Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 21, 10:38 AM
Mar 2014
Anyone else thought it was weird how there was quite a notable amount of fanservice in episode 1, but then every subsequent episode had none at all?

To be clear, I'm not arguing about the fact at all (I prefer it without the fanservice), but I just wanted to share my thoughts on that since I found it a tad strange.

edit: typo
Comet1May 23, 8:43 AM
May 21, 10:47 AM
Mar 2022
Surely you haven't watched the latest episode ๐Ÿ™‚.

And, in general, I don't think that it has disappeared. It's just that the show doesn't try to sexualize stuff like that in any way, so it never attracts attention. It is presented as a mundane, everyday thing, just like it should be.
May 21, 11:02 AM

Feb 2021
It has fan service because it is expected of shows like this to have it.

If you don’t like it don’t watch it simple as that.
May 21, 11:22 AM
Mar 2014
Reply to MadanielFL
It has fan service because it is expected of shows like this to have it.

If you don’t like it don’t watch it simple as that.
@MadanielFL

I never said I had a problem with it tho? I genuinly don't really care about fanservice in general (I was just stating something about it in this show).
May 21, 11:22 AM
Mar 2014
Reply to RandomPerson9348
Surely you haven't watched the latest episode ๐Ÿ™‚.

And, in general, I don't think that it has disappeared. It's just that the show doesn't try to sexualize stuff like that in any way, so it never attracts attention. It is presented as a mundane, everyday thing, just like it should be.
@RandomPerson9348

Haha guess not then, yeah I just finished episode 5.
May 21, 11:38 AM
Aug 2023
It was literally 1 shot from the episode. That’s barely any at all. No, the bath scene was not fanservice as it was not shot in a tantalizing way and it had purpose. Jellyfish doesn’t have fanservice because it’s not a show that needs it.
May 21, 11:56 AM

Jul 2015
We have a lot of feet shots each episode, which makes this anime way better!

No, really. And least one shot like this above per episode. Looks like Frieren set a norm.
PieromyslMay 21, 1:57 PM

May 21, 1:27 PM
Dec 2022
there wasn’t even that much fan service in ep 1 tbh but lord have mercy the amount of feet shots throughout all 7 episodes has been wild ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ™
May 21, 1:55 PM

Nov 2013
Reply to KillLaKillGOAT
It was literally 1 shot from the episode. That’s barely any at all. No, the bath scene was not fanservice as it was not shot in a tantalizing way and it had purpose. Jellyfish doesn’t have fanservice because it’s not a show that needs it.
@KillLaKillGOAT There's a pretty long scene of Mahiru in the bathroom as she's talking with her sister at the start of episode 1. Camera POV on her is obviously intentional fanservice. Then there's the bath scene later, and shortly after camera again is "conveniently" focused on Mahiru's butt and feet for some time. These are all done intentionally and purely for fanservice reasons.

That's why I agree with OP. I've mentioned this before somewhere (I think it was a similar thread), it's become a somewhat common tactic for certain anime/manga to "bait" people with fanservice in first few episodes/chapters and then drop it entirely later on, or dramatically tone it down - which is the case with this show too. As @Piromysl says, there are fanservice shots later on too, but episode 1 in particular had shameless "in your face" fanservice moments which is undeniable (Edit: Just finished episode 7, and oh boy... -_- truly a shame...).

In my personal opinion it's insulting that anime/manga have to resort to such tactics (makes you think the author had low expectations or maybe even considers the show to be garbage/uninteresting and hence resorted to such tactic to gain more attention), but hey... it's business at the end of the day. If it works, it works. IMO it's sad, but still a reality.
Sigmar-UnberogenMay 21, 2:28 PM
May 21, 1:56 PM
Jul 2022
namesrowan said:
there wasn’t even that much fan service in ep 1 tbh but lord have mercy the amount of feet shots throughout all 7 episodes has been wild ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ™

This is going to be like Frieren all over again. I don't notice the feet shots until someone points it out, then I can't avoid them.
May 21, 2:05 PM

Apr 2012
I have a feeling the logic behind this pattern goes something like "you don't know who this character is at this point, so let's show some skin so you''ll be interested in her. Okay, you do know her now, no need for that any more."
May 21, 4:50 PM

Apr 2010
People seem to be unware the director grow up in Xebec.

Fan service is on his veins, it's part of his (very based) identity.

That's the trend with ex Xebec directors, they all learned well.
May 21, 7:14 PM
Aug 2023
Reply to Sigmar-Unberogen
@KillLaKillGOAT There's a pretty long scene of Mahiru in the bathroom as she's talking with her sister at the start of episode 1. Camera POV on her is obviously intentional fanservice. Then there's the bath scene later, and shortly after camera again is "conveniently" focused on Mahiru's butt and feet for some time. These are all done intentionally and purely for fanservice reasons.

That's why I agree with OP. I've mentioned this before somewhere (I think it was a similar thread), it's become a somewhat common tactic for certain anime/manga to "bait" people with fanservice in first few episodes/chapters and then drop it entirely later on, or dramatically tone it down - which is the case with this show too. As @Piromysl says, there are fanservice shots later on too, but episode 1 in particular had shameless "in your face" fanservice moments which is undeniable (Edit: Just finished episode 7, and oh boy... -_- truly a shame...).

In my personal opinion it's insulting that anime/manga have to resort to such tactics (makes you think the author had low expectations or maybe even considers the show to be garbage/uninteresting and hence resorted to such tactic to gain more attention), but hey... it's business at the end of the day. If it works, it works. IMO it's sad, but still a reality.
@Sigmar-Unberogen The camera didn’t focus on her ass. It was a zoomed out shot that showed the entire bathroom. YOU’RE the one who’s making it sexual by viewing it exclusively in that matter. Baths and nakedness generally represent vulnerability and one’s true self, which Mahiru was being in that scene. She’s by herself with no guiding light for her jellyfish, which is the purpose of it being a bath scene. The first episode of Jellyfish has immaculate direction and basically everything has a purpose. It’s chock full of symbolism, characterization, and purposeful direction, which is why it remains my favourite episode of the show so far.

The only actually piece of fanservice is the one or two shots down Mahiru’s blouse when she’s talking to her sister.
KillLaKillGOATMay 21, 7:21 PM
May 22, 12:36 AM

Nov 2013
Reply to KillLaKillGOAT
@Sigmar-Unberogen The camera didn’t focus on her ass. It was a zoomed out shot that showed the entire bathroom. YOU’RE the one who’s making it sexual by viewing it exclusively in that matter. Baths and nakedness generally represent vulnerability and one’s true self, which Mahiru was being in that scene. She’s by herself with no guiding light for her jellyfish, which is the purpose of it being a bath scene. The first episode of Jellyfish has immaculate direction and basically everything has a purpose. It’s chock full of symbolism, characterization, and purposeful direction, which is why it remains my favourite episode of the show so far.

The only actually piece of fanservice is the one or two shots down Mahiru’s blouse when she’s talking to her sister.
KillLaKillGOAT said:
The camera didn’t focus on her ass.
Rewatch episode 1 and pay attention when your read please. I said "Then there's the bath scene later, and shortly after camera again is "conveniently" focused on Mahiru's butt and feet". I'm talking about a scene AFTER the bath when she's on the bed as she's on the phone with Kano. That angle and time spent on it was unnecessary.
KillLaKillGOAT said:
YOU’RE the one who’s making it sexual
Of course you'd say that. Typical childish "counter"-argument. Ignorance is a choice.
KillLaKillGOAT said:
Baths and nakedness generally represent vulnerability and one’s true self, which Mahiru was being in that scene. She’s by herself with no guiding light for her jellyfish, which is the purpose of it being a bath scene. The first episode of Jellyfish has immaculate direction and basically everything has a purpose.
Sounds like a hard cope to me, from someone who loved this episode very much. "no no it's the symbolism!!!". Sure, you do you, you can interpret it that way if you like.
KillLaKillGOAT said:
Oh, the "actual" fanservice. So we understand the concept. Why not pretend that shot was symbolism of something else also? If you try hard enough, you can come up with an excuse here too.

The point is, once you've seen 300+ anime you'll notice how "more often than not" the intention behind such scenes is indeed unnecessary sexualization and fanservice meant to attract bigger audience, rather than symbolisms. Latest episode #7 has unfortunately demonstrated how this show can fall low and is not so different from other mid shows which waste time on totally unnecessary BS. At this point I won't be surprised if we get a beach episode too to be honest. It's truly disappointing. Don't get me wrong though. I'm not hating this show, but to me it will no longer be something special; unless something incredible/extraordinary happens in the next episodes, of course.
May 22, 3:23 AM
May 2022
I actually don't even remember any fan service in any episode.
May 22, 4:57 AM
Feb 2018
I saw those scenes in EP1 as them just wanting to show off art and animation skills as most do in EP1.
May 22, 6:50 AM

Feb 2019
That bath scene in episode 1 was such a great treat
May 22, 8:31 PM

Apr 2022
Train to the end of the world has a similar issue

No fanservice but then the latest episode, bam! Panty shots!
May 23, 4:00 AM

Jul 2015
Reply to KillLaKillGOAT

@KillLaKillGOAT Bro, you can't deny that numerous feet shots I have pointed out we have each episode aren't deliberate. They made them stompers so detailed and focused on for a reason. Frieren did a little bit of revolution.
PieromyslMay 26, 7:48 AM

May 23, 4:14 AM

Jan 2024
I'm sure you haven't watched the 7th ep

It's okay if you forget me.

May 23, 8:39 AM
Mar 2014
Reply to logopolis
I have a feeling the logic behind this pattern goes something like "you don't know who this character is at this point, so let's show some skin so you''ll be interested in her. Okay, you do know her now, no need for that any more."
@logopolis

Yeah I kinda agree; it is a bait-tactic to get people interested in the show from the first episode. I don't blame them coming from a show that has no source material for people to be hype about... but yeah, it was definitely pretty blatant in the first episode, then cut down a lot moving forward.
May 23, 8:39 AM
Mar 2014
Reply to Animeistaken
I'm sure you haven't watched the 7th ep
@Animeistaken I have now! But at the time of writing this I didn't.
May 23, 4:25 PM

Jan 2024
Reply to Comet1
@Animeistaken I have now! But at the time of writing this I didn't.
@Comet1 Ahh, Good day!

It's okay if you forget me.

May 26, 4:18 AM
Oct 2023
Dan_ALves said:
I actually don't even remember any fan service in any episode.

Neither do I.. I'm seeing the comments and still can't recall anything seeming s*xualized..
May 26, 6:55 PM
May 2024
Show is trash. Go watch breaking bad
May 27, 1:51 PM
Apr 2023
I want more fanservice!
Jun 6, 9:26 AM
White Whistle

Feb 2018
Reply to saikyozero
I want more fanservice!
@saikyozero true

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 11

131 by Assassin2112 »»
Sep 27, 11:07 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 13

135 by BabyBlouie »»
Sep 9, 5:32 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 22

192 by ProofByColor »»
Sep 8, 3:41 PM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15

112 by Ashhk »»
Aug 24, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Yoru no Kurage wa Oyogenai Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8

134 by Ashhk »»
Aug 23, 11:35 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.