Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 7, 2023 4:21 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Well that was a damn nice movie, going into it I wasn’t sure if I’d like it a whole lot because the plot seemed kinda weird from the synopsis and I thought the girls’ story wrapped up nicely at the end of Season 2, but I’m glad I was wrong because this was a very good time.

All the songs banged, the visuals went very nicely with the songs, and of course all the girls had dazzling outfits to go along with it, they all felt fitting for their respective parts of the story too. And even tho this is a movie about Aqours, I think Saint Snow’s song stood out the most, outfits and all, why on earth did those girls not win lol, I just really want a rock oriented Love Live now, but of course I loved Aqours’ songs too lol.

And I did find the plot pretty interesting, the hunt for the graduates in Italy had me thinking we were looking for the tomb of Sir Richard but it’s a good thing for the girls it didn’t quite go that way lol, and Mari’s mom being a villain for a bit was fun but of course a Love Live performance was enough to convince her. Tsuki was also a nice addition, I felt she was kinda random most of the time but I did like her overall, I think she would have fit nicely as a new member too but that sadly didn’t happen. And the ending having the girls finally perform without the 3rd years/graduates was really awesome, they were there for us viewers but I think that was to show they were there in spirit.

But once again, a damn nice movie and I’m really gonna miss Aqours all over again, it was also fun revisiting their original selves after getting used to them in the new Yohane anime lol. Guess one day I’ll have to finally hit the original Love Live anime since I’ve watched this series in a weird order lol.
May 15, 12:34 AM
Oct 2022
Well. Sunshine is finally over. I can only hope it will stay gone, unlike the magic feather and paper airplane they continuously summon in this show. The entirety of Sunshine was a complete mess, and its movie showcased that perfectly. Plot was all over the place. 20 minutes in, I was baffled I still had an hour and 20 minutes left. An hour in, I was dreading having to watch 40 more minutes. This movie could have been half the time, split into 3 episodes even, and it would have made more sense. Plot A: prove to Mari’s mom she can be a successful idol (though I think just showing her they won Love Live and the performance they did there would have been fine). Plot B: Help Leah move on with Saint Snow (I wish this entire series could have just been about Saint Snow since maybe then they could have actually paid attention to their characters beyond caricaturing most of them for moe points). Plot C: Gaining the respect of their new school, so they are relegated to a lesser branch that clearly doesn’t pass for a school environment (again, could have been solved by showing the parents at the new school that they’re national championships- and technically the entire school is a member of Aquors, so that should have made every student sufficiently remarkable.) Aquors has good music. Everything else is just bad. So much promise and for what? I liked these characters from the game series, but watching the show, I feel they’ve all been horribly wronged. Also, the fan service was just absurd- how many songs and scene segways needs a zoom in on the butts of the girls? It’s egregious! Speaking of unnecessary fan service of a different variety- seeing Riko met Chika and You as a kid was so completely unnecessary and contributed nothing, not even sentiment, to the story. I rolled my eyes so hard and out loud asked, “is this necessary??” When we first saw kid Riko meet the other two, and sure enough, by the end it was revealed to be completely unnecessary. Just another means of mirroring muse’s storytelling. The writers seem to have forgotten that the childhood intro to Love Live’s movie made sense because that trio had already been established as having met as children, and the goals Honoka tried to achieve as a kid were something that empowered her in the time the movie took place. In the sunshine movie, it is done with the sole intent of mirroring muse. Even when they show everyone as kids later, it has zero sentiment. Sentiment is something this movie utterly failed at; every scene where characters had deep talks, I would watch the character sit down, stand up, sit down again, face each other, then away, then face the camera, run ahead of the person they were talking to only to turn back to them, walk back from the person they were talking to… It looked like every character had stage queues for where to stand and on which sentence they should move or strike a pose. The amount of times this movie also asked from my suspension of disbelief in a way that completely pulled me out of any sense of immersion was so immense, it often killed any momentum I was trying to cling onto as I miserably and desperately just wanted to finish the Sunshin series just to say I gave it all I could until the end. Do I regret watching this series? A little. Like I said, I had a positive view on these characters and their story from the mobile game, and now I view them all with pity for how terrible their content was and how it didn’t have to be that way. The series often shows the smallest glimpses of what the show could have been between endlessly terrible scenes. I will one day watch the spin off series where they’re all in a fantasy world with hopes that it can do these characters more justice. I don’t want to hate the third years. I want to know who Yohane and Hanamaru are as people and not gimmicks; I want to see You be more than endlessly supportive, Chika simp. I want to see Riko become affected by something instead of constantly swallowing her sadness to cheer up Chika. Chika is already plenty interesting with her switches between hopeful protagonist and agonizing and overwhelmed kid, but I’d love to see her enter a side character role since placing a lot of the shows weight on her ended up making her repetitive. For now, however, I’m done being disappointed by this generation of Love Live. I’m going to rewatch the original because this awful writing full of conveniences and ungrounded scenarios has me questioning, “it can’t be that much worse than the original, right? Did they really fall off this hard, or was the original this bad too?” Then, I’m going to move on to generation 3 and maybe 4. When all else Love Live is watched, I’ll likely watch the fantasy Aquors series, and hopefully then I will have sunshine content that doesn’t make me loudly sigh and beg for it all to be over.
Aug 10, 7:05 PM
Mar 2022
Markerhead said:
Just finished watching it. I love Aqours with all my heart and I finally got to watch this after months of waiting.

But, unfortunately, this movie seemed very odd to me. It was good, but at the same time disappointing. I was expecting something deeper, like with Muse, but it felt like I was just following their shenanigans for almost two hours straight. Whenever it did get into the emotional side of things, or at least when it tried to, it was the same stuff that has been on repeat over and over and over again since the start of sunshine.

The music, apart from Hop Stop Nonstop and Believe Again, was alright. I feel like the recent songs from Aqours have all kind of sounded the same, and it's a shame. I want to hear more of Aqours music and fall in love with it more and more, but with this, I'm not sure anymore. The last song didn't leave me questioning life and in tears like with Muse. I know Aqours isn't disbanding, but I assume this was kind of the goodbye to the anime series. If it wasn't for that last scene after the credits this movie might have left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I feel like the story was kind of a mess. Mari, Dia, and Kanan are lost, the rest of Aqours goes to find them, only to find out they were kind of cheated by Mari's mom, they perform in Italy in, I assume like a day after Mari says to perform live, which makes no sense because I don't know how they would have memorized the choreography to Hop Stop Nonstop, let alone write the lyrics, compose the music, etc, etc. Or maybe I missed something. That's also possible. Then, they came back, and honestly everything after that was a blur and as of the typing of this I've only completed this movie ten minutes ago.

If I had to say what the best thing was about this movie, then I would say that Yoshiko's reaction to seeing her old middle school classmates and getting embarrassed was pure gold. It secured her place at the top of my best girl list even more, I would say.

YOHANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» [Spoilers] Storyline and performance dont match?

TobyFreedom - Mar 9, 2019

2 by Ranka-Nyan »»
Jul 29, 2021 10:35 AM

» [Spoilers] Can someone explain to me the ending of the movie?

dadnaya - Jul 25, 2019

3 by Ranka-Nyan »»
Jul 29, 2021 9:19 AM

» When will I be able to watch?

ZipperNYAN - Dec 17, 2018

22 by MrBluebear »»
Jul 2, 2019 10:34 AM

Poll: » Best Song & Performance in LL Sunshine! Movie Over The Rainbow??

MrBluebear - Mar 30, 2019

0 by MrBluebear »»
Mar 30, 2019 12:04 PM

» Why is the score so low when the stats state otherwise?

JFitz33 - Jan 17, 2019

9 by Gar_Logan »»
Feb 21, 2019 9:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.