Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 29, 9:07 AM

Jun 2019
English subtitling for the first episode was downright atrocious. I've since seen the second and third episodes and while not great, didn't seem as bad, but I'd have to rewatch and compare them side by side. This is just one of around 15 seasonals I've been watching and while it's not near the top of my favorites anyway, it still has a lot of interesting elements and appeal which is sadly taken away from when the subs are so bad. I've noticed this with some Chinese anime (donghua) series too in the past, where a series I actually wanted to watch I ended up not doing so as I just couldn't stand it (even worse in that case as whether passive or active listening, I'll understand essentially zero spoken Mandarin Chinese as opposed to Japanese). Even some high profile big name donghua series have low quality subs like this. It's unfair to blame the show itself for this, but it is what it is. It seriously hampers enjoyment and takes you out of it, like watching something with a blurry flickering image or barely audible audio.

Anyway, just wondering if it's still going through machine-translation or if it's been picked up by a fansubber group yet and if so, do the episodes come out on a delayed schedule somewhere? I found spotty inconsistent information about this elsewhere on the internet. Unlike some series which had this problem, this one either seems even less popular or that so many people disliked or hated the first episode (either because of the content of the show itself, the garbage subs, or both) that I haven't found much about it since episode one.

If there is some resource which can't be mentioned or given a link to here due to MAL policies, then I'd appreciate anyone - Blue Archive hardcore fans or whoever, just dropping a private message to me whenever you can.

Thanks.

Apr 29, 11:03 AM

Feb 2021
The subs for all the 4 episodes released as of writing this are by Ani-One Asia, and yeah, they're not that great. A couple fan subs exist, and Kaleido-subs seem the best, but you have to wait around a week for them to release.
Apr 29, 11:10 AM

Feb 2021
Asian services are known for having bad subs, since most of their translators are not native English speakers.

The best subs usually come from American licensors...
Apr 29, 11:43 AM

Jun 2019
Embient said:
The subs for all the 4 episodes released as of writing this are by Ani-One Asia, and yeah, they're not that great. A couple fan subs exist, and Kaleido-subs seem the best, but you have to wait around a week for them to release.

Thanks - This is the perfect answer and I'm very glad to hear it's been picked up by someone better. I really wanted to continue watching this series, but I just can't stand the terrible subs. It really serves to hamper and break my immersion or care about what's going on. I was considering dropping it otherwise but glad that nuclear option doesn't seem like it will be necessary. Hopefully they continue with the season until full completion. I've definitely heard this Kaleido sub group name in passing too, and maybe it was in reference to Blue Archive the Animation on Reddit, Anilist, or somewhere, but didn't connect the dots.

I'll definitely just wait the week or however long until they come out, because that doesn't phase me at all. It's common for me not to even watch shows on the day they air by choice but sometime later in the week or whenever anyway.

You are glorious.

MadanielFL said:
Asian services are known for having bad subs, since most of their translators are not native English speakers.

The best subs usually come from American licensors...

Whether you're talking about using an official streaming service which hosts series which have been licensed in the U.S., or even a third party pirate website which rips those official versions, either way it's not an option in this case because the series hasn't been licensed in the U.S.
Apr 29, 11:51 AM

Feb 2021
WatchTillTandava said:
Whether you're talking about using an official streaming service which hosts series which have been licensed in the U.S., or even a third party pirate website which rips those official versions, either way it's not an option in this case because the series hasn't been licensed in the U.S.
Exactly, I know that.

I'm just saying this because some people actually believe that American licensors have horrible translations, and that the Asian services actually have better subs than them, which is completely untrue.
Apr 29, 11:59 AM

Jun 2019
MadanielFL said:
Exactly, I know that.

I'm just saying this because some people actually believe that American licensors have horrible translations, and that the Asian services actually have better subs than them, which is completely untrue.

Oh yeah, I agree with that.

I'm a native English speaker. I know the difference between subs which maybe at times have a slightly different flavor, or localize a little too much, or so on versus actual incoherent borderline incomprehensible English. I even dislike when I go back to rewatch a series or part of it that I watched once before and find different subs ever so slightly changing the names and wording of things compared to how I originally saw it, even if those changes in and of themselves are reasonable and perfectly fine and the subs themselves are not of bad quality. I have preferences for subs, but my individual preferences are not that big a deal and can be overlooked and gotten past to watch an otherwise interesting and good series.

But the shitty English ones I just cannot. Even if I understand what they're trying to say, which I usually do, they're just too irritating as to become unwatchable for me.

Unfortunately, it's the exact same situation with another seasonal I'm watching this season which is also unlicensed in the U.S. or any English-speaking country - Girls Band Cry. And now with this (Blue Archive the Animation), just like that, it looks like I'll be torrenting as a result. Which isn't a big deal. Much better than trying to watch subs with bad English.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Blue Archive the Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

YuudachiFR - Apr 7

252 by Scootboi »»
Yesterday, 10:23 AM

Poll: » Blue Archive the Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Xanek - Jun 23

67 by Ashhk »»
Sep 1, 11:58 PM

Poll: » Blue Archive the Animation Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Xanek - Jun 16

55 by Ashhk »»
Sep 1, 11:27 PM

Poll: » Blue Archive the Animation Episode 10 Discussion

Xanek - Jun 9

25 by Ashhk »»
Sep 1, 2:54 PM

Poll: » Blue Archive the Animation Episode 9 Discussion

Xanek - Jun 2

23 by Ashhk »»
Sep 1, 2:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.