ka", is it a pun? Kaumori doesn't appear to be a word as far as I can see, except google translates it to umbrella.
Jisho tells me
かわほり: Out-dated or obsolete kana usage.
So it's some weird combination spelling.

Any idea?

Also
Many of his films are titled like "漫画_x": manga bat or cartoon bat by google translate.
Is there a reason why "manga" is omitted from all these titles on mal/imdb/anidb.
I would assume so since it's consistent across the different DB's, I just don't know why.
I'd understand more if 100% of them were titled that way, but only some are.

Bat used to be pronounced as Kaumori in ye olde Japan. So the title of the film reflects the pronunciation at the time.
Similar to how the work "ask" used to be spelled and pronounced as "ax" (like the lumberjack tool).
There was a discussion about it in the DB change req thread when Digital Meme's release got ripped and the entries were getting updated.

Releasers and other DB sites are free to follow their own rules for ye olde words.

There are also entries which use an old kana spelling but the pronunciation was modern
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37666/3-bu_de_Wakaru_Koizumi_Yakumo_no_Kaidan/moreinfo
The word used to be pronounced with a w in ye olde Japan. Hence why it is spelled with it. The w fell out of favor but the spelling stayed. So like everyone in less-ye-olde Japan knew there was a w in the word but knew not to say it out loud.
Over time the kana got updated to reflect the pronuncation people used so now the modern spelling and pronunciation is both without the w.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_script_reform

The anime entry and setting of work (using Koizumi Yakumo's book from 1904, the same year he died) had the word spelling with a w but the common man did not pronounce it.

So the MAL entry romanization reflects the pronunciation at the time/intention of the piece.
漫画/Manga is not a part of the title, but a designation. B/c anime was brand new so they had only 1 frame of reference for the public to let them know that the item is not a live action film but a moving manga, which were super rare. It's not exclusive to just him
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34969/Tsubo
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34958/Sakana_no_Kuni
https://myanimelist.net/anime/35388/Ameya_Tanuki
https://myanimelist.net/anime/34954/Yoshichirou_no_Keirei (not visible on the main title card but in the video the first scene is the designation "Manga Geki" aka Cartoon Drama. Followed by the sponsor title card. Followed by the actual title's title card.)
Dec 20, 2019 5:28 PM

Jul 2016

Wow that was really interesting, ty.
Manga is not a part of the title, but a designation.
Shouldn't that also the case for movies which have "Movie" or "(Movie)" in their 'title'/'mal title'?

Dec 20, 2019 6:27 PM

Jan 2011
mutsuto said:

Wow that was really interesting, ty.
Manga is not a part of the title, but a designation.
Shouldn't that also the case for movies which have "Movie" or "(Movie)" in their 'title'/'mal title'?

Movie is not a designation for most, it is a part of the kagi title itself
https://youtu.be/ArGCrpxCAiE?t=25

Similar to all those hentai that have "The Animation" in their titles.

There are anime films which do not have Eiga/Gekijouban a part of their kagi title so it is excluded from the romanized name even though they use Eiga/Gekijouban to advertise.
https://rialto-e.co.jp/works/detail/?title=berserk_movie

Animated films which have (Movie) in their title with the parenthesis means that the film has an identical name to another entry and that the film came at a later date. If they were of the same type it would be the year in parenthesis instead. And for some shows it has to be both.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32353/Bonobono_TV_2016
Apr 5, 2020 1:09 AM
Mar 24, 2023 11:26 PM

Dec 2021
I just blanked out.
May 22, 2023 6:40 PM
Oct 2017
Much better animation quality on this one: 
...though subs needs improvement...
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.